Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote:Just do a drop-in filter. You won't see much benefit from an intake other than boost whistle noises.
Aren't boost whistle noises the whole point :doe: ?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:23 pm Just do a drop-in filter. You won't see much benefit from an intake other than boost whistle noises.
:fap: :megusta:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 am
[user not found] wrote:Just do a drop-in filter. You won't see much benefit from an intake other than boost whistle noises.
Yes. Moar noises = moar fun. My car sounds like a jet engine about to take off when it hits 3-4k ish RPM.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 am
:dat:

I used to build boost and let off the throttle all the time in the GTI just to hear the BPV through the Uni intake. :gay:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 am Aren't boost whistle noises the whole point :doe: ?
Yes. Moar noises = moar fun. My car sounds like a jet engine about to take off when it hits 3-4k ish RPM.
:dat:

I think my brub tube was a much better mod to make the car more fun than adding moar powah. The best would be moar noise and powah though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I still vote a piece of tube with a cone filter on the end for slightly more expensive than free.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

All the intakes seem to claim about +10hp on stock tune. I don't really believe it. Did they claim the same things on the Mk6? I don't remember.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:11 am All the intakes seem to claim about +10hp on stock tune. I don't really believe it. Did they claim the same things on the Mk6? I don't remember.

Yeah I think they called it "Stage 1+" or something. Like 1.5 flatbrims. Supposedly gave you more power but I imagine some of that has to do with tuning adjustments for the intake. I doubt you'd pick up anything other than noises which could make it 150% worth the cost, really. Dyno results can be adjusted to make something look better than it is. Take the lowest stock run of 3 separate runs, against the highest of 3 separate with the intake, and 2-4 actual HP gain turns into 10. In reality, those results are all within the noise.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 am So I still vote a piece of tube with a cone filter on the end for slightly more expensive than free.
Either do it right or don’t do it at all is my motto.

Slapping a $30 Home Depot express intake on a $40k car is pretty :fullretard:
:butwhy:

It's basically identical to the $400 things and functions exactly the same. I wouldn't throw cheap tires, shocks, brakes, stuff like that at the car, but "intakes" are generally just a plastic tube and a filter.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:54 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Either do it right or don’t do it at all is my motto.

Slapping a $30 Home Depot express intake on a $40k car is pretty :fullretard:
:butwhy:

It's basically identical to the $400 things and functions exactly the same. I wouldn't throw cheap tires, shocks, brakes, stuff like that at the car, but "intakes" are generally just a plastic tube and a filter.
and at the end of the day, you pretty much pay for design and badge, I'm looking at you APR.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Yeah I definitely wouldn't do one of those :plac: specials with the stubby silicone hose and a filter.

Intakes for the Mk7 are interesting. A lot of them seem to reuse the stock bottom intake box, AFE included. The filter and piping is the only thing changed.

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Why are intakes still a thing? Hasn't this been proven plenty of times over and over that they don't do shit and cause some kind of NVH or driveability issues?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 pm Why are intakes still a thing? Hasn't this been proven plenty of times over and over that they don't do shit and cause some kind of NVH or driveability issues?
I was only suggesting it for some added fun noises. That's all they're good for IMO.
max225

The mk7 gti sounded pretty good inside, much better than the wrx. They make good fake noises
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm The mk7 gti sounded pretty good inside, much better than the wrx. They make good fake noises
it also makes you think you're going fast when you're actually not going that fast.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm The mk7 gti sounded pretty good inside, much better than the wrx. They make good fake noises
it also makes you think you're going fast when you're actually not going that fast.
My female passenger the time of the test drive even said ... “car sounds good “ that’s a rare nod from a :derp:
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 pm Why are intakes still a thing? Hasn't this been proven plenty of times over and over that they don't do shit and cause some kind of NVH or driveability issues?
That largely depends on the application, but yeah, most of the time all dat
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
SixSpeeder

You can hear turbro spool with the WRX and the stock intake, there's no bro noises with the MK7 and stock intake :flaccid:

Dat soundaktor though :megusta:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I don't know if the there would be enough turbro noises with just a panel filter.

I'll link to pics when I get home but the intakes for the Mk7 aren't as straightforward as they were for the Mk6 due to that huge duct at the top of the grille.

max225

Price of Touring trim approaches European rivals’, new turbo four achieved no better real world highway fuel economy than the previous V-6.
:fullretard:

:thanksobama:
max225

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:55 pm
You can hear turbro spool with the WRX and the stock intake, there's no bro noises with the MK7 and stock intake :flaccid:

I couldn't hear much on the WRX. It was a pretty quiet engine, with a pretty noisy cabin.
SixSpeeder

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I couldn't hear much on the WRX. It was a pretty quiet engine, with a pretty noisy cabin.
Really? It was the loudest turbro that I've owned with a stock airbox. The whistle was audible during acceleration with the windows up, as it should be :dong:
SixSpeeder

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm I don't know if the there would be enough turbro noises with just a panel filter.

I'll link to pics when I get home but the intakes for the Mk7 aren't as straightforward as they were for the Mk6 due to that huge duct at the top of the grille.

Probably not. I ran an Injen on my MK7 for a little, it was loud as fuck.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm I don't know if the there would be enough turbro noises with just a panel filter.

Probably not. I ran an Injen on my MK7 for a little, it was loud as fuck.
Did you remove the snow guard from the intake box? I don't know how much of a difference that would make but a lot of people remove that too.

Injen is open filter right? I thought my modshack on the GTI was pretty much perfect. It was sort of semi closed. Wasn't too loud or too quiet.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I liked the Uni intake on my :turboyaris:. :iono: Seemed to improve throttle response and provide a little more power above 3k. Plus the turbro noises? 5/7 would buy again.