Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yea, I dunno...today for example.

Nice day out, figured I'd :stig: to work. Didn't check traffic for the first time in ages (don't know why, usually Fridays aren't bad so send it), of course there's a fatality on I-75 that shut the hwy down. Jump off the highway to take back roads, and it's the damned surface of the moon. It was legit painful, and I reach work all :triggered: out from not only being late to a meeting, but also being all scrambled around.

I guess I REALLY need to plan out when I can drive it. Look at traffic, plan routes, etc. That just gets really old. Probably going to list it for sale soon just to see if it's easy to off.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I am continually amazed by these stories of the entire Northeast having the infrastrucure of a Mad Max movie.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:I am continually amazed by these stories of the entire Northeast having the infrastrucure of a Mad Max movie.
It's what happens when you insist on living in "walkable" neighborhoods. The roads are so bad that you'd rather walk.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:43 pm I am continually amazed by these stories of the entire Northeast having the infrastrucure of a Mad Max movie.
The highways are mostly fine, but it's the surface streets that are crumbling, and there's no money to fix them because it's on the cities to do, and they're blowing money on parks and bike lanes on major roads and shit that :millennial: s love.

The roads I was on today were actually "fixed"...they mound up cold patch in the holes so that they last a while before they need to be patched again. That creates these small hills and valleys all over that result in some really painful :poorvette: driving when suspension travel is 3/4".

It's actually fun to drive in the :truk: :doe: speed limits aren't really enforced in the city of Detroit, so I'll :stig: over them and likely catch air at times. The truck is legit more fun to drive than the :poorvette: on these streets.

:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :wrong: :triggered:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:43 pm I am continually amazed by these stories of the entire Northeast having the infrastrucure of a Mad Max movie.
The highways are mostly fine, but it's the surface streets that are crumbling, and there's no money to fix them because it's on the cities to do, and they're blowing money on parks and bike lanes on major roads and shit that :millennial: s love.

The roads I was on today were actually "fixed"...they mound up cold patch in the holes so that they last a while before they need to be patched again. That creates these small hills and valleys all over that result in some really painful :poorvette: driving when suspension travel is 3/4".

It's actually fun to drive in the :truk: :doe: speed limits aren't really enforced in the city of Detroit, so I'll :stig: over them and likely catch air at times. The truck is legit more fun to drive than the :poorvette: on these streets.

Dude, I'm :mindblown: about those roads. I'd seriously be in a Jeep or ZR2 and sell the Gorf and C6 if I lived there. Sad state of affairs for cars.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:55 pm
Detroit wrote: The highways are mostly fine, but it's the surface streets that are crumbling, and there's no money to fix them because it's on the cities to do, and they're blowing money on parks and bike lanes on major roads and shit that :millennial: s love.

Dude, I'm :mindblown: about those roads. I'd seriously be in a Jeep or ZR2 and sell the Gorf and C6 if I lived there. Sad state of affairs for cars.
Have you driven around here in the last 6 months? They've gotten worse. There's just so many roads and not enough money to fix.

It's terrible. I had high hopes for :fuckyeah: today...and it ended in :rage: . Hopefully the drive home is better.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:55 pm Dude, I'm :mindblown: about those roads. I'd seriously be in a Jeep or ZR2 and sell the Gorf and C6 if I lived there. Sad state of affairs for cars.
Have you driven around here in the last 6 months? They've gotten worse. There's just so many roads and not enough money to fix.

It's terrible. I had high hopes for :fuckyeah: today...and it ended in :rage: . Hopefully the drive home is better.
No. Now I'm scared to take either of my cars to head office. I have to park in Windsor and rent a fucken minivan or whatever.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Have you driven around here in the last 6 months? They've gotten worse. There's just so many roads and not enough money to fix.

No. Now I'm scared to take either of my cars to head office. I have to park in Windsor and rent a fucken :minivan: or whatever.
FTFY
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Have you driven around here in the last 6 months? They've gotten worse. There's just so many roads and not enough money to fix.

No. Now I'm scared to take either of my cars to head office. I have to park in Windsor and rent a fucken minivan or whatever.
Nah, just stay on the highway as much as possible in the city of Detroit. The burbs are better, especially on the main roads. It's the side streets in Mahtroit that I have to drive on to navigate traffic daily that are :moon:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 pm No. Now I'm scared to take either of my cars to head office. I have to park in Windsor and rent a fucken minivan or whatever.
Nah, just stay on the highway as much as possible in the city of Detroit. The burbs are better, especially on the main roads. It's the side streets in Mahtroit that I have to drive on to navigate traffic daily that are :moon:
Mahtroit is legit 5/7!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:50 pm
Yeah, I hate that. That's my street's current condition. Gas company dug the main up and replaced it, and filled over with cold patch mounds.

Fortunately in Philly the weather has turned and now it's summer so they've been chopping up a bunch of the worst roads to repave them. Only a few more weeks of cheese grater conditions and they'll be back to smooth as glass. But we go through this cycle every single year. Winter and spring are exhausting. Summer and fall are totally fine.

West River Drive in Philly is undriveable right now. The holes are so big they'll throw your car across a lane.

Suburbs around me aren't that much better really, but they see less vehicle traffic overall so they get less damaged.

I was really surprised at the road conditions near Asheville. They were overall pretty good and smooth. I'd love to live in an area like that.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:58 pm
Yeah, I hate that. That's my street's current condition. Gas company dug the main up and replaced it, and filled over with cold patch mounds.

Fortunately in Philly the weather has turned and now it's summer so they've been chopping up a bunch of the worst roads to repave them. Only a few more weeks of cheese grater conditions and they'll be back to smooth as glass. But we go through this cycle every single year. Winter and spring are exhausting. Summer and fall are totally fine.

West River Drive in Philly is undriveable right now. The holes are so big they'll throw your car across a lane.

Suburbs around me aren't that much better really, but they see less vehicle traffic overall so they get less damaged.

I was really surprised at the road conditions near Asheville. They were overall pretty good and smooth. I'd love to live in an area like that.
Change your jerb search then breh.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Change your jerb search then breh.
We're pretty rooted in Philly, brah. If she gets thrown out of her position at the coffee shop then it'll open up.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, Philly has money to fix roads. Mahtroit doesn't. There's just too many that are destroyed. It was fine when I wasn't working downtown because if I knew a bad road, there was another I could take that wasn't that bad. In Mahtroit, they're all bad outside of the highways and MAIN roads like Woodward, Jefferson, and Gratiot.
ChrisoftheNorth

And I'd love to move somewhere with better roads. Part of the reason I took the job that I did that moved me downtown was to get me experience doing things that can apply outside auto so we can hopefully move at some point.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Yea, Philly has money to fix roads. Mahtroit doesn't. There's just too many that are destroyed. It was fine when I wasn't working downtown because if I knew a bad road, there was another I could take that wasn't that bad. In Mahtroit, they're all bad outside of the highways and MAIN roads like Woodward, Jefferson, and Gratiot.
Yeah that sucks man. That's like Camden here. Philly does let some sections of the city go to complete shit though. West Philly is :yikes: , the roads are :mindblown: bad. They stay decently on top of it in South Philly because it's part of the city's inner grid system and heavily traveled by municipal vehicles like buses and whatnot.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Now we know why Ford is ditching cars. Even if gas prices go up, the chances of people with bad roads buying a Focus are slim to none. :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:30 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:32 pm Now we know why Ford is ditching cars. Even if gas prices go up, the chances of people with bad roads buying a Focus are slim to none. :mindblown:
Plus all the :tits: wanna get up on stilts.
:dat:

Seriously, I think crumbling roads are a major contributor to the crossover craze.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:31 pm
:dat:

Seriously, I think crumbling roads are a major contributor to the crossover craze.
I love the :aintcare: life when it comes to the :truk: and potholes.

Clenching my :knot: over anus-shattering roads gets old after a while. :wap:
These are my feels as well.
Apex

I am looking forward to going out to mah :truk: in 20 minutes and :aintcare: over all the potholes and shit roads home.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:35 pm
These are my feels as well.
But, when I do take the :meata: out... :fuckyeah:
Yea, I need to relegate the :poorvette: to barely driver status. That way I'll appreciate it more. I really need to get the fucking Volt done.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:39 pm I am looking forward to going out to mah :truk: in 20 minutes and :aintcare: over all the potholes and shit roads home.
I'm hoping for a highway only ride home with some :plaid: where I can fit it in.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:41 pm
Yea, I need to relegate the :poorvette: to barely driver status. That way I'll appreciate it more. I really need to get the fucking Volt done.
What's wrong with Voltron?
:tits: got rear ended, I'm fixing it myself instead of taking it up the :knot: by our :bs: "no fault" insurance.

Incident happened in Feb, and we drove it all screwed up until :poorvette: season. I'm just waiting for the bumper cover to be done at the body shop to reassemble. Hopefully next week and the :poorvette: will no longer be a DD.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:50 pm The roads I was on today were actually "fixed"...they mound up cold patch in the holes so that they last a while before they need to be patched again. That creates these small hills and valleys all over that result in some really painful :poorvette: driving when suspension travel is 3/4".

NC is :tits:

It'll probably be Los Angeles spec overcrowded in 30 more years, but may as well enjoy it now.
ChrisoftheNorth

Took the top off, got a few bits of :stig: between traffic, all on the highway...I fucking love this car. It's stupid.

I just need to stop driving it daily. I'll appreciate it if it's solely a car for fun.