Should airfare be more expensive?

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:29 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 pm :dat:

I'm a window seat guy and always lean away from the middle.
Yes. With over the ear don't-fucking-talk-to-me headphones.
but people still try to talk to you anyways

:triggered: :wtf:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:04 pm

I have to admit I've never heard this as a "rule" and I'm interested to observe compliance or lack thereof with this on future flights.
Frequent fliers are great about it. General public is about 50/50.
Why rely on unwritten "rules" instead of making the actual rules better?

To make up some numbers to illustrate the point:

Say that arm rests are 2" wide and seats are 18" wide, making 3 seats + 4 arm rests 62" wide. If each person is allowed to take up the seat and 2 arm rests, that's 22" per person. Put 3 together and you have 66" of people in a 62" space. How does that make sense? The policy itself should give you only the width of the seat (18" in this example, meaning people are guaranteed to have non-zero space between them) - or at least limit you to one arm rest (20" in this example, meaning people will most likely have non-zero space between them).

I suggest the smaller dimension being the rule because, just like with carry-ons, people will push and exceed the limits all of the time. Giving that buffer would make conflicts less likely.
Last edited by troyguitar on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:21 pm Fwiw I think there is a yugggeee difference depending on the airline. The big three have the most frequent flier and the experience with other travelers shows it. Southwest on some routes and times is :notbad: too.

Any airline on a "vacation route" is like the wild west.
:dat:

I avoid flying during spring break. 0 to :triggered: in about 3 seconds
:datass: :doe:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm

:dat:

I avoid flying during spring break. 0 to :triggered: in about 3 seconds
:datass: :doe:
meh - :datass: usually doesn't make up for their annoying presence - ponytails, seatshirts, and leggings everywhere. It's like the white girl travel uniform.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:43 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Say that arm rests are 2" wide and seats are 18" wide, making 3 seats + 4 arm rests 62" wide. If each person is allowed to take up the seat and 2 arm rests, that's 22" per person. Put 3 together and you have 66" of people in a 62" space. How does that make sense? The policy itself should give you only the width of the seat (18" in this example, meaning people are guaranteed to have non-zero space between them) - or at least limit you to one arm rest (20" in this example, meaning people will most likely have non-zero space between them).

I suggest the smaller dimension being the rule because, just like with carry-ons, people will push and exceed the limits all of the time. Giving that buffer would make conflicts less likely.
Real question, this seems like a non-problem to those of us that travel a lot. What happened that has you so :triggered:?
:dat: this is a 1 out of 10 occurence.

Also by that math, I'm pretty sure I'd need two seats because shoulder width.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:35 pm but people still try to talk to you anyways

:triggered: :wtf:
One of the most :triggered: things on the planet.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:39 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:36 pm

:mahtroy: only sits with perfect, symmetrical posture
like dis?
OMG that's a hilarious pic of :baby: :fax: .
:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Real question, this seems like a non-problem to those of us that travel a lot. What happened that has you so :triggered:?
I cannot remember being on a flight without being stuck with at least one arm up against me - or having to lean way the fuck over into the window if I'm in that seat.

Three 2018 flights so far:

1: Score, I got the window of a little 2-seat row where the aisle jogs over and legroom is big! Oh wait, the aisle seat is occupied by a YUUUGE dude. Probably 300+ lbs easy, does not fit in any way, shape, form. Even leaning into the window and twisting my torso to be even skinnier, I cannot escape him. He's also taking up a bunch of the aisle making life difficult for the flight attendants. Flight is full, what am I or they supposed to do? No one said anything to anyone, everyone just got to be annoyed for the whole flight.

2: Sweet, got an aisle seat. :wap: couple in the 2 remaining seats, they should be considerate and also comfortable being closer to each other and thus give me space despite being average 'murican sizes, right? Wrong. Fucker has his elbow stuck way the hell into my space while he reads some :bs: for 90% of the flight.

3: Middle, figures. Stuck between 2 DFD members like a :turboyaris: between 2 :truk: parked in "Compact Car Only" spaces. They need all of the arm rests and are still up against me on both sides. Worse, the fucker on the aisle is manspreading half the fucking time with his knee against mine.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

like dis?
Dead.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm
I cannot remember being on a flight without being stuck with at least one arm up against me - or having to lean way the fuck over into the window if I'm in that seat.

1: Score, I got the window of a little 2-seat row where the aisle jogs over and legroom is big! Oh wait, the aisle seat is occupied by a YUUUGE dude. Probably 300+ lbs easy, does not fit in any way, shape, form. Even leaning into the window and twisting my torso to be even skinnier, I cannot escape him. He's also taking up a bunch of the aisle making life difficult for the flight attendants. Flight is full, what am I or they supposed to do? No one said anything to anyone, everyone just got to be annoyed for the whole flight.

2: Sweet, got an aisle seat. :wap: couple in the 2 remaining seats, they should be considerate and also comfortable being closer to each other and thus give me space despite being average 'murican sizes, right? Wrong. Fucker has his elbow stuck way the hell into my space while he reads some :bs: for 90% of the flight.

3: Middle, figures. Stuck between 2 DFD members like a :turboyaris: between 2 :truk: parked in "Compact Car Only" spaces. They need all of the arm rests and are still up against me on both sides. Worse, the fucker on the aisle is manspreading half the fucking time with his knee against mine.
air travel sucks /bread
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm 2 and 3 were just jerks. Size has 0 to do with that.
:rolleyes:

People aren't going to magically decide to be considerate on their own, the only hope of eliminating shit behavior is to make rules against it. Unwritten "rules" empower assholes to break them with minimal to no consequences. Written rules empower everyone else.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm 2 and 3 were just jerks. Size has 0 to do with that.

People aren't going to magically decide to be considerate on their own, the only hope of eliminating shit behavior is to make rules against it. Unwritten "rules" empower assholes to break them with minimal to no consequences. Written rules empower everyone else.
Some people are just assholes Troy, and rules written or unwritten won't stop assholes from being assholes?

So what should the consequences be for someone invading your armrest? Turn the plane around and toss them off the plane? Ticket or arrest them when they land? Ban them from flying ever again?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:18 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm

I would prefer to be inconvenienced for a few hours by rude co-passengers than to fly in a police state. When you REALLY think about the downstream consequences I suspect you would agree too.
We already have dimensions that passengers are (supposedly) required to fit within, I'm merely suggesting that they be reduced to numbers that actually fit. Allowing 66" of people to fit in a 62" space makes no sense. How is this unreasonable?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm People aren't going to magically decide to be considerate on their own, the only hope of eliminating shit behavior is to make rules against it. Unwritten "rules" empower assholes to break them with minimal to no consequences. Written rules empower everyone else.
Have you tried, you know, using polite words?

Expecting rules for every life situation... ugh. No.
troyguitar

stripethree wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm People aren't going to magically decide to be considerate on their own, the only hope of eliminating shit behavior is to make rules against it. Unwritten "rules" empower assholes to break them with minimal to no consequences. Written rules empower everyone else.
Have you tried, you know, using polite words?

Expecting rules for every life situation... ugh. No.
Again: These rules already exist. They merely should be trimmed a bit to make sense.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pmAgain: These rules already exist. They merely should be trimmed a bit to make sense.
If they are unwritten, then they don't "exist" for everyone because... people don't know. :mindblown:
troyguitar

stripethree wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pmAgain: These rules already exist. They merely should be trimmed a bit to make sense.
If they are unwritten, then they don't "exist" for everyone because... people don't know. :mindblown:
I'm talking about the rules that are already written... Airline policies exist.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:28 pm I'm talking about the rules that are already written... Airline policies exist.
Policies exist on airlines about who gets what armrests? :idbu:
troyguitar

stripethree wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:28 pm I'm talking about the rules that are already written... Airline policies exist.
Policies exist on airlines about who gets what armrests? :idbu:
They exist regarding how wide you can be... and use the arm rests as a reference.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I'll make sure this fatass buys two seats, and doesn't hog the arm rests.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:bravo: :lolgasm: :bravo:

I laughed. Troy your rant on this subject is definitely one of your top 10.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

The price of airboats is too damn high.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 pm
dubshow wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 pm The price of airboats is too damn high.
Sounds like the perfect use of a Pay Day loan.
Nah. Just use one Ray Ray loan.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

like dis?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
:lolol: :fax: :lolol: