Waxer's Haus of Wax

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 am
I dunno...top dollar seems to go to 100% unmolested cars. I absolutely did mine right, zero corners were cut...but the fact that it's modded at all is going to drop the value significantly from what I can tell from 6 month sales data. A 55k mile 100% stock C5 that's super clean would command :notbad: money still. A 55k heads/cam car...will limit the market to "WTB C5 MODS ENCOURAGE $10K MAX" kids, and thus the value is shit. Kids have realized that C5's are cheap and the market seems to be driven down as a result. Not factoring in how much I paid for parts, I think I'm stuck with it for the long term. Not a bad thing, but every time I see a new Sebring Orange C7, I get an immense feeling of regret. I want one so bad.

:lolol: :plac: :derp:
Well, yeah... I always consider mods lost money. I threw a boatload of money into my 1999 Camaro SS when I did heads and cam and everything else on it and it accounted for absolutely nothing on the resale value. It did take a little while to find a buyer, but not too long.
If I were you I would probably consider just keeping it and adding a C7Z later to sit beside it and keep it company all winter. :)
Oh yeah, mod money is always flush. Just seems that in this case it also detracted value, but who knows. Maybe you're right that it'll just take longer to find the right buyer.

I'd love to add another to the fleet. Problem is space. I don't think I want to juggle more than 3 cars unless I can build a bigger garage, which is tough where we live. And I don't think I'd want to drive a Corvette in the winter.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 am

Well, yeah... I always consider mods lost money. I threw a boatload of money into my 1999 Camaro SS when I did heads and cam and everything else on it and it accounted for absolutely nothing on the resale value. It did take a little while to find a buyer, but not too long.
If I were you I would probably consider just keeping it and adding a C7Z later to sit beside it and keep it company all winter. :)
Oh yeah, mod money is always flush. Just seems that in this case it also detracted value, but who knows. Maybe you're right that it'll just take longer to find the right buyer.

I'd love to add another to the fleet. Problem is space. I don't think I want to juggle more than 3 cars unless I can build a bigger garage, which is tough where we live. And I don't think I'd want to drive a Corvette in the winter.
Someone has a dad with a garage bigger than :crang: mom's place. #justsayin....
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 am Well, yeah... I always consider mods lost money. I threw a boatload of money into my 1999 Camaro SS when I did heads and cam and everything else on it and it accounted for absolutely nothing on the resale value. It did take a little while to find a buyer, but not too long.

I don't think your car is worth any less, but if you wanted to sell it you'd do well to put some good tarz on it to make a complete package.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:30 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am

Permanent car storage is a no go. I've already asked. :lolol:

He said that I can "build my own damned garage" if I want more storage. But I can use his to fix shit. Maybe I just buy a broken car and leave it there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:30 am

He said that I can "build my own damned garage" if I want more storage. But I can use his to fix shit. Maybe I just buy a broken car and leave it there.
Hah, so Pops isn't a push-over. Good for him.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 am
Detroit wrote: Oh yeah, mod money is always flush. Just seems that in this case it also detracted value, but who knows. Maybe you're right that it'll just take longer to find the right buyer.

I don't think your car is worth any less, but if you wanted to sell it you'd do well to put some good tarz on it to make a complete package.
That's happening no matter what this spring. Replace the TPMS finally and good fresh tires likely the continental sport whatevers in 295 square. I also have the 6 pot Wilwoods to put on the front. The car would be a great package that needs absolutely nothing for the right buyer. But it's also my vision of a perfect C5, so selling it is pure :plac:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:44 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 am

Hah, so Pops isn't a push-over. Good for him.
He's a nice guy, but momma crang he is not. You don't get to the point of building garagemahals by being a push-over. I respect that. I'd tell my kid the exact same thing. I'm just grateful that he let's me use the lift and heated garage whenever.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Okay.... serious :wtf: going on at the Jeep dealer.

My CC was refunded on Saturday and hit my card. Last night I got an email from the salesman with an attachment.... it's the order slip with a VON.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

So, they had no allocations on Wed and Thursday, but the order date is Friday, a day after I had them start the refund.

I emailed him back this morning and basically told him I would leave it up to him since they placed the order. I can give another deposit, or they can cancel it and I will move on... either way is fine with me. We'll see where this goes, but I suspect it will be "we cancelled it".
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:30 pm Okay.... serious :wtf: going on at the Jeep dealer.

My CC was refunded on Saturday and hit my card. Last night I got an email from the salesman with an attachment.... it's the order slip with a VON.

So, they had no allocations on Wed and Thursday, but the order date is Friday, a day after I had them start the refund.

I emailed him back this morning and basically told him I would leave it up to him since they placed the order. I can give another deposit, or they can cancel it and I will move on... either way is fine with me. We'll see where this goes, but I suspect it will be "we cancelled it".
All I can say is :wtf:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:30 pm Okay.... serious :wtf: going on at the Jeep dealer.

So, he just called me about 10 minutes ago.

Claims that the deposit doesn't matter at this point and the JL is ordered in my name and the deal is alive. He told me as soon as a VIN is assigned he's going to call me and we will have a good idea on the arrival timeframe, but he said 5-8 weeks is what they are seeing as of now.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens at this point. If it shows up, I'll take it. If not, whatever.

Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Id like to add :dafuq: :dafuq: and raise your :dafuq: with a :derp:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Id like to add :dafuq: :dafuq: and raise your :dafuq: with a :derp:
:like:
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Congrats on the order. At least its a take it or leave it deal now. Money refunded. Winning continues.. :)
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Just speechless :fullretard: :fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I've never heard of a dealer that dumb. Congrats on a great deal though, all confusion aside.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:49 pm

So let's say you're going 10 mph in the Z06 in first gear, with traction control on, and drop the hammer all the way.....what happens? Is 650hp really useable outside of a track?
I'm guessing this is the original question.

In this instance, my car is manageable until it hits 4k rpm. Then the brub stick gets the air/fuel flowing and it's a straight-up smoke show that only gets worse to redline. "Frantic" is about the best way I can describe it. If I can get the power down, It's probably somewhere between a C6Z and a C7Z. Car is short about 100 whp (more torque) than a C7Z, but with the gearing and 300lbs lighter, it probably wouldn't lose as bad as one would expect.

In all honesty, the car is too much. If I knew then what I know now, I would have picked a smaller cam that sacrificed the explosive top end for more low end. Better, I probably would have just kept it stock to maintain some resale value and waited for Sebring Orange C7GS's to get reasonable. Oh well.
This was my overall point, I guess. Whenever I think about avenging by defeat at the hands of the brubstick, first I think "that will end up costing ten grand," then I think "for what, more smoke?"
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:
:wtf:
Go there and :fshitup:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm

So, he just called me about 10 minutes ago.

Claims that the deposit doesn't matter at this point and the JL is ordered in my name and the deal is alive. He told me as soon as a VIN is assigned he's going to call me and we will have a good idea on the arrival timeframe, but he said 5-8 weeks is what they are seeing as of now.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens at this point. If it shows up, I'll take it. If not, whatever.

Based on their recent history, I'd be all sorts of :notsure: about that.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 am I'm guessing this is the original question.

In this instance, my car is manageable until it hits 4k rpm. Then the brub stick gets the air/fuel flowing and it's a straight-up smoke show that only gets worse to redline. "Frantic" is about the best way I can describe it. If I can get the power down, It's probably somewhere between a C6Z and a C7Z. Car is short about 100 whp (more torque) than a C7Z, but with the gearing and 300lbs lighter, it probably wouldn't lose as bad as one would expect.

In all honesty, the car is too much. If I knew then what I know now, I would have picked a smaller cam that sacrificed the explosive top end for more low end. Better, I probably would have just kept it stock to maintain some resale value and waited for Sebring Orange C7GS's to get reasonable. Oh well.
This was my overall point, I guess. Whenever I think about avenging by defeat at the hands of the brubstick, first I think "that will end up costing ten grand," then I think "for what, more smoke?"
Are you a communist?
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:41 pm

:disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth

The Jeep will show up. And they'll be happy to sell it to you with a $15k markup.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Are you a communist?
I'm thinking so...
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:41 pm

I should have prefaced that the car is a bit much one the old ass rock tires on it. When I put new tires on it that actually grip, it's might be 5/7 :fuckyeah:

If I had an LS3 car like you do, I'd probably just do long tubes and dyno tune and call it a day. That should put it nearly where my car is at, with much less effort, cost, and drivability concerns. The factory clutch would survive, so you wouldn't need to go nuts there either. Plus, you have more tire to put the power down.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:38 am The Jeep will show up. And they'll be happy to sell it to you with a $15k markup.
:lolol:

:dillerman:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:38 am The Jeep will show up. And they'll be happy to sell it to you with a $15k markup.
:lolol:

:dillerman:
:popcorn: