YOU CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO READ THIS THREAD!!! TRAVEL DEALZZZ

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:52 am Also, got this :dill: this morning from Iceland Air:

http://www.icelandair.us/special-offer/ ... land_email

Someone should :doit:
that's a steal! That's like DC to Los Angeles.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 am
wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:52 am Also, got this :dill: this morning from Iceland Air:

Yup!
Cheapest flight to Europe by far. Plus, they usually have good fares from Reykjavik to other European capitals, so you could fly to Reykjavik, stay a few days, then go on to another country in Europe all for roughly the same price as flying to that Euro destination direct.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:20 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 am

Yup!
Cheapest flight to Europe by far. Plus, they usually have good fares from Reykjavik to other European capitals, so you could fly to Reykjavik, stay a few days, then go on to another country in Europe all for roughly the same price as flying to that Euro destination direct.
I'm considering to go there one day, probably around christmas time, maybe next year. Also go to london on top of it, explore the countryside around it. So Reykjavik london and back roundtrip, then back to dc,jfk,philly using that round trip :notbad:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:37 am
wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:20 am

Yup!
I'm considering to go there one day, probably around christmas time, maybe next year. Also go to london on top of it, explore the countryside around it. So Reykjavik london and back roundtrip, then back to dc,jfk,philly using that round trip :notbad:
That sounds like a 5/7 itinerary. You only need about 3-4 days in Iceland and, if you can swing it, 4-5 days in London to see most of the major highlights. Of course, more time is always better but it starts to get :waxer: as London is not a cheap city.
wap

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am

That sounds like a 5/7 itinerary. You only need about 3-4 days in Iceland and, if you can swing it, 4-5 days in London to see most of the major highlights. Of course, more time is always better but it starts to get :waxer: as London is not a cheap city.
Also, dat Blue Lagoon pic :megusta:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I much more care about flight prices than in the destination price itself, but not throwing away money like Trump. I pretty much plan to see the popular sights, parts of North and northeast london is essentially a turkish community. Also I hear stonehedge is roughly an hour, probably rent a car for couple days to go into suburbs and the like. Until then, I'll just do more homework on those certain areas.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:42 am

I much more care about flight prices than in the destination price itself, but not throwing away money like Trump. I pretty much plan to see the popular sights, parts of North and northeast london is essentially a turkish community. Also I hear stonehedge is roughly an hour, probably rent a car for couple days to go into suburbs and the like. Until then, I'll just do more homework on those certain areas.
:word:
Stonehenge is around 2.5 hours west of London, still within an easy drive. There are also buses you can take, tour buses, too.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:42 am

Stonehenge is around 2.5 hours west of London, still within an easy drive. There are also buses you can take, tour buses, too.
That's true, Europe is always more convenient with public transport, especially on longer distances than Murica. I also wanted to see what it feels like to shift on left hand :lol:
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:56 am
wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 am

That's true, Europe is always more convenient with public transport, especially on longer distances than Murica. I also wanted to see what it feels like to shift on left hand :lol:
Yea that that seems so weird to me. My brother did it in Ireland and Cyprus (when the fuck are you people getting out of there, by the way??) and he says you get used to it pretty quickly.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:22 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:56 am

Yea that that seems so weird to me. My brother did it in Ireland and Cyprus (when the fuck are you people getting out of there, by the way??) and he says you get used to it pretty quickly.
from cyprus? I really have no idea. I haven't heard one media discussion about it atleast for the last 10 years. I also wanted to visit cyprus as well, I had a friend went there few years back and he said he loved it.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:01 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:22 pm

from cyprus? I really have no idea. I haven't heard one media discussion about it atleast for the last 10 years. I also wanted to visit cyprus as well, I had a friend went there few years back and he said he loved it.
Yea, Cyprus. Turkey should :gtfo: already.
My brother had a great time there. Actually spent part of his honeymoon there.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:25 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:01 pm

I just learned and found out reason why Turkey ended up there in the first place was that they invaded it 40 years ago. Never learned anything about that other than the fact that it exists there, essentially pushing the greeks out. That is news to me.

Speaking of which, Erdogan will lose his shit when Kurdistan will officially become a country.

That sounds like a good place to do mine, I'm thinking on a greek island, probably Rhodes. My friend there just got married and they just came back from paros for their honeymoon.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:41 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:25 pm

I just learned and found out reason why Turkey ended up there in the first place was that they invaded it 40 years ago. Never learned anything about that other than the fact that it exists there, essentially pushing the greeks out. That is news to me.

Speaking of which, Erdogan will lose his shit when Kurdistan will officially become a country.

That sounds like a good place to do mine, I'm thinking on a greek island, probably Rhodes. My friend there just got married and they just came back from paros for their honeymoon.
Not surprised that they didn't teach you about that in school. They had some justification to invade in the first place but no real reason to still be there 44 years later.

Wait, Kurdistan will officially become a country? When was that decided and when will it happen?

Rhodes is great. It's got nice beaches, ancient, Byzantine, and medieval ruins, and you can fly there from Athens and probably other cities, too.

I spent a few hours in Paros once. It's nice. Basically your quintessential Cycladic Aegean Greek Island.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:10 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Not surprised that they didn't teach you about that in school. They had some justification to invade in the first place but no real reason to still be there 44 years later.

Wait, Kurdistan will officially become a country? When was that decided and when will it happen?

Rhodes is great. It's got nice beaches, ancient, Byzantine, and medieval ruins, and you can fly there from Athens and probably other cities, too.

I spent a few hours in Paros once. It's nice. Basically your quintessential Cycladic Aegean Greek Island.
I'm also glad that I didn't really pay attention or cared as much when I was in school in Turkey (moved to US in 5th grade), I learned that they brainwash students about the Armenian genocide and actually blamed Armenians themselves. Luckily Erdogan apologized when the Genocide reached it's 100th year anniversary. Speaking of him, he recently erased Ataturk from the history books :sad:

For Kurdistan, if the referandum says yes (last I checked 92%), then Kurdistan will become a country, but Turkey will not lose any land. Just north of Iraq and Northwestern part of Iran. Within 3 weeks from now will be interesting with how Erdogan will react to that. It got onto media probably 2 weeks ago.

You have told me that about Rhodes with ruins not too long ago on here actually. I was always curious about that place when I first saw it in the map. I'll probably find some boat access from Turkey, like I did with Samos.

I have a lot of "exploring" to do on those Greek islands. I took a look on some, and some instagram stories from Turkish friends visiting there, making me feel like this
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:10 pm

I'm also glad that I didn't really pay attention or cared as much when I was in school in Turkey (moved to US in 5th grade), I learned that they brainwash students about the Armenian genocide and actually blamed Armenians themselves. Luckily Erdogan apologized when the Genocide reached it's 100th year anniversary. Speaking of him, he recently erased Ataturk from the history books :sad:

For Kurdistan, if the referandum says yes (last I checked 92%), then Kurdistan will become a country, but Turkey will not lose any land. Just north of Iraq and Northwestern part of Iran. Within 3 weeks from now will be interesting with how Erdogan will react to that. It got onto media probably 2 weeks ago.

You have told me that about Rhodes with ruins not too long ago on here actually. I was always curious about that place when I first saw it in the map. I'll probably find some boat access from Turkey, like I did with Samos.

I have a lot of "exploring" to do on those Greek islands. I took a look on some, and some instagram stories from Turkish friends visiting there, making me feel like this
Wow, it will be very interesting to see what he does if Kurdistan becomes a country. And Iraq and Iran are ok with this?

Oh yes, Rhodes is very close to the Turkish coast. I actually saw Turkey from Rhodes so a boat ride would be a 5/7 way of getting there.

Yea, tons of Greek islands to visit and explore. Santorini is :mindblown: beautiful but go after Labor day when all the tourists and students leave. Naxos is very 5/7 too. Can't really go wrong with any of them. :like:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:34 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Wow, it will be very interesting to see what he does if Kurdistan becomes a country. And Iraq and Iran are ok with this?

Oh yes, Rhodes is very close to the Turkish coast. I actually saw Turkey from Rhodes so a boat ride would be a 5/7 way of getting there.

Yea, tons of Greek islands to visit and explore. Santorini is :mindblown: beautiful but go after Labor day when all the tourists and students leave. Naxos is very 5/7 too. Can't really go wrong with any of them. :like:
I actually almost forgot about Naxos and Santorini, santorini is like the mila kunis of islands, that's on the bucket list.
I know the times. Early september/late august is eid, so it will be like a labor day for them. Turkey has much more holidays than we do here. So it will be mostly filled with turks rather than germans get ripped off at hotels or turkish germans that driver their e class and 5 series wagons with yakima roof storage, since they can't drive to the islands nor willing to take ferry.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:43 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:34 pm

I actually almost forgot about Naxos and Santorini, santorini is like the mila kunis of islands, that's on the bucket list.
I know the times. Early september/late august is eid, so it will be like a labor day for them. Turkey has much more holidays than we do here. So it will be mostly filled with turks rather than germans get ripped off at hotels or turkish germans that driver their e class and 5 series wagons with yakima roof storage, since they can't drive to the islands nor willing to take ferry.
:lol: Yup!
And agreed with the bolded. :jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:42 am So is it just $499 for the both of you? Is that all inclusive minus maybe booze?

Legit :impressive: I've always wondered about those super :dill: cruises and what the end result actually is.
Yep. $499 per cabin and that includes a booze package and $300 on board credit. Now, we upgraded a bit to a cabin with a better location on the ship so that plus taxes put the total at about another $100 or so, so about $600-ish all in which is still a :fuckyeah: deal when you consider that we're getting $300 of onboard ship credit, a drinks package of unlimited booze :drunk: for drinks under $8 (so lower tier liquers :whocares: ) and all tips are included. A higher end booze upgrade to top tier liquers is available for another $15/person/day. Wife wants to do it. We can charge it to our $300 on board credit.

We're driving down there so another 3-4 hundred bucks for gas and hotels, which is much cheaper and more enjoyable than flying. :notbad:
Wow. Legit 5/7. Where does the ship leave from?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I wish they flew out of Detroit.

But that super low fare airline from Iceland just announced service from Detroit...so we'll probably try a few days in Iceland once that starts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:13 pm I don't understand this thread. Don't you guys just use work points?
:bravo:
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:59 am
wap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 am

Yep. $499 per cabin and that includes a booze package and $300 on board credit. Now, we upgraded a bit to a cabin with a better location on the ship so that plus taxes put the total at about another $100 or so, so about $600-ish all in which is still a :fuckyeah: deal when you consider that we're getting $300 of onboard ship credit, a drinks package of unlimited booze :drunk: for drinks under $8 (so lower tier liquers :whocares: ) and all tips are included. A higher end booze upgrade to top tier liquers is available for another $15/person/day. Wife wants to do it. We can charge it to our $300 on board credit.

We're driving down there so another 3-4 hundred bucks for gas and hotels, which is much cheaper and more enjoyable than flying. :notbad:
Wow. Legit 5/7. Where does the ship leave from?
Ft. Lauderdale. It leaves Monday morning which gives us all day Saturday and Sunday to drive down there. Then it arrives back in FT.L the following Saturday morning which gives us most of Saturday and all day Sunday to drive home. It's really the ideal itinerary for driving to the port because I don't need to take any additional days off work for the drive. Though I am taking the Monday after we get home off just because.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:01 am

But that super low fare airline from Iceland just announced service from Detroit...so we'll probably try a few days in Iceland once that starts.
Cool.
In4impressions.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Emirates recently had a deal from Newark to Athens for $360 RT.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:01 am

referring to WOW airlines?

They started flying out of Newark, never have I found them fly for anywhere near their advertised prices. I was excited when they announced Newark as a new destination, but never found any good deals with them yet.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:06 pm
09vdubgti wrote:
referring to WOW airlines?

They started flying out of Newark, never have I found them fly for anywhere near their advertised prices. I was excited when they announced Newark as a new destination, but never found any good deals with them yet.
Probably Icelandair. They are great but on the verge of bankruptcy.
Wow, I hope not. I have some friends who are employed by them.