max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:58 pm

And have someone lift it out at the closest grocery store? Such UTILITY
Lockable tonneau covers?

:truk: trumps all. It's the pinnacle of human transportation.
Oh yea... TRUK yea. Or you could put it in the back of your golf with the seats folded flat. You have more cargo capacity than a truk anyways.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Lockable tonneau covers?

:truk: trumps all. It's the pinnacle of human transportation.
Oh yea... TRUK yea. Or you could put it in the back of your golf with the seats folded flat. You have more cargo capacity than a truk anyways.
I did that for a while before getting the rack. It's not a great fit. The handlebars are up on the center armrest.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

4Runner
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm

I did that for a while before getting the rack. It's not a great fit. The handlebars are up on the center armrest.
That's how I transported my bikes in my GTI. It worked. Wasn't super ideal. Mountain bikes are muddy and dirty. And heavy. And bulky.
Truck bed works really well though.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 pm

Don't need a roof rack if you throw it in the bed. :truk: :truk: :truk:
Bike in the bed or bike on the roof or bike visible in the back of the hatch makes no difference. If the perp wants it they'll take it via smashing windows or unbolting things or whatever. Truck bed that uses a locking fork mount (where you take the wheel off and put it in the cab, and attach the bike to the mount) is just as secure as a roof rack.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Bike in the bed or bike on the roof or bike visible in the back of the hatch makes no difference. If the perp wants it they'll take it via smashing windows or unbolting things or whatever. Truck bed that uses a locking fork mount (where you take the wheel off and put it in the cab, and attach the bike to the mount) is just as secure as a roof rack.
smashing the windows and then opening doors results in car alarm, a mess, and obvious theft. Simply lifting shit out of a bed is simple AF.

Get that Truk disease out of here. They not good for anything outside of construction/contractor/mulch/sand work.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 pm

smashing the windows and then opening doors results in car alarm, a mess, and obvious theft. Simply lifting shit out of a bed is simple AF.

Get that Truk disease out of here. They not good for anything outside of construction/contractor/mulch/sand work.
Just laying a bike in the bed, yeah that's asking for trouble.
Dplac and [user not found] both have fork mounts that are bolted to the front of the bed. They lock your bike fork onto the bed itself. A thief without an allen key set or a hacksaw is going to steal the rear wheel of the bike at most.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Dplac and [user not found] both have fork mounts that are bolted to the front of the bed. They lock your bike fork onto the bed itself. A thief without an allen key set or a hacksaw is going to steal the rear wheel of the bike at most.
:notsure:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 am
Z's rack, and the one Dplac was using before going full pinshit Afghan was like this:

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 am
:truk: :truk: :truk:
:truk: ..... :triggered: ..... :truk:
:truk: :truk: :truk:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:18 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:33 pm I'm seriously thinking about full paint correction plus clear bra. NFG driving or worrying about messing up the paint.

Maybe I'll try compounding it in the spring before the rack goes back on. And when it does go on I'll definitely be putting clear vinyl down for the feet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That's like 1-2k ? Do you care that much at the end of the day?
Correction alone will be $800-$1200 without a coating. Then if you were to use a film like XPEL Ultimate or another high end film the whole car will likely be another $4k+ installed. Even just the front end is $709. Most installers will install for the same price as the kit price online since they buy the material at a discount.

Here's the XPEL pre-cut film for the car: http://www.xpel.com/paint-protection-ki ... gen/Golf/R

This is why I've never done film other than right in front of the rear wheels on the Z51 where rock chips happen. Ended up not doing it on the Z06 where it is even worse and will just deal with a repaint if needed. Plus, paint under film looks like shit to me, I would rather paint correct and put Cquartz Finest Reserve on it for the better looking finish.
Johnny_P

$4k for vinyl coating :mindblown:

Just repaint the damn bumper if/when the chips get bad enough.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 pm $4k for vinyl coating :mindblown:

Nah not enough scene cred. :gaydance:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I looked into X-Pel, its only 4k if the whole car is covered. A VW dealer will coover the entire front bumper, grill, partial hood and fenders (first 30%), A-pillar, head lights, under door handles, and top shelf of rear bumper for $1100 CAD, which i opted to have done when i bought the .:R. My old VW golf didn't have this coating done and my front bumper and headlights looked entirely pitted, and hood had some serious chips. I do a lot of highway around big rigs doe.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:08 pm I looked into X-Pel, its only 4k if the whole car is covered. A VW dealer will coover the entire front bumper, grill, partial hood and fenders (first 30%), A-pillar, head lights, under door handles, and top shelf of rear bumper for $1100 CAD, which i opted to have done when i bought the .:R. My old VW golf didn't have this coating done and my front bumper and headlights looked entirely pitted, and hood had some serious chips. I do a lot of highway around big rigs doe.
But you pay them to take off the vinyl when you buy the car, now you pay them to put vinyl back on.

:butwhy:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 pm $4k for vinyl coating :mindblown:

Nah not enough scene cred. :gaydance:
The paint meter will register that it's not original. It could lose $1k in value. :doomed:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So xpel is out the window. I honestly don't know what to do about those rack marks. I could try a more aggressive pad with compound but I don't want to mess up the paint.

There's an auto detailer 5 minutes away from me. Maybe I'll drive by one day and see what they say.

max225

Maybe just let it be... winter is coming anyways. Removing clear coat in favor of looks seems silly right now. You need all the clear that is left to get through actual shit weather, cold/snow/ice/salt
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:08 pm I looked into X-Pel, its only 4k if the whole car is covered. A VW dealer will coover the entire front bumper, grill, partial hood and fenders (first 30%), A-pillar, head lights, under door handles, and top shelf of rear bumper for $1100 CAD, which i opted to have done when i bought the .:R. My old VW golf didn't have this coating done and my front bumper and headlights looked entirely pitted, and hood had some serious chips. I do a lot of highway around big rigs doe.
But you pay them to take off the vinyl when you buy the car, now you pay them to put vinyl back on.

:butwhy:
The one that goes back on will keep the paint looking new for many years, and i plan to keep my car for 8-10yrs and paid for it with my own money... and i like when it looks great.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:Maybe just let it be... winter is coming anyways. Removing clear coat in favor of looks seems silly right now. You need all the clear that is left to get through actual shit weather, cold/snow/ice/salt
Yeah I don't think I was going to do anything yet. Just wanted to see if they could fix it. I'll definitely try and get it addressed before the rack goes back on.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

First drive of the GoRf in the snow with the AS3+. Excellent. Traction was great all around. These michelins are way better than the p zero nero that came on the GTI.

I also managed to scratch the back of the hatch with the snow brush. Awesome.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:First drive of the GoRf in the snow with the AS3+. Excellent. Traction was great all around. These michelins are way better than the p zero nero that came on the GTI.

ESC disabled + Race mode and mash the gas all things! These cars are a riot in this weather. MPS3+ sounds pretty decent. :like:

Hopefully the scratch buffs out in the spring. I cant imagine that plastic would get too deep. Still really sucks Image
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:24 pm First drive of the GoRf in the snow with the AS3+. Excellent. Traction was great all around. These michelins are way better than the p zero nero that came on the GTI.

:fuckyeah:

I found an unplowed lane to drive past all the :derp: on my way home, was 5/7.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote:First drive of the GoRf in the snow with the AS3+. Excellent. Traction was great all around. These michelins are way better than the p zero nero that came on the GTI.

ESC disabled + Race mode and mash the gas all things! These cars are a riot in this weather. MPS3+ sounds pretty decent. :like:

Hopefully the scratch buffs out in the spring. I cant imagine that plastic would get too deep. Still really sucks Image
What sucks is it wasn't plastic. Apparently the brush bristles are all attached to a metal piece which slides in and out of the plastic head of the brush. It must've come out a bit while I was pushing all the snow off the car.
Apex wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:24 pm First drive of the GoRf in the snow with the AS3+. Excellent. Traction was great all around. These michelins are way better than the p zero nero that came on the GTI.

I want to find an empty lot for some donuts!

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 pm
Tarspin wrote:ESC disabled + Race mode and mash the gas all things! These cars are a riot in this weather. MPS3+ sounds pretty decent. :like:

What sucks is it wasn't plastic. Apparently the brush bristles are all attached to a metal piece which slides in and out of the plastic head of the brush. It must've come out a bit while I was pushing all the snow off the car.
Apex wrote:

I want to find an empty lot for some donuts!

Yaassss :doughnut: !