Brad's Garage, It's not easy being Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 am paging :fax:

How is your winch secured to the block of wood? Carriage bolts?

I'm thinking I'm going to attach one of these to the garage ceiling for motorbike work.
The base of the winch is threaded (M8x1.25 IIRC) so i just got some appropriate length bolts and countersunk the 2x6 so it would mount flush to the wall. I used washers in my countersunk holes. This does mean you have to mount the winch to your wood and then mount the wood to the wall/ceiling, yes it's heavy, yes it's a bitch, yes OSHA would not have approved. #safteythird I stuck it to the wall with regular old wood screws so I could install the lag bolts after.

Lag bolts with washers for securing the 2x6 to the wall. Make sure to pre drill the stud and offset them so it does not split the stud, or joist in your case. I basically echoed the directions used when installing my TV mount(s).

http://www.kaiserstructural.com/how-to- ... lag-screw/
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 am paging :fax:

How is your winch secured to the block of wood? Carriage bolts?

I'm thinking I'm going to attach one of these to the garage ceiling for motorbike work.
The base of the winch is threaded (M8x1.25 IIRC) so i just got some appropriate length bolts and countersunk the 2x6 so it would mount flush to the wall. I used washers in my countersunk holes. This does mean you have to mount the winch to your wood and then mount the wood to the wall/ceiling, yes it's heavy, yes it's a bitch, yes OSHA would not have approved. #safteythird I stuck it to the wall with regular old wood screws so I could install the lag bolts after.

Lag bolts with washers for securing the 2x6 to the wall. Make sure to pre drill the stud and offset them so it does not split the stud, or joist in your case. I basically echoed the directions used when installing my TV mount(s).

:like: you said wood :huehue:

I haven't decided yet if I'll mount it to wood and then to the ceiling, or just cut a hole in the ceiling and mount it in the attic like a lot of people do.

The latter is easier, but then I've got a hole to deal with.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:20 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 am

I haven't decided yet if I'll mount it to wood and then to the ceiling, or just cut a hole in the ceiling and mount it in the attic like a lot of people do.

True, but its also an 80 dollar winch so you could always just leave it.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:20 am

True, but its also an 80 dollar winch so you could always just leave it.
Actually, I think I will mount it in the ceiling, as long as I safe the chunk of drywall, it will be easy to patch later if needed.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I just checked into this thread. I dig the winch wall mount. Gets shit out of the way.
I need to look into a HF winch to design a thing I've got in my head for pulling spare race wheels to my ceiling in my garage.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am I just checked into this thread. I dig the winch wall mount. Gets shit out of the way.
I need to look into a HF winch to design a thing I've got in my head for pulling spare race wheels to my ceiling in my garage.
check out this page, i bet something like this is what you are driving at. replace trailer with platform.
http://panofish.net/garage-trailer-lift/
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 am
Acid666 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am I just checked into this thread. I dig the winch wall mount. Gets shit out of the way.
check out this page, i bet something like this is what you are driving at. replace trailer with platform.
Oh wow, not really what I envisioned, but it's actually better. Never thought of just going thru the ceiling but this is perfect.
My garage ceiling isn't super tall but I've got enough space to put something high and make it not interfere with anything. The plan was that thin gap between the garage door (in up position) and the ceiling was to make some shelves where I could shove sheets of plywood and 2X4s for storage in that gap, and to use a pulley system to raise my tires off the ground and basically suck them into the ceiling. Similar to how a spare tire holder works on a truck where you put a ring or whatever in the center of the rim and then winch it up to pull it towards the truck bed, I was going to pulley them together. I don't have the room for a wall rack, so that's why I wanted to raise them up. This system is genius here. I might have to do a version of this shit right here.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 am

Oh wow, not really what I envisioned, but it's actually better. Never thought of just going thru the ceiling but this is perfect.
My garage ceiling isn't super tall but I've got enough space to put something high and make it not interfere with anything. The plan was that thin gap between the garage door (in up position) and the ceiling was to make some shelves where I could shove sheets of plywood and 2X4s for storage in that gap, and to use a pulley system to raise my tires off the ground and basically suck them into the ceiling. Similar to how a spare tire holder works on a truck where you put a ring or whatever in the center of the rim and then winch it up to pull it towards the truck bed, I was going to pulley them together. I don't have the room for a wall rack, so that's why I wanted to raise them up. This system is genius here. I might have to do a version of this shit right here.
:doit:

I was going to :doit: for my trailer setup, but I have the room for the wall storage and now i even have the winch if i ever want to upgrade my setup. I decided to go with a few hours project vs. a few days project till I need the space in the garage for an actual thing.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Maybe I can just build a platform and put the tires on that along with a few other race things that only need to come down once every other month or so.
Not sure what else I'd put though. I do like this idea tho, as I've got nothing but attic space above my garage so I've got clearance to put all this stuff wherever I need. I'd just need to make sure it can all be supported properly.
Also need to make sure it's capable of holding the weight depending if it's a winch or a hoist.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Nowhere else to put this, but I found out my IRS thing got resolved so that 1800 dollar bill the tax man was trying to sling at me went away. So that's good.

Prob going to get an escrow refund check in the ~2k range. That plus some savings will kill all the HELOC debt from the BMW /acura /odyssey :dill: At that point we will have some cash on the side and no debt other than the house and the car. Not a bad place to be.

Unless some unicorn :dill: falls into my lap in the next couple months I'm going to just try to save some cash so I can buy a unicorn car deal in the next year or so.

I've also decided I miss autox, and I miss being competitive at autox, so I'm going to buy a competitive autox car that is hopefully cheapish to run. IE a NB miata, MR2 Spyder, s2k...i guess that's the list really. Because I also want a fun roadster and not just a cheap to run competitive car. Those three are the only ones that tick all the boxes.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I think an 01-02 6-speed LS miata is the ticket for smaller local autox lots and being fun on the street. The shorter gearing sucks for big national courses but is great everywhere else. IIRC you get like 53 mph at the top of 2nd.

Yeah it's heavier than a 99 sport with no AC or PS, but it's better as a real car and gets 1/2" wider wheels and VVT power. Throw some 205/50/15 RE71Rs on it with a shock+bar+catback package from Goodwin and have fun.
troyguitar

Also, it's technically illegal for ES but I'd go ahead and do the "foamectomy" on the miata seats to keep your head out of the roof. No one gives a shit, especially at local events. I wouldn't even care at nationals.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:02 pm Also, it's technically illegal for ES but I'd go ahead and do the "foamectomy" on the miata seats to keep your head out of the roof. No one gives a shit, especially at local events. I wouldn't even care at nationals.
yea, enough cars have had that done at this point that i bet no one even knows what a stock seat looks like these days.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

I just re-checked the gearing for the 6MT NB's and it's definitely the way to go. With 205/50's you're at 55.7 mph on the limiter in 2nd, almost exactly the same as my car.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 10582.html

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 793NB.html

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1045.html

Add tarz and the brake pads of your choice to fine tune the brake bias (if you want a full :unicorn: build then hunt for a car with ABS but it's a really rare option on NB's).
troyguitar

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

says 5spd doe.

:notsure:
troyguitar

The 5-speed and 4.3 diff is better for bigger events. 6-speed/3.9 swap is easy and cheap if you wanted to go that way. A car that's been fully set up and sorted within the past year for that cheap is :notbad: :doe:

It's even got the semi-rare cloth seats. Most NB's I see are slippery leather.

You could downsize to 195/50/15 tarz too and drop the gearing (and ride height) down a bit and save another $50 or so per set of tarz. 59.x mph 2nd with the 5-speed on 195's ain't bad at all, I'm at 56.x on my car.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dang, thats a :dill:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

dubshow wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:40 pm
says 5spd doe.

The MSM was the only 6-speed NB.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:18 am
dang, thats a :dill:
:dat:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:19 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:40 pm

says 5spd doe.

that is incorrect.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:23 am
Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:19 am

that is incorrect.
You're a towel.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:31 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:23 am

that is incorrect.
You're a towel.
1 up from jizz towel
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain