Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:Turned out fucking awesome. Patience pays off, and now it'll be super easy to keep nice for a while.
Thanks man, it was worth the extra steps. I'd rather not seal in any junk or imperfections FWIW
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Apex wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 pm That blue looks amazing doe.
:dat:
:dat:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:40 pm Finally wiped down the surface with IPA/water mix and finished the CQ job up. It's a shit load of work mangs.
Beer cleans cars? I did not know this. Which IPA did you use, something strong like a Bells Two Hearted or something more mild?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm
Apex wrote:Are the inside exhaust tips darker/dirtier than the outside ones?
Yup, I didn't waste time on anything outside of the paint correction scope of work. 3M coated bumpers, wheels and exhaust still need a good cleaning. The exhaust is valved and I'm guessing that's why some of the openings look cleaner.
Is there a loud mod for the flappers?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:38 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm Yup, I didn't waste time on anything outside of the paint correction scope of work. 3M coated bumpers, wheels and exhaust still need a good cleaning. The exhaust is valved and I'm guessing that's why some of the openings look cleaner.
Is there a loud mod for the flappers?
I guess always open through VAG-COM. It would sound the same as the Race Mode setting which is still pretty subdued.

With the spinulator disconnected the car still sounds entertaining to me, there are intake noises happening that I didn't hear before, as well as some notbad DSG farts, throttle blips etc. I prefer it unplugged. The car would definitely benefit from more exhaust sound but I don't want it to lose its refined feel so nothing rediculous.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:36 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:40 pm Finally wiped down the surface with IPA/water mix and finished the CQ job up. It's a shit load of work mangs.
Beer cleans cars? I did not know this. Which IPA did you use, something strong like a Bells Two Hearted or something more mild?
Lulz.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:36 am Beer cleans cars? I did not know this. Which IPA did you use, something strong like a Bells Two Hearted or something more mild?
Lulz.
Do you people even CQuartz DIY youtube videos bros?
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Tarspin wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:18 pm Not bad, I need to find out if this impedes the parking sensors that I was forced to purchase. Also, seems pricey

http://www.rennline.com/audi-mk7-gti-je ... .1130/USA/

Here they have a mounting system for those nice long plates we have. A plate holder that is screwed in from the bottom of the bumper centered to hold it in the middle as its required here. Wow what a concept. Drill beneath and out of view. Why is this so hard everywhere else. Tow hook plate mounts off center are fkn ghetto. Period.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Davestr wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:18 pm Not bad, I need to find out if this impedes the parking sensors that I was forced to purchase. Also, seems pricey

http://www.rennline.com/audi-mk7-gti-je ... .1130/USA/

Here they have a mounting system for those nice long plates we have. A plate holder that is screwed in from the bottom of the bumper centered to hold it in the middle as its required here. Wow what a concept. Drill beneath and out of view. Why is this so hard everywhere else. Tow hook plate mounts off center are fkn ghetto. Period.
Not feeling drilling into the bottom of my bumper and our plates are pretty tall so ghetto superstar it remains. I was going to look into more options after I got the car but the tow hook thing is working out good enough. In a way I like that I could angle the plate to stay parallel with the angle of the bumper.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Not much going on, just filing an updated photo of my winter setup. Image

I like 17s on this thing. Set the car to comfort mode and it feels like I'm driving a lincoln.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So i think that it's time for an update since my last post.

Tints all around (windshield incl) 70% XPel Ceramic blah blah. Keeping that sun at bay.

Mirror caps $11 x 2 from Xhina look good, fit up is 5/7 material quality is 2.5/7

I'm happy with both mods, but things always start with just an innocent little change and then....Image
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Crazy how much better the golf looks with the R wheels over those winter wheels. And it looks like it even gets parked HARD when the nice wheels are on vs the poverty spec ones.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Boom!

:wasteful: Remus catback got picked up just meow. There's something wrong with me. $1500 for a valved SS Remus catback with meh middle of the line tips. I decided today that the car needs more personality then a spinulator thingy attached to the windshield.ImageImage
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:Crazy how much better the golf looks with the R wheels over those winter wheels. And it looks like it even gets parked HARD when the nice wheels are on vs the poverty spec ones.
Thanks! I really like the prets. They go great with the ride height and skirt pkg on the R. No regrets buying this beastie.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:20 pm Boom!

:wasteful: Remus catback got picked up just meow. There's something wrong with me. $1500 for a valved SS Remus catback with meh middle of the line tips. I decided today that the car needs more personality then a spinulator thingy attached to the windshield.ImageImage
Does that sound noticeably different?
$1500 for an exhaust is nuts...

Then again the next level up from mine is $4500 check out the tips they look basically the same.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:

Does that sound noticeably different?

Then again the next level up from mine is $4500 check out the tips they look basically the same.
Theres at least a 500 price jump because of the valved receiver bracket and extra tips. GTI uses 2 tips and no valve, and remus sells three styles of tips. The more expensive carbon versions look like the ones you posted up but are hundreds more then these. Basic tips are chrome plated and all silver.

It's (arguably) the best sounding exhaust available for the GoRf and would sound better if it had a downpipe included but that requires a t00n and we all know how that sad story ends. No fkn t00ns!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote:
max225 wrote: Does that sound noticeably different?

Theres at least a 500 price jump because of the valved receiver bracket and extra tips. GTI uses 2 tips and no valve, and remus sells three styles of tips. The more expensive carbon versions look like the ones you posted up but are hundreds more then these. Basic tips are chrome plated and all silver.

It's (arguably) the best sounding exhaust available for the GoRf and would sound better if it had a downpipe included but that requires a t00n and we all know how that sad story ends. No fkn t00ns!
You're not in to breaking camshafts in two?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote:
Tarspin wrote:Theres at least a 500 price jump because of the valved receiver bracket and extra tips. GTI uses 2 tips and no valve, and remus sells three styles of tips. The more expensive carbon versions look like the ones you posted up but are hundreds more then these. Basic tips are chrome plated and all silver.

You're not in to breaking camshafts in two?
It's too cold for dolphins up here so I wouldn't know how to snap it in half.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote:Boom!

:fuckyeah:

Gonna need lots of sound clips!

I told myself I wouldn't buy another exhaust but who knows.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote:Boom!

:fuckyeah:

I'll be happy to upload some clips of the new noises once I bolt this on! Hopefully I get a warm and dry day soon.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:ohmy: :fuckyeah:
max225

Also your car has 8 tips and 1 exhaust pipe at the moment :yikes:

post up before and after, please. Curious what it sounds like
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:ohdang: :popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm
Gberg2119 wrote::fuckyeah:

I'll be happy to upload some clips of the new noises once I bolt this on! Hopefully I get a warm and dry day soon.
Also if you're coming to the PDRBQ we'll be able to compare side by side!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm I'll be happy to upload some clips of the new noises once I bolt this on! Hopefully I get a warm and dry day soon.
Also if you're coming to the PDRBQ we'll be able to compare side by side!
I'm really looking forward to it. I hope that it works out on my end!