Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

stripethree wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 pm You've got me looking at exhaust videos again. Damn it.
Man, not tryin' to hate because the Golf R is a damn nice car, but I have never been a fan of the sound on the Mk6 or Mk7. I was hoping the Borla would be nice since I had one for a while on my Mk4, but I just can't get into it. I think I'm just hooked on that VR6 noise. Resonator delete sounds okay. I didn't watch the whole 12 minute (first) video, but I assume there's a much more complex flapper/valve setup in the Mk7, yeah?

Are there any exhausts that make it sound a bit deeper? I know that's a challenge on a 2.0L 4 banger... Also each one of the options lacks any real character on startup. It doesn't have to be stupid loud for that.
Yeah that's the missing piece of the puzzle, it's too bad there isn't more engine noise.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:07 pm

7 speed DSG's has been used in mk6 era Polo GTI, regular Golf's from Europe from mk6 or mk7 era. Pretty much a standard auto trans for ROW VW cars. Don't think I hear much issues from them. One of my relatives overseas drive a mk5 Jetta tdi with that trans I believe and a friend with a tiguan 2.0 TDI with that as well, never heard issues. The Tiguan friend know I like cars, so she'd tell me if there were any issues.
But I thought the 6 speed could handle stupid amounts of power whereas the 7 had some kind of torque limit that was pretty low (250lb ft) or something like that
I can't really speak for the torque limit of that trans, cause that was just news to me. But I do know the Polo GTI's (mk6) is a wet clutch 7 speed dsg, which the mk6 GTI did not have for it's DSG IIRC. Can't really speak

The mk7 R however, switched to 7 speed overseas (probably specially made), GTI still staying with 6 speed even on ROW

Google chrome translates
R
https://binekarac.vw.com.tr/yeni-golf-r.aspx#teknik

GTI (soo jealous of what Germans get with it)
https://www.volkswagen.de/app/konfigura ... age=engine

Speaking of VW, that new Polo :jizz: I hear it's the mk4 size
https://binekarac.vw.com.tr/yeni-polo.aspx
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:59 pm
stripethree wrote: Man, not tryin' to hate because the Golf R is a damn nice car, but I have never been a fan of the sound on the Mk6 or Mk7. I was hoping the Borla would be nice since I had one for a while on my Mk4, but I just can't get into it. I think I'm just hooked on that VR6 noise. Resonator delete sounds okay. I didn't watch the whole 12 minute (first) video, but I assume there's a much more complex flapper/valve setup in the Mk7, yeah?

Are there any exhausts that make it sound a bit deeper? I know that's a challenge on a 2.0L 4 banger... Also each one of the options lacks any real character on startup. It doesn't have to be stupid loud for that.
Yeah that's the missing piece of the puzzle, it's too bad there isn't more engine noise.
Magnaflow is also another affordable option that's valved. I can't seem to find sound clips :doe:. The only decent one on youtubez is a custom magnaflow.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea GTI looks like it has 6. What exactly do they get on their GTI's that we don't ?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarz have arrived at costco and I made my appointment for sunday. Still waiting on the lug boltz...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 pm Yea GTI looks like it has 6. What exactly do they get on their GTI's that we don't ?
Soooo many colors, most of them cost more.
https://www.volkswagen.de/app/konfigura ... e=exterior

More wheel options, including some 19"s, even Pretoria as over 1,000 Euro optional

Suede seats, and so on.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 pm Yea GTI looks like it has 6. What exactly do they get on their GTI's that we don't ?

More wheel options, including some 19"s, even Pretoria as over 1,000 Euro optional

Suede seats, and so on.
Those “Velour” seats are neat, I periodically check the German confirgurator and those seem like they are newish options. It’s like 40k euro for a fully loaded gti... :nope:
I’ll take my 30k us se after discounts here instead
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:58 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 am

Suede seats, and so on.
Those “Velour” seats are neat, I periodically check the German confirgurator and those seem like they are newish options. It’s like 40k euro for a fully loaded gti... :nope:
I’ll take my 30k us se after discounts here instead
I'd probably rather get Megane 265 instead, or the Peugeot 208 GTI if I live there. More fun cars imo. Or if I visit Turkey by car every summer, I'd take the GTI or FoST plunge with the roof storage :lol:
max225

Megane is better dynamically but the interior is a joke ... compared to a gti
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:08 am Megane is better dynamically but the interior is a joke ... compared to a gti
while the GTI is nicer and dash controls are pretty much where you expect them to be, I don't mind the interior (it is falling apart anyway), then again, I borrow a 2004 Megane when I drive around Istanbul/surrounding areas. Spend plenty of time in here, the cupholder placement is where I get :rage: d, almost spilt my starbucks when I shifted to 3rd when I recently started driving it at the time.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

How's the car been treating you so far Gberg??
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 pm How's the car been treating you so far Gberg??
Still like it thankfully and I really don't have too many issues with it. Mechanically it's been fine as it should be with only 5600 miles. My only complaint is really the clutch and it's inconsistency. A louder exhaust would be nice too.

Compared to the Mk6, the 7 is significantly stiffer as I've felt no need for any sort of chassis brace. The shifter also feels much better than a stock Mk6. It's loosened up a little since I've put miles on it but it's definitely nicer. It feels almost the same as my Mk6 which had a short shifter and dogbone insert.

Overall I can't see myself going too crazy with this one as I don't think it needs much. Maybe just an exhaust or resonator delete and a drop in filter. It could definitely benefit from a rear sway but I'll pass on that and I'm not spending almost $1k for tail lights that require running a separate harness all through the hatch just to get working right. Tintz will probably be in a few weeks once windows down weather is gone.

TL:DR - It's an egg. But even better.
max225

1k Tail lights... :disgust: keep it stock breh... Jewro modz aren't always the right idea. Tintz should help doe. They protect the interior also.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:23 pm 1k Tail lights... :disgust: keep it stock breh... Jewro modz aren't always the right idea. Tintz should help doe. They protect the interior also.
As much as I want those tails, i still don't think it's really worth the money, it's still an egg at end of the day.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The new refresh tails look great but the cost and process just to get the amber turn signals is ridiculous.

The stock Mk7 tails aren't so bad although maybe I'd swap them with the US spec LED's when they're available but I suspect they'll be ugly.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 pm How's the car been treating you so far Gberg??
Still like it thankfully and I really don't have too many issues with it. Mechanically it's been fine as it should be with only 5600 miles. My only complaint is really the clutch and it's inconsistency. A louder exhaust would be nice too.

Compared to the Mk6, the 7 is significantly stiffer as I've felt no need for any sort of chassis brace. The shifter also feels much better than a stock Mk6. It's loosened up a little since I've put miles on it but it's definitely nicer. It feels almost the same as my Mk6 which had a short shifter and dogbone insert.

Overall I can't see myself going too crazy with this one as I don't think it needs much. Maybe just an exhaust or resonator delete and a drop in filter. It could definitely benefit from a rear sway but I'll pass on that and I'm not spending almost $1k for tail lights that require running a separate harness all through the hatch just to get working right. Tintz will probably be in a few weeks once windows down weather is gone.

:bruh:

https://shopdap.com/catalog/product/vie ... ory/15182/

They're only $700. How could you not get LED tails?

:trollface:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Did you unplug the rattler in the dashboard or nah?
I dunno if I'd do exhaust. I don't think the VAG 2.0T sounds particularly good with loud pipes on the back. Maybe an intake for more lolz sounds. The intake tube on my GTI sounded pretty good IMO :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:17 pm Still like it thankfully and I really don't have too many issues with it. Mechanically it's been fine as it should be with only 5600 miles. My only complaint is really the clutch and it's inconsistency. A louder exhaust would be nice too.

:bruh:

https://shopdap.com/catalog/product/vie ... ory/15182/

They're only $700. How could you not get LED tails?

:trollface:
Such a deal! R's come with tinted tails though. Facelifts are $944. Then I gotta get someone to code it or buy a vagcom myself. No way am I spending that on lights.

https://shopdap.com/make-model-year/vol ... ights.html

https://shopdap.com/mk7-5-facelift-led- ... rness.html
Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:17 pm Still like it thankfully and I really don't have too many issues with it. Mechanically it's been fine as it should be with only 5600 miles. My only complaint is really the clutch and it's inconsistency. A louder exhaust would be nice too.

Did you unplug the rattler in the dashboard or nah?
I dunno if I'd do exhaust. I don't think the VAG 2.0T sounds particularly good with loud pipes on the back. Maybe an intake for more lolz sounds. The intake tube on my GTI sounded pretty good IMO :iono:
Rattler is still plugged in. I kinda like how it sounds but if I got an exhaust I'd disable it. I thought the turboback on my GTI sounded pretty good although I'm not messing with downpipes on the R.

AFE makes a decent closed box intake for $350 that I was thinking about. It's the cheapest closed intake that's not carbon fiber so that's why it's so cheap. For some reason all the tunerz have to go with CF to charge 5-600+ for a fucking intake.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225

Don’t waste your money on noisemakers ... it’s a 2.slow I4 for gods sakes
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:Don’t waste your money on noisemakers ... it’s a 2.slow I4 for gods sakes
But can't I take Veyrons from a roll?

An intake or a drop in filter shouldn't be too bad.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I just made an intake for my GTI for like $40 and it sounded sweet.

I always wanted an exhaust but never found one I loved on that car.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Oiled or dry on the filter? I don't think it matters anymore as the gen 3 EA888 doesn't have a MAF sensor. I'll probably go with one of the AFE filters at 10k.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Here are the LED tails coming to the US and Canada on the 2018's.

I assume these would be plug n play with no additional wiring harnesses.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote:I just made an intake for my GTI for like $40 and it sounded sweet.

I always wanted an exhaust but never found one I loved on that car.

It's truly not a big difference with just carback alone, unless you go for :waxer: ones. But with downpipe however, thats another story...But you get ass raped for failing emmision inspection, especially in my area, it's a pain in the ass to actually try to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote:Just do a drop-in filter. You won't see much benefit from an intake other than boost whistle noises.
Aren't boost whistle noises the whole point :doe: ?