Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

in4 road head review
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:47 am in4 road head review
:doge: cockblocked me this trip.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:36 am Rear defroster is basically a requirement 7mo a year here. Unless you want to run the A/C compressor constantly.
One of the tabs on the rear defroster glass on the Tahoe was broken off when I bought it. Only now, 9 years later, do I have a rear defroster. I never missed it, which speaks to the arid climate in which I primarily reside.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:53 am
razr390 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:47 am in4 road head review
:doge: cockblocked me this trip.
:rage:

:doge: will get the bed next time.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 am A CT update...

Drove 4 hours in it yesterday ~250 miles. It was BY FAR the most comfortable highway experience I've ever had. The lack of noise is astonishing, the seat is like sitting in a La Z Boy, and the ride/handling is effortless. I couldn't believe the time we made and how ready/fresh I felt arriving home. It's so drastically better than the JT, that I'm going to stop talking about it. It's a completely unfair comparison. In the quest for a couch highway cruiser, it's mission accomplished.

We took a load of stuff from my dad's garage that we've been using as a storage unit after we ran out of time moving with the JT, and with the bed completely full, it was like there was nothing back there. And it easily took 2x what the JT could...with the tailgate down on the JT and the tailgate up on the CT. The front bench seat was nice to let the :doge: ride in the middle, and we filled the back seat up with stuff we didn't want exposed to the elements. As a tool, this thing is phenomenal.

About half way through the drive, :tits: commented that it felt like there was great visibility...and I realized at that point the difference between a Ram and GM truck. The cowl/hood is noticeably lower in the Ram than the GM trucks. Over the summer I drove a friend's Silverado LT, and I HATED how piss poor the visibility was. It felt like sitting in a hole, like a Camaro, which made the large truck feel even larger and more difficult to park. Whether real or not, the Ram gives the impression that the hood is lower and less massive, which over time makes the truck shrink around you...my GMT400 did this. I can see the corners of the hood, which is impossible in a GM truck and REALLY makes it feel more maneuverable. If I drove the Ram and Silverado back to back, I'd vastly prefer the Ram, it's no surprise now why the Ram is on sales pace with the Silverado...it's the better truck no doubt. The incredible thing is the Ram is massive...must be the offroad group lift, but we passed 2500 trucks that we were eye level with and we looked down on Ford and GM trucks with regular suspension. Very commanding truck, but still doesn't feel as massive as the GM did now that I'm used to it.

The other area the Ram excels is interior DESIGN. I spent a lot of time looking around the interior during the drive, and it became apparent that the interior isn't actually much nicer than a GM, it just looks nicer. I'll take some pics to back it up, but just like a GM truck, everything you see is hard plastic. There's no soft touch anything anywhere...including the door panels. The arm "rest" is hard plastic. The dash is hard plastic. The steering wheel is rubber. But it doesn't LOOK like hard plastic. It has nice grain, nice design features, overall it appears to be high quality, but once you touch it, you realize it's not. Even the gayge cluster has a nice pleasing design to it. The warning lights have little molded sections where the live, the gauges look nice, and the tiny screen has way more functionality than it should. Where GM just does flat surfaces that makes it look cheap, the Ram adds design elements that make it look better. These design elements are part of the mold and cost very little extra to make, but result in a work truck feeling nicer than a Silverado LT (technically a step up).

Finally, the engine.

I wish I could report a bunch of regret and :rage: here, but I just can't. Somehow the V6 exhaust is tuned to give a lower growl than the JT, and it legit sounds like it's bigger than it is. It's a ridiculously pleasing engine note for what it is, this surprised me a lot. It's still slow off the line, taking off from a light or something, but once moving...there's zero to complain about. Even with a full bed, it was surprisingly adequate. On the highway, it doesn't go into 8th gear much...it results in the engine turning 1,700rpm at 80! The V6 doesn't like lugging down that far, but when it does, the mileage seems to be :notbad: We left with 90 miles on the truck, so a brand new powertrain, I had cruise set at 80 the entire time and it got an indicated 17mpg. We had a headwind, and the drive upstate is almost always 2mpg worse than the drive down for...reasons so I'm optimistic for FE as the engine breaks in. Even more amazing because the truck is so high. The JT couldn't crack 15 doing 75, so like I said above the comparison is just :lolol: and I'm going to stop that now.
Good info. :notbad:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I like trucks to be :truk: , I don't really what to haul myself in one unless I actually need it, so if I ever got one I'd probably consider one with a full size bed. The CT really appeals to me in this hypothetical discussion. :like:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Good info indeed.

Can this thing cruise in 8th ? Or does it need 7th and 6th a lot?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Dplac trying to make me feel stupid for getting a :fullretard: mid-sizer. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am Good info indeed.

Can this thing cruise in 8th ? Or does it need 7th and 6th a lot?
It pretty much lives in 7th on the highway. It'll kick down to 6th if passing, but it cruises in 7th. 8th is just too deep, and it NEVER shifts into 8th if going below 75. Indicated FE actually improved slightly from 75 to 80mph because it could utilize 8th more. Epic highway cruiser at 80 when it drops down to 8th and RPMs sit at 1,700.

Fortunately, the transmission is fantastic with snappy undetectable shifts. Most of the time, you don't even notice it shifting, I have a gear indicator on the little screen just for curiosity to keep track of above. Lightyears better than my old Silverado with the 4.3 and 6-speed (same powertrain GM STILL puts in work trucks :disgust: ). To that note, GM has a ton of different engine and transmission options that are all :butwhy: compared to how epic the 3.6 and ZF 8 speed are in this truck.

I think the 3.21 gears would pair perfectly with the HEMI since it's got the torque to lug down and purr in the low RPMs. It might shift a bit less, and FE would probably be similar. BUT, a HEMI is a $2k option these days, and TBH the 3.6 power is perfectly adequate for a truck like this and what I'm using it for.

One regret is I somehow missed the 33 gallon tank option. I thought it came standard, but the 23 gallon tank is standard and that's what I got. Results in a ~350ish mile range, which is better than the JT's <300, but I really wanted more range than that in this thing and it was only $4/mo to add on. Oh well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am Dplac trying to make me feel stupid for getting a :fullretard: mid-sizer. :lol:
Oh, not at all.

Despite its flaws, I loved the JT and still do. There's many aspects to the JT that I prefer to the CT, and I'll probably buy another one if my needs change. It's just that my current needs for a strong highway cruiser and stuff hauler make the JT less than ideal. Around town, wheeling, top off fun, there's nothing comparable to the JT.

The part I dislike most about the CT is what made the JT so appealing...feeling of specialness. The JT got comments everywhere from all walks of life. From the driver's seat, it just felt special. The view of the hood, the upright windshield, the interior design, it's a really cool feeling vehicle, and I still love the way they look way more. The CT is nice and all, but it's literally driving a contractor truck around. The only things helping it are the black elements instead of chrome and the OR pack lift and AT3W's.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think you hit the nail on the head with your interior talk. The Big Horn I had looked way better than the 2020 Silverado LT, and just tiny tiny changes to touch points made it feel a trim level above. For example my elbow hurt after about 20min in the silverado and it was so noticable because in the RAM it never hurt, and I did way more miles in it.

I think you're also right about the Hemi and 3.21s. you can't really go 80mph here but at 70mph it was sitting in 8th and hitting 21-22mpg. It hardly ever went into 4cyl more though above 55mph.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think you hit the nail on the head with your interior talk. The Big Horn I had looked way better than the 2020 Silverado LT, and just tiny tiny changes to touch points made it feel a trim level above. For example my elbow hurt after about 20min in the silverado and it was so noticable because in the RAM it never hurt, and I did way more miles in it.

I think you're also right about the Hemi and 3.21s. you can't really go 80mph here but at 70mph it was sitting in 8th and hitting 21-22mpg. It hardly ever went into 4cyl more though above 55mph.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:06 am
wap wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:43 pm

Even my fucking 1970 Beetle had a rear window defroster! FIFTY ONE YEARS AGO!! It's unconscionable that a modern vehicle doesn't come with one standard. You'd think they'd be mandatory.
I always thought they were less common in pickemups because the rear glass is so much closer to the front vents :iono:

I've had several poverty vehicles sans rear defroster, '97 Civic :manuel: everything and both the Jeep and Miata had vinyl rear windows.
Can't get much more poverty than a 1970 Beetle that was already 14 years old when I bought it. :lol:
VW has also been putting RWD's in their 'verts for decades now, too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:06 am

I always thought they were less common in pickemups because the rear glass is so much closer to the front vents :iono:

I've had several poverty vehicles sans rear defroster, '97 Civic :manuel: everything and both the Jeep and Miata had vinyl rear windows.
Can't get much more poverty than a 1970 Beetle that was already 14 years old when I bought it. :lol:
Airbag light at 18K miles :doe:

Gotta pay to play.

:trollface: (kind of)
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:56 am I think you hit the nail on the head with your interior talk. The Big Horn I had looked way better than the 2020 Silverado LT, and just tiny tiny changes to touch points made it feel a trim level above. For example my elbow hurt after about 20min in the silverado and it was so noticable because in the RAM it never hurt, and I did way more miles in it.

The door panel is all hard plastic including the arm rest. Yet somehow, my elbow didn't hurt after resting on it for hours. I'd somehow get a sore elbow resting on the padded armrest in the Colorado. No idea why/how that's possible.

A HEMI with 3.21's is probably equal in FE to a 3.6 with 3.21's. We'll see how it goes as my engine breaks in.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:10 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 pm

Airbag light at 18K miles :doe:

Gotta pay to play.

:trollface: (kind of)
:notwrong: :(
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:34 am
Apex wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am Dplac trying to make me feel stupid for getting a :fullretard: mid-sizer. :lol:
Oh, not at all.

Despite its flaws, I loved the JT and still do. There's many aspects to the JT that I prefer to the CT, and I'll probably buy another one if my needs change. It's just that my current needs for a strong highway cruiser and stuff hauler make the JT less than ideal. Around town, wheeling, top off fun, there's nothing comparable to the JT.

The part I dislike most about the CT is what made the JT so appealing...feeling of specialness. The JT got comments everywhere from all walks of life. From the driver's seat, it just felt special. The view of the hood, the upright windshield, the interior design, it's a really cool feeling vehicle, and I still love the way they look way more. The CT is nice and all, but it's literally driving a contractor truck around. The only things helping it are the black elements instead of chrome and the OR pack lift and AT3W's.
Porta Potty Roofs dominate the world.
ChrisoftheNorth

Not sure anyone cares, but as predicted the stupid CT is growing on me. I haven't really driven it a ton because I don't really go anywhere, but we find ourselves taking it more than the JL when we do. :tits: even choses to drive it over the JL on her own. She said she likes how high it is (I swear it has more ground clearance than my JTR did) and how comfy it is, but still prefers her JL because it has heated features.

There's no highways around me, so it's all been city. The 3.21 gears have proven to be perfectly fine, and the engine has plenty of power. It doesn't even really feel "slow" now that I've gotten the hang of driving it, it just feels 100% adequate. It hasn't shifted into 8th gear in a week since I don't drive over 60 anywhere, but to me, a transmission with that many gears makes sense to have a highway-only gear. The thing works perfectly fine around town, and that's been the biggest surprise TBH. We'll see how it tows, but I'm not towing heavy things (boat is 4k with trailer, glamper is 3k)...so I suspect it'll again be 100% adequate and probably handle towing duty better than the JT due to size.

Speaking of, the other surprise is how quickly I've adapted to its size. I mentioned it before, but the seating position combined with the cowl/hood height gives the driver a much more commanding view out compared to a GM full size. As a result, the truck just feels less massive and more manageable. The side windows are massive, the rear window is massive, the bumpers don't stick out much at all, so you know where the corners of the truck are. Parking hasn't been a huge issue, but I still don't take it downtown. Overall, I'm amazed how comfortable I am driving it.

The rotary shifter is fantastic. This is my first vehicle with it, and the ease of use combined with the space savings is incredible. I'll write up more detail in another post with photos, but this one little spot in the dash essentially replaces the entire center console in a JL/T, and it's easier to use!

Overall, this is working out. I don't even care about the tiny radio and other poverty. It just doesn't bother me because it's a truck and nothing more. But it still feels lightyears nicer than an old truck with the same features. I find myself being more excited about what it will enable (roof top tent, boat, etc) than caring about the vehicle itself. It's been a nice mental break and maybe just MAYBE I can be done with car :plac: shit for good.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:popcorn:
wap

Good stuff. Glad it's growing on you! In4morepicsandupdates.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:38 pm Good stuff. Glad it's growing on you! In4morepicsandupdates.
Big stuff in the next month when we drive out west to pick up the boat. Major :excited: there, mostly because this thing eats up highway miles like it's its job.

I'll probably post up installing the RTT on the bed :doe:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:46 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:38 pm Good stuff. Glad it's growing on you! In4morepicsandupdates.
Big stuff in the next month when we drive out west to pick up the boat. Major :excited: there, mostly because this thing eats up highway miles like it's its job.

I'll probably post up installing the RTT on the bed :doe:
:popcorn:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:31 pm Image

Not sure anyone cares, but as predicted the stupid CT is growing on me. I haven't really driven it a ton because I don't really go anywhere, but we find ourselves taking it more than the JL when we do. :tits: even choses to drive it over the JL on her own. She said she likes how high it is (I swear it has more ground clearance than my JTR did) and how comfy it is, but still prefers her JL because it has heated features.

There's no highways around me, so it's all been city. The 3.21 gears have proven to be perfectly fine, and the engine has plenty of power. It doesn't even really feel "slow" now that I've gotten the hang of driving it, it just feels 100% adequate. It hasn't shifted into 8th gear in a week since I don't drive over 60 anywhere, but to me, a transmission with that many gears makes sense to have a highway-only gear. The thing works perfectly fine around town, and that's been the biggest surprise TBH. We'll see how it tows, but I'm not towing heavy things (boat is 4k with trailer, glamper is 3k)...so I suspect it'll again be 100% adequate and probably handle towing duty better than the JT due to size.

Speaking of, the other surprise is how quickly I've adapted to its size. I mentioned it before, but the seating position combined with the cowl/hood height gives the driver a much more commanding view out compared to a GM full size. As a result, the truck just feels less massive and more manageable. The side windows are massive, the rear window is massive, the bumpers don't stick out much at all, so you know where the corners of the truck are. Parking hasn't been a huge issue, but I still don't take it downtown. Overall, I'm amazed how comfortable I am driving it.

The rotary shifter is fantastic. This is my first vehicle with it, and the ease of use combined with the space savings is incredible. I'll write up more detail in another post with photos, but this one little spot in the dash essentially replaces the entire center console in a JL/T, and it's easier to use!

Overall, this is working out. I don't even care about the tiny radio and other poverty. It just doesn't bother me because it's a truck and nothing more. But it still feels lightyears nicer than an old truck with the same features. I find myself being more excited about what it will enable (roof top tent, boat, etc) than caring about the vehicle itself. It's been a nice mental break and maybe just MAYBE I can be done with car :plac: shit for good.
I care. How's the back seat in that nasty bitch?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:31 pm Image

Yea I hear ya. I mean to be honest the soggy cuckoma (01 extended cab) I have sitting in the driveway does everything "truck" related I needed it to do. Even with crack windows/non power locks and a whopping 150hp and 4 speeds, it hits 90mph. Doesn't need to be faster, and I don't need any other features.

That's just a pointless "want" not a need. Your truck is obviously levels nicer and comes with most amenities and 4x4, should do just fine.

Glad you're enjoying it :)
razr390

Called it. And I’m so happy for you. My next car will be something like this