Strut your greasy stuff!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:34 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:55 am

Oh nice, so the shocks are available. :like:
Well, the inserts are available. So, I would need to disassemble the strut body and replace the insert.
Child's play for men like us.

Airboat Michaelangelo.
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Gladiatrice

Melon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Well, the inserts are available. So, I would need to disassemble the strut body and replace the insert.

That's terrifying.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

I have used ebay spring compressors on ebay springs NFG. :thisisfine:
Detroit

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:53 pm I have used ebay spring compressors on ebay springs NFG. :thisisfine:
I have ones I bought at HF and have used a number of times fine. But I make sure the threads are well lubricated and tighten both sides equally when using.

But notice how on that meme, there's' only one compressor. I'd never do that personally.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

:notwrong:

Those wood clamps also won't do shit vs a car spring. Memes are :fakenews: :doe:
Detroit

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:01 pm :notwrong:

Those wood clamps also won't do shit vs a car spring. Memes are :fakenews: :doe:
Exactly what makes it so terrifying to me.

Definitely a Russian Trollfarm operative infiltrating the car enthusiast market with that meme here.
Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Melon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:58 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:53 pm I have used ebay spring compressors on ebay springs NFG. :thisisfine:
I have ones I bought at HF and have used a number of times fine. But I make sure the threads are well lubricated and tighten both sides equally when using.

But notice how on that meme, there's' only one compressor. I'd never do that personally.
Yeah, stored energy in a compressed spring is no joke. For a strut spring, you need both compressors on, or else you're playing with sweating dynamite.
Zillon
Drives: Terrorist Taco / Jizz Rocket

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:58 pm

Yeah, stored energy in a compressed spring is no joke. For a strut spring, you need both compressors on, or else you're playing with sweating dynamite.
:dat:

Always 2 compressors.
Zildor the Liberal Cuck
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Bender wrote:Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.
Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

It's been a slow-going process with the motor. Needless to say, I still don't have it back yet. The machine shop called and said that they calculated the spring pressure at the specified 1.800" height to be around 200lbs, which is about 15lbs more than the max seat pressure that is specified for the Isky lifters I had purchased. Initially, when Howards gave me the spring part number and I saw that the seat pressure was rated at a 1.940" install height, I asked what the spring pressure would be at 1.800". The reply I received was 165-170lbs, which prompted me to buy the Isky lifters. Would the lifters be fine with 200lbs of seat pressure? Possibly, but if I have a failure, then Isky would certainly tell me to pound sand due to running too much seat pressure. So, I reached out to Howards to get a parts exchange, since they gave me bad information and I had the emails to back up their giving me bad information. They told me to pound sand and just return the parts to the vendor. So, all of those nice things I said about Howards earlier? Fuck 'em. That is the first and last time I will ever do business with them.

The machine shop said that they had a spring in mind as a replacement. I told them to give me the part number so I can try and do an exchange with the vendor. It was crickets after that. I asked a few more times, was told they would get back with me, and then more crickets. So, I started looking around for a new spring myself. At the same time, since I had sourced the parts through two different vendors on eBay, I reached out to them to see about exchanges. Autoplicity can also fuck right off, as they told me tough shit since I had bought the stuff more than 30 days ago. Performance Parts Racing, however, was very understanding and willing to work with me. They simply asked for pictures of the items as proof that they were still new and uninstalled. They even went so far as to source the new parts I needed since they were not an item that they kept in stock.

After looking at springs for a while, I settled on Isky 8005SP. I calculated the 1.800" pressure to be 181lbs and the open pressure to be 416lbs at .565" of lift. This also puts the spring within .070" of coil bind. I originally was going to use the Howards retainers and locks I had purchased, but decided to just go with all of Isky's stuff in case things didn't jive. Mostly, the diameter of the step was too different between the two retainers. The Howards retainer is at 1.005", while Isky's is at 1.015". It is another unfortunate incurred expense, but hopefully it is now corrected. Buy once, cry once...unless the manufacturer lies to you with bad information and then tells you to get fucked when you point out their mistake.

While I am waiting for the Isky parts to arrive, I have taken care of as much as I can without the motor in place. I'm going to be using an oil cooler, and cleaned up the factory oil cooler adapter for the engine. I cut off the flex lines and installed some 1/2" to -8AN compression fittings:

I pulled out the factory power steering cooler:

And replaced it with something that can be mounted in front of the condenser:

I got some 3/8" brake line and bent it into shape for routing to the steering rack:

The steering rack had used M12 banjo fittings originally. So, I found an M12 to -6AN steel fitting for the pressure port and an M12 to 3/8" barb fitting for the return port:

And then used a flex line to bridge between the body and the crossmember, keeping a disconnection point for when the crossmember needs to come out:

I also tidied up the wiring on the driver's side since the engine harness won't be passing through there. Porsche uses threaded studs welded to the body as mounting points for the wiring harness, instead of the usual drilled holes and wire clips. Basically, they secure the loom with a ziptie strap that screws onto the stud. Luckily, Panduit makes a part that works: PLST30SC-D30:
As you can see, the Spal fan is wired into the factory harness. I will be utilizing the stock relay and connecting the original trigger wires to the Holley for fan control.

The last thing I have done is compress the springs on the struts so I can test their functionality. The struts' ease of compression changes with the valving, so they appear to still be okay. Luckily, they are just Koni inserts, so I can simply order new ones down the line when the time comes. My plan is to install them once the motor is ready to go in since the suspension will have to come apart anyways.

I wish I had more to update, but it has been a rather infuriating process dealing with some of these vendors.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Interesting read, as usual. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?