Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:52 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Verdict: Forum fap fests favor flexy sidewalls.
dat alliteration :amazing:
I do it for you :wap: :wub:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:49 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:42 am I never was a TCL guy.

VWvortex has really gone to the shitter. Used to be good info, organised threads, etc but the people that run it dont know how to make a fucking backup and people got tired of posting the same shit
I scan it for photos and car news since all the car news sites went down the drain and TCL is more reliable thanks to a few choice posters posting up release info in one place.

But yeah, Vortex is :poop: anyway. Load times have gotten really bad lately too.
I don't even visit autoblog anymore.
TTAC is alright. They're becoming more and more like Jalopnik though.
Jalopnik I think is getting a bit better. Tavarish doesn't post his stupid banter anymore about how a 20 year old used BMW is a better buy than a new Accord, or how engine-out maintenance and full interior swaps are an easy weekend project for anyone with a screwdriver. So that's progress.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:01 am
wap wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:52 pm

dat alliteration :amazing:
I do it for you :wap: :wub:
:fuckyeah: :wub:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I get most of my car news, other than the magazines I subscribe to, from here thank to you guys posting links from other sites :lol:

And as a subscriber I get emails from C&D.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Boner is growing for a dyno tune again...

Where the F are my fog lights? I thought I asked Harry to overnight those from Japan?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 pm Boner is growing for a dyno tune again...

Where the F are my fog lights? I thought I asked Harry to overnight those from Japan?
Dom's tab must be full.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 pm Boner is growing for a dyno tune again...

Dom's tab must be full.
I forgot to tell them I wanted 2 of the big bottles :sad: I'll probably lose at Race Wars.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Dom's tab must be full.
I forgot to tell them I wanted 2 of the big bottles :sad: I'll probably lose at Race Wars.
Fuck man. :rage: :disappoint:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote:Boner is growing for a dyno tune again...

Don't forget the AOS and downpipe. :fuckyeah:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Boner is growing for a dyno tune again...

Don't forget the AOS and downpipe. :fuckyeah:

Big question is which intercooler is best

Naww. Tune and maybe a turbo back exhaust and that's it.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:04 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 pm Don't forget the AOS and downpipe. :fuckyeah:

YTHO
Apex

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:20 pm

YTHO
Dat dangerous factory toon breh.
Johnny_P

YTHO
To make the throttle response more reasonable.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:17 pm

YTHO
And the obvious reason.

MOAR POWER.

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:17 pm

And the obvious reason.

MOAR POWER.
I don't think it needs more power. Maybe a more precise fuel regulator and boost control. Punch it at 4k in Sport# and it surges forward then kind of backs off for a second then continues pulling hard. Like its overboosting and has to reign itself back in. Only had that happen a few times overall and don't think it's a huge deal. Idle control is also not totally ideal, it'll dip to like 700 RPM before it catches itself, surge to 1k, then ease back down to 700-800. Just feels like a cheaper control scheme.

Nah the reason I'd get a tune is to tame the throttle. It's unnecessarily touchy at initial tip in. Once moving along it's totally fine though. If you're doing a dyno tune though, you may as well go Stage 2 IMO with the exhaust system.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:42 pm I don't think it needs more power. Maybe a more precise fuel regulator and boost control. Punch it at 4k in Sport# and it surges forward then kind of backs off for a second then continues pulling hard. Like its overboosting and has to reign itself back in. Only had that happen a few times overall and don't think it's a huge deal. Idle control is also not totally ideal, it'll dip to like 700 RPM before it catches itself, surge to 1k, then ease back down to 700-800. Just feels like a cheaper control scheme.

Nah the reason I'd get a tune is to tame the throttle. It's unnecessarily touchy at initial tip in. Once moving along it's totally fine though. If you're doing a dyno tune though, you may as well go Stage 2 IMO with the exhaust system.
Need? No. But the chassis definitely feels like it'd be perfectly happy with another 50hp. Plus, I really just wanted to make a Tim Taylor reference.

Agree with everything you said, the factory tune is far from perfect, but not because it's too slow. You'll probably want a EBCS and the Cobb fuel pressure regulator kit since those supposedly help make things run a bit more smoothly if you do decide to tune the thing.

:doit:, be the guinea pig.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:47 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:42 pm I don't think it needs more power. Maybe a more precise fuel regulator and boost control. Punch it at 4k in Sport# and it surges forward then kind of backs off for a second then continues pulling hard. Like its overboosting and has to reign itself back in. Only had that happen a few times overall and don't think it's a huge deal. Idle control is also not totally ideal, it'll dip to like 700 RPM before it catches itself, surge to 1k, then ease back down to 700-800. Just feels like a cheaper control scheme.

Need? No. But the chassis definitely feels like it'd be perfectly happy with another 50hp. Plus, I really just wanted to make a Tim Taylor reference.

Agree with everything you said, the factory tune is far from perfect, but not because it's too slow. You'll probably want a EBCS and the Cobb fuel pressure regulator kit since those supposedly help make things run a bit more smoothly if you do decide to tune the thing.

Yeah most dyno tuning places require you have a Cobb accessport and some kind of upgraded and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. IDK about the boost control solenoid. All in to go stage 2 would be over $2k though. That's a lot of :troywax: to adjust gas pedal sensitivity, and is 100% money thrown out the window. It'll also reduce resale value because clearly the owner was a vaping flatbrimmer.

Eh. The other thought is deal with this until I'm tired of the throttle and all, and go the S5/335i or whatever automatic sledgehammer route. Probably tune it. Enjoy driving a quiet comfy cruise missile through South Philly povertyland.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:56 pm Yeah most dyno tuning places require you have a Cobb accessport and some kind of upgraded and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. IDK about the boost control solenoid. All in to go stage 2 would be over $2k though. That's a lot of :troywax: to adjust gas pedal sensitivity, and is 100% money thrown out the window. It'll also reduce resale value because clearly the owner was a vaping flatbrimmer.

Eh. The other thought is deal with this until I'm tired of the throttle and all, and go the S5/335i or whatever automatic sledgehammer route. Probably tune it. Enjoy driving a quiet comfy cruise missile through South Philly povertyland.
Yeah dude, it starts to add up fast.

AP - $650
FPR - $275
EBCS - $115
Downpipe - $500 (+/-)
Dyno tune - $500 (?)

So yeah, there's a quick 2 grand just for drivability issues? Hardly seems worth that unless you really are after some extra power. I'll probably do it if I decide to buy out the lease in a couple years, but it's staying stock until then. I really don't know that doing just some minor mods like that impacts resale value. From the listings I've seen, it just seems mods don't add a dime in value to the car. If the car is bone stock would have been worth $32k and it's got a full E85 build and all that crap, it's still worth $32k. I think I'd get $2k of enjoyment out of a basic downpipe & tune setup, but not doing that if there's even a remote chance I won't be keeping the car.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:47 pm Need? No. But the chassis definitely feels like it'd be perfectly happy with another 50hp. Plus, I really just wanted to make a Tim Taylor reference.

Yeah most dyno tuning places require you have a Cobb accessport and some kind of upgraded and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. IDK about the boost control solenoid. All in to go stage 2 would be over $2k though. That's a lot of :troywax: to adjust gas pedal sensitivity, and is 100% money thrown out the window. It'll also reduce resale value because clearly the owner was a vaping flatbrimmer.

Ahhh for the good old days when all you needed was a $75 tactrix cable, an old laptop, and a buddy who tunes.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Other option I guess is just just do an off the shelf tune. Cobb, MAPerformance, maybe there are others. Or do an e-tune, that should cost less, I'd think. Probably wouldn't need any hardware changes at all for that, and you shouldn't lose too much on the AP when you decide to sell it.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:21 pm Other option I guess is just just do an off the shelf tune. Cobb, MAPerformance, maybe there are others. Or do an e-tune, that should cost less, I'd think. Probably wouldn't need any hardware changes at all for that, and you shouldn't lose too much on the AP when you decide to sell it.
I don't have patience for etunes and these motors don't seem to like canned tunes. I'd dyno tune it. Could just skip the stage 2 altogether I guess, but if you decide to add it later you're re-tuning on the dyno. Better to get it all in one shot.
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Ahhh for the good old days when all you needed was a $75 tactrix cable, an old laptop, and a buddy who tunes.

I'd gladly pay someone $75 to only adjust the throttle.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm Ahhh for the good old days when all you needed was a $75 tactrix cable, an old laptop, and a buddy who tunes.

I'd gladly pay someone $75 to only adjust the throttle.
If that were still possible I’d have a guy for you.

:therapist:
Johnny_P

My fog lights arrived from Japan last night. :fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote:My fog lights arrived from Japan last night. :fuckyeah: