The Official 4zilch Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

A spirited chase of a local mustang. This guy likes to flex on the socials about how fast he is. Gaps everyone, chases down motorcycles, etc.

This is the last 2-2.5 miles of the Dragon, unfortunately we kept catching traffic, but when the last car pulled off, it was on.

disclaimer: speedometer in KPH, footage sped up 1.5x

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:07 am A spirited chase of a local mustang. This guy likes to flex on the socials about how fast he is. Gaps everyone, chases down motorcycles, etc.

This is the last 2-2.5 miles of the Dragon, unfortunately we kept catching traffic, but when the last car pulled off, it was on.

:megusta:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:07 am A spirited chase of a local mustang. This guy likes to flex on the socials about how fast he is. Gaps everyone, chases down motorcycles, etc.

:megusta:
:dat:
T'was entertaining. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny Danger.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:35 pm

Johnny Danger.
Straight to jail at those speeds
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I hate to admit this... but watching this sort of video from a motorbike is far more entertaining than a car. Such :stig: very :lean: :doge:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:24 pm I hate to admit this... but watching this sort of video from a motorbike is far more entertaining than a car. Such :stig: very :lean: :doge:
The tail on a bike is WHOLE different perspective. 10/10.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex

Melon wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:24 pm I hate to admit this... but watching this sort of video from a motorbike is far more entertaining than a car. Such :stig: very :lean: :doge:
I mean, your face being 3 inches off the ground makes a difference. :lol:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Apex wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:13 pm

I mean, your face being 3 inches off the ground makes a difference. :lol:
You flatter me 'pex, Marc Marquez I am not.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I will never know and I'm OK with that. I imagine it is quite an experience though, and 5/7 fun. I will be sticking with only self powered two wheel things.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:39 pm

I will never know and I'm OK with that. I imagine it is quite an experience though, and 5/7 fun. I will be sticking with only self powered two wheel things.
I’ll let you ride nuts to butts if you want a 3.5/7 experience
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:39 pm

I would be down :hue:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:51 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Bring your helmet
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Bring your helmet
:mahman:

I assume an automotive rated helmet is basically as safe as a motorbike one?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:35 am
4zilch wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am

Bring your helmet

I assume an automotive rated helmet is basically as safe as a motorbike one?
Yeah, it'll work well enough. With any luck, we wont find out how well.
Apex

We need pics of Griff in Sno’s leathers. :lol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:02 pm We need pics of Griff in Sno’s leathers. :lol:
:jimp: :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:02 pm We need pics of Griff in Sno’s leathers. :lol:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

A low key ride from a couple weeks ago. I like the angle, but unfortunately I’m constantly running into the camera with my chest while trying to maneuver on the bike, so it probably won’t be a keeper.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

A great weekend at Barber on the 890. Perfect weather in the 70’s and mostly sunny.

The first time I’ve had it on the track, and it’s every bit as confidence inspiration there as it is on the street. I ran intermediate, but I bumped to Advanced on Sunday.

Most of the weekend was uneventful aside from a heavy crash in T1 in the advanced group where an over ambitious rider tried to pass about 5 bikes and unfortunately resulted with a collision with another rider sending him away in an ambulance with a broken leg. The bonehead move likely earned him a ban from all future STT events. There were also 2 oil downs (one from a crash and another for a blown engine), but given the staff and equipment available at Barber, both were cleaned up quickly with minimal loss of track time.

I had my first encounter with a Panigale V4r, and the only thing I can say is that it’s an absolute rocket ship. Entry and corner speed between myself and the rider were pretty similar, but my god I’ve never seen a bike exit a corner as quickly and with as much composure as that bike did. An absolute weapon.

A note about tires: A $200 learning experience, WITH PICTURES!

A quick lesson on tearing:
Hot tear is usually caused by under inflation for track and ambient temperature. The tire overheats and pitches off the rubber due to centrifugal force

Cold tear is usually caused by overinflation where you end up with a small contact patch that doesn’t allow the heat being generate to be dissipated into the tire carcass and tread. The result is deep tearing where the outer surface overheats, but when lifting back the folds of the tears, virgin rubber is found.

I was running Michelin’s Cup 2’s 180/55 (DOT track tires). Running warmers Michelin recommends 24-25psi (24.65 to be precise). By the second session I was running into what I was identifying as cold tear.

The normal solution for cold tear is to drop pressure ~3psi and go out for a session and treat the tires gently to heal them, which I did. And as Ive implied, it didn’t fix anything.

What I’ve determined is that hot tear on a dual compound tire can look a lot like cold tear. Note the red section highlighting proper wear on the harder section of compound which indicates it’s operating within the correct temp range. If it had been a true cold tear due to over inflation, the harder section would’ve likely shown no wear at all, and the softer section still showing something similar.

So I swung the other way with pressure, 26 (waste of time), then 28 (Some improvement), and ultimately landed on 30 to finally clean up the tear. Unfortunately by this point I had very little rubber left on the right side of the tire it was done (but the last session on it was a blast with lots of wiggling and sliding).

After finishing off that tire, I switched to a 190/55 (they were out of 180s). Inflated to, what I now knew to be safe, 30psi off the warmer. Now with no tearing, and I probably could have dropped a pound or 2 without issues, but I wasn’t having grip issues so I left it alone.

Moral of the story, if you’re running Cup 2’s on something other than 600 on a moderately warm/sunny day, you’re probably going to need more than the recommended pressure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

And a video
Apex

Yassss!!! Zilch motorbike video season!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Bad Ass^^^^^^
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Video is way cool..... :impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 pm Image

A great weekend at Barber on the 890. Perfect weather in the 70’s and mostly sunny.

The first time I’ve had it on the track, and it’s every bit as confidence inspiration there as it is on the street. I ran intermediate, but I bumped to Advanced on Sunday.

Most of the weekend was uneventful aside from a heavy crash in T1 in the advanced group where an over ambitious rider tried to pass about 5 bikes and unfortunately resulted with a collision with another rider sending him away in an ambulance with a broken leg. The bonehead move likely earned him a ban from all future STT events. There were also 2 oil downs (one from a crash and another for a blown engine), but given the staff and equipment available at Barber, both were cleaned up quickly with minimal loss of track time.

I had my first encounter with a Panigale V4r, and the only thing I can say is that it’s an absolute rocket ship. Entry and corner speed between myself and the rider were pretty similar, but my god I’ve never seen a bike exit a corner as quickly and with as much composure as that bike did. An absolute weapon.

A note about tires: A $200 learning experience, WITH PICTURES!

A quick lesson on tearing:
Hot tear is usually caused by under inflation for track and ambient temperature. The tire overheats and pitches off the rubber due to centrifugal force

Cold tear is usually caused by overinflation where you end up with a small contact patch that doesn’t allow the heat being generate to be dissipated into the tire carcass and tread. The result is deep tearing where the outer surface overheats, but when lifting back the folds of the tears, virgin rubber is found.

I was running Michelin’s Cup 2’s 180/55 (DOT track tires). Running warmers Michelin recommends 24-25psi (24.65 to be precise). By the second session I was running into what I was identifying as cold tear.

The normal solution for cold tear is to drop pressure ~3psi and go out for a session and treat the tires gently to heal them, which I did. And as Ive implied, it didn’t fix anything.

What I’ve determined is that hot tear on a dual compound tire can look a lot like cold tear. Note the red section highlighting proper wear on the harder section of compound which indicates it’s operating within the correct temp range. If it had been a true cold tear due to over inflation, the harder section would’ve likely shown no wear at all, and the softer section still showing something similar.

So I swung the other way with pressure, 26 (waste of time), then 28 (Some improvement), and ultimately landed on 30 to finally clean up the tear. Unfortunately by this point I had very little rubber left on the right side of the tire it was done (but the last session on it was a blast with lots of wiggling and sliding).

After finishing off that tire, I switched to a 190/55 (they were out of 180s). Inflated to, what I now knew to be safe, 30psi off the warmer. Now with no tearing, and I probably could have dropped a pound or 2 without issues, but I wasn’t having grip issues so I left it alone.

Moral of the story, if you’re running Cup 2’s on something other than 600 on a moderately warm/sunny day, you’re probably going to need more than the recommended pressure.
I hope you provided this fantastic tire feedback/advice somewhere other than here where people can use it...

Awesome write up :doe: , sounds like a super fun time, man! In4 action pics of you on track on the KTM.