YOU CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO READ THIS THREAD!!! TRAVEL DEALZZZ

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The problem with those deals is you have to be close to MAJOR airports like NY, Chicago, etc. If you live in the middle of nowhere like I do, you're paying triple, maybe more. We've run into this far too often.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:11 pm The problem with those deals is you have to be close to MAJOR airports like NY, Chicago, etc. If you live in the middle of nowhere like I do, you're paying triple, maybe more. We've run into this far too often.
I mean it wasn't triple, but it was 67% more at $2000 instead of $1200.

I'm in an unfortunate spot because I want to go to a specific place, not just "whatever's on sale" because we're only doing one trip and that's it. No picking another destination next year... and after 10 years (off and on) of studying French in school, I'm not going anywhere but France.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:11 pm The problem with those deals is you have to be close to MAJOR airports like NY, Chicago, etc. If you live in the middle of nowhere like I do, you're paying triple, maybe more. We've run into this far too often.

I'm in an unfortunate spot because I want to go to a specific place, not just "whatever's on sale" because we're only doing one trip and that's it. No picking another destination next year... and after 10 years (off and on) of studying French in school, I'm not going anywhere but France.
Why not just plan more trips? Do them more frequently for less money? If you book far in advance, you can get solid deals on airfare and have time to plan out a balanced itinerary that allows you to :waxer: some days and :scrooge: others for an overall :fuckyeah: time.

Sure, you can do last minute things, but they're rarely the advertised deal I've found. It's fucking expensive to fly out of Detroit (I'm sure KY is the same), and driving 4 hours before or after the flight to get to Toronto or Chicago, plus the cost of parking eats up any savings. But planning ahead can be ok. We got a solid deal on our airfare to Frankfurt in December.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Why not just plan more trips? Do them more frequently for less money? If you book far in advance, you can get solid deals on airfare and have time to plan out a balanced itinerary that allows you to :waxer: some days and :scrooge: others for an overall :fuckyeah: time.

Sure, you can do last minute things, but they're rarely the advertised deal I've found. It's fucking expensive to fly out of Detroit (I'm sure KY is the same), and driving 4 hours before or after the flight to get to Toronto or Chicago, plus the cost of parking eats up any savings. But planning ahead can be ok. We got a solid deal on our airfare to Frankfurt in December.
Maybe in 20 years we'll do more trips, but in the foreseeable future I'd rather go where I actually want to go (and have fucking studied my ass off to learn about) and do it right one time than do 2-3 smaller trips elsewhere. I don't know Italian or Spanish. Yes those places are interesting, but I'm not already invested in them. Remember: 20 years is the retirement goal. We shouldn't even take this one trip, but YOLO and all... plus I view it as a research trip to help decide whether I want to try to retire to Europe.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

True, true. I'm lucky in that respect. There's usually a small-ish upcharge to fly to Europe over NYC, but it's usually < $100.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

:word:
I'll keep my eyes open for France :dill: s, but will still post other :dill: s in case anyone else is interested.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 pm

I'll keep my eyes open for France :dill: s, but will still post other :dill: s in case anyone else is interested.
I'm not traveling out of country for a bit, but I do enjoy looking at the :dill: s you post.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 pm
True, true. I'm lucky in that respect. There's usually a small-ish upcharge to fly to Europe over NYC, but it's usually < $100.
Most :dill: s are great from Boston, NY, Toronto, and Chicago for some reason, like you said...maybe a $100 or so difference to Chicago. We always consider driving to Chicago or Toronto (both 4 hr away), but man...that's just tough before/after spending 8-10 hours on a plane PLUS the cost of parking really eats into the savings.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:43 am

Most :dill: s are great from Boston, NY, Toronto, and Chicago for some reason, like you said...maybe a $100 or so difference to Chicago. We always consider driving to Chicago or Toronto (both 4 hr away), but man...that's just tough before/after spending 8-10 hours on a plane PLUS the cost of parking really eats into the savings.
Instead of parking, what's a car service/uber/lyft cost to get you to the airport? :iono:
troyguitar

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 pm
Instead of parking, what's a car service/uber/lyft cost to get you to the airport? :iono:
For a 4 hour drive?

wap

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 am
wap wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm not traveling out of country for a bit, but I do enjoy looking at the :dill: s you post.
:fuckyeah:
wap

You almost have to incorporate an overnight or weekend stay in Chicago or Toronto into your trip and treat it as part of your vacay to make it work, and that can sometimes be :fullretard:

Alternately, would Amtrak work? I know there is service from Detroit to Chicago, then you can taxi or Lyft to O'Hare. Would still be several hours of overland travel, but it would negate the need to park your car at the airport.

In retrospect, that's probably a shitty idea. NVM
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 pm
You almost have to incorporate an overnight or weekend stay in Chicago or Toronto into your trip and treat it as part of your vacay to make it work, and that can sometimes be :fullretard:

Alternately, would Amtrak work? I know there is service from Detroit to Chicago, then you can taxi or Lyft to O'Hare. Would still be several hours of overland travel, but it would negate the need to park your car at the airport.

Oh no, we definitely looked into amtrak. But it's surprisingly expensive...gas and parking is cheaper. The only benefit is being able to tune-out or nap during the trip...but it seems like the neared Amtrak stop isn't even remotely close to O'Hare...which adds a whole new layer of cost and :rage:

I just gotta deal with paying more to travel. There's no way around it.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:41 am
wap wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Oh no, we definitely looked into amtrak. But it's surprisingly expensive...gas and parking is cheaper. The only benefit is being able to tune-out or nap during the trip...but it seems like the neared Amtrak stop isn't even remotely close to O'Hare...which adds a whole new layer of cost and :rage:

I just gotta deal with paying more to travel. There's no way around it.
Yea Union Station is down town so you'd need to taxi or Lyft to O'Hare. :mindblown: that Amtrak is so :waxer:
troyguitar

Trains have to be seen as vacations themselves, they're too :waxer: to be considered for transportation.

ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:43 pm Trains have to be seen as vacations themselves, they're too :waxer: to be considered for transportation.

:dat:

5/7 would do a train vacation, doe. There's one that goes from Chicago to Seattle and back. Would be awesome.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:43 pm Trains have to be seen as vacations themselves, they're too :waxer: to be considered for transportation.

:dat:

5/7 would do a train vacation, doe. There's one that goes from Chicago to Seattle and back. Would be awesome.
Something like that would be awesome to check out.
troyguitar

Yeah I looked into taking a train from Detroit to Montreal IIRC, seemed like it could be fun. Too many other things I'd rather do first :doe:
wap

There are vacation packages that combine air and rail so you can take the train in one direction and fly the other way.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:21 pm There are vacation packages that combine air and rail so you can take the train in one direction and fly the other way.
5/7
wap

wap

Also, wife just booked us on a cruise next December on Celebrity for a great :dill:
5 nights starting at $499/cabin with $300 on board credit per cabin, a drinks package, and paid tips. These extras easily pay for 1 person.
ChrisoftheNorth

So is it just $499 for the both of you? Is that all inclusive minus maybe booze?

Legit :impressive: I've always wondered about those super :dill: cruises and what the end result actually is.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:42 am So is it just $499 for the both of you? Is that all inclusive minus maybe booze?

Legit :impressive: I've always wondered about those super :dill: cruises and what the end result actually is.
Yep. $499 per cabin and that includes a booze package and $300 on board credit. Now, we upgraded a bit to a cabin with a better location on the ship so that plus taxes put the total at about another $100 or so, so about $600-ish all in which is still a :fuckyeah: deal when you consider that we're getting $300 of onboard ship credit, a drinks package of unlimited booze :drunk: for drinks under $8 (so lower tier liquers :whocares: ) and all tips are included. A higher end booze upgrade to top tier liquers is available for another $15/person/day. Wife wants to do it. We can charge it to our $300 on board credit.

We're driving down there so another 3-4 hundred bucks for gas and hotels, which is much cheaper and more enjoyable than flying. :notbad:
wap

Also, got this :dill: this morning from Iceland Air:

http://www.icelandair.us/special-offer/ ... land_email

Someone should :doit: