How was the first ride to work?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote::fuckyeah: blue brother! :jimp:

:hai:

My drive to work was :jimp: , I took it easy and varied my speeds often, sticking mainly to 15 mph above and below the speed limit depending on traffic to give the car a normal break in.

I got home after doing about 60 miles on the freeway and a little city and just sat another 15 min in the car playing with the interface to dig up a few fun new features.

I'm loving the blue so far, it transitions to a purple hue in rainy/overcast weather and looks even better, and the double U shaped daytime running lights look amazing IRL.

The car is full of little surprises inside and out. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but MK6 to MK7 is a DRASTIC improvement in chassis. The car is mindblown tight and quiet. When the doors clunk closed its dead silent in there and the car is very composed at all speeds and over all kinds of road conditions.

The biggest positive surprise to me is the DSG, I can really see a big difference in smoothness and responsiveness to my MK6. At low speeds and in stop and go it's silky smooth. The only thing I didn't like was it's variable response time. It was lightning fast if I was shifting in the right rpm range or if it took care of itself, but when it was in manual mode and I wanted to upshift when it wasn't liking it then I'd get a delayed response. Typical Germans with their 'only one right way to do something' attitudes :rolleyes: Otherwise it did everything right, and did everything much better then my previous generation DSG did.

Creature comforts are :impressive: and the superior interior concept have been taken to another level. Coming from a 2012 mark six this this feels more Audi then VW. I didn't get down to work until after 2pm and stayed until 11pm which gave me a daytime and nightime driving experience. I'm going from halogen to xenon headlights, a 5 inch screen to an 8"? screen with a much higher resolution that responds really quickly to inputs and 400w fender sound system, etc. The blue theme of the R needles carry through to accents all over the car, door panels, kick plates, and stereo all match and light up with a blue led strip. The headlights are 5/7, nearly as good as my all time favorite juans on the 2004 Acura TL, the air conditioning blows through the overhead console as well so less air flow is needed to keep you cooler, and I like the black liner and no sunroof format. Feels cavernous in there. The sunglass compartment is about three times bigger then it was last gen, so even if I decide to become an elvis impersonator I'll still be able to stow away my spectacles in their correct location.

The adaptive CC and lane assist work pretty good. The car slows down less abruptly then my wife's Touareg when ACC kicks in. The lane assist kept the car in the lane even around a bend but the car is small so it tends to wander side to side, otherwise it's good day and night and did well on a road that had some worn out lane paint.

The drive wasn't very spirited but it represents the typical DD duty the car will perform most days. I played with the various settings bouncing between comfort, normal and race mode. I like race mode the most, it stiffens the suspension a bit, steering is properly weighted, but I don't love the soundaktor so I made my own custom profile that is essentially race mode minus the fake sound. Soundaktor only has two settings Normal/Gay, so I'll see what I can do to unplug it when I get a sec.

Lastly, I goosed the gas pedal full throttle just once yesterday and the DSG instantly threw the car into fourth gear from sixth on the freeway and I found myself quickly ripping towards the red line before I could let off. Not good for a new car getting broken in but it's a very promising display of power. This should be a fun car to DD if it stays reliable for me.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Awesome! Sounds like a hell of an improvement over the MK6. Xenon lights rock I loved those on my GTI. Glad you're enjoying it finally!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:

My drive to work was :jimp: , I took it easy and varied my speeds often, sticking mainly to 15 mph above and below the speed limit depending on traffic to give the car a normal break in.

I got home after doing about 60 miles on the freeway and a little city and just sat another 15 min in the car playing with the interface to dig up a few fun new features.

I'm loving the blue so far, it transitions to a purple hue in rainy/overcast weather and looks even better, and the double U shaped daytime running lights look amazing IRL.

The car is full of little surprises inside and out. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but MK6 to MK7 is a DRASTIC improvement in chassis. The car is mindblown tight and quiet. When the doors clunk closed its dead silent in there and the car is very composed at all speeds and over all kinds of road conditions.

The biggest positive surprise to me is the DSG, I can really see a big difference in smoothness and responsiveness to my MK6. At low speeds and in stop and go it's silky smooth. The only thing I didn't like was it's variable response time. It was lightning fast if I was shifting in the right rpm range or if it took care of itself, but when it was in manual mode and I wanted to upshift when it wasn't liking it then I'd get a delayed response. Typical Germans with their 'only one right way to do something' attitudes :rolleyes: Otherwise it did everything right, and did everything much better then my previous generation DSG did.

Creature comforts are :impressive: and the superior interior concept have been taken to another level. Coming from a 2012 mark six this this feels more Audi then VW. I didn't get down to work until after 2pm and stayed until 11pm which gave me a daytime and nightime driving experience. I'm going from halogen to xenon headlights, a 5 inch screen to an 8"? screen with a much higher resolution that responds really quickly to inputs and 400w fender sound system, etc. The blue theme of the R needles carry through to accents all over the car, door panels, kick plates, and stereo all match and light up with a blue led strip. The headlights are 5/7, nearly as good as my all time favorite juans on the 2004 Acura TL, the air conditioning blows through the overhead console as well so less air flow is needed to keep you cooler, and I like the black liner and no sunroof format. Feels cavernous in there. The sunglass compartment is about three times bigger then it was last gen, so even if I decide to become an elvis impersonator I'll still be able to stow away my spectacles in their correct location.

The adaptive CC and lane assist work pretty good. The car slows down less abruptly then my wife's Touareg when ACC kicks in. The lane assist kept the car in the lane even around a bend but the car is small so it tends to wander side to side, otherwise it's good day and night and did well on a road that had some worn out lane paint.

The drive wasn't very spirited but it represents the typical DD duty the car will perform most days. I played with the various settings bouncing between comfort, normal and race mode. I like race mode the most, it stiffens the suspension a bit, steering is properly weighted, but I don't love the soundaktor so I made my own custom profile that is essentially race mode minus the fake sound. Soundaktor only has two settings Normal/Gay, so I'll see what I can do to unplug it when I get a sec.

Lastly, I goosed the gas pedal full throttle just once yesterday and the DSG instantly threw the car into fourth gear from sixth on the freeway and I found myself quickly ripping towards the red line before I could let off. Not good for a new car getting broken in but it's a very promising display of power. This should be a fun car to DD if it stays reliable for me.
:plaid:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tarspin wrote:Yes sir... heading to work in the new egg! :fuckyeah:

I'm really enjoying this thing.

From the slowest to the fastest egg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
Tarspin wrote: :hai:

:plaid:
:dat:

Nicely summarized
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Tarspin wrote:Yes sir... heading to work in the new egg! :fuckyeah:

I'm really enjoying this thing.

From the slowest to the fastest egg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:like:

I can't wait to :stig: this egg
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Washed. It's going to be hard keeping this car looking clean and not swirling up the paint and black trim. Image
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Dat blue. :jimp:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 am

That sounds so :jimp:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I was thinking about picking up an OBDeleven from DAP. They're only $60 and it supposedly can do 90% of what vag-com does. The soundaktor can be disabled with it as well as the exhaust valves. However, if you do a resonator delete with valves disabled, it seems to be a mixed bag with drone. Some forum bros say there's a ton while some say it's not much.

I am :jelly: of that 8" screen though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2thz3Qo8QI
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:I was thinking about picking up an OBDeleven from DAP. They're only $60 and it supposedly can do 90% of what vag-com does. The soundaktor can be disabled with it as well as the exhaust valves. However, if you do a resonator delete with valves disabled, it seems to be a mixed bag with drone. Some forum bros say there's a ton while some say it's not much.

I am :jelly: of that 8" screen though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2thz3Qo8QI
For $60 I might get one too. If it were the vibrator alone I'd possibly just unplug it but I like windows up/down with the key fob and will change my own pads and/or rotors so I'll need something to recalibrate the hand brake servo.

Letting me know if you decide to get it.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The improvements is exactly what I have thought when I test drove it upon purchase. I was so close to get a mk6 R, but after the test drive, I pretty much forgot about the mk6. I don't miss the drivability (other than being nimble), brakes are shit, body roll, etc. But atheistically, I miss mine with R tails.

When I was just taking her home, I felt at home driving it. Buying a newer german car is like buying a new iphone.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:38 am Washed. It's going to be hard keeping this car looking clean and not swirling up the paint and black trim. Image
Good shit, :bruh:

:megusta:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Woot woot woot! Now we just gotta get the other eggggR
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 pm Woot woot woot! Now we just gotta get the other eggggR
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote:The improvements is exactly what I have thought when I test drove it upon purchase. I was so close to get a mk6 R, but after the test drive, I pretty much forgot about the mk6. I don't miss the drivability (other than being nimble), brakes are shit, body roll, etc. But atheistically, I miss mine with R tails.

When I was just taking her home, I felt at home driving it. Buying a newer german car is like buying a new iphone.
It's been 5/7, ultra refined experience. My MK6 was dear to me but this is better in every measurable and immeasurable way... except fuel economy.

I often put people on speaker phone because Bluetooth sucked, now it's like...whoa, that was a serene interactive convo I just had on Bluetooth! The only thing that's pissing me off ATM is the android auto interface. Not sure exactly what functions are available, but connecting and enabling features has been unpleasant. At one point I had text messages on the dash and now I can't pull them up anymore. The problem is that I've been enabling features on the deck and phone at the same time so retracing my steps is cumbersome and I barely have time for shit. I'll tinker with it once I'm on production support from my car I guess.

Not sure about the GTI but i am really surprised with the über short gearing... I mean holy fuck! I think this car is quicker then other cars like the FoRS because of the quick shifting trans and the tight gearing. It really needs seven to eight gears to be perfect all around including prolonged highway travel :doe: but I see why they did what they did.
max225

What rpm is it at on the freeway ?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote:The improvements is exactly what I have thought when I test drove it upon purchase. I was so close to get a mk6 R, but after the test drive, I pretty much forgot about the mk6. I don't miss the drivability (other than being nimble), brakes are shit, body roll, etc. But atheistically, I miss mine with R tails.

It's been 5/7, ultra refined experience. My MK6 was dear to me but this is better in every measurable and immeasurable way... except fuel economy.

I often put people on speaker phone because Bluetooth sucked, now it's like...whoa, that was a serene interactive convo I just had on Bluetooth! The only thing that's pissing me off ATM is the android auto interface. Not sure exactly what functions are available, but connecting and enabling features has been unpleasant. At one point I had text messages on the dash and now I can't pull them up anymore. The problem is that I've been enabling features on the deck and phone at the same time so retracing my steps is cumbersome and I barely have time for shit. I'll tinker with it once I'm on production support from my car I guess.

Not sure about the GTI but i am really surprised with the über short gearing... I mean holy fuck! I think this car is quicker then other cars like the FoRS because of the quick shifting trans and the tight gearing. It really needs seven to eight gears to be perfect all around including prolonged highway travel :doe: but I see why they did what they did.
Yeah I'm still not sure how to get Android auto working with texts. I guess mainly because it already has built in text when your phone is connected through Bluetooth.

The gearing in the :manuel: seems pretty similar to my Mk6 GTI. It's definitely not long like the Mk7 GTI supposedly is. 80mph I'm at about 3k.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: It's been 5/7, ultra refined experience. My MK6 was dear to me but this is better in every measurable and immeasurable way... except fuel economy.

Yeah I'm still not sure how to get Android auto working with texts. I guess mainly because it already has built in text when your phone is connected through Bluetooth.

The gearing in the :manuel: seems pretty similar to my Mk6 GTI. It's definitely not long like the Mk7 GTI supposedly is. 80mph I'm at about 3k.

Right, text msg only with Bluetooth. Ok then, that's the win. Sadly, my text menus disappear when android is connected. So it's an either or situation unless there's another setting that I missed.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:What rpm is it at on the freeway ?
2500 at 60
2700 at 70
3200 at 80

Top gear should probably be about 10% taller imo
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 am
Tarspin wrote: It's been 5/7, ultra refined experience. My MK6 was dear to me but this is better in every measurable and immeasurable way... except fuel economy.

I do know gear ratios are different with DSG vs Manual, at 70 mine sits at 2k RPM and it is DSG. It's still not bad, IIRC my mk6 sat like 3k RPM at 65-70ish.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 am Yeah I'm still not sure how to get Android auto working with texts. I guess mainly because it already has built in text when your phone is connected through Bluetooth.

I do know gear ratios are different with DSG vs Manual, at 70 mine sits at 2k RPM and it is DSG. It's still not bad, IIRC my mk6 sat like 3k RPM at 65-70ish.
That's a big difference in rpm. 2000 vs 2700 at 70, both mk7 w/DSG. It sounds accurate because there is a 3 mpg spread on hiway milage rating.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:56 am
max225 wrote:What rpm is it at on the freeway ?
2500 at 60
2700 at 70
3200 at 80

Oh wow I forgot you got a :manuel: those are some short ass gears that's for sure. Looks like
Mk7 R is using the mk6 R box
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:12 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:56 am
2500 at 60
2700 at 70
3200 at 80

Oh wow I forgot you got a :manuel: those are some short ass gears that's for sure. Looks like
Mk7 R is using the mk6 R box
Gberg has :manuel:
Tarspin has DaveSTR-spec flappy paddles

Probably can't go wrong either way. The DSG intrigues me.