The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 pm I'd planned on 10 years with the GTI. Made it to 6.5 :iono:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea but ... now you're in a better car for a small monthly for a few years. The next one is going to suck
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm Well not shit breh... a 38k performance vehicle that gets 16mpg average on premium costs a lot of money.

I think what we're all realizing is that we're growing up. I am toying with the idea of driving the 400k mile crown vic until it dies and then purchasing a 4 digit nearly fully depreciated vehicle. And my pay nearly doubled from 3 years ago.

Taxes suck, life is expensive and unfortunately cars just don't fit into the picture because we're all getting relatively poorer over time. :-/
This is why I buy new and keep my cars for 10 years. Of course, this means I've only owned like 4 cars. :(
I'm on my 4th car and got my license 10 years ago, although the first 2 cars were hand me down, so not really my choice to begin with.

I do miss not having a car payment though, but going back to that is very unlikely.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
wap wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 pm This is why I buy new and keep my cars for 10 years. Of course, this means I've only owned like 4 cars. :(
I'm on my 4th car and got my license 10 years ago, although the first 2 cars were hand me down, so not really my choice to begin with.

I do miss not having a car payment though, but going back to that is very unlikely.
I've lived with a lot of shit boxes, I think I'm going the distance this time, 10 yrs or bust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:08 am
I've lived with a lot of shit boxes, I think I'm going the distance this time, 10 yrs or bust.
My goal is to keep the Forks until at least 100k.

I'm about 1/4 of the way there already.
DDing a truck isn't that bad. Especially with the roads we drive on every day.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:50 am
Apex wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 am

I don't have a problem with it.

Bikes, doges, people, rough roads... :aintcare:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:23 pm I'm clearly insane for thinking this way, but the last few days I've been somewhat :eeyore: about the STi purchase.
I've had the same thoughts. I'm in a different financial position than you are. But any way you look at it, the STI is an expensive car to own. Sure, depreciation is pretty reasonable, but everything else adds up. Insurance is more, you'll spend a lot more on gas, OCI is 3750 vs 10k, tax on such an expensive car, etc.

I look past most of that because I budgeted for this and it all fits well within my monthly to where I can save what I want, put money into retirement at the rate I want, and still be able to do just about anything I want to do. If you can afford the car with minimal lifestyle changes, then you can afford the car. If you have to shop at discount markets for food and clothes and skip lunch 3 days a week to be able to afford your car, then you can't afford your car.

My issue with owning the STI is having that much money parked on the street where others will fuck it up. For me that's the hard part of owning this machine. I'd feel way less bad about parking a $10k used something-or-another to get bashed up, but then I have to worry about dependability and will it start in the winter.

I also don't know if I even care anymore. Sure it's fun as hell to drive. But I don't get to actually drive it ever. And when I do get to drive it, I can't get to the car's limits because of how high they are, so I'm never really pushing this thing. IDK. For me, it's almost more appealing thinking of daily derping in some quiet, comfy, automatic something or another in total :aintcare: mode.
Johnny_P

If I had somewhere to park it I'd have bought a truck. They're just too large.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I think I may keep the mexicanyaris until 100k as well or if it's out of warranty and shits a brick again.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 amwall of text rant
A MINI or an Abarf would've suited you well - get some seersucker roof racks and :aintcare:

But you've got the STI now, enjoy it before you :baby: and go full :wap:
I'll probably :plac: next year for something less stressful to own and just give up on cars totally. Abarf - I wouldn't be able to deal with constant nagging problems and the need to see a repair shop monthly. The Mini - Should have been more fun to wring out, we'll see if the LCI addresses that.

But I don't think I want a car that will egg me on to drive harder. Just something that drives nice, smooth, decent power, quiet, automatic. Some steering feel is desired, I can't go full video game, and the transmission can't be an eco-oriented one that bogs the engine at every opportunity. Also, no more rattles and budget car build quality.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 am

I think I may keep the mexicanyaris until 100k as well or if it's out of warranty and shits a brick again.
The GTI is a good do-it-all car. It really is. I just can't go back to owning another VW with all the horseshit I put up with on mine. I also kind of don't want FWD again now that I've seen what a more proper drivetrain setup can do.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:50 am

The GTI is a good do-it-all car. It really is. I just can't go back to owning another VW with all the horseshit I put up with on mine. I also kind of don't want FWD again now that I've seen what a more proper drivetrain setup can do.
I'm also gonna jump the fwd ship at the next port. Thinking mustang gt, sti, e92, g37/Q60, etc. Or i could just keep the GTI as daily and get a cheap weekend toy.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote:

I can see Jonny driving an IS or 3 series to satisfy all of the above requirements. Really an IS350 sounds like the sweet spot if the looks don't offend and the I/F is tolerable.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:52 am
Johnny_P wrote:
I can see Jonny driving an IS or 3 series to satisfy all of the above requirements. Really an IS350 sounds like the sweet spot if the looks don't offend and the I/F is tolerable.
Yeah those cars are great. Something like that would be nice but pretty expensive still. Under $20k would be ideal.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

wap wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm Well not shit breh... a 38k performance vehicle that gets 16mpg average on premium costs a lot of money.

I think what we're all realizing is that we're growing up. I am toying with the idea of driving the 400k mile crown vic until it dies and then purchasing a 4 digit nearly fully depreciated vehicle. And my pay nearly doubled from 3 years ago.

Taxes suck, life is expensive and unfortunately cars just don't fit into the picture because we're all getting relatively poorer over time. :-/
This is why I buy new and keep my cars for 10 years. Of course, this means I've only owned like 4 cars. :(
That's my plan. October marks seven years with the GTI. Three more and then I'll consider buying something else.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote:

Good plan.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 am
My goal is to keep the Forks until at least 100k.

I'm about 1/4 of the way there already.
Also a solid plan.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 am
I've had the same thoughts. I'm in a different financial position than you are. But any way you look at it, the STI is an expensive car to own. Sure, depreciation is pretty reasonable, but everything else adds up. Insurance is more, you'll spend a lot more on gas, OCI is 3750 vs 10k, tax on such an expensive car, etc.

I look past most of that because I budgeted for this and it all fits well within my monthly to where I can save what I want, put money into retirement at the rate I want, and still be able to do just about anything I want to do. If you can afford the car with minimal lifestyle changes, then you can afford the car. If you have to shop at discount markets for food and clothes and skip lunch 3 days a week to be able to afford your car, then you can't afford your car.

My issue with owning the STI is having that much money parked on the street where others will fuck it up. For me that's the hard part of owning this machine. I'd feel way less bad about parking a $10k used something-or-another to get bashed up, but then I have to worry about dependability and will it start in the winter.

I also don't know if I even care anymore. Sure it's fun as hell to drive. But I don't get to actually drive it ever. And when I do get to drive it, I can't get to the car's limits because of how high they are, so I'm never really pushing this thing. IDK. For me, it's almost more appealing thinking of daily derping in some quiet, comfy, automatic something or another in total :aintcare: mode.
A MINI or an Abarf would've suited you well - get some seersucker roof racks and :aintcare:

:wat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 am

:bruh:

You gotta :dock: to :baby:

A lot of :eeyore: up in here. I mean... I get the sentiment, this is why I'm rolling in a :poorvette: , it's relatively low cost :lolol: , but damn guys. This is a car forum. Enjoy yourselves and accept the decisions you made.
max225

I think the points made show that the "enjoyment" may come at a not insignificant cost. And perhaps the money is better used elsewhere.
Almost no one mentioned that the cars themselves aren't enjoyable
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:49 am

I'll probably :plac: next year for something less stressful to own and just give up on cars totally. Abarf - I wouldn't be able to deal with constant nagging problems and the need to see a repair shop monthly. The Mini - Should have been more fun to wring out, we'll see if the LCI addresses that.

But I don't think I want a car that will egg me on to drive harder. Just something that drives nice, smooth, decent power, quiet, automatic. Some steering feel is desired, I can't go full video game, and the transmission can't be an eco-oriented one that bogs the engine at every opportunity. Also, no more rattles and budget car build quality.
Get a VW Golf with :manuel: and 4 doors.

1.8T is still "fun" yet reliable

:donut: tires for :aintcare: over potholes

/bread
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:45 pm

1.8T is still "fun" yet "reliable"

/bread
Fixed. A 1.8T Golf will be a total headache/turd.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 pm I think the points made show that the "enjoyment" may come at a not insignificant cost. And perhaps the money is better used elsewhere.
Well in my case it's just a lot of cash to tie up in something I can't actually use.
I love the car.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:35 pm

1.8T is still "fun" yet "reliable"

/bread
Fixed. A 1.8T Golf will be a total headache/turd.
Yeah fuck that.
G37 might be next. We will see.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:42 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 pm I think the points made show that the "enjoyment" may come at a not insignificant cost. And perhaps the money is better used elsewhere.
Well in my case it's just a lot of cash to tie up in something I can't actually use.
I love the car.
Kind of what I'm saying doe
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

1.8T is still "fun" yet reliable

/bread
He already has way more problems than most GTI owners that had problems did. The probability of getting another VW is very low.