Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 pm
SixSpeeder wrote:
Probably not. I ran an Injen on my MK7 for a little, it was loud as fuck.
Did you remove the snow guard from the intake box? I don't know how much of a difference that would make but a lot of people remove that too.

Injen is open filter right? I thought my modshack on the GTI was pretty much perfect. It was sort of semi closed. Wasn't too loud or too quiet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It replaced the whole box so no:

The intake mainly made a difference in noise. I also tried the GayPR intake, it was pretty much as quiet as stock unless the windows were down.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

SixSpeeder wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 pm Did you remove the snow guard from the intake box? I don't know how much of a difference that would make but a lot of people remove that too.

Injen is open filter right? I thought my modshack on the GTI was pretty much perfect. It was sort of semi closed. Wasn't too loud or too quiet.

It replaced the whole box so no:

The intake mainly made a difference in noise. I also tried the GayPR intake, it was pretty much as quiet as stock unless the windows were down.
:derp:

Yeah that's probably crazy loud. GayPR is like $450 + the kit to reroute the coolant hose. I guess their engineers forgot about that when designing the intake.

AFE still looks like a solid option. I'd buy the extra cover to fully close it and it should make some extra noise.

https://goo.gl/images/2MnM33

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm

it also makes you think you're going fast when you're actually not going that fast.
My female passenger the time of the test drive even said ... “car sounds good “ that’s a rare nod from a :derp:
I barely got any compliments from females about the car, other than the fact that it's really clean, those seat warmers, and holy shit that's quick when I did little bursts to avoid a :derp: driver, etc.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm
My female passenger the time of the test drive even said ... “car sounds good “ that’s a rare nod from a :derp:
I barely got any compliments from females about the car, other than the fact that it's really clean, those seat warmers, and holy shit that's quick when I did little bursts to avoid a :derp: driver, etc.
I think that's more of a criticism when you're talking about comments from females :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:58 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 pm Why are intakes still a thing? Hasn't this been proven plenty of times over and over that they don't do shit and cause some kind of NVH or driveability issues?
I was only suggesting it for some added fun noises. That's all they're good for IMO.
:dat:

I don't think they really do anything but sound cool, but sounding cool is worth some Benjamins, IMO.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

So intakes eh? I like intake noises, heck would take any noises. The GoRf sounds like a finely muted stock 1.8T under normal driving conditions and no vibrator. Still happier with it disconnected. That rattling sounded unnatural to me and annoying. I do want to look at aftermarket options for both incoming and outgoing noises. Will like go with a good aftermarket catback with functional valves doe.

We had a rainy drive home. And for the first time this year i could feel the tars skid a bit while stopping. VW has been storing a winter tar pkg for me so I've booked an oil change and wheel swap. I thought it was ongoing but it turns out that I'll be storing my own summer wheels unless i pay the $100 to VW to do so. I kind of prefer taking them anyhow, it give me a chance to properly clean them and CQuartz them for the spring.

I wonder what kind of winters I'll be getting? Hopefully some WS80s but i guess it'll be a surprise. I bought some used goodyears on the mk6 last year and they did a 5/7 job too.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 pm So intakes eh? I like intake noises, heck would take any noises. The GoRf sounds like a finely muted stock 1.8T under normal driving conditions and no vibrator. Still happier with it disconnected. That rattling sounded unnatural to me and annoying. I do want to look at aftermarket options for both incoming and outgoing noises. Will like go with a good aftermarket catback with functional valves doe.

We had a rainy drive home. And for the first time this year i could feel the tars skid a bit while stopping. VW has been storing a winter tar pkg for me so I've booked an oil change and wheel swap. I thought it was ongoing but it turns out that I'll be storing my own summer wheels unless i pay the $100 to VW to do so. I kind of prefer taking them anyhow, it give me a chance to properly clean them and CQuartz them for the spring.

I wonder what kind of winters I'll be getting? Hopefully some WS80s but i guess it'll be a surprise. I bought some used goodyears on the mk6 last year and they did a 5/7 job too.
I :member: the Hoodyear :dill:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:notbad: if they are as good as my mk6's poverty tars last year. I'm looking forward to any wintars + AWD
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Everyones favorite vendor gonna be releasing a valved new catback. No price.. less then AWE. So whatever that costs...Image
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:20 pm Everyones favorite vendor gonna be releasing a valved new catback. No price.. less then AWE. So whatever that costs...Image
So take a single pipe and split it into 2 mufflers and 4 tips...

:butwhy:
:fullretard:
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:23 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:20 pm Everyones favorite vendor gonna be releasing a valved new catback. No price.. less then AWE. So whatever that costs...Image

Bro, it has RSC tech, you wouldn't understand the intricacies
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
max225

They should have certainly used carbon fiber on the tips, because carbon fiber makes everything better.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:23 pm So take a single pipe and split it into 2 mufflers and 4 tips...

Bro, it has RSC tech, you wouldn't understand the intricacies
:dat: .... group buy dealllzzzzz when you purchase this with intake and t00n!! Who's in guise???? :dong:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:

Great, who invited the Scientist?!

:trollface:
max225

IB4 +50HP claims

*with a warranty voiding tune
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:IB4 +50HP claims

*with a warranty voiding tune
They can keep it. I paid a shit load for a 6yr 160k warranty.. i would like to take someone else's violated R out for a spin doe.

I have a feeling that two of those upstream pipes going into the muffler are straight through with cross drilled holes on the inside of the muffler (not sure if that reads back the way i imagined). Valve open, straight piping it, valve closed....? Thats really the selling point on most valved aftermarket catbacks, they need to have a stock sound mode for me to be interested.
max225

All those valves are all great and all if you had an engine that actually made noise. A 2.0L I4 with a turbo and a couple of cats.... like even if you chopped the muffler off it would still sound like next to nothing. I honestly don't get these exhaust mods at all. VW made a couple of fake noise tweaks that's as good as it'll get.

Time to :aintcare:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:All those valves are all great and all if you had an engine that actually made noise. A 2.0L I4 with a turbo and a couple of cats.... like even if you chopped the muffler off it would still sound like next to nothing. I honestly don't get these exhaust mods at all. VW made a couple of fake noise tweaks that's as good as it'll get.

Time to :aintcare:
Yeah maybe you're right. I'll see if I can survive a local vw brofest if i ever get serious about exhaust sounds. TK can lend me a flatbrim hat and I'll dust off my old vape gear. Go in all incognito and complement these guise on their carbon fiber intakes or something. Maybe someone will have the latest valved whatever and take me for a boot in their fat ride. I'd have to hear it in person.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Soundaktor unplug plus muffler delete and cheapo intake, done.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I saw a R with 2" hitch on it at BestBuy tonight.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:Soundaktor unplug plus muffler delete and cheapo intake, done.
I'd have to find someone to could route the valved tube around the suitcase. Want near stock when the valve is closed if that's possible. I might not want to bro out 24/7/365
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote:I saw a R with 2" hitch on it at BestBuy tonight.
Should trade it in for :truk: .
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:24 pm
Apex wrote:I saw a R with 2" hitch on it at BestBuy tonight.
Should trade it in for :truk: .
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I've gotta look into obdeleven again as a way to disable the valves. I remember reading that it may not work with some 2017's though.

One thing that's annoying is that when you put it in race mode to keep the valves open, the vibrator is cranked up so much you can barely hear the exhaust.

In the end I'll probably just do res delete and drop in filter. CTS Turbo has an even cheaper res delete for $130. I think it sounds fine with just the delete.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... MK7-Golf-R

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:Everyones favorite vendor gonna be releasing a valved new catback. No price.. less then AWE. So whatever that costs...Image
AWE is like $2k for the non res valved exhaust but I don't believe APR will be cheaper.

Besides, AWE sounds like shit. I don't know how more people haven't complained about that weird resonance. I had it in my Mk6 and I hear hints of it in their videos for the GoRf.