Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:44 pm
Oh, cucktrek isn't going anywhere. We both still love that thing, we're just starting to identify more needs for a second vehicle. That's always been in the plan, the debate has been WHAT is that second vehicle. So far it's been a truck vs van debate, but now we're thinking that a Tahoe would be the ideal middle ground that does everything.

And we're still not buying anything now. Now that the boat is moved, there's no need for a truck or second vehicle for a while that we can't get around with renting or borrowing. Targeting probably Q1-Q2 2022 for an acquisition, unless inventory still doesn't exist and used is selling for as much as new. I did a full detailing on the neighbor's Tahoe before returning it to him, and he was :mindblown: by the results and claimed it was nicer than jobs he's paid $100+ for. Told me the Tahoe is mine whenever I want/need it. Obviously not going to abuse that generosity, but nice to know if I get in a jam I have an option.
Yeeep, makes sense. Loaded Tahoe’s hit 80k, which one were you thinking about ? Also did you ever consider a defender ? They are rated to tow a shit ton as well.
A Z71 would be my ideal, no options but a pano sunroof (which I'd love) would be mid $60k MSRP. Pricey, so I'm not going to rule out used K2 models in case inventory of the new T1's improves and used values are more appealing.

We like the Tahoe because we can sleep in it. We tested it out, and there's plenty of space for us to sleep in the back with an air mattress and the seats down. We still intend on being vagabonds for Feb-Apr, so something we can take anywhere and sleep in a rest area in a pinch is key. The other thing is still a Transit, but we don't think we'd realistically camp in it much to need a galley and whatnot, a Tahoe would do everything we want and manage to be cheaper. I also want a truck with a real engine with real torque. The Tahoe I borrowed was just a 5.3, but it had ample grunt to move the boat around. I'm done with small engine/low torque trucks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:50 pm Tahoe does sound like a perfect vehicle for what you need. Are you looking at used or new? What year range if used?
Used: K2 previous gen, so 2015-2020.

But if used values don't go down in the next 6 mos, I'll just buy a new one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:24 am I had one hell of an experience towing the boat on Friday, figured I'd update this thread a bit.
nely lucky to find such a great helpful dude in the middle of nowhere, sometimes bad things happen but the solution ends up being :notbad: in the end.
Life is pretty dope isn’t it? I’ve had plenty of instances where something happens that makes you feel doomed and out of nowhere good people and a bit of luck solve the solution.

You should keep in touch with the guy and that store. They seem like a bunch of good honest people and that’s getting more rare
Yea, it's amazing. I still feel insanely fortunate for the result of that experience. Wife and I both went into google maps and shared our story and gave him 5 star reviews. Truly an outstanding individual, and indeed getting more and more rare. There's also an element of the sort of people that live in small towns in the middle of nowhere with little outside interaction. They're used to helping one another like this, and the dude even mentioned a number of times how much their community bands together to help one another, telling stories about farm equipment failing that he helped with and whatnot. He also told stories about being in my shoes almost exactly and how relieved he was to find people to help him.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:09 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:56 pm
Life is pretty dope isn’t it? I’ve had plenty of instances where something happens that makes you feel doomed and out of nowhere good people and a bit of luck solve the solution.

You should keep in touch with the guy and that store. They seem like a bunch of good honest people and that’s getting more rare
Yea, it's amazing. I still feel insanely fortunate for the result of that experience. Wife and I both went into google maps and shared our story and gave him 5 star reviews. Truly an outstanding individual, and indeed getting more and more rare. There's also an element of the sort of people that live in small towns in the middle of nowhere with little outside interaction. They're used to helping one another like this, and the dude even mentioned a number of times how much their community bands together to help one another, telling stories about farm equipment failing that he helped with and whatnot. He also told stories about being in my shoes almost exactly and how relieved he was to find people to help him.
:wat: town was this? Just curious...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:09 pm
Dude was halfway between Clare, MI and Farwell, MI AKA BFE

Dis guy:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Black ... 84.8413877
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Dis guy:
Wow, that IS in the middle of BFE. :lol: Massive :alpo: on your part.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:04 pm
MrH42 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:50 pm Tahoe does sound like a perfect vehicle for what you need. Are you looking at used or new? What year range if used?

Yea I doubt they’ll go down much if at all. New will remain the only way to buy for 18-24 months imo. But I’m expecting some cash on top of the hood in 6-12 months but no where near the 8-20k they had over the last pre covid years
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Dis guy:
Wow, that IS in the middle of BFE. :lol: Massive :alpo: on your part.
Right? Amazingly, the wheel fell off on the 10 directly above the business. The :alpo: is impossible to ignore in this case. So fucking fortunate.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Yea I doubt they’ll go down much if at all. New will remain the only way to buy for 18-24 months imo. But I’m expecting some cash on top of the hood in 6-12 months but no where near the 8-20k they had over the last pre covid years
I think you're probably right, but we'll see when I'm closer to buying.

Zero motivation to look or even research buying right now, so it'll be a while. Which is only good. Even if I don't buy by next year, my neighbor would give me his Tahoe in a second to tow the boat. Other use cases I could rent a cheap car for or hitch a ride somewhere. One vehicle life is not that bad with the Cucktrek.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 pm

Zero motivation to look or even research buying right now, so it'll be a while. Which is only good.
Even if I don't buy by next year, my neighbor would give me his Tahoe in a second to tow the boat. Other use cases I could rent a cheap car for or hitch a ride somewhere. One vehicle life is not that bad with the Cucktrek.
You're :notwrong:

I definitely will :plac: eventually but I feel like "shopping" (even if it's just casual Autotempest window shopping or whatever) right now is just depressing and dumb. This :bs: time in our history is a perfect chance for me to just take a break from cars for a while and enjoy other parts of life.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:24 am I had one hell of an experience towing the boat on Friday, figured I'd update this thread a bit.

Boat came out a few weeks ago, hoists are coming out this week for winter. Bitter sweet, but an epic first boating season. I looked into storing the boat locally to me, and most indoor storage was in the $500 or so for the winter range, not heated. My dad has a heated garage 250 miles away in the Detroit area that's EMPTY all winter other than his Vagon on the hoist, so free heated boat storage for the winter enticed me to tow the boat down. We have a ridiculously generous neighbor who insisted I use his 2017 Tahoe Premier to tow the boat down state, and I took him up on the offer.

Before departing, I checked the trailer tires and added air to make sure they were at the right pressure. When I bought the boat in April, I went through the bearings on the trailer, replacing all of them and using fresh grease, drove it 2,000 miles home with no issue, and so assumed the bearing were good for this 250 mile tow. Hitched up the boat to the Tahoe, lights worked, everything was good, so we hit the road. The first 120 miles were uneventful, cruising 60ish on 2-lane roads and highways. Then disaster struck.

Cruising at 65 in the right lane on the highway, I felt some sort of shudder, checked the side mirror to look at the trailer and saw something fly off the wheel. Without hesitation, I pulled over immediately assuming something bad just happened. What I found was indeed bad. Very bad. The wheel had fallen off. Somehow the spindle nut had worked itself off and what I saw in the mirror was the grease cap, axle nut, and outer bearing ejecting onto the highway. The wheel was no longer attached at all, with the wheel hub just riding on the spindle. Holy shit. The fact that I got the rig onto the shoulder without the wheel flying off was a miracle.

I stood on the side of the road in disbelief, then fix it mode set in. 120 miles from our destination, seemingly middle of nowhere, it was 3:45 on a Friday, I knew I had to act quickly if I was going to make contact with any sort of repair place. Incredibly, google indicated an "RV and trailer repair" shop 12 minutes from where we were, so I unhooked the boat and hightailed it to the destination leaving the boat with precariously placed disconnected wheel on the side of the highway.

We get to the place, which is just a pole barn with hundreds of RVs around in various states of storage and repair. I walk into the mobile home office and a lady asked me how she could help, I told her I had a wheel fall off my boat trailer on the highway and she said "uh oh, better talk to Brian". We find Brian working in the pole barn and I explain the situation. He looks at me and says "brother, I've been there, we're gonna get you fixed up". It's 4:15 on Friday at this point, and he gives me a few bearings and spindle nuts to test fit to see if maybe I could limp it to his shop. If not, he told me to bring the wheel back and he'd help me find a tow. Did I luck the fuck out like I've never lucked out before?

Head back to the boat, I use the bottle jack from the Tahoe to jack up the trailer to remove the wheel and check out the spindle damage. The bearings he gave me were close, but no cigar and the threads on the spindle where a bit chewed up from riding on the wheel hub so the nut wouldn't screw on all the way. I took a bunch of pictures, grabbed the wheel and went back to Brian.

It was 5pm when I got back to him, and showed him the pictures and the wheel. He took a look at it and said, "we can get you to Detroit tonight" with incredible confidence. He got on the phone to call his friend with a tow company, and they went out to pick up the boat. I told him that if he could just let me use his tools, I'd pay him well and he could head out to enjoy his Friday night. He just said "maybe, but let's see how bad things are when the boat gets here". I head out to the bank to grab some cash and while I'm gone, Brian goes about replacing the bearings and races in the hub.

The tow dudes got the boat to us in record time, and it was sitting outside Brian's shop when I got back from the bank 20 minutes or so later. They charged me $200, which I gave them $250 and told them to go have some beers on us because they were so fast and managed to not damage a thing despite the trailer missing a wheel. They were stoked, as was I.

Then the rain started. It was 5:45, and Brian looks to the sky and says, "welp, I was going to have a bonfire with some friends tonight, looks like that's canceled, so let's get you fixed up". The boat was next to an RV he was working on, so he extended the awning so we would work out of the rain. He handed me some rags and brake clean so I could clean up the spindle. While I did that, he grabbed some files to clean up the spindle and threads. We used a thread file to clean up the threads well enough to screw the nut on easily, then carefully filed the parts of the spindle that were chewed up from the wheel hub riding on it preventing new bearings from going on. Along the way, he told me about his training and certification as a trailer mechanic, telling me war stories, and explaining why RVs are complete junk and to never buy one. He was an incredibly awesome human, and by 6:30 we were lowering the trailer back onto it's newly replaced wheel. I borrowed his jack to jack up the other side to check to make sure it was ok, and it checked out to both of us.

"I don't want to give you bad advice, but I'd consider this fixed if it were me, drive it home and worry about it later." He went on the say that he's seen way worse in service for a long time but cautioned me to do whatever made me comfortable. I liked his confidence, and agreed. I asked him what I owed him, and he looked at the clock, did some math in his head and said "I dunno, how's a hundred bucks sound?". I said "you just gave up your Friday night to help a stranger for 3 hours in the rain, so it sounds too low", gave him $200 and off we went. I did 60 in the right lane the whole way back and both wheels stayed on, no drama thankfully.

Neither Brian nor I could figure out how this happened. I'm not even sure if I could have checked it before leaving and prevented it. There was plenty of grease, so it didn't dry out or anything, might have just been a freak part failure? The boat trailer needs quite a bit of help in fixing lights, wiring, and brakes, so I'm going to go through the entire thing before spring so hopefully this doesn't happen again. I got insanely lucky to find such a great helpful dude in the middle of nowhere, sometimes bad things happen but the solution ends up being :notbad: in the end.
WOW. This could have been mayhem/epic insurance claim.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Zero motivation to look or even research buying right now, so it'll be a while. Which is only good. Even if I don't buy by next year, my neighbor would give me his Tahoe in a second to tow the boat. Other use cases I could rent a cheap car for or hitch a ride somewhere. One vehicle life is not that bad with the Cucktrek.
Friend of mine bought the new IRS Tahoe 5.3, its a nice truck. For towing though, I'm kind of :notsure: versus the tried and true solid rear axle. The Tahoe has ridden fine on a solid rear axle since 1990, IMHO. Also I feel the IRS arms look kind of........flimsy? for full size truck use. IDK.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:14 pm

Boat came out a few weeks ago, hoists are coming out this week for winter. Bitter sweet, but an epic first boating season. I looked into storing the boat locally to me, and most indoor storage was in the $500 or so for the winter range, not heated. My dad has a heated garage 250 miles away in the Detroit area that's EMPTY all winter other than his Vagon on the hoist, so free heated boat storage for the winter enticed me to tow the boat down. We have a ridiculously generous neighbor who insisted I use his 2017 Tahoe Premier to tow the boat down state, and I took him up on the offer.

Before departing, I checked the trailer tires and added air to make sure they were at the right pressure. When I bought the boat in April, I went through the bearings on the trailer, replacing all of them and using fresh grease, drove it 2,000 miles home with no issue, and so assumed the bearing were good for this 250 mile tow. Hitched up the boat to the Tahoe, lights worked, everything was good, so we hit the road. The first 120 miles were uneventful, cruising 60ish on 2-lane roads and highways. Then disaster struck.

Cruising at 65 in the right lane on the highway, I felt some sort of shudder, checked the side mirror to look at the trailer and saw something fly off the wheel. Without hesitation, I pulled over immediately assuming something bad just happened. What I found was indeed bad. Very bad. The wheel had fallen off. Somehow the spindle nut had worked itself off and what I saw in the mirror was the grease cap, axle nut, and outer bearing ejecting onto the highway. The wheel was no longer attached at all, with the wheel hub just riding on the spindle. Holy shit. The fact that I got the rig onto the shoulder without the wheel flying off was a miracle.

I stood on the side of the road in disbelief, then fix it mode set in. 120 miles from our destination, seemingly middle of nowhere, it was 3:45 on a Friday, I knew I had to act quickly if I was going to make contact with any sort of repair place. Incredibly, google indicated an "RV and trailer repair" shop 12 minutes from where we were, so I unhooked the boat and hightailed it to the destination leaving the boat with precariously placed disconnected wheel on the side of the highway.

We get to the place, which is just a pole barn with hundreds of RVs around in various states of storage and repair. I walk into the mobile home office and a lady asked me how she could help, I told her I had a wheel fall off my boat trailer on the highway and she said "uh oh, better talk to Brian". We find Brian working in the pole barn and I explain the situation. He looks at me and says "brother, I've been there, we're gonna get you fixed up". It's 4:15 on Friday at this point, and he gives me a few bearings and spindle nuts to test fit to see if maybe I could limp it to his shop. If not, he told me to bring the wheel back and he'd help me find a tow. Did I luck the fuck out like I've never lucked out before?

Head back to the boat, I use the bottle jack from the Tahoe to jack up the trailer to remove the wheel and check out the spindle damage. The bearings he gave me were close, but no cigar and the threads on the spindle where a bit chewed up from riding on the wheel hub so the nut wouldn't screw on all the way. I took a bunch of pictures, grabbed the wheel and went back to Brian.

It was 5pm when I got back to him, and showed him the pictures and the wheel. He took a look at it and said, "we can get you to Detroit tonight" with incredible confidence. He got on the phone to call his friend with a tow company, and they went out to pick up the boat. I told him that if he could just let me use his tools, I'd pay him well and he could head out to enjoy his Friday night. He just said "maybe, but let's see how bad things are when the boat gets here". I head out to the bank to grab some cash and while I'm gone, Brian goes about replacing the bearings and races in the hub.

The tow dudes got the boat to us in record time, and it was sitting outside Brian's shop when I got back from the bank 20 minutes or so later. They charged me $200, which I gave them $250 and told them to go have some beers on us because they were so fast and managed to not damage a thing despite the trailer missing a wheel. They were stoked, as was I.

Then the rain started. It was 5:45, and Brian looks to the sky and says, "welp, I was going to have a bonfire with some friends tonight, looks like that's canceled, so let's get you fixed up". The boat was next to an RV he was working on, so he extended the awning so we would work out of the rain. He handed me some rags and brake clean so I could clean up the spindle. While I did that, he grabbed some files to clean up the spindle and threads. We used a thread file to clean up the threads well enough to screw the nut on easily, then carefully filed the parts of the spindle that were chewed up from the wheel hub riding on it preventing new bearings from going on. Along the way, he told me about his training and certification as a trailer mechanic, telling me war stories, and explaining why RVs are complete junk and to never buy one. He was an incredibly awesome human, and by 6:30 we were lowering the trailer back onto it's newly replaced wheel. I borrowed his jack to jack up the other side to check to make sure it was ok, and it checked out to both of us.

"I don't want to give you bad advice, but I'd consider this fixed if it were me, drive it home and worry about it later." He went on the say that he's seen way worse in service for a long time but cautioned me to do whatever made me comfortable. I liked his confidence, and agreed. I asked him what I owed him, and he looked at the clock, did some math in his head and said "I dunno, how's a hundred bucks sound?". I said "you just gave up your Friday night to help a stranger for 3 hours in the rain, so it sounds too low", gave him $200 and off we went. I did 60 in the right lane the whole way back and both wheels stayed on, no drama thankfully.

Neither Brian nor I could figure out how this happened. I'm not even sure if I could have checked it before leaving and prevented it. There was plenty of grease, so it didn't dry out or anything, might have just been a freak part failure? The boat trailer needs quite a bit of help in fixing lights, wiring, and brakes, so I'm going to go through the entire thing before spring so hopefully this doesn't happen again. I got insanely lucky to find such a great helpful dude in the middle of nowhere, sometimes bad things happen but the solution ends up being :notbad: in the end.
WOW. This could have been mayhem/epic insurance claim.
Yea, I know. But this is exactly why I don't go above 65 when towing, stay in the right lane always, and watch the trailer in the mirrors like a hawk. The tow dudes told me some stories of boats they've recovered with trailers completely destroyed. Stuff like this happens when they're doing 80mph, passing people, etc and the situation changes drastically.

This is also why I have insurance on the boat and trailer, but it probably would have been a nightmare because I was using my neighbor's truck.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:17 pm

Friend of mine bought the new IRS Tahoe 5.3, its a nice truck. For towing though, I'm kind of :notsure: versus the tried and true solid rear axle. The Tahoe has ridden fine on a solid rear axle since 1990, IMHO. Also I feel the IRS arms look kind of........flimsy? for full size truck use. IDK.
I'd be completely happy with a K2 Tahoe. But right now, they're not really any cheaper than a new T1 which makes zero sense.

The IRS doesn't really matter EXCEPT for a much lower load floor in the back. Would be nice to have, but I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on it solely, agreed. We'll see what the values situation looks like in the Marchish timeframe.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:21 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:17 pm

I'd be completely happy with a K2 Tahoe. But right now, they're not really any cheaper than a new T1 which makes zero sense.

The IRS doesn't really matter EXCEPT for a much lower load floor in the back. Would be nice to have, but I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on it solely, agreed. We'll see what the values situation looks like in the Marchish timeframe.
Agreed it is all about the :dill: right now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The name of the game is sit back and run whatcha already have, sell the extra cars (or anything else) you can live without for the time being.

I was thinking about how I test drove a Hype R at CarMax back in April or May with 19K miles they were asking $35K for... should've bought that, could have made a quit $5K.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

https://www.hughwhitechevybuick.com/all ... /index.htm

Diesel Tahoe for $60k brand new. Would be a sweet rig

Edit: $5k mark up :disgust:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:50 pm https://www.hughwhitechevybuick.com/all ... /index.htm

Yea I don’t think that’s real …

https://www.hughwhitechevybuick.com/use ... abad1c.htm

Same dealer trying to move a 3 year old model for almost 70. :fullretard:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:29 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:50 pm https://www.hughwhitechevybuick.com/all ... /index.htm

That's a premier. The one I posted is a cloth seats base model
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Yea, I'm not even bothering looking right now.