Waxer's Haus of Wax

Strut your greasy stuff!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 am About to pull the trigger and order SwissTrax flooring for the garage to replace all the RaceDeck tiles I installed a few years ago.

The RaceDeck is good, but after getting a sample of a couple of the SwissTrax tiles I am blown away. The SwissTrax is 3/4 of an inch thick vs 1/2 inch on the RaceDeck tiles, which make them much more rigid and they also don't seem to "clack" when you walk on them. They are working a deal with me on a special for 20% off, flat rate $199 shipping free edging pieces (ramp like for the garage entrance) and a discount to offset sales tax.

Need to pick my color scheme, then order them. Will clean up the RaceDeck and put it on :crang: slist.
serious question: what's wrong with concrete?
My concrete has an epoxy I put down and then proceeded to scrape to shit with the lift, ramps, and jack stands. I do not want to grind it off fully to refinish the concrete and would rather use the tiles that allow you to do custom designs and make the floor look nice.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:46 am

My concrete has an epoxy I put down and then proceeded to scrape to shit with the lift, ramps, and jack stands. I do not want to grind it off fully to refinish the concrete and would rather use the tiles that allow you to do custom designs and make the floor look nice.
:word:

I realized that lesson with my last garage.... dont epoxy just seal. New house I had them seal the garage for me :like:
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 am About to pull the trigger and order SwissTrax flooring for the garage to replace all the RaceDeck tiles I installed a few years ago.

The RaceDeck is good, but after getting a sample of a couple of the SwissTrax tiles I am blown away. The SwissTrax is 3/4 of an inch thick vs 1/2 inch on the RaceDeck tiles, which make them much more rigid and they also don't seem to "clack" when you walk on them. They are working a deal with me on a special for 20% off, flat rate $199 shipping free edging pieces (ramp like for the garage entrance) and a discount to offset sales tax.

Need to pick my color scheme, then order them. Will clean up the RaceDeck and put it on :crang: slist.
I work with someone who did swisstrax in their garage and she can't stop raving about it. Looks 5/7, definitely worth the price premium over racedeck.
Yeah, they sent me a few tiles to get an idea and the quality is clearly MUCH better and worth the extra money to me.

Also, my race deck tiles will "tent" if I keep the garage door open and the sun hits them. They expand too much and then cause the tenting, or bowing of the tiles.... they lift about 3 inches off the ground and "wave" across the garage door opening.Close the door and they cool down and flatten out. The SwissTrax claim they won't do this as they have the expansion gap built into the click-lock on the tiles and you can install them wall to wall without an expansion gap.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:48 am

:word:

I realized that lesson with my last garage.... dont epoxy just seal. New house I had them seal the garage for me :like:
Yes, the next one will be a polished and sealed concrete floor for some sweet natural look.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Ordered the SwissTrax flooring today.

Went with Slate Gray with a Jet Back "ring" accent strip that will run around the garage. Also bought some tiles, edges and corners to make motorcycle pads. Orange & Black for the HD and Red & White for the Ducati.

The HD pad will look kind of like this:

the Ducati will be like that but in Red/White.

Also bought this cutter so I can get cleaner edges since the tablesaw kind of melts the plastic when it cuts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Just about $2500 for the tiles shipped.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:popcorn:

I wish I had a floor even enough to put this on.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:51 pm :popcorn:

Get to work, I know you can do it.

:lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:51 pm :popcorn:

Oh believe me, I've thought about it. The garage needs a ton of work, doe...it'll probably fall down within 10 years. Putting that much work into the floor is :butwhy:

I'd really rather just move to a newer house/garage instead.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Oh believe me, I've thought about it. The garage needs a ton of work, doe...it'll probably fall down within 10 years. Putting that much work into the floor is :butwhy:

I hear that Santa Barbara is nice
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:09 pm

I hear that Santa Barbara is nice
I'd be there if there were jobs for me.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

So if you sell a bike or replace it do you buy a new section of floor to match the new bike / match the rest of floor if bike will not be replaced?

The expansion thing would annoy the shit out of me.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 pm So if you sell a bike or replace it do you buy a new section of floor to match the new bike / match the rest of floor if bike will not be replaced?

The expansion thing would annoy the shit out of me.
I decided not to lay the bike pads into the floor and instead they will sit on top of the normal floor colors.

I was going to build them in, but I'll probably move the garage around 5 times in the next year..
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

New houses don't offer enough Pinshit opportunities.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So you're saying if I do a fancy epoxy pattern on my garage that using a quick jack will fuck it all up?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:25 pm

So you're saying if I do a fancy epoxy pattern on my garage that using a quick jack will fuck it all up?
If you slide it around on the floor side to side? Probably will scuff the epoxy somewhere. Rolling on the wheels is fine or lifting it slightly when sliding it will help.

My scrapes were from the generic jack stand and old KwikLift with approach ramps, like this one:

Also, my heavy duty floor jack added it it too. I won't do epoxy ever again since my experience sucked.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm

If you slide it around on the floor side to side? Probably will scuff the epoxy somewhere. Rolling on the wheels is fine or lifting it slightly when sliding it will help.

My scrapes were from the generic jack stand and old KwikLift with approach ramps, like this one:

Also, my heavy duty floor jack added it it too. I won't do epoxy ever again since my experience sucked.
When you create a smooth, glass like surface and then roll a bunch of metal on it, it stands to reason shit will happen. Investigating Swiss Trax.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:34 pm

When you create a smooth, glass like surface and then roll a bunch of metal on it, it stands to reason shit will happen. Investigating Swiss Trax.
For full disclosure, my epoxy was a DIY kit from Rustoleum. I followed the procedures exactly as they described and even etched the floor first, but I was never really happy with the results. Maybe the professionally applied epoxy would be better, but it was also much more expensive and still pretty much just a paint so I didn't look into it any more than that.
SixSpeeder

SwissTrax are cool, my only issue with them is that debris gets caught in them and it's harder to clean than a smooth surface.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:07 pm

SwissTrax are cool, my only issue with them is that debris gets caught in them and it's harder to clean than a smooth surface.
Well there are a lot of types of Swisstrax besides the ribbed ones. I'm not sure I understand the ribbed ones in fact.....https://www.swisstrax.com/garage/
SixSpeeder

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:25 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Well there are a lot of types of Swisstrax besides the ribbed ones. I'm not sure I understand the ribbed ones in fact.....https://www.swisstrax.com/garage/
Oh :notbad:

Yeah, I was talking about the ribtrax
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dat car, :doe: :jizz:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:25 pm

Oh :notbad:

Yeah, I was talking about the ribtrax
I ordered all Ribtrax but :aintcare: about the debris, I have a strong shop vac that will pull anything up.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:00 pm

Here's a couple pics of my 2004 C5 from when I sold it in 2006:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:00 pm

:notbad: :jizz:

You're on your fourth or fifth Corvette? I saw a C6GS yesterday... Ze wants are present.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:53 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 pm

:notbad: :jizz:

You're on your fourth or fifth Corvette? I saw a C6GS yesterday... Ze wants are present.
Fourth.

2004 1SB coupe Machine Silver
2011 Grand Sport 2LT Blade Silver
2014 Z51 Arctic White
2016 Z06/Z07 Blade Silver

The C6GS was a fun car, but if the price isn't too much different I would C7 Z51 all day long over it.