The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:48 am
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:43 am

Timing belt should run about $800-900 at an Indy btw.
Just got off the phone with them, actually. They quoted 8 hours for labor for the 100k and 105k services combined, which @ $100/hr is $800 by itself. $740 for parts, $1,625 out the door with taxes and shop supplies and such. Still almost $800 less than the :dillerman: quoted.

Looking around at other 2011 Odyssey EX-Ls with the same mileage, $13k looks to be about the median value. So if they'll let it go for $11,500 from the $12,400 it's currently listed for that would put me right at $13k. We'll see if they'll go that low - I rather doubt it.
Wait … what’s the “100, 105k” service ? They doing plugs and other shit also ? If so $1625 is more reasonable. What are the the $740 in “parts”?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:54 am Wait … what’s the “100, 105k” service ? They doing plugs and other shit also ? If so $1625 is more reasonable. What are the the $740 in “parts”?
The 100k service is the timing belt and water pump, 105k is spark plugs and valve adjustment with new valve cover gaskets. Also includes air & cabin filters, oil change, and a coolant flush.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:04 am
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:54 am Wait … what’s the “100, 105k” service ? They doing plugs and other shit also ? If so $1625 is more reasonable. What are the the $740 in “parts”?
The 100k service is the timing belt and water pump, 105k is spark plugs and valve adjustment with new valve cover gaskets. Also includes air & cabin filters, oil change, and a coolant flush.
Makes sense. $1625 is reasonable
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:07 am
coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:04 am

Makes sense. $1625 is reasonable
Agreed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:44 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:24 am I mean... unless you love the convertible aspect, the new 86 is like a brand new with warranty S2000. Same power, same weight, pretty darn great shifting/short gearing. But you also get a tiny back seat, better seats, a new car that won't break... all for the same price.

I have always wanted an S2000 but they are a tough pill to swallow at $30k/15+ years old.
I'm definitely into the convertible aspect, and so is the wife. I've driven an S2000 twice; the first time just around some suburban roads with the top up and it was only okay. Great inputs of course, but I didn't get to stretch its legs. The second time I dropped the top, got out into the country, wrung its neck and had the best time I've ever had in a car. My hands were shaking with adrenaline when I got back to the dealership. I don't have much experience with actual sports cars, but I have driven a cam & heads C5, a C6 Grand Sport, and a 10 second grand national, and none of them was as much fun as that S2000 was.

I somewhat disagree with you on the $30k+/15 years point. I don't think S2000 values are going anywhere but up long-term, and the new BRZs and 86s will probably depreciate just like the first gens did until they're 10+ years old, and then only the really clean, low-mileage ones. I still think they're a great value, but from a cash in, cash out perspective over what is likely to be my ownership period, I think the S2000 would be the better option.
Fair points on the value, the S2K certainly is a reasonable place to park money if you're not going to mod/track the thing. You can probably put 5K miles/year on one and if it's garaged/maintained it should remain strong.

I really enjoy convertibles as well. It sucks because they're not really usable at the track for tall people. Tracking is one of the main reasons I want a fun car (street driving blows where I live). It's a shame as I'd rather have a 'vert for a fun street car, but I'm not having two sports cars :lolol:

The Beep Beep sort of ticks the 'vert box but it honestly isn't anything like being in a Miata or S2000 sans top, you're still surrounded by metal and plastic in the Jeep with everything removed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That said, you can't really put a price on having a brand new car that you never have to worry about/fuck with. A 15 year old car will need stuff.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:42 am That said, you can't really put a price on having a brand new car that you never have to worry about/fuck with. A 15 year old car will need stuff.
:notwrong: , and totally worth considering. Being able to share the sports car goodness with my little dude is also worth something.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also an ND2 is probably a much better street car than an S2000 but that will definitely depreciate like crazy.

:iono: why I'm acting like I'm team no S2000 when I've wanted one for 15-20 years... I guess talking myself out of it :lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:dillerman: is playing hardball on the Odyssey and not budging on price. I get it, most customers won't have any idea it needs these services, but it's also been on the lot awhile and I figured they'd be at least a little flexible. I'd be making a killing on the GTI, I should probably just suck it up and :doit: . This is easily the nicest-driving and best condition Odyssey under $20k I've come across.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:58 am Also an ND2 is probably a much better street car than an S2000 but that will definitely depreciate like crazy.

:iono: why I'm acting like I'm team no S2000 when I've wanted one for 15-20 years... I guess talking myself out of it :lolol:
:gtfo:

I don't quite know why, but I'm team S2000 over ND Miata all day erry day.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:59 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:58 am Also an ND2 is probably a much better street car than an S2000 but that will definitely depreciate like crazy.

:gtfo:

I don't quite know why, but I'm team S2000 over ND Miata all day erry day.
They are just cooler in an unquantifiable way. Or maybe it's quantifiable in the form of an extra 2000 RPMs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:59 am :dillerman: is playing hardball on the Odyssey and not budging on price. I get it, most customers won't have any idea it needs these services, but it's also been on the lot awhile and I figured they'd be at least a little flexible. I'd be making a killing on the GTI, I should probably just suck it up and :doit: . This is easily the nicest-driving and best condition Odyssey under $20k I've come across.
It's certainly a sellers market... Not really much to be done here.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:59 am :dillerman: is playing hardball on the Odyssey and not budging on price. I get it, most customers won't have any idea it needs these services, but it's also been on the lot awhile and I figured they'd be at least a little flexible. I'd be making a killing on the GTI, I should probably just suck it up and :doit: . This is easily the nicest-driving and best condition Odyssey under $20k I've come across.
He'll probably sell it, everything worth a damn sells RN
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:25 pm
Yea, there's no point in trying to negotiate these days. If you like it for the price, do it. If not, walk. I'd be shocked to find any wiggle room. A reasonable asking price is the best :dill: you can ask for now...and even that is hard to find. The :fullretard: prices I've seen on salvage title things, and things otherwise beat to hell are depressing and :wtf:

This $15k thing will be worth $5k in a few years, so that's the biggest downside with buying used right now. Any profits you get from selling what you currently have will be vaporized by depreciation.

:aintcare: it and whatever, but it's why I specifically am only looking at new vehicles now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:31 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Yea, there's no point in trying to negotiate these days. If you like it for the price, do it. If not, walk. I'd be shocked to find any wiggle room. A reasonable asking price is the best :dill: you can ask for now...and even that is hard to find. The :fullretard: prices I've seen on salvage title things, and things otherwise beat to hell are depressing and :wtf:

This $15k thing will be worth $5k in a few years, so that's the biggest downside with buying used right now. Any profits you get from selling what you currently have will be vaporized by depreciation.

:aintcare: it and whatever, but it's why I specifically am only looking at new vehicles now.
Well, it's $12,400. And if it's worth $10k less in 3 years, so will that brand new $40k Odyssey I would've bought instead. And I'd have had to park an extra $30k in the new one that would prevent me from buying something fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:02 pm

Well, it's $12,400. And if it's worth $10k less in 3 years, so will that brand new $40k Odyssey I would've bought instead. And I'd have had to park an extra $30k in the new one that would prevent me from buying something fun.
What I should have said is it only matters if you sell the thing. Just need to make sure that this will be the booger/crumb carrier for as long as you need such a thing, and it's probably a good way to go...ESPECIALLY if it gets you into something else fun. 4

But if you view this is a stop-gap, you'll be sad if you have to buy a new one down the road.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:40 pm What I should have said is it only matters if you sell the thing. Just need to make sure that this will be the booger/crumb carrier for as long as you need such a thing, and it's probably a good way to go...ESPECIALLY if it gets you into something else fun. 4

But if you view this is a stop-gap, you'll be sad if you have to buy a new one down the road.
I'd expect it to be the crumb basket for as long as it takes to pay for the fun thing. That should be good enough. We'll see if I actually pull the trigger, I've rescheduled the GTI pickup like 4 times now. I'm having the hardest time letting go of this thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:40 pm What I should have said is it only matters if you sell the thing. Just need to make sure that this will be the booger/crumb carrier for as long as you need such a thing, and it's probably a good way to go...ESPECIALLY if it gets you into something else fun. 4

I'd expect it to be the crumb basket for as long as it takes to pay for the fun thing. That should be good enough. We'll see if I actually pull the trigger, I've rescheduled the GTI pickup like 4 times now. I'm having the hardest time letting go of this thing.
You could...not?

I'm making a profit on a car I don't really care that much about. I like it, but I'll like the 4R more. If I really liked something, it would be far more difficult I think, especially since getting into something else awesome will be tough for a while.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:02 pm

Also think of it as SYMBOLIC. Booger throwing, vomiting, sippy cup tossers are TEMPORARY. Booger throwing sippy cup stained mobile vomitorium should also be TEMPORARY.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:56 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:27 pm

You could...not?

I'm making a profit on a car I don't really care that much about. I like it, but I'll like the 4R more. If I really liked something, it would be far more difficult I think, especially since getting into something else awesome will be tough for a while.
It's an option. Just seems :fullretard: to keep an as of now stock GTI as the "fun" car.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:56 pm
You could...not?

It's an option. Just seems :fullretard: to keep an as of now stock GTI as the "fun" car.
Well, based off where MK8 GTI prices are going, your GTI might not really tank in value if you held onto it for a bit longer. At least then you can keep something you like and then replace it when you find something you like more.

GTI to Odyssey is just so :disgust: IMO. I know it's a family requirement that's tough to get out of, but man...that's the downgrade of downgrades. I 100% understand your difficulty here. Just saying, don't let the money talk too much, it truly doesn't buy happiness (at least not immediately) in this case.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

If you like the GTI and it works for y’all just keep it? That’s what I’d do.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:13 pm If you like the GTI and it works for y’all just keep it? That’s what I’d do.
:dat:

The GTI is at least a known quantity.

Nothing worse than buying a used car with unknown issues to “save money.”
:notwrong:

I just can't fathom spending $40k on a new Odyssey to have it sit outside and get plastered with veggie straw dust and bird shit. And at some point, I'm going to need another :baby: :baby: :baby: hauler. :iono:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Telluride. Final answer.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:24 am Telluride. Final answer.
We looked at one before we bought the Atlas. I like the Atlas better. :wrong:

Minivan is >>> SUV for kid-carrying too bruh. Odyssey will happen at some point, it's just a matter of when.