The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:38 am Can you actually improve turbro sound on a GTI? That was my biggest complaint with mine, and I thought I recall there being something about the DV valve design or something that specifically eliminated turbro sounds and made it difficult to get them back?
An open intake definitely gives you some pleasant turbo whooshes and DV sounds. I had a Unitronic intake on my MK6 and it made all the right noises, the DV noise just isn't your typical blowoff pssshhh. I would just be doing an inlet elbow, replace the intake tube, do a drop-in AFE dry filter and remove the "snow grate", which just serves to quiet down the airbox. Looks stock, flows better, and gives you just a little bit of extra whooshy noises.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:56 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:38 am Can you actually improve turbro sound on a GTI? That was my biggest complaint with mine, and I thought I recall there being something about the DV valve design or something that specifically eliminated turbro sounds and made it difficult to get them back?
An open intake definitely gives you some pleasant turbo whooshes and DV sounds. I had a Unitronic intake on my MK6 and it made all the right noises, the DV noise just isn't your typical blowoff pssshhh. I would just be doing an inlet elbow, replace the intake tube, do a drop-in AFE dry filter and remove the "snow grate", which just serves to quiet down the airbox. Looks stock, flows better, and gives you just a little bit of extra whooshy noises.
:megusta:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I bought a huge AEM cylindrical filter when I had my :mk6: . I removed the factory airbox and stuck it on the end of the factory tube that went into the IM. Because it kept all factory sensors in place, it didn't throw codes or anything and it sounded cool as hell. Probably made performance worse if anything, but I couldn't feel a difference and it sounded awesome for $35 and 30 minutes.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:10 pm
I bought a huge AEM cylindrical filter when I had my :mk6: . I removed the factory airbox and stuck it on the end of the factory tube that went into the IM. Because it kept all factory sensors in place, it didn't throw codes or anything and it sounded cool as hell. Probably made performance worse if anything, but I couldn't feel a difference and it sounded awesome for $35 and 30 minutes.
Once you realize "intakes" and whatnot are just noise makers, it's 5/7. I wanted more engine noise from both my GTIs.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:37 pm Once you realize "intakes" and whatnot are just noise makers, it's 5/7. I wanted more engine noise from both my GTIs.
This seems especially true on the MK7. There's a guy who's put a bunch of intakes on a flow bench and basically the stock airbox flows about as well as any of them if you replace the stock turbo inlet elbow and the hose from the airbox to the elbow. You can see the stock airbox at the bottom, though, and it does flow measurably worse than the aftermarket solutions.

http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/09/ultimate-m ... ir-intake/

The MST inlet kit is like $185, add the drop-in filter for $65 and you have something that performs as well as the $600 carbon fiber fancy stuff.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Little fuel diluter, this 3.6 VR6 is. It's not atypical for the engine, but no way I'd feel comfortable going to 10k. Could maybe push it to 7k/7.5k, but I'd rather stick to the 10k service intervals, doing another at the halfway mark just makes life easier.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:56 am
If I get back from overseas in April or May, I can sell you my neuspeed cold air intake I got just over a year ago.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I would go Stage 1 tune on this, clutch be damned. GTI's are fantastic with the extra HP and Torks..... my :mk6: still make me grin 6 years later..... it wouldn't do that if it were stock...

I ended up piecing together a clutch set up for about a grand (with the help of Hyde from the dead forum) and never looked back.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I want more Turbro sound in the S4 but I've already went with an aFe dry filter and I'm too cheap do go through everything needed for a cone filter. I'll just deal with it. It sounds awesome at high elevation :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Can't believe I'm still driving this thing. My last Carvana offer was a ridiculous $23.2k, $3,200 more than I paid for the thing 3+ years and 20k miles ago. :mindblown:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:18 pm Can't believe I'm still driving this thing. My last Carvana offer was a ridiculous $23.2k, $3,200 more than I paid for the thing 3+ years and 20k miles ago. :mindblown:
:dafuq: :impressive:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Damn. I wonder what the Blue Meanie is worth now?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:46 pm
coogles wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:18 pm Can't believe I'm still driving this thing. My last Carvana offer was a ridiculous $23.2k, $3,200 more than I paid for the thing 3+ years and 20k miles ago. :mindblown:
Feels :fullretard: to not sell it for something that would suit the family better, but eh. Never said I was smart.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:19 am

Feels :fullretard: to not sell it for something that would suit the family better, but eh. Never said I was smart.
Problem with these high values is if you’re in the market to replace the car sold you’re buying at markup + waiting if you want new or paying over MSRP for used.

I see so many people in our Facebook MK7 groups that are like “BRAH SELLING MY GTI INSANE VALUE RS3 NEXT!” When they don’t realize they’ll probably be financing $70-75k for a new RS3 or paying MSRP for old gen one.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I almost added to my comment that you should sell it at that value, but I agree with Rudy. It’s not like you could get something else for $23K really, you enjoy it, you may as well just ride it out.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:33 am

I almost added to my comment that you should sell it at that value, but I agree with Rudy. It’s not like you could get something else for $23K really, you enjoy it, you may as well just ride it out.
I could have bought the 4Runner at MSRP, or the Outback at almost $2k under. I can buy an Atlas at $500 under invoice essentially any time I want to. But I do enjoy the GTI a lot, and the thought of having any one of those 3 as my daily with no fun car to go back to makes me want puke.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well, I think the dual-mass flywheel may be starting to fail. :doomed: I was enjoying a rather spirited drive home with my little dude from school yesterday ( plenty of "wheeeee!" from the back seat :wub: ) and on every blip I'd get a bit of a box-o-rocks sound coming from up front. I only heard it at higher RPMs, but definitely there. The car was quiet at idle when I got home, but I shut the car off and started it back up, and there was a distinct DMF-failureesque sound coming from underneath, but it only lasted for a few seconds. I've heard way worse, and if it is starting to fail it's in the early stages of it, but if I do have to change out the clutch I'm not putting a stock one back in there. It's either time to start moddin' or time to bail.

This car was obviously modded before I bought it, though. When I brought it home the intake tube was loose from the turbo inlet, meaning it definitely had an intake on it. It has a subframe mount insert, the clutch spring was removed and it had some coding work done to enable full ESC off. The brakes were basically toast by 36k miles even though the inspection sheet showed them to have 8mm left, which I was dumb enough to believe. The car was clearly driven hard. My guess is it just had a JB4 on it and the PO dumped it when the clutch started to slip, which would explain why it's never felt as grabby from a stop as it should. Decisions, decisions...Carvana offer expires on Monday.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That's a pretty big deal. Sucks for the next guy that may get the car if you flip it to carvana or whatnot.

I personally wouldn't spend 3-4k on clutch labor and flywheel crap, when you're this close to offing the thing already.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:29 pm That's a pretty big deal. Sucks for the next guy that may get the car if you flip it to carvana or whatnot.

I personally wouldn't spend 3-4k on clutch labor and flywheel crap, when you're this close to offing the thing already.
:notwrong: on the first point, but if Carvana is dumb enough to not inspect a car before buying it first, that's on them. Same shit with Zillow buying a bunch of homes via algorithm that all ended up needing a lot of work.

I'm with you on the second point too, though, if I'm going to put the money into it, I'm doing an aftermarket clutch, tuning the thing, and finally doing the things I've wanted to do with it since I bought it. Wife just wants the status quo, she absolutely hates change, but this is going to force me to do something one way or the other.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

New cars still selling at MSRP, and trade values are good. I'd off it, there might be other things on the way out too
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Eh, honestly I'm still not the least bit concerned about keeping it long-term. Knowing what I know about the car's history a premature DMF failure wouldn't be unexpected, and I bought this car with the intention to modify the heck out of it, a clutch kit replacement was certainly was in those plans. I did a compression check right after I discovered those signs of prior fuckery and it came back great, so that helped ease a lot of my worry.

I'm going to try to snag a video of it tonight and see what I can tell.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well, I refreshed the offer on the second Carvana account I made and it dropped by $2k, which makes sense given there are hundreds of MK8s on the shores now. I accepted the offer on my other account for $24.4K and scheduled pickup for 11/30, so I guess I have until then to figure out WTF I'm doing, if anything.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:54 pm Well, I refreshed the offer on the second Carvana account I made and it dropped by $2k, which makes sense given there are hundreds of MK8s on the shores now. I accepted the offer on my other account for $24.4K and scheduled pickup for 11/30, so I guess I have until then to figure out WTF I'm doing, if anything.
That’s stupid money for a relatively old car. Right on !
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 pm
coogles wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:54 pm Well, I refreshed the offer on the second Carvana account I made and it dropped by $2k, which makes sense given there are hundreds of MK8s on the shores now. I accepted the offer on my other account for $24.4K and scheduled pickup for 11/30, so I guess I have until then to figure out WTF I'm doing, if anything.
That’s stupid money for a relatively old car. Right on !
:dat:

It's $4.4K more than I paid for it nearly 3.5 years and 20k miles ago. It's barely less than what these were selling for brand new in 2017. MSRP was $29k and change.
ChrisoftheNorth

Interesting, so the tides are changing. I bet my Cucktrek deal for 35k that expires today will be the peak.

Was 11/30 the latest they'd let you schedule pickup? 9 days, :notbad: