JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:18 pm
Only problem with heat pumps is the efficiency below freezing is terrible. Not only that, but they don't work all that well below 20. I recall many mornings driving the Volt in the winter completely bundled up from head to toe because the heater just couldn't keep up when it's 10 degrees outside. Range was also terribad.
Agreed they drop off a cliff below freezing at which point the gas motor needs to run to heat the compartment. But above that the heat pump will work fine, and save the need to run the motor. The CRV doesn’t have this. So on a 45 degree morning it has to run the motor nonstop to heat anything. Thus getting horrific gas mileage that is way worse than any of the gas motor CRVs.
Buying a hybrid to be kind to the environment only to end up consuming more.

Sounds like some "green diesel" shit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Agreed they drop off a cliff below freezing at which point the gas motor needs to run to heat the compartment. But above that the heat pump will work fine, and save the need to run the motor. The CRV doesn’t have this. So on a 45 degree morning it has to run the motor nonstop to heat anything. Thus getting horrific gas mileage that is way worse than any of the gas motor CRVs.

:dat:

Pretty :disappoint:

And to think those 'Skyactiv' Mazderps were achieving like 40 MPG years ago with plain old NA ICE. :notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:14 pm

:dat:

Pretty :disappoint:

And to think those 'Skyactiv' Mazderps were achieving like 40 MPG years ago with plain old NA ICE. :notsure:
Yea, no shit. The .gov decided to force electrification instead of advancement of ICE, which is a good long term (25-50 year) strategy, but it was set to be more near term, which is resulting in these forced rushed half assed hybrids.

ICE had a lot of opportunity for efficiency advancement still, it's sad we won't really see its full potential.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

First mod complete. Bought the 3D Maxpider floor mats.

They’re fine. Seem like floor mats to me. Fit the car very well and don’t look janky like weathertechs do. Stupid chrome emblem on them is the only drawback. Will see how they handle the slush and salt this winter.

I wanted the OEM rubber mats but they don’t hold any liquid at all and don’t cover the dead pedal. So they’re mostly useless.
Johnny_P

Car update: overall 38.5 MPG and dropping. Car takes too long to warm up the motor. Whoever programmed this vehicle sucks. But still good mpg overall just not as good as advertised.

Handles potholes really well. This thing is a couch. It’s really stress free to drive in the city.

We are taking a huge road trip to see family over Christmas. Will report back on mpg and car trip duty. But I expect it to be overall pleasant since this thing slays long highway hauls like no vehicle I’ve ever owned. Seats are epic for long haul duty and it’s big enough to stretch out despite the monster kid seat.

Oh also. The sound quality is good. Especially through the phone connection. I like having a radio with actual bass again. I missed that in the Subaru.
Johnny_P

Slayed the highways so far. This thing is a road trip champ.

450 mile range, 37-42 mpg highway if you keep the speed below like 72. Pretty decent.
Seats were comfy for 7 hour slogs.
Car play still glitching the graphics but refresh it once and it seems to be fine for the rest of the drive.
A weeks worth of bullshit for 2+ baby fit under the cargo cover.

Also turns out Julian is a road trip champ as well. Total of about 30 mins of fussing over 15 hrs of driving.

Can’t really ask for more.

We head home tomorrow and I’m bringing my brother for half of the distance. So it will be 3+ baby but shouldn’t be a problem.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:56 pm Slayed the highways so far. This thing is a road trip champ.

450 mile range, 37-42 mpg highway if you keep the speed below like 72. Pretty decent.
Seats were comfy for 7 hour slogs.
Car play still glitching the graphics but refresh it once and it seems to be fine for the rest of the drive.
A weeks worth of bullshit for 2+ baby fit under the cargo cover.

Also turns out Julian is a road trip champ as well. Total of about 30 mins of fussing over 15 hrs of driving.

Can’t really ask for more.

We head home tomorrow and I’m bringing my brother for half of the distance. So it will be 3+ baby but shouldn’t be a problem.
Going to be beautiful in the promised land tomorrow. Drive safe homie
Johnny_P

Returned 35 mpg going straight into a headwind at 60 mph. I guess that’s not horrible.

Another 6 hr drive today. No complaints.

Car play is great.
Memory power seats are excellent.
Radar cruise is amaze.
Even lane keep came in handy when I was opening a clif bar.

It’s got no balls on the highway. Floor it and it’s 4-5 seconds before anything happens. And MPG is not what it should be. But it’s not horrible.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:30 pm Returned 35 mpg going straight into a headwind at 60 mph. I guess that’s not horrible.

Car play is great.
Radar cruise is amaze.

It’s got no balls on the highway. Floor it and it’s 4-5 seconds before anything happens. And MPG is not what it should be. But it’s not horrible.
I dunno breh, 35mpg loaded with stuff into a headwind in a tall vehicle is pretty :notbad:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:40 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:30 pm Returned 35 mpg going straight into a headwind at 60 mph. I guess that’s not horrible.

Car play is great.
Radar cruise is amaze.

I dunno breh, 35mpg loaded with stuff into a headwind in a tall vehicle is pretty :notbad:
Seems genuinely :notbad: to me. The Atlas returned 20.2mpg on our last tank, which included 200 highway miles to Ft. Wayne and back. We love that thing, but it's pretty :poop: on gas mileage.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:55 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:40 am
Seems genuinely :notbad: to me. The Atlas returned 20.2mpg on our last tank, which included 200 highway miles to Ft. Wayne and back. We love that thing, but it's pretty :poop: on gas mileage.
What speed on the highway?

On our last trip in the Cucktrek, it got 27mpg into a headwind doing 80. And that's a small, light thing.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:58 am
coogles wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:55 am

What speed on the highway?

On our last trip in the Cucktrek, it got 27mpg into a headwind doing 80. And that's a small, light thing.
78-79 mostly. It's also shaped like a brick, so not super surprising it doesn't do any better than that at those speeds. We're coming up on 30k miles in that car, I should get around to doing a mini review at some point. :whocares:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

All those MPGs sound spot on. Don’t see an atlas doing much better than that, JP drives slower due to geographical area so 30+ makes sense. And 27 in CT is spot on.

:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

4R will be...16 at best?

:popcorn: :fullretard:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:48 am 4R will be...16 at best?

If you got 27 in CT you'll prob get around 17-8 in 4R.

Around town is really what killed it for me. It’s baaaad even in the taco which is about 10-15% better than the 4R. Who cares tho gas is cheap for y’all
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:57 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:48 am 4R will be...16 at best?

Around town is really what killed it for me. It’s baaaad even in the taco which is about 10-15% better than the 4R. Who cares tho gas is cheap for y’all
I don't care, the cost isn't a concern at all, but it's kind of a PITA to refuel all the time. The CuckTruck couldn't get more than 300 miles range, and that just got old. 4R will probably be the same, but whatever. The JL/T didn't do much better with range, it's just the nature of these sorts of vehicles.

We live in a weird place where most of our miles are 2 lane roads doing 45-65mph, so our "around town" mileage is better than the few times we do get on the highway.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:23 pm

I don't care, the cost isn't a concern at all, but it's kind of a PITA to refuel all the time. The CuckTruck couldn't get more than 300 miles range, and that just got old. 4R will probably be the same, but whatever. The JL/T didn't do much better with range, it's just the nature of these sorts of vehicles.

We live in a weird place where most of our miles are 2 lane roads doing 45-65mph, so our "around town" mileage is better than the few times we do get on the highway.
It’s a 23 gal tank so yea probably 300 mile fill ups will be the norm. Unless we’re having that other debate where one should fill at 1/2 tank :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:37 pm

It’s a 23 gal tank so yea probably 300 mile fill ups will be the norm. Unless we’re having that other debate where one should fill at 1/2 tank :lolol:
Yea, that's the problem. I like to fill up between a quarter and half a tank "just in case" because I live in the middle of nowhere. But I only fill up when convenient, like when we're already running errands and I notice the tank getting close to a quarter. So I'll probably be filling up every 200ish miles.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:41 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:37 pm
Yea, that's the problem. I like to fill up between a quarter and half a tank "just in case" because I live in the middle of nowhere. But I only fill up when convenient, like when we're already running errands and I notice the tank getting close to a quarter. So I'll probably be filling up every 200ish miles.
But then you get to post the gas station glamour shots when “my baby is drinking premium only <3 “
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:41 pm
But then you get to post the gas station glamour shots when “my baby is drinking premium only <3 “
:disgust:

4R gets donkey piss, that's the point of the thing. I don't even really track gas mileage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I can get 450-500 on the highway out of our Jeep, which is pretty :nice:

I liked the :poorvette: where it was like 500 miles highway or 200 city :lolol:

I feel like a CRV loaded with people and shit getting 35 is pretty darn good, but I may be out of touch. Prius gets like 55-65 so I guess that's the way to go for true efficiency, but it's also way more aero and smaller. I still think a Prius is probably the best vehicle sold today as far as just being transportation.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:55 pm

I feel like a CRV loaded with people and shit getting 35 is pretty darn good, but I may be out of touch. Prius gets like 55-65 so I guess that's the way to go for true efficiency, but it's also way more aero and smaller. I still think a Prius is probably the best vehicle sold today as far as just being transportation.
:mindblown:

Our Sahara could barely crack 400 with the mild hybrid.

35 for a compact SUV is pretty great, indeed. Honda may over-rate them, but at least compared to the industry, they're great.

The Prius has probably always been the best transportation appliance in the industry. I don't even hate on them much other than the styling.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:55 pm

:mindblown:

Our Sahara could barely crack 400 with the mild hybrid.

35 for a compact SUV is pretty great, indeed. Honda may over-rate them, but at least compared to the industry, they're great.

The Prius has probably always been the best transportation appliance in the industry. I don't even hate on them much other than the styling.
Yeah. I don’t hate the styling on them they’re just way too slow for me. Which is annoying because the Rav4 and Camry hybrids aren’t exactly slow.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Our GC gets about 22 max on the highway, but dat 26 gallon tank makes for pretty good range. Around town its like 13-14 lol. Dat v8 tho
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

rockchops wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:30 pm Our GC gets about 22 max on the highway, but dat 26 gallon tank makes for pretty good range. Around town its like 13-14 lol. Dat v8 tho
Worth it