Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:48 pm They should have certainly used carbon fiber on the tips, because carbon fiber makes everything better.
http://theismotorsport.com/18302355889- ... shers-tips

\\\W Performance carbon fiber tips direct from the Aryan Gods themselves. $470. For fucking TIPS. Not even mufflers.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:48 pm They should have certainly used carbon fiber on the tips, because carbon fiber makes everything better.
http://theismotorsport.com/18302355889- ... shers-tips

\\\W Performance carbon fiber tips direct from the Aryan Gods themselves. $470. For fucking TIPS. Not even mufflers.
:disgust:

People will pay it though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

So $200 for the res delete kit you say... I've been listening to sound clips but from the comment below my suspicions are justified. Same goes for exhausts, one really can't tell what the car actually sounds like from cell phone posts. Here's a human with some capacity to articulate him/herself about the kit after installation.

"The video doesn't do it any justice & makes it sound completely different. Regardless of which video, the sound reverberates & bounces off the chassis, buildings, pavement, road etc. before it even gets to the microphone. It's a constant while recording, so you never get to hear the true sound. That's why they have sound dubbing in movies.
It needs to be heard in person to be appreciated.
I bought the kit last year & have received quite a few compliments on it from other R & S3 owners. They aren't sure if you have an aftermarket exhaust. It's not intrusive, but they can tell you've done something as it doesn't sound stock.
What it does is give the exhaust a "deeper" sound." -mk7wolfr

http://forums.vwvortex.com/#/topics/7680834?page=3

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I see so many mixed reviews on it but I'd rather spend $150 on the res delete than $1500 on a catback. There's no way just deleting the resonator makes the stock exhaust drone.

I'll do it sometime in the spring.

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:19 am I see so many mixed reviews on it but I'd rather spend $150 on the res delete than $1500 on a catback. There's no way just deleting the resonator makes the stock exhaust drone.

There is no way in hell i'd spend $1500 on some fake tips. However $150 on a res delete may make some sense... however I am sure VW put it there for a reason doe....
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:00 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:19 am I see so many mixed reviews on it but I'd rather spend $150 on the res delete than $1500 on a catback. There's no way just deleting the resonator makes the stock exhaust drone.

There is no way in hell i'd spend $1500 on some fake tips. However $150 on a res delete may make some sense... however I am sure VW put it there for a reason doe....
Guaranteed its on there for a legit reason. Probably the reason is that people hate car noises. OR the car becomes obnoxious without it.

Like all the :flatbrim: s saying that muffler deletes on the STI make it quieter. LOL NO. From the vids I've heard the car becomes a straight embarrassment on a cold start and maybe a bit less boomy at idle inside.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225

You're talking about the pre-muffler right?

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:
You're talking about the pre-muffler right?

:dat: i always thought it was to break up the pipe and eliminate drone. The article says it absorbs/neutralizes some of the engine sound. :notsure: :iono:

I need Greg to do his first and report back :like:
max225

It looks like a primary muffler not exactly a "resonator" however i suppose it is mostly semantics, most cars have two mufflers in a row to reduce drone/noise
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:It looks like a primary muffler not exactly a "resonator" however i suppose it is mostly semantics, most cars have two mufflers in a row to reduce drone/noise
:flatbrim: forum brahs say it sounds decent with the res delete, a bit deeper/throaty :iswydt: and lots of :like: :like: overall.
max225

I am sure it is nothing short of a LS7 rumble after the delete.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:I am sure it is nothing short of a LS7 rumble after the delete.
Thats what they say.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm almost compelled to make a powl on Mk7 and Vortex. Everyone who complains about drone seems to have their flaps coded to be open all the time while the people who like the mod have the flaps set to normal.

It's an official Audi part so I can't imagine there being any drone at all with the flaps in normal mode. But then again, the engineers in germany don't know anything. :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:popcorn:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:12 pm I've gotta look into obdeleven again as a way to disable the valves. I remember reading that it may not work with some 2017's though.

One thing that's annoying is that when you put it in race mode to keep the valves open, the vibrator is cranked up so much you can barely hear the exhaust.

In the end I'll probably just do res delete and drop in filter. CTS Turbo has an even cheaper res delete for $130. I think it sounds fine with just the delete.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... MK7-Golf-R

CTS just steals everyone else's work and makes it their own.

If you're cool with supporting that, go for it - but their business practices are shitty.
Most of their products look like shit anyway but a resonator delete is as simple as it gets. I'll probably buy the official Audi part or the ECS one.

Technically all these companies ripped off the Audi part and made their own for cheaper. ECS, 034, CTS, and others have their own "version" of the resonator delete for S3/GoRf.

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:30 pm I'm almost compelled to make a powl on Mk7 and Vortex. Everyone who complains about drone seems to have their flaps coded to be open all the time while the people who like the mod have the flaps set to normal.

It's an official Audi part so I can't imagine there being any drone at all with the flaps in normal mode. But then again, the engineers in germany don't know anything. :iono:
S3 noises? I'd :doit:
If its a factory part it's not going to be droney. You'll get more noise because hatch vs sedan, but I doubt it would be ear-bleeding.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:35 pm
[user not found] wrote:
CTS just steals everyone else's work and makes it their own.

If you're cool with supporting that, go for it - but their business practices are shitty.
Most of their products look like shit anyway but a resonator delete is as simple as it gets. I'll probably buy the official Audi part or the ECS one.

Technically all these companies ripped off the Audi part and made their own for cheaper. ECS, 034, CTS, and others have their own "version" of the resonator delete for S3/GoRf.

Is just a pipe rite? With flanges and a band clamp? I mean :whocares: who you buy that from.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:09 pm
Is just a pipe rite? With flanges and a band clamp? I mean :whocares: who you buy that from.
It's more about supporting or not supporting bad business practices. :iono:

I'm sure it'll hold up just fine.
APR RSC mid pipe :jimp:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The official Audi ones tend to be closer to $200 which is insane but here it is. Part #8V5-071-904. $130-200 for a pipe and clamp.

The ones from ECS and CTS are $130-170 depending if you get an extra clamp. For some reason the 034 pipe is the same as Audi. :ludacris:

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:39 pm The official Audi ones tend to be closer to $200 which is insane but here it is. Part #8V5-071-904. $130-200 for a pipe and clamp.

The ones from ECS and CTS are $130-170 depending if you get an extra clamp. For some reason the 034 pipe is the same as Audi. :ludacris:

This is about $10 of material and a tack weld.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:14 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:10 pm

It's more about supporting or not supporting bad business practices. :iono:

I'm sure it'll hold up just fine.
APR RSC mid pipe :jimp:
I don't really remember the APR thing exactly. Weren't they lying and saying they were using Corsa RSC mufflers when they were actually packed with some sort of fiberglass? I still remember one comment calling it "powdered wig technology". :lol:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:41 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:39 pm The official Audi ones tend to be closer to $200 which is insane but here it is. Part #8V5-071-904. $130-200 for a pipe and clamp.

:dat:

But I guess I'd rather do this than take it to Joe Shmoe's exhaust shop for cheap. This fits perfectly.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Damn it, all this R and S3 talk....
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:41 pm

:dat:

But I guess I'd rather do this than take it to Joe Shmoe's exhaust shop for cheap. This fits perfectly.
'Ol Joey will custom bend and weld in a pipe for about $40. Not as reversible doe. Up to you if that matters.