Turbro Miata. To ruin or not to ruin?

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 pm
What're you doing to the current engine?
Acid bath, deck the head, forged rods, acl race bearing kit, replace the gaskets and seals, boundary engineering oil pump. And slap it back into the car for more fuel and boost. Well beyond my capability. But I have people who know what they are doing. from what im told this is more of a budget build. Im not planning to push this car past about 250-275.
ok lets discuss the Barnes93cb miata money fire.

You bought an engine. ok. sure, spares are fine.
BUt you are talking like yous is bad when you have not:
done a compression test
a leakdown test
actually measured oil consumption.

On top of that you are planing the stupidest miata build in history. Going to forged rods for no reason I can tell. Stock bottom end is good for your power goals. BUT the heads....not so much. You need to start using pretty stupid boost levels to get that kind of power because the miata head won't flow that much air very well. You can stay with the same size turbo and make the power by improving flow in the heads. (P&P, cams, valve jerb)

Upgraded oil pump is also waste of money. the stocer is fine, but at certain power levels it can eat itself due to harmonic vibration.....BUT THIS IS NOT THE OIL PUMP FAILING. iTS INADEQUATE HARMONIC BALANCING. the crack rock you seek is the ati superdamper, that's the smart money to spend.

buy this book, read
https://www.amazon.com/Mazda-Performanc ... 0760316201

You say it has an FMII trubo kit? Keith Tanner (that autor) works at FM and likely designed a lot of that system. Send him some emails and pick his brain. They sell good shit and have legendary product support.

Or listen to you buddies and spend a bunch of money for zero gains and not fix any problems while you are at it. :fax:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:27 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Acid bath, deck the head, forged rods, acl race bearing kit, replace the gaskets and seals, boundary engineering oil pump. And slap it back into the car for more fuel and boost. Well beyond my capability. But I have people who know what they are doing. from what im told this is more of a budget build. Im not planning to push this car past about 250-275.
ok lets discuss the Barnes93cb miata money fire.

You bought an engine. ok. sure, spares are fine.
BUt you are talking like yous is bad when you have not:
done a compression test
a leakdown test
actually measured oil consumption.

On top of that you are planing the stupidest miata build in history. Going to forged rods for no reason I can tell. Stock bottom end is good for your power goals. BUT the heads....not so much. You need to start using pretty stupid boost levels to get that kind of power because the miata head won't flow that much air very well. You can stay with the same size turbo and make the power by improving flow in the heads. (P&P, cams, valve jerb)

Upgraded oil pump is also waste of money. the stocer is fine, but at certain power levels it can eat itself due to harmonic vibration.....BUT THIS IS NOT THE OIL PUMP FAILING. iTS INADEQUATE HARMONIC BALANCING. the crack rock you seek is the ati superdamper, that's the smart money to spend.

buy this book, read
https://www.amazon.com/Mazda-Performanc ... 0760316201

You say it has an FMII trubo kit? Keith Tanner (that autor) works at FM and likely designed a lot of that system. Send him some emails and pick his brain. They sell good shit and have legendary product support.

Or listen to you buddies and spend a bunch of money for zero gains and not fix any problems while you are at it. :fax:
I know nothing about Miata engines, but know a lot about engines in general, and dis :fax: here should be gospel.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

also the NA, supercharged power guys have more issues with oil pumps and need the damper upgrade due to the fact that there is less force on the piston on the exhaust stroke, IE the difference in cylinder pressures for a given power level is greater. Also the SC guys are running 10-20 hp though the crank too, that a lot more mass for the damper to :dill: with.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Updates to the car.

After I installed the coilovers I've been rubbing everywhere. They're almost max height. I refuse to run excessive camber. I hate the ugly 17s that are on the car. So I have ordered some 15s for the car and some stickier tires.

I also decided to listen to the forum and ditched the engine build idea. A few oil changes to the car and everything seems to be okay after a few hundred miles. I'm still nervous but over time that should pass.

I'm watching my oil much closer now and there doesn't seem to be much consumption. I still don't know the cause of before.

I really need to do my clutch and rear main seal.

I purchased a shifter rebuild. My car is so much sloppier than other miatas ive been in.

This should be everything on the list before I deploy again in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Glad things are cleared up man. Brad made many solid points and I know he's experienced with modifying Miatas.

That bushing kit for the shifter should help a lot, I saw your snaps, mine was like that too, when I got it.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 am Glad things are cleared up man. Brad made many solid points and I know he's experienced with modifying Miatas.

That bushing kit for the shifter should help a lot, I saw your snaps, mine was like that too, when I got it.
I will load the photos into here one of these days. The new bushing kit has made a huge difference in the car. Everything is more crisp and most of the slop is gone. Also much of the heat from the transmission tunnel has disappeared.

I still hate the clutch in the car. It slipping and I think the alignment may be off some. I should be changing it out in a few weeks. Im waiting for my friends to have some time to assist my newb self.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:35 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 am Glad things are cleared up man. Brad made many solid points and I know he's experienced with modifying Miatas.

I will load the photos into here one of these days. The new bushing kit has made a huge difference in the car. Everything is more crisp and most of the slop is gone. Also much of the heat from the transmission tunnel has disappeared.

I still hate the clutch in the car. It slipping and I think the alignment may be off some. I should be changing it out in a few weeks. Im waiting for my friends to have some time to assist my newb self.
:notsure: Clutches dont get 'out of alignment' once installed in a car.....
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 am

:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 am

IDK I dont mechanic. I am just going by what ive been told. Hence why im waiting for someone who actually knows what theyre doing to teach me.
Barnes93cb

Ordered a fender roller to reduce the rubbing my car has en endure. Im hoping this and the 15s will give me a super :stig: setup. And then I can go race all the mustangs.
Barnes93cb

A small update for the car. I finally installed my harness bar that’s been sitting in the garage for two months. Install was pretty easy, but I do not like how the spacers are not cut to size. In the next few weeks I will find someone with a saw or just buy one myself and cut some tubing to fit tight. I believe the harnesses may be in wrong. I’ll look up a proper install and redo them if needed.

I swapped the trunk. So no more ghetto spoiler mounts. The spoiler is headed to the dump. During this process I broke one of the tag lights. I’ll go by Mazda tomorrow to grab another.

Also the past few days my brake light has been coming on with the new cold weather. Fluid and pads seem fine. This leads me to believe there is a sensor going bad. Further research is needed on this subject.

The car is being prepped for minimum use the next 7 months. I will be deploying and the car will be started enough to run a tank of gas and prevent the tires from getting flat spots. In anticipation of this I will be installing the wide band and gauge pod before I leave in a month.

After that the car is getting a final inspection to make sure its ready when I come back. Once back I will install the braineak MS3 ecu I purchased.
Last edited by Barnes93cb on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

those bumper flares doe :wub:

:trollface:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Barnes93cb

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:14 pm those bumper flares doe :wub:

:trollface:
I really need to get the OEM skirts for the car. These aftermarket ones are:
1) Beat up
2) Old
3) Uglier than anything I can think of
4) Ghetto
5) Super rice
Barnes93cb

More parts ordered for the car. Just bought an oil pressure gauge. This way if my car starts to blow oil out again I will hopefully notice it a bit easier.

I need to find a way to clean everything up. I dont desire gauges everywhere. AFR, boost, and Oil pressure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 pm Updates to the car.

After I installed the coilovers I've been rubbing everywhere. They're almost max height. I refuse to run excessive camber. I hate the ugly 17s that are on the car. So I have ordered some 15s for the car and some stickier tires.

I also decided to listen to the forum and ditched the engine build idea. A few oil changes to the car and everything seems to be okay after a few hundred miles. I'm still nervous but over time that should pass.

I'm watching my oil much closer now and there doesn't seem to be much consumption. I still don't know the cause of before.

I purchased a shifter rebuild. My car is so much sloppier than other miatas ive been in.

dang. i have these 15x7 rpf1s just sitting for a miata.
Barnes93cb

dubshow wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:57 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 pm Updates to the car.

dang. i have these 15x7 rpf1s just sitting for a miata.
Im not against a second set of wheels if you still have them in 7 months. The wife might kill me if I buy a second set of wheels so soon. And im about to deploy.
Barnes93cb

This Miata clutch replacement is about the worst thing ever. Removing all the trans bolts and dropping it from the car took no time at all.

But the damn exhaust that was in the way took hours! I was about to grab a torch and a saw.

There was no progress on the car today. It was a packing day and I had to help my brother go pick up a bed cover for his truck

Tomorrow I am alone but unafraid. I will get this damn car back together.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:13 am This Miata clutch replacement is about the worst thing ever. Removing all the trans bolts and dropping it from the car took no time at all.

But the damn exhaust that was in the way took hours! I was about to grab a torch and a saw.

There was no progress on the car today. It was a packing day and I had to help my brother go pick up a bed cover for his truck

:idbu:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:13 am This Miata clutch replacement is about the worst thing ever. Removing all the trans bolts and dropping it from the car took no time at all.

:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

Good for you tackling this! It's really the best way to learn stuff...and the feeling when it's all done and working is beyond :fuckyeah:

Epic journey, in4updates

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Hopefully he remembers to service that muffler bearing while he is in there.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:52 am Good for you tackling this! It's really the best way to learn stuff...and the feeling when it's all done and working is beyond :fuckyeah:

Epic journey, in4updates

Looking forward to frustrations and thrown wrenches.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:24 am Hopefully he remembers to service that muffler bearing while he is in there.
I'm sure he will.

Only a real rookie would miss that.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:53 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:52 am Good for you tackling this! It's really the best way to learn stuff...and the feeling when it's all done and working is beyond :fuckyeah:

Epic journey, in4updates

Burn it to the ground.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:53 am

Epic journey, in4updates

My normal project progression:

:fuckyeah: :rage: :rage: :rage: :fuckyeah: :rage: :rage: :fuckyeah: :rage: :rage: :rage: :hellno: :fuckyeah: :thisisfine: :wasteful: :dafuq: :rage: :rage: :math: :hellno: :drunk: :drunk: :triggered: :zing: :fuckyeah: :fuckyeah: :roasted: :bravo: :bow: