Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am These winter tires are fucking awful. Don't buy Michelin Xi3's. They're marshmallows with no grip. You're better off buying Goodyear Turanzas or some other not-very-respectable all season touring tire made for Toyota Avalons.
No grip in snow or elsewhere ?!
Snow and ice are good. Dry traction is fucking terrible. I’ve never driven on a tire with such little dry traction.

PA4s are way too much money and the order was already placed by the time I was directed to buy them so what’s done there is done. I might try and sell these. Massive fucking wallet rape to do that though. Once again Tire Rack reviews prove to be total shit.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am These winter tires are fucking awful. Don't buy Michelin Xi3's. They're marshmallows with no grip. You're better off buying Goodyear Turanzas or some other not-very-respectable all season touring tire made for Toyota Avalons.
Just sell them to some flatbrimmer looking for winter tahrz and order a different set.
Might sell them next winter even if I keep the car. This is horrible.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:01 pm No grip in snow or elsewhere ?!
Snow and ice are good. Dry traction is fucking terrible. I’ve never driven on a tire with such little dry traction.

PA4s are way too much money and the order was already placed by the time I was directed to buy them so what’s done there is done. I might try and sell these. Massive fucking wallet rape to do that though. Once again Tire Rack reviews prove to be total shit.
Buys $40k car, whines about an extra $200 on good tires.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Buys $40k car, whines about an extra $200 on good tires.
I thought I was getting good tires. They’re rated highly on Tire Rack and on forums. They’re Michelin’s not Generals.

They’re going in the trash or crangslist or whatever next winter.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:01 pm

No grip in snow or elsewhere ?!

I haven't trusted them or anyone else on that matter on tires. Everyone always replaces old worn out OEMs and then claims they were total SHIT.

The best thing to do is to stick to a nice brand and go from there.

Sorry to hear michelins are usually really good.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02 pm

I haven't trusted them or anyone else on that matter on tires. Everyone always replaces old worn out OEMs and then claims they were total SHIT.

That’s why I picked these. But they suffer the same forum fap fest group think problem the Conti DWS tires do. Those tires fucking blow too but people jizz over them. Figured I couldn’t go wrong with Michelin. Figured wrong.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:10 pm

That’s why I picked these. But they suffer the same forum fap fest group think problem the Conti DWS tires do. Those tires fucking blow too but people jizz over them. Figured I couldn’t go wrong with Michelin. Figured wrong.
Verdict: Forum fap fests favor flexy sidewalls.
max225

I didn't hate DWS they were, "soft" compared to actual performance tires, but aside from that mediocre.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Verdict: Forum fap fests favor flexy sidewalls.
That, and, apparently they favor no traction
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Wait for the next $70 off Costco sale. My AS3+ were about 600 installed. I like them so far.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm Wait for the next $70 off Costco sale. My AS3+ were about 600 installed. I like them so far.

It was around now... but it still ends up pricy... $600 is cheap :notsure: that's $150 a tire and they charge tax+install which is around $25... that means you got no seasons michelins for $125 a pop from them ? :notsure:
Last edited by max225 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
Apex wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm Verdict: Forum fap fests favor flexy sidewalls.
You bought the best studless snow/ice tires. That's the compromise required to achieve that... they aren't made for dry or warm conditions. This is your own fault for buying the wrong tool.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
You bought the best studless snow/ice tires. That's the compromise required to achieve that... they aren't made for dry or warm conditions. This is your own fault for buying the wrong tool.
I kind of agree with :mahtroy: on this... buying snow tires and bitching about traction in good weather seems a bit :fullretard: they are not meant for that.
Sounds like you would be better off with no seasons...
Is your guy's weather THAT bad? I mean A/S out here go through most snow conditions especially with AWD.

Snow tires are for Сибирь, Canuckistan and Alaska.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm Wait for the next $70 off Costco sale. My AS3+ were about 600 installed. I like them so far.

It was around now... but it still ends up pricy... $600 is cheap :notsure: that's $150 a tire and they charge tax+install which is around $25... that means you got no seasons michelins for $125 a pop from them ? :notsure:
Just checked my statement. They were $646.32 installed. Costco was also doing penny installs so 4 cents for mount/balance.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:46 pm
max225 wrote:
Just checked my statement. They were $646.32 installed. Costco was also doing penny installs so 4 cents for mount/balance.

Dat double promo. Now the :math: checks out. Great deal!
max225

:member: when they used to do it for a $1 :thanksobama:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I never said it wasn't my fault? I bought what I thought was the right tool for the job. Winter tires for winter conditions. I should have bought all season tires with actual dry traction as that's what I drive on through 99% of the winter. Once again I followed forumbreh fap fests and tirerack reviews and was led down the wrong path.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:46 pm
max225 wrote:

:notbad:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:34 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm You bought the best studless snow/ice tires. That's the compromise required to achieve that... they aren't made for dry or warm conditions. This is your own fault for buying the wrong tool.
I kind of agree with :mahtroy: on this... buying snow tires and bitching about traction in good weather seems a bit :fullretard: they are not meant for that.
Sounds like you would be better off with no seasons...
Is your guy's weather THAT bad? I mean A/S out here go through most snow conditions especially with AWD.

Snow tires are for Сибирь, Canuckistan and Alaska.
I posted that the winter tires were a mistake after having them for 2 weeks, :member: ? Then I was met with an onslaught of promo videos and angry posts claiming that all seasons would have made me run over small children uncontrollably at the first sight of a snow flake or ice. Problem is I bought into the whole forum groupthink of winter tires are mandatory for winter use, and if I'm buying a second set of wheels anyway may as well get winters.

I'm bitching about traction because you take a turn at any speed and it's met with understeer and sliding. I've never had a tire this bad for normal driving conditions.

I should have purchased good all season tires. There's zero need for winter tires in the Philly region, especially considering how bad winter tires are when temps get over 40F. Philly only dips below 40 for like 2 months total out of the year. I drive on snow/ice conditions MAYBE 4 times a winter. Buying winter tires is not at all necessary for that. The reality is all seasons cope with a much larger temperature range and are more useful in varying conditions while still having some ability to drive safely on snow.
max225

Wow so you drive through snow and ice less than me, and it doesn't snow here... :mindblown:

I think no seasons would make lots of sense... unless there is a major issue... ie blizzard at which point you'd need studs...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

They're :poop:. Mine are at least on 18s instead of 17s so there's less sidewall to roll over, but I have no confidence in these pieces of hot garbage in the corners. I'm sure they'll be amazeballs in the snow, but for most conditions they suck. At least a got a good :dill: on the whole setup since they were used, but I'd much rather roll on a set of sporty all-seasons.

p.s. - the DWS06 is MUCH better than the original. Still not quite as sharp as some others in its category, but the redesign closed the gap quite a bit and it's still just as capable in the winter.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 pm Wow so you drive through snow and ice less than me, and it snows less here... :mindblown:
City is a solid 10 degrees warmer than the burbs. i.e. we get rain not snow. We get maybe 4 storms a year that produce actual snow and ice on the ground. Sometimes those storms are pretty epic, with 3' or more of snow. Roads end up being clear by noon the next day though.

My GTI on 3 year / 30k old DWS tires was dangerous in those conditions. But I made it home without dying because I'm not a retard and know how to drive on snow and ice. My STI was awesome in the snow last year but really nobody is performance driving on snow and slush especially around here. And if you try that shit, and brake hard and all like a moron you're going to get rear ended by Guadelupe with her bald all seasons in her minivan. Denver, Washington, Canada, upstate NY, Maine, etc yeah you need winter tires because it's fucking cold there.

But forums. I get constantly lambasted on every car forum for saying all seasons are fine for winter use, especially after having owned both all season and winter tires. I just state that it really depends on your climate. And I get fucking roasted.

Oh well live and learn I guess.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:12 pm
They're :poop:. Mine are at least on 18s instead of 17s so there's less sidewall to roll over, but I have no confidence in these pieces of hot garbage in the corners. I'm sure they'll be amazeballs in the snow, but for most conditions they suck. At least a got a good :dill: on the whole setup since they were used, but I'd much rather roll on a set of sporty all-seasons.

p.s. - the DWS06 is MUCH better than the original. Still not quite as sharp as some others in its category, but the redesign closed the gap quite a bit and it's still just as capable in the winter.
Good to know they worked on it a bit.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 pm Wow so you drive through snow and ice less than me, and it snows less here... :mindblown:
City is a solid 10 degrees warmer than the burbs. i.e. we get rain not snow. We get maybe 4 storms a year that produce actual snow and ice on the ground. Sometimes those storms are pretty epic, with 3' or more of snow. Roads end up being clear by noon the next day though.

My GTI on 3 year / 30k old DWS tires was dangerous in those conditions. But I made it home without dying because I'm not a retard and know how to drive on snow and ice. My STI was awesome in the snow last year but really nobody is performance driving on snow and slush especially around here. And if you try that shit, and brake hard and all like a moron you're going to get rear ended by Guadelupe with her bald all seasons in her minivan. Denver, Washington, Canada, upstate NY, Maine, etc yeah you need winter tires because it's fucking cold there.

But forums. I get constantly lambasted on every car forum for saying all seasons are fine for winter use, especially after having owned both all season and winter tires. I just state that it really depends on your climate. And I get fucking roasted.

Oh well live and learn I guess.
You still haven't learned. What you want is a "Performance Winter" tire - NOT a studless ice/snow tire and NOT an all-season tire. Start here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/pe ... p?perf=PPW
Johnny_P

I think I'll troll forums after the winter for a used set of wheels and tires. Then post mine for sale come October / November. Could just buy tires but I think it might be easier to offload as a set.