Cucktrek: Making Money Never Felt So Good

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:43 am What's particularly :mindblown: to me is the only cars I'm really interested in anymore are Toyotas. The BR86 or the new GR Corolla, nobody else is making anything like either of these because the race has been decided for EV pods.

From TOYOTA of all companies, who is historically somewhat boring.

:mindblown:
:impressive:
Nissan FrontQueef is quite nice also...
Any Porsche with the 4.slow if money is no object
BR86 is obviously great, but I'm curious about what if any volume constraints may be.
I was just referring to cars, which are pretty much abandoned by the industry beside boring pod mobiles.

Trucks and SUVs, the Froniter is indeed appealing, as is the Defender.

I've always wanted a Porsche, but don't care enough to pay the brand premium. I'd be just as happy in a BR86, but the GR Corolla has REALLY peaked my interest as an AWD hatch with a unique engine con :manuel: That's the peak for that vehicle combination (hatchback, AWD, :manuel: ). Plus being rally inspired, I'm hoping it's not a useless track beast and actually something fun in the real world.

AWD fun hatchbacks are dead outside of the Golf R, Hype R (and that's too track oriented for me), and ?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:43 am What's particularly :mindblown: to me is the only cars I'm really interested in anymore are Toyotas. The BR86 or the new GR Corolla, nobody else is making anything like either of these because the race has been decided for EV pods.

From TOYOTA of all companies, who is historically somewhat boring.

:mindblown:
:impressive:
I really didn't think the BRZ or 86 would see a second gen. However, it is a cheap, fun car that appeals to almost everyone on this forum (young (and proverbially young at heart) car enthusiasts. If younger people are buying these cars, Toyota can bet that they'll be back to buy more grown up things when they found out that :drunk: + :jizz: turns into :baby:

I've never owned a Toyota, but my love affair as a young VW enthusiast put me behind the wheel of four cars from that brand. The good news for Toyota is, that neither the 86, nor the Supra costs that much to develop since they share the costs with other manufacturers. :smrt:
I'm shocked there's a 2nd gen BR86, and not just that but it sounds like it's really good. Incredible that Toyota devotes the resources to it, and yes while sharing with Subaru helped keep those costs down, they're still a drain when BILLIONS need to be spent developing EVs pods.

Toyota has always been trying to appeal to the youths to make them customers for life. Scion was an entire brand dedicated to doing that, but it never took off. I had a 1st gen tC right out of undergrad, which was a much better car than it should have been. I REALLY liked that thing. It was also my last and only Japanese car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:40 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:30 pm

Nissan FrontQueef is quite nice also...
Any Porsche with the 4.slow if money is no object
BR86 is obviously great, but I'm curious about what if any volume constraints may be.
I was just referring to cars, which are pretty much abandoned by the industry beside boring pod mobiles.

I've always wanted a Porsche, but don't care enough to pay the brand premium. I'd be just as happy in a BR86, but the GR Corolla has REALLY peaked my interest as an AWD hatch with a unique engine con :manuel: That's the peak for that vehicle combination (hatchback, AWD, :manuel: ). Plus being rally inspired, I'm hoping it's not a useless track beast and actually something fun in the real world.

AWD fun hatchbacks are dead outside of the Golf R, Hype R (and that's too track oriented for me), and ?
Gla 45 is also out there. Market is pretty saturated with all kinds of vehicles now. Fwd awd rwd you pick a price point and what you want.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:40 pm

Gla 45 is also out there. Market is pretty saturated with all kinds of vehicles now. Fwd awd rwd you pick a price point and what you want.
Zero interest in paying for a premium brand, but yea premium brands bring in things like the RS3, which not a hatch, but still really cool. I just don't have interest in paying $40k+ for a fun second vehicle, it's not worth it to me.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:43 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:28 pm

I really didn't think the BRZ or 86 would see a second gen. However, it is a cheap, fun car that appeals to almost everyone on this forum (young (and proverbially young at heart) car enthusiasts. If younger people are buying these cars, Toyota can bet that they'll be back to buy more grown up things when they found out that :drunk: + :jizz: turns into :baby:

I've never owned a Toyota, but my love affair as a young VW enthusiast put me behind the wheel of four cars from that brand. The good news for Toyota is, that neither the 86, nor the Supra costs that much to develop since they share the costs with other manufacturers. :smrt:
I'm shocked there's a 2nd gen BR86, and not just that but it sounds like it's really good. Incredible that Toyota devotes the resources to it, and yes while sharing with Subaru helped keep those costs down, they're still a drain when BILLIONS need to be spent developing EVs pods.

Toyota has always been trying to appeal to the youths to make them customers for life. Scion was an entire brand dedicated to doing that, but it never took off. I had a 1st gen tC right out of undergrad, which was a much better car than it should have been. I REALLY liked that thing. It was also my last and only Japanese car.
They seem to be throwing a plug on existing hybrid packages and calling them Prime. I wonder if that satisfies their requirements for EV offerings? I'm sure more stuff will come, but they seamlessly threw a Rav Prime out there and it has a gov credit attached to it's purchase and a three year waiting list right out of the floodgates. I think they put more money into hydrogen tech then EV, and rightfully so, IMO.

The brand is better then it was, I'm legit finding their design cues to be neutral to appealing range, which is a big leap from five years ago when heinous to unsightly was a better description of their offerings. I feel like my next statement will bring on some :disgust: , but I even think a Camry SE (XSE) looks pretty dece, reminds me of my 2004 TL in many ways, just way more efficient.
max225

Primes are not close to hybrids per say. They have actual big batteries and they allow for significant EV only driving.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:04 pm

They seem to be throwing a plug on existing hybrid packages and calling them Prime. I wonder if that satisfies their requirements for EV offerings? I'm sure more stuff will come, but they seamlessly threw a Rav Prime out there and it has a gov credit attached to it's purchase and a three year waiting list right out of the floodgates. I think they put more money into hydrogen tech then EV, and rightfully so, IMO.

The brand is better then it was, I'm legit finding their design cues to be neutral to appealing range, which is a big leap from five years ago when heinous to unsightly was a better description of their offerings. I feel like my next statement will bring on some :disgust: , but I even think a Camry SE (XSE) looks pretty dece, reminds me of my 2004 TL in many ways, just way more efficient.
Yea, it's interesting how Toyota has approached EVs, basically just hybrids and plug-ins. But by leading with the Prius 20+ years ago, they built a brand around efficiency that's stuck. The Highlander Hybrid gets an astonishing 35mpg. In a 3-row family hauler. Sure, it's not fast, but it gets 35mpg without the customer needing to plug it in, or buy special gas, or do much of anything other than drive it like normal. For that segment of customer, it's brilliant. This kind of efficiency pays off in spades for CAFE, not to mention all the other fuel efficient vehicles they sell. So instead of building extremes: EVs and gas guzzlers, they build more of a balance that works...for now. There's emissions requirements coming that will pressure them more for plug-ins and full EVs, but I'm sure that's being worked on.

Which is why things like the Rav4 Prime exists, and its sold out everywhere I'd guess because Toyota is only capacitized to build what they have to for compliance and demand happens to surpass that. It's a case where their rigid production planning is burning them, but only kind of because it makes those things more profitable since they don't have to discount them to move them.

And agreed, styling is quite improved. The Camry looks legit decent now, I wouldn't be embarrassed to drive one at all.

I've mostly ignored Toyota for the last 8 years while I've worked for 'murican OEMs. They all dismiss Toyota as unpatriotic imports for left wing fart sniffers. I have quite a bit of respect for the brand now that I can look at the industry through a more neutral lens. Hell, my garage might be Toyotas for the foreseeable future.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:31 pm Primes are not close to hybrids per say. They have actual big batteries and they allow for significant EV only driving.
I really wish we'd see more of these, but alas full EV is the chosen future and it's hard to dedicate investment to half-measures, even though they'll make more sense for a while.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:37 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:31 pm Primes are not close to hybrids per say. They have actual big batteries and they allow for significant EV only driving.
I really wish we'd see more of these, but alas full EV is the chosen future and it's hard to dedicate investment to half-measures, even though they'll make more sense for a while.
The primes are epic. Toyota does hybrids really well and these things are actually high performers + efficient + can be in ev only. Best of all worlds ?!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So............with the chip shortage, if you bought a 2022 Cadillac Escalade for 90 grand it would come without heated/cooled seats and no heated steering wheel. Seats get retrofitted.......but no heated steering wheel for lyfe? These are the hardest of hard times brohams.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:52 pm So............with the chip shortage, if you bought a 2022 Cadillac Escalade for 90 grand it would come without heated/cooled seats and no heated steering wheel. Seats get retrofitted.......but no heated steering wheel for lyfe? These are the hardest of hard times brohams.
Well I can’t get my digi mirror either. The suffering is immense
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:37 pm
The primes are epic. Toyota does hybrids really well and these things are actually high performers + efficient + can be in ev only. Best of all worlds ?!
It really is the best of all worlds, which is why I wish we'd see more of these.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:52 pm So............with the chip shortage, if you bought a 2022 Cadillac Escalade for 90 grand it would come without heated/cooled seats and no heated steering wheel. Seats get retrofitted.......but no heated steering wheel for lyfe? These are the hardest of hard times brohams.
Better to just kill yourself.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:53 pm
What does the digi mirror do?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:17 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:53 pm

Camera instead of traditional fairly useless mirror that has to look past multiple rows of seats + hinge mounted spare
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Camera instead of traditional fairly useless mirror that has to look past multiple rows of seats + hinge mounted spare
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Do you get that retrofitted? They are kind of cool my friend has one on his 2021 Brahoe.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:26 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Do you get that retrofitted? They are kind of cool my friend has one on his 2021 Brahoe.
Nope. The camera is located in the 2nd fin on the roof. So perhaps ? maybe? I have no idea. Headliner probably has to be pulled + Parts +install... likely a $3k ordeal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:30 am I hope everyone stops buying 981s and buys the BR86

So 981 prices go down :lol:
I would love to have one as well :lolol:

But man would I be scared of owning/maintaining a decade old Poorsche. A brand new 'yotabaru is a lot more apporachable.

You own a 20 year old S4 :doe: , so seemingly :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:34 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:30 am I hope everyone stops buying 981s and buys the BR86

But man would I be scared of owning/maintaining a decade old Poorsche. A brand new 'yotabaru is a lot more apporachable.

The problem is, a used Porsche (any) worth buying will almost always cost more than a new BR86 probably from now on. A BRAND NEW car with a warranty from two companies known for excellent durability (ok, Subaru is debatable, but at least parts are cheap).

I've always wanted another Porsche, but it would be hard to pull the trigger when a 35 year old 944 Turbo costs the same as a new car that would keep up, or probably smoke it.

Brand ain't worth that much to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I 100% agree... the tables keep turning. Brands get too comfortable ad become blah. Look at Ferd, did away with the STs, all cars, just make boring :truk: and the Mustang/Bronco are the only interesting vehicles. Of those two, the Mustang is a 10 year old platform and the Bronco is unobtanium.

I think TOyota got sick of everyone calling them the most boring manufacturer and they've really pulled through. They can appease loyalist/luddites with the Taco/4R, which hold true to their basic roots in a great way, run forever, go anywhere, just work, and look cool. Car enthusiasts get the Supra, 86, upcoming GR 'rolla. Even for those looking for just basic transport, they have the Prius which is, IMO, the best vehicle money can buy today for a non car enthusiast. Their CUVs are class leading, they invested in making the Rav more seemingly rugged and efficient, which seems to have paid off in the biggest segment in NA.

I actually don't mind the new Camry at all, I've driven a few. They are pretty dece.

Curious what the new Tundra ends up being like. I am :notsure: on going TT V6 over V8.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:34 pm

:lolol: I was scared to death of the car when I bought it, but I got one that was cared for. I really enjoyed the Boxster after I spent more time in it. The sound is one thing that REALLY grows on you. But it won't fit a golf bag so it couldn't be an only car for me.

Also FWIW a 981 will probably be like your F30 as far as maintenance. Obviously parts costs are higher, but I wouldn't expect many surprise issues.
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 pm

I 100% agree... the tables keep turning. Brands get too comfortable ad become blah. Look at Ferd, did away with the STs, all cars, just make boring :truk: and the Mustang/Bronco are the only interesting vehicles. Of those two, the Mustang is a 10 year old platform and the Bronco is unobtanium.

I think TOyota got sick of everyone calling them the most boring manufacturer and they've really pulled through. They can appease loyalist/luddites with the Taco/4R, which hold true to their basic roots in a great way, run forever, go anywhere, just work, and look cool. Car enthusiasts get the Supra, 86, upcoming GR 'rolla. Even for those looking for just basic transport, they have the Prius which is, IMO, the best vehicle money can buy today for a non car enthusiast. Their CUVs are class leading, they invested in making the Rav more seemingly rugged and efficient, which seems to have paid off in the biggest segment in NA.

I actually don't mind the new Camry at all, I've driven a few. They are pretty dece.

Curious what the new Tundra ends up being like. I am :notsure: on going TT V6 over V8.
I fucking love the new tundra after watching a bunch of informational videos about the development. And they have tons of confidence in that engine since it's in the LC now as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 pm

I think that's the most remarkable. The industry is transitioning to more boring/blah products and TOYOTA of all companies is coming out with the most appealing mass market AND niche products. I just didn't really see it coming.

The 4R should have died 6 years ago per conventional industry lifecycle norms, it didn't for reasons and it's set new sales records each year since. Now the fact that it's ancient has made it kind of cool and doing the bare minimum to keep it relevant became a selling feature in and of itself. Other OEMs would have either killed it with no replacement to push another menial facelift to a pod mobile or replace it with some watered down crossover BS.

Add in cool new shit nobody else will produce like the GR Corolla and GR86, and the brand truly covers any need while all other OEMs are focusing on mainstream and ignoring niche's.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the new Tundra design. Maybe it'll appeal to me more when I see one IRL, but it's just too damned busy. If it's the direction the Tacoma and 4R go, I'll be :notsure: But that engine is :fuckyeah: and I'm :excited: to see if it goes into smaller applications.
max225

It won’t. Toyota will use some sort of 2.x turbo found in Lexus at the moment the 3.5 is reserved for full sized trucks and suvs
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Wonder what will become of Dodge now that they can't just slap a hellcat engine in every fucking car they make and never update anything.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.