Cucktrek: Making Money Never Felt So Good

Strut your greasy stuff!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:28 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:51 am

No… he’s saying that Ford puts back seats in the cargo ones to avoid export/import taxes and then takes the rear benches off when they’re stateside and sells them as cargo vans.
:dat:

I thought I read that somewhere....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 524765002/

Damn, the Transit Connect is probably going to be a money loser if it isn't already.
My dad had a handful of Sprinter vans throughout his career. One of his latest ones had a window on each sliding door and a rear bench. The final 1/3 of the truck was cargo panels as normal. Rear doors had windows too. It was a “crew” configuration according to Mercedes Benz. Meaning that they were able to skirt the regs.

However unlike this article the bench on his was a legit passenger bench that you’d find in a passenger Sprinter van.

You’d think in Ford’s case if you’re already mass producing passenger benches and skirting a 25% duty on import that you can sacrifice a bit more $ to make the seats LEGIT and therefore a nonissue versus making theirs out of Domino pizza boxes to save even MORE money which is ultimately what got them in trouble.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:55 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:50 pm I've always thought that a transit connect would be a cool :millennial: car. Small enough to use as a regular car in cities, big enough to sleep inside fairly easily. It doesn't tow a boat :doe:
An EcoBoost Transit would tow the boat no problem. And the 130" wheelbase model is about the same size as the "smallest" F-150, which with cab forward seating and better visibility, should be pretty maneuverable for something so large. It would haul anything, and we could sleep in it for long trips.

But on the flip, it'd be like $60k to get a van and outfit it for sleeping. That's a lot of hotels and airBNB's, and the Cucktrek gets much better mileage and easier to drive just due to size alone.

Still no need at all for a 2nd vehicle, sooo this is all just speculation.
Yeah man, all of these 'adventure vehicles' are a pretty tough pill to swallow.

1. Unless you are like an 'influencer' or some other :bs: where you don't have to work, it's pretty tricky to get more than 1K miles from your home. Sure, plenty to see in that range, but if your passion is traveling ($60K dedicated vehicle purchase would point towards yes), you may want to see more of the world.

2. You are still sleeping in a fucking van. Sure, it's OK, but a hotel or arBNB is going to be a lot better, and as mentioned, probably cheaper, especially considering fuel costs and such.

I think the :sawce: :scrooge: Rape Van type thing could make sense, but I feel like most of these things just sit 90% of the time and are crazy money pits.

That said, if I go to Iceland again ever, I think I'd rent a camper van rather than the guesthouses.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:28 am
:dat:

I thought I read that somewhere....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 524765002/

Damn, the Transit Connect is probably going to be a money loser if it isn't already.
My dad had a handful of Sprinter vans throughout his career. One of his latest ones had a window on each sliding door and a rear bench. The final 1/3 of the truck was cargo panels as normal. Rear doors had windows too. It was a “crew” configuration according to Mercedes Benz. Meaning that they were able to skirt the regs.

However unlike this article the bench on his was a legit passenger bench that you’d find in a passenger Sprinter van.

You’d think in Ford’s case if you’re already mass producing passenger benches and skirting a 25% duty on import that you can sacrifice a bit more $ to make the seats LEGIT and therefore a nonissue versus making theirs out of Domino pizza boxes to save even MORE money which is ultimately what got them in trouble.
I actually interviewed for a job at the Mercedes facility outside of Charleston once, years ago. They "assemble" the vans in SC to skirt taxes as well. They're made in Europe but a few pieces land in the port here and then are bolted together at that factory. Pretty interesting. At the time, they told me that was the only way they could compete with domestic vans.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

So, um...we paid $30k OTD for the Cucktrek in June...

We've recently been thinking more about an Outback for a bit more space. The Subaru dealer here just got a white Wilderness in that we're going to check out. :plac: juices flowing since we can make $4k on the Cucktrek. Holy hell what a time.

May try playing :plac: chairs with a bunch of different high residual vehicles if this keeps up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I’d sell it … also curious how carvana will retail a 27k msrp vehicle for 38k
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Just checked the value of my GTI (2018 with 67,5xx miles) and they’re offering $24k. Mind you 18 months ago with way less miles it was worth $17,5 to them.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:50 am I’d sell it … also curious how carvana will retail a 27k msrp vehicle for 38k
It's absolutely mindblowing...AND they gave me until 12/8, so a month to take the deal :mindblown: :wat:

Problem is finding something to replace it since it's our only vehicle.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:02 am Just checked the value of my GTI (2018 with 67,5xx miles) and they’re offering $24k. Mind you 18 months ago with way less miles it was worth $17,5 to them.
Vroom "only offered" $30k. So at worst I break even, but it looks like Carvana has gone :fullretard: I simply can't believe that offer on the Cucktrek.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:15 am
razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:02 am Just checked the value of my GTI (2018 with 67,5xx miles) and they’re offering $24k. Mind you 18 months ago with way less miles it was worth $17,5 to them.
Vroom "only offered" $30k. So at worst I break even, but it looks like Carvana has gone :fullretard: I simply can't believe that offer on the Cucktrek.
The current way to “beat the system” is what my buddy is doing he has like 5-7 cars on order at all times he drives one for 2-3 months and trades in at or above where he bought it for… doing it with Tesla’s at the moment… weird time to be alive but that’s how things work right now.

I would most certainly trade the cucktrek and get something else if you can get something else at sticker. Usually it involves a wait :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:49 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:15 am
The current way to “beat the system” is what my buddy is doing he has like 5-7 cars on order at all times he drives one for 2-3 months and trades in at or above where he bought it for… doing it with Tesla’s at the moment… weird time to be alive but that’s how things work right now.

I would most certainly trade the cucktrek and get something else if you can get something else at sticker. Usually it involves a wait :doe:
My offer is only good for a Month, and I believe this month might be peak for this thing. I don't think I can order something and get it in a month, so I'm stuck with on the lot inventory. And I want something with historic residual (since everything is MSRP+ right now), so I'm pretty limited.

We'll see if the Outback Wilderness the :dillerman: has is actually available for me to check out. Drove by the lot yesterday and found it in the back, it looks pretty neat, but the fact that it's at the back of the lot probably indicates it's sold.

Toyota :dillerman: also just got in a bunch of Tacoma SR5 double cabs. Might check one of those out too, even though I'm pretty meh on a Tacoma.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:54 am
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:49 am

My offer is only good for a Month, and I believe this month might be peak for this thing. I don't think I can order something and get it in a month, so I'm stuck with on the lot inventory. And I want something with historic residual (since everything is MSRP+ right now), so I'm pretty limited.

We'll see if the Outback Wilderness the :dillerman: has is actually available for me to check out. Drove by the lot yesterday and found it in the back, it looks pretty neat, but the fact that it's at the back of the lot probably indicates it's sold.

Toyota :dillerman: also just got in a bunch of Tacoma SR5 double cabs. Might check one of those out too, even though I'm pretty meh on a Tacoma.
Tacoma is something you can buy and drive for 1/2 months and trade in above sticker. :notsure: I’d value a basic bitch taco over a cross trek :doe: sr5s are boring.

I’m actually surprised to see values climbing but there seems to be a jump confirmed by all y’all as well in values nationwide in November. I thought that we would be cresting for now, but some idiots are still willing to pay well above sticker for used cars for some odd reason.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:00 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:54 am

Tacoma is something you can buy and drive for 1/2 months and trade in above sticker. :notsure: I’d value a basic bitch taco over a cross trek :doe: sr5s are boring.

I’m actually surprised to see values climbing but there seems to be a jump confirmed by all y’all as well in values nationwide in November. I thought that we would be cresting for now, but some idiots are still willing to pay well above sticker for used cars for some odd reason.
I'm shocked by the Cucktrek offer. It's insane, but they don't exist anywhere, and coming from Japan means they're probably stuck on a boat right now. Outback is built in Indiana. So the Cucktrek might be special, but based on how much Toyota inventory our dealer has gotten in the last few weeks, I think the tides are changing. This might be the peak.

The Tacoma would help with some house project stuff we're working on for the next few months, could be a good way to use the truck as I need it then trade it in 6mos when I don't need it anymore. Agreed, I have minimal desire for the thing, ESPECIALLY an SR5.

There's just not much I want, but I know I want something with more space than the Cucktrek. Wife and I are seriously talking about driving west in February, so something with decent highway manners and efficiency while maintaining some bit of off-road ability would be ideal. The Outback Wilderness is probably our ideal vehicle.
max225

My local dealers are getting 8 trd off road manuals at 38k msrp which is “unheard of” nowadays. Also it’s rare to see 1 of these in a 10 dealer radius when there are 20-30 Tacoma’s in each lot… to see that many Manuals once again confirms the toyota batch theory. Very odd but that’s how they operate
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:15 am My local dealers are getting 8 trd off road manuals at 38k msrp which is “unheard of” nowadays. Also it’s rare to see 1 of these in a 10 dealer radius when there are 20-30 Tacoma’s in each lot… to see that many Manuals once again confirms the toyota batch theory. Very odd but that’s how they operate
It's absolutely batch production since my dealer just got 10 SR5 Double Cabs, they're lined up on the lot now. What's weird is how the batches are allocated.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wow on this cucktrek Plac thing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Giving up felt good for 57 days.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:01 pm Giving up felt good for 57 days.
:lol: We all knew it was going to go exactly like this.
ChrisoftheNorth

I actually still really like the thing, but making 13% PURE PROFIT on a vehicle is hard to pass up. Especially as a former :plac: this is a golden opportunity.

More than likely I won't off it because there's nothing to replace it with and it's our only vehicle. I refuse to pay new prices on a used vehicle, and new inventory just doesn't seem to exist for anything that I really want. Which means I'd just off it for something else that has strong residual that I don't really want either.

Incredibly, I have a month to decide, so we'll see if/what pops up in that time. Maybe I should start a thread...I'll pull the trigger and even travel for the right vehicle/deal.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:35 pm
:lol: We all knew it was going to go exactly like this.
FWIW, if I couldn't make money, this would not be on the table. We legit really like the thing.
max225

I am surprised they lock it in for a month. Vroom gave me 5 days.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:49 pm I am surprised they lock it in for a month. Vroom gave me 5 days.
Same, and Vroom gave me 5 days yesterday when they offered me $30k.

I feel like the Carvana offer overall is an error. Between the insane value and the timeframe (1 mo), it all seems too good to be true.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:49 pm I am surprised they lock it in for a month. Vroom gave me 5 days.
It's a roll of the dice. I got multiple offers on the Corvette, some for a month, some a week (with Carvana, Vroom is five days). The offers also are a roller coaster ride, it is kind of odd.

@D-plac, this is kinda :butwhy: to me, if you 'love the thing' so much, why are you getting offers? :iono: $4K is cool and all, but are you really 'saving money' if you off this perfectly good vehicle to get the same thing but more mom-spec for 25% more money?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And like a thousand miles.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:06 pm
It's a roll of the dice. I got multiple offers on the Corvette, some for a month, some a week (with Carvana, Vroom is five days). The offers also are a roller coaster ride, it is kind of odd.

@D-plac, this is kinda :butwhy: to me, if you 'love the thing' so much, why are you getting offers? :iono: $4K is cool and all, but are you really 'saving money' if you off this perfectly good vehicle to get the same thing but more mom-spec for 25% more money?
Calling an Outback more mom spec than a Cross-Tranny is............splitting hairs. It's hard to lay off the :plac: as long as you can buy a new car at MSRP and these crazy buyers are giving you $4K more than you paid? It used to be if you drove a car off the lot it was lighting $5K (at least) on fire. This Covid fallout economy is weird as hell.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:06 pm

Calling an Outback more mom spec than a Cross-Tranny is............splitting hairs. It's hard to lay off the :plac: as long as you can buy a new car at MSRP and these crazy buyers are giving you $4K more than you paid? It used to be if you drove a car off the lot it was lighting $5K (at least) on fire. This Covid fallout economy is weird as hell.
I mean, it's not a terrible move by any means, but it isn't saving or making money, it's spending it.

If the Outback better suits their needs, it's :notbad: , the Wilderness is honestly dece. I just don't really seeing it as seizing some great opportunity unless you are making an N-1 move like yourself with the Corvette.

I could make money on both of our vehicles at the moment from the 'vana last I checked, but then what? Buy a new Wrangler for $10K more? Purchase a shitbox to replace the Beemah? Meh.