Strut your greasy stuff!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:24 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:46 pm

:like:

So far so good. Just had it's first oil change and another bleeder block installed. I'm pretty sure I need new winter ramz doe.

Rav has been solid. No issues as well there shouldn’t be.
I'm pulling my ramz out of storage today. I've had three years with them so squeezing a fourth might be a stretch. :popcorn: on that expense.

Did you get a hybrid or base 2.5 engine in your Rav? How does the trans behave?
I actually just got back from Costco and they told me my hub rings on the Enkei's are causing the vibrations at high speed. They said there's lots of play and they're probably the wrong size which is strange because I bought the same ones from Tire Rack that came with the set initially.

Also as a PSA, never buy Enkei's. The finish on them is complete trash. While the finish was wearing off before, I noticed a few bubbles by the centercaps when putting them back on. Just ordered some new hub rings from amazon before I decide on new ramz. I'll drop the $10 before $1200+.

The Rav just has the 2.5. Trans is kinda meh. There is some jerkiness here and there that reviewers have mentioned. The engine also sounds pretty bad but it's really just an appliance.

One thing that really triggers me for some reason is that only the drivers window lights up on the drivers door. Lock/Unlock, mirrors, and the other windows do not light up at night.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:33 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:24 am

I'm pulling my ramz out of storage today. I've had three years with them so squeezing a fourth might be a stretch. :popcorn: on that expense.

Did you get a hybrid or base 2.5 engine in your Rav? How does the trans behave?
I actually just got back from Costco and they told me my hub rings on the Enkei's are causing the vibrations at high speed. They said there's lots of play and they're probably the wrong size which is strange because I bought the same ones from Tire Rack that came with the set initially.

Also as a PSA, never buy Enkei's. The finish on them is complete trash. While the finish was wearing off before, I noticed a few bubbles by the centercaps when putting them back on. Just ordered some new hub rings from amazon before I decide on new ramz. I'll drop the $10 before $1200+.

The Rav just has the 2.5. Trans is kinda meh. There is some jerkiness here and there that reviewers have mentioned. The engine also sounds pretty bad but it's really just an appliance.

One thing that really triggers me for some reason is that only the drivers window lights up on the drivers door. Lock/Unlock, mirrors, and the other windows do not light up at night.
Yea most aftermarket wheels tend to be of inferior quality to OEM. I have always had issues starting from vibrations, but also fit and finish as you mentioned as well. Sparco's were good but it was tough to balance them right, and i can't stand hub centric rings.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:30 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Yea most aftermarket wheels tend to be of inferior quality to OEM. I have always had issues starting from vibrations, but also fit and finish as you mentioned as well. Sparco's were good but it was tough to balance them right, and i can't stand hub centric rings.
My VMR wheels were really well put together, I would get those again, mind you they never saw winter weather so I don't know how they'd hold up against the salt/etc.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Light snow and freezing temps tomorrow. Hmm, do I throw the worn to shit winter set on tonight and use that to get to the alignment/tire shop or roll in my summer set? Predicaments.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

3/4 well worn winter tars > 4/4 good summers. I have the means and space to :doit: and it will keep me from lugging the summer set back home in my car tomorrow.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:59 pm

My VMR wheels were really well put together, I would get those again, mind you they never saw winter weather so I don't know how they'd hold up against the salt/etc.
The Enkei's were my summer wheels on the Mk6. Never saw snow or salt until they went on the R but I noticed the finish wearing before that. Big disappointment.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:19 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:51 am I think that I'm going to throw in an alignment before the next set go on. I haven't needed to do one since I got the car, but the dealer uses some clamp on measuring tool which I'm :notsure: about.
What do your current tires look like on the car ?
Tires and brakes:

They seem to be worn fairly evenly, but without a proper gauge I'm just guessing 8/32 ish.

FL:
RL:
FR:
RR:

Assuming even brake wear on the inside of the pads, I think that these are wearing nicely and still have some good :meat: , maybe another year or two of life hopefully.

Rear rotors have looked like garbage from day one but they work.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:49 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:19 pm

What do your current tires look like on the car ?
Tires and brakes:

They seem to be worn fairly evenly, but without a proper gauge I'm just guessing 8/32 ish.

FL:
RL:
FR:
RR:

Assuming even brake wear on the inside of the pads, I think that these are wearing nicely and still have some good :meat: , maybe another year or two of life hopefully.

These tires look very even. Quite bizarre as to why that winter tire looks so messed up. Maybe the wheel wasn't mounted right or something ? is that a possibility ? You would have noticed a pull to the right or left at the very least. So strange.

Also brakes look about 35-50% left, so depending on the miles on the car that could be anywhere from 30-100k miles, doesn't look like something that needs to be addressed for at least another 2 years.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:49 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:45 pm

I'm not doing an alignment every time i switch tires. :lol:
This. Not cost effective at the going alignment rate.
Yarp. I think Rudy was referring to proper wheel balancing, but we all caught on a bit later. All good though.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm switching profiles from 225/45r17s to 215/50r17. There should be an extra 1/2" of sidewall and they will better cut through deep snow, if only marginally. Conti Vikingcontact 7s ordered. They should be a good all around product and I'm :excited: because we are forecasted to have 3" tomorrow.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings-re ... etail=true
Last edited by Tar on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

VMR wheels are actually hub-centric :themoreyouknow:

They follow OEM fit/finish if you buy them specifically for your car from them.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:49 pm

Tires and brakes:

FL:
RL:
FR:
RR:

These tires look very even. Quite bizarre as to why that winter tire looks so messed up. Maybe the wheel wasn't mounted right or something ? is that a possibility ? You would have noticed a pull to the right or left at the very least. So strange.

Also brakes look about 35-50% left, so depending on the miles on the car that could be anywhere from 30-100k miles, doesn't look like something that needs to be addressed for at least another 2 years.
I don't think there is a way to mount the wheel unevenly, I tighten the bolts by hand and use a calibrated torque wrench to finish the job. The bolts seat the wheel and I always wiggle the wheel to center it in place and tighten star pattern like a boss. They are dealer supplied wheels so the fit is good. If anything was not right I would see and feel it while installing and/or driving the car. Curious to see what kind of alignment numbers i get.

Those brakes! On the low end of your guestimation, I'm good for another .4x75k miles=30k for a grand total of 105k miles. That's pretty good and another proverbial rose to the moran engineers. Kind of makes me want to go OEM again, but they are pretty dusty and the rotors rust quite a bit so :iono: , I'll not worry about any of it until 2022.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:06 pm

VMR wheels are actually hub-centric :themoreyouknow:

They follow OEM fit/finish if you buy them specifically for your car from them.
They are totally underrated.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Made it to :mahman: shop and saw these pretty biscuits! These almost bald tars still grab beautifully!

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Looks maintained. I really want it, too bad they are so old at this point.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Pretty clean M3 :like:

I love coming here, never know what's on the hoists and prices are reasonable.

max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:22 am Pretty clean M3 :like:

100k hanging off the lift 😭
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:41 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:22 am Pretty clean M3 :like:

100k hanging off the lift 😭
That's insane
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Results from the alignment are in, winter tars installed. Here is my print out. I realize that I must have had an alignment done after the rock incident.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I like these, lots of sidewall. :jimp:
max225

Lookin good!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:41 am Looks maintained. I really want it, too bad they are so old at this point.

You should :doit:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 am I like these, lots of sidewall. :jimp:
:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:42 am Results from the alignment are in, winter tars installed. Here is my print out. I realize that I must have had an alignment done after the rock incident.

:howdareu: get an alignment without a ACC recalibration!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:17 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:42 am Results from the alignment are in, winter tars installed. Here is my print out. I realize that I must have had an alignment done after the rock incident.

:howdareu: get an alignment without a ACC recalibration!
:lolol:

That's a crock of shit. $120 for the alignment to get it back to factory spec; which is what the ACC was calibrated to originally. If it can get knocked out of alignment and still function, then rest assured it will run just fine. Proof in the pudding.

This is a good enough reason to find an indy shop that can do all these things.