Cucktrek: Making Money Never Felt So Good

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:08 pm Would a 4R be better in the snow tho ? Internetz says cucktrecks are the best in those conditions. Due to size/weight/awd
Well, our JL was an absolute BEAST in worse conditions, zero issues like the Cucktrek. My JTR was the same. I think weight actually helps.

The Cucktrek would be fantastic with better tires. The only fault of the car is the low rolling resistance fuel economy rock tires they put on it from the factory to eek out every last MPG.

I'm not dropping $1k on tires for a car I hope to off within 4 weeks, that's lunacy.

But I've also been debating :fullretard: on the 4R and seeing if I can strike a deal with the dealer to put on bronze TuRD wheels with Wildpeak AT3w's before delivery, which would make it pretty invincible...I loved the AT3w's that the JT had, and the bronze on green is :muah: .

:megusta:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:52 am :hibachi: on the 4R as of now :dillerman: has "no updates", still coming in "next few weeks" :rolleyes:

Which is even more :rolleyes: after yesterday...

Got our first real snow of the season ~9" total. I had to take the Cucktrek out yesterday in the midst of the storm for a Home Depot run, and holy hell are the tires absolute garbage in the snow. It's embarrassingly bad.

First, I almost slid off our driveway doing 5mph, which is a 15ish foot drop straight down. ABS kicked in and instead of slowing and turning, it plowed straight. The right thing to do is let off the brakes and the front wheels will bite to turn, which is counter intuitive when you're plowing straight for a 15 foot drop. Fortunately, it's reactionary for me. I've never encountered a vehicle plow like that at such a low speed.

Then, I slid through a stop light on ABS doing 10mph and allowing probably a few hundred feet to gradually slow down. It just refused to stop. Fortunately, other cars couldn't GO that quickly because of snow/ice, dodged a bullet there.

THEN almost hit a parked car while parking at HD, again doing 5mph the abs kicked in and the thing just plowed...fortunately like before I knew to let off the brakes to let is steer, which it did, but most people would have smacked the other car.

BUT incredibly, the thing is an absolute beast accelerating. We have a steep hill into our sub, and the thing just climbed up like a goat. ZERO traction, but somehow it just walks up anything. Ditto for taking off from a stoplight on ice. What I've been saying for YEARS in regards to "needing AWD" rings so true...AWD helps you go, but does nothing for turning or stopping. TIRES are more important than any drivetrain combo.

I'm really glad I drove it in the snow before the wife. She very likely would have wrecked driving yesterday including in our own damned driveway. That thing needs proper tires ASAP, which sucks because I want to off it, but I really hope I don't wreck it first. It's a challenge to drive right now.

Fucking 4R :hibachi:
Did you have TC on or off?
The STI plowed directly straight with TC on. It drove normal with TC off in the snow. Something to test out in a parking lot or something.

Also worth checking your tire pressures. The Subaru systems don’t have much resolution and won’t notify you until the tires are like 5-10 psi out of spec.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:52 am :hibachi: on the 4R as of now :dillerman: has "no updates", still coming in "next few weeks" :rolleyes:

Which is even more :rolleyes: after yesterday...

Got our first real snow of the season ~9" total. I had to take the Cucktrek out yesterday in the midst of the storm for a Home Depot run, and holy hell are the tires absolute garbage in the snow. It's embarrassingly bad.

First, I almost slid off our driveway doing 5mph, which is a 15ish foot drop straight down. ABS kicked in and instead of slowing and turning, it plowed straight. The right thing to do is let off the brakes and the front wheels will bite to turn, which is counter intuitive when you're plowing straight for a 15 foot drop. Fortunately, it's reactionary for me. I've never encountered a vehicle plow like that at such a low speed.

Then, I slid through a stop light on ABS doing 10mph and allowing probably a few hundred feet to gradually slow down. It just refused to stop. Fortunately, other cars couldn't GO that quickly because of snow/ice, dodged a bullet there.

THEN almost hit a parked car while parking at HD, again doing 5mph the abs kicked in and the thing just plowed...fortunately like before I knew to let off the brakes to let is steer, which it did, but most people would have smacked the other car.

BUT incredibly, the thing is an absolute beast accelerating. We have a steep hill into our sub, and the thing just climbed up like a goat. ZERO traction, but somehow it just walks up anything. Ditto for taking off from a stoplight on ice. What I've been saying for YEARS in regards to "needing AWD" rings so true...AWD helps you go, but does nothing for turning or stopping. TIRES are more important than any drivetrain combo.

I'm really glad I drove it in the snow before the wife. She very likely would have wrecked driving yesterday including in our own damned driveway. That thing needs proper tires ASAP, which sucks because I want to off it, but I really hope I don't wreck it first. It's a challenge to drive right now.

Fucking 4R :hibachi:
Did you have TC on or off?
The STI plowed directly straight with TC on. It drove normal with TC off in the snow. Something to test out in a parking lot or something.

Also worth checking your tire pressures. The Subaru systems don’t have much resolution and won’t notify you until the tires are like 5-10 psi out of spec.
I didn't try turning TC off because it felt like ABS that was the issue. If I need to go out again in this weather, I'll test out the TC off.

I haven't checked the tire pressures, but if anything, the tires are low on pressure. Which would be a good thing for grip.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:31 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:08 pm Would a 4R be better in the snow tho ? Internetz says cucktrecks are the best in those conditions. Due to size/weight/awd
Well, our JL was an absolute BEAST in worse conditions, zero issues like the Cucktrek. My JTR was the same. I think weight actually helps.

The Cucktrek would be fantastic with better tires. The only fault of the car is the low rolling resistance fuel economy rock tires they put on it from the factory to eek out every last MPG.

I'm not dropping $1k on tires for a car I hope to off within 4 weeks, that's lunacy.

But I've also been debating :fullretard: on the 4R and seeing if I can strike a deal with the dealer to put on bronze TuRD wheels with Wildpeak AT3w's before delivery, which would make it pretty invincible...I loved the AT3w's that the JT had, and the bronze on green is :muah: .

That looks completely bad ass.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:45 pm

That looks completely bad ass.
Yea, the wants are real.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I am not a huge fan of that color combo. But that obviously comes down to personal preference so I can't judge. People do like those fancier tires and HAAATE on the factory tires constantly. So I think if you do get the new ride why not get another set? Perhaps someone is selling take offs. That's the way to go on these... however even factory wheel prices are pretty reasonable at about $200 a pop. But then you gotta add sensors/tires etc... probably a 3k ordeal when it is all said and done. :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:14 pm
It's because it's not really a generally regarded enthusiast car. YOUR spec is, but the vast majority are just German Camrys, and that drives the value down. Yours is probably worth more than others, but not a ton more.

The current GTI, ST, etc values are :fullretard: but they're not really available new in any way (GTI is stuck in generation transition) right now, so that boosts value as well. Anyone buying one of those cars right now is an idiot.
I'm starting to question whether or not GTI values will really start coming down now seeing the prices for the MK8s. $36k for an SE, $40k for an Autobahn...that's going to inflate MK7 values long-term, IMO, until the big discounts really start pouring in. Given today's climate we're some time off from that happening.

I agree on Griff's car, doe. It's probably a better car than a MK7 GTI but it's worth less. A quick nationwide cars.com search for a manual, RWD 328i or 330i turns up almost nothing. Very few 335is or 340is, either. You'd think his car would be worth some coin given how rare it is, but to your point, I think few enthusiasts think of them as an option and the values are more tied in with the German Camry vibe of the rest of the F30s rolling around out there. The only models that have seen big price jumps are the M3s.
I would be curious how it would do on Cars and Bids or something. When I sold it to :melon: , I had it listed locally for $17.5K (this was at 30K miles) and kept getting messages like 'neat car, will you take $11K?'.

I'm curious on the GTI thing... seems like all of the auto reviewers hate the MK8. I wonder if it will tank or end up being discounted super heavily one year into production. Either way, it may help keep MK7s pricier. It just seems like GTIs have always had terrible resale, so :notsure:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I love the bronze/green color combo.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:51 pm

I am not a huge fan of that color combo. But that obviously comes down to personal preference so I can't judge. People do like those fancier tires and HAAATE on the factory tires constantly. So I think if you do get the new ride why not get another set? Perhaps someone is selling take offs. That's the way to go on these... however even factory wheel prices are pretty reasonable at about $200 a pop. But then you gotta add sensors/tires etc... probably a 3k ordeal when it is all said and done. :disgust:
I'm hoping that maybe they'll work with me on a bit of deal since per their original estimate I should have had the truck by now. I'm going to threaten buying the TuRD Bro a few hours from me to see if I can get a deal. Doubt it, but worth a shot.

My experience in the Cucktrek yesterday made me look up the stock ORP tires, and they're similar worthless highway tires. I'll be changing those ASAP.
max225

Yea I don't see them "working" on any sort of :dill: :doe: they can sell these trucks at sticker all the day long whether it is to you or someone else. But who knows... you may get lucky.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:58 pm qUOTE
Yea, I expect him to :gtfo: but worth a shot.

I am starting to think more about the Lime Pro :doe: Wheels and tires are taken care of on that thing (comes with Nitto Ridge Grapplers which are decent), and as you said it's another $2k (assuming I can get ~$1k for the stock wheels), which makes the delta even closer.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 pm I would be curious how it would do on Cars and Bids or something. When I sold it to :melon: , I had it listed locally for $17.5K (this was at 30K miles) and kept getting messages like 'neat car, will you take $11K?'.

I'm curious on the GTI thing... seems like all of the auto reviewers hate the MK8. I wonder if it will tank or end up being discounted super heavily one year into production. Either way, it may help keep MK7s pricier. It just seems like GTIs have always had terrible resale, so :notsure:
That's a good point, I think you'd have way better luck on Cars & Bids. Narrow down the audience to the enthusiast crowd and it'd get a much better reception.
ChrisoftheNorth

And the Lime TuRD Bro 2 hours from me is spoken for now. I had a short window apparently.

:ohwell: We'll see how the :hibachi: goes with my local dealer and the ORP.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:24 pm And the Lime TuRD Bro 2 hours from me is spoken for now. I had a short window apparently.

Yea I am not surprised. BRO at sticker goes in less than a week traditionally... and it sounds like it sold before it even hit the dealer... :lol: Typical BRO shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

One door closes and another opens. :dillerman: just texted me that my ORP has an ETA of 12/21. Merry Christmas!

I should be able to put off Carvana picking up the Cucktrek for 2 weeks. It should all work out :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:24 pm And the Lime TuRD Bro 2 hours from me is spoken for now. I had a short window apparently.

Yea I am not surprised. BRO at sticker goes in less than a week traditionally... and it sounds like it sold before it even hit the dealer... :lol: Typical BRO shit.
I was actually shocked when I contacted him last week and he told me it wasn't spoken for. Oh well, ORP it is...
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:50 pm One door closes and another opens. :dillerman: just texted me that my ORP has an ETA of 12/21. Merry Christmas!

I should be able to put off Carvana picking up the Cucktrek for 2 weeks. It should all work out :notbad:
Yea that part doesn't surprise me one bit... I would expect that it may come in a few days later even. But :whocares: it is going to be here before NY.

When does your thing expire again?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:50 pm One door closes and another opens. :dillerman: just texted me that my ORP has an ETA of 12/21. Merry Christmas!

Yea that part doesn't surprise me one bit... I would expect that it may come in a few days later even. But :whocares: it is going to be here before NY.

When does your thing expire again?
Carvana quote expires Wednesday. I'll check before accepting what the current deal is, but I expect to accept the original $34.2k offer.

I'm sure I can push the pick up off a few weeks. I'm fine renting a car for a few days if needed.
ChrisoftheNorth

Dang, $1,950 from the :dillerman: for TuRD wheels and Wildpeak AT3w's. :notbad: TBH.

AND they'll use the factory sensors AND give me the factory wheels (without sensors) to sell on my own. Maybe I can get $500 for them.

I know it's :fullretard: but I really like the look and the tire upgrade will be wise here. :troywax:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:01 pm Dang, $1,950 from the :dillerman: for TuRD wheels and Wildpeak AT3w's. :notbad: TBH.

AND they'll use the factory sensors AND give me the factory wheels (without sensors) to sell on my own. Maybe I can get $500 for them.

I know it's :fullretard: but I really like the look and the tire upgrade will be wise here. :troywax:
Nothing :fullretard: here. Sweet deal. Looks killer.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah AWD vehicles can act funky if tire pressures are off. I’d check at least.

The TC thing was counter intuitive to me. But turning it off did let the car handle a bit better in the snow.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:01 pm Dang, $1,950 from the :dillerman: for TuRD wheels and Wildpeak AT3w's. :notbad: TBH.

Just resale. Lighting $2k on fire when we decide to sell it.

But I just don't like the stock wheels much and if I'm changing tires anyway...
max225

Yea... you can likely get 500-800 for the other wheels/tires. $1950 sounds about right... i guess $1200 for tires and $800 wheels.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm Yeah AWD vehicles can act funky if tire pressures are off. I’d check at least.

The TC thing was counter intuitive to me. But turning it off did let the car handle a bit better in the snow.
This is outstanding feedback. My first AWD car, so :iono: overall. I've only ever had manually shifted transfer cases.

I'll check the pressures and try turning off TC the next time I'm in the snow. Which will very likely happen in the next 2 weeks especially since I have a 500 mile round trip drive next week.

Just can't wreck the thing...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:05 pm

Just resale. Lighting $2k on fire when we decide to sell it.

But I just don't like the stock wheels much and if I'm changing tires anyway...
If I lived in Northern Michigan and I bought one of those I would probably never sell it.