Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That's a good point, there are a lot more stop signs and red lights down here even though there are no hills. Up north I could often ride for over an hour flat out without any stops. The wind feels about the same (i.e. 10+ mph at all times so far) but at least it's not an icy wind.

Crossing bridges in the wind is a little nerve-wracking. I already don't like heights, so that's the big adjustment I need to make.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:39 pm That's a good point, there are a lot more stop signs and red lights down here even though there are no hills. Up north I could often ride for over an hour flat out without any stops. The wind feels about the same (i.e. 10+ mph at all times so far) but at least it's not an icy wind.

Crossing bridges in the wind is a little nerve-wracking. I already don't like heights, so that's the big adjustment I need to make.
Yep, I am a lot faster in the country in general.

Bridges scare the shit out of me for some reason. I always love the idea of riding over the water but get all :pussy: when the rubber meets the road.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:39 pm That's a good point, there are a lot more stop signs and red lights down here even though there are no hills. Up north I could often ride for over an hour flat out without any stops. The wind feels about the same (i.e. 10+ mph at all times so far) but at least it's not an icy wind.

Bridges scare the shit out of me for some reason. I always love the idea of riding over the water but get all :pussy: when the rubber meets the road.
I badly need to do a group ride out in the sticks to see if it's something I could get into. The Peloton makes me want a roadie, but then I think back to when I had one and I never used the thing. Really not feeling like dropping the coin on a decent roadie just to ride by myself and still wind up finding it incredibly boring.

In other news, those power zone endurance classes are frustrating. Zone 2 -> 3 -> 2 -> 3 and on and on. So frustrating, I just want to GO. *trust the process, trust the process, trust the process*
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am
D Griff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 pm

I badly need to do a group ride out in the sticks to see if it's something I could get into. The Peloton makes me want a roadie, but then I think back to when I had one and I never used the thing. Really not feeling like dropping the coin on a decent roadie just to ride by myself and still wind up finding it incredibly boring.

In other news, those power zone endurance classes are frustrating. Zone 2 -> 3 -> 2 -> 3 and on and on. So frustrating, I just want to GO. *trust the process, trust the process, trust the process*
See, power zone endurance stuff would be less boring outside, or at least it is to me. You may just not be an endurance guy though, I can certainly understand why it is boring to some, it's a lot of time in the saddle. I don't see myself doing many rides around here over two hours solo moving forward (I did this a lot last year). If it's new scenery, sure. Otherwise, past that, group stuff is more enjoyable, or 1-2 hour solo rides.

Is your area pretty much flat? I can see where flat riding in suburbs without much to look at would be particularly boring. There are some nice roads around here once you're out of town just a bit. While climbing can suck, overall I think elevation change adds a lot more interest to cycling, road or trail.
troyguitar

I liked the low intensity indoor rides, just throw on some tv and chill out. Especially with the trainer automatically adjusting the resistance you never need to think about watts or zones or anything. Now we have no space for the trainer, sadly - unless I set it up outside which seems :fullretard:

Outside I'm way more comfortable alone than near others, that one is going to take a long time before it's not stressful mentally and physically. I'm too weak to join the people under ~60 years old too, so the groups I've seen are :okboomer: :thankstrump: folks who have been together for years... not exactly my idea of fun. There are probably tons of other groups :doe:

What I have no interest in is driving the car to and from the start of any bike rides. Dunno how y'all put up with that.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 am See, power zone endurance stuff would be less boring outside, or at least it is to me. You may just not be an endurance guy though, I can certainly understand why it is boring to some, it's a lot of time in the saddle. I don't see myself doing many rides around here over two hours solo moving forward (I did this a lot last year). If it's new scenery, sure. Otherwise, past that, group stuff is more enjoyable, or 1-2 hour solo rides.

Is your area pretty much flat? I can see where flat riding in suburbs without much to look at would be particularly boring. There are some nice roads around here once you're out of town just a bit. While climbing can suck, overall I think elevation change adds a lot more interest to cycling, road or trail.
I'm definitely not an endurance person. The only sport I've ever played seriously is hockey, and while being a goaltender definitely requires some endurance, it's almost exclusively a fast-twitch game. I probably didn't run more than one mile at a time until I was in my mid 20s. Plyos, lifting, and sprints, in that order, and that was it.

Where I live is totally flat and completely devoid of scenery, unless you like cornfields and the occasional tree line between farms. :disgust: Why do I live here?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:50 am I liked the low intensity indoor rides, just throw on some tv and chill out. Especially with the trainer automatically adjusting the resistance you never need to think about watts or zones or anything. Now we have no space for the trainer, sadly - unless I set it up outside which seems :fullretard:

Outside I'm way more comfortable alone than near others, that one is going to take a long time before it's not stressful mentally and physically. I'm too weak to join the people under ~60 years old too, so the groups I've seen are :okboomer: :thankstrump: folks who have been together for years... not exactly my idea of fun. There are probably tons of other groups :doe:

What I have no interest in is driving the car to and from the start of any bike rides. Dunno how y'all put up with that.
Yeah, I agree. I do it some, but it feels so stupid, particularly if it's not something special. I don't mind driving to the mountains to make a day out of it, but just an hour in the car commuting to some other local spot is rather :rage: to me, such a waste of time/pollution. I've noticed a lot of people I ride with almost always drive to every ride/only do group rides. :iono: I can't really get down with that. One of the reasons I was attracted to cycling to begin with was to lower my footprint on the planet, and yet, hundreds of people are driving :truk: /SUV all over Charlotte every day just to ride their bikes and literally never use their bikes instead of their cars to do anything, because who rides to work on a $7K dentist bike?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 am
D Griff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 am See, power zone endurance stuff would be less boring outside, or at least it is to me. You may just not be an endurance guy though, I can certainly understand why it is boring to some, it's a lot of time in the saddle. I don't see myself doing many rides around here over two hours solo moving forward (I did this a lot last year). If it's new scenery, sure. Otherwise, past that, group stuff is more enjoyable, or 1-2 hour solo rides.

I'm definitely not an endurance person. The only sport I've ever played seriously is hockey, and while being a goaltender definitely requires some endurance, it's almost exclusively a fast-twitch game. I probably didn't run more than one mile at a time until I was in my mid 20s. Plyos, lifting, and sprints, in that order, and that was it.

Where I live is totally flat and completely devoid of scenery, unless you like cornfields and the occasional tree line between farms. :disgust: Why do I live here?
:disappoint:

Given all that I think you would still probably find a roadie boring. Maybe find some slow-ish group rides and just go on your MTB with the shocks locked out to try it before :troywax: on a bike? Or just get an old steel bike and show up everyone on :fancy: bikes like I used to do.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:32 pm
coogles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 am

:disappoint:

Given all that I think you would still probably find a roadie boring. Maybe find some slow-ish group rides and just go on your MTB with the shocks locked out to try it before :troywax: on a bike? Or just get an old steel bike and show up everyone on :fancy: bikes like I used to do.
I'm rather starting to enjoy the sufferfest aspect of Pelotoning and would like to see that translated into actually being fast on a road bike. If I could ride in a group or even with one other person I definitely think I'd like it more. I sold my CAAD10 for a measly $600 or so a few years ago...I'd love to have it back, throw some 25s or 28s on it and see how I do. Finding a decent bike for that money is next to impossibru these days, doe.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:32 pm :disappoint:

I'm rather starting to enjoy the sufferfest aspect of Pelotoning and would like to see that translated into actually being fast on a road bike. If I could ride in a group or even with one other person I definitely think I'd like it more. I sold my CAAD10 for a measly $600 or so a few years ago...I'd love to have it back, throw some 25s or 28s on it and see how I do. Finding a decent bike for that money is next to impossibru these days, doe.
Eh, mine was $500 and the wife’s was $300. Each needed good tires and maybe a cable replacement, it's fairly easy to find bikes if you don't need disc brakes or thru-axles - and especially if you don't need tires wider than 25 or 28 mm.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 pm Eh, mine was $500 and the wife’s was $300. Each needed good tires and maybe a cable replacement, it's fairly easy to find bikes if you don't need disc brakes or thru-axles - and especially if you don't need tires wider than 25 or 28 mm.
There isn't much on craigslist near me in that range. May have to restart the Facebook account to see what's in the marketplace. That's really not something I want to do, though. :disgust:
troyguitar

FB is sadly what's being used these days.

I also drove 2 hrs to get my bike :doe: which most people are unwilling to do. :iono:
troyguitar

Go buy this for $200:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 109633349/

2017 Liv Avail 3 in "S" or 52.5cm. Put good tires on and be done.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 pm Go buy this for $200:

I fit a 56, or at least something with a ~56cm top tube. Thanks, though!
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I guess I can post in here now that I have a peloton?
:therapist:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Calvinball wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 pm I guess I can post in here now that I have a peloton?
How long did that take to get delivered?
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 pm Go buy this for $200:

Oh I thought you were short? Doh.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:00 pm
coogles wrote:
Oh I thought you were short? Doh.
5’10”, so pretty short. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 pm Eh, mine was $500 and the wife’s was $300. Each needed good tires and maybe a cable replacement, it's fairly easy to find bikes if you don't need disc brakes or thru-axles - and especially if you don't need tires wider than 25 or 28 mm.
There isn't much on craigslist near me in that range. May have to restart the Facebook account to see what's in the marketplace. That's really not something I want to do, though. :disgust:
Yeah FB Marketplace is the thing now :disgust:

I never realized Craigslist was so professional until FBM came into the mix. :disappoint:
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:00 pm Oh I thought you were short? Doh.
Nah I must have been thinking about someone else, I thought you were like 5'8" or shorter. Look at 54s too IMO unless you've already tried some. Worst case you change the stem or flip it upside down... I'm 5'9" and my bikes are 51 and 52cm.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm
coogles wrote:
Nah I must have been thinking about someone else, I thought you were like 5'8" or shorter. Look at 54s too IMO unless you've already tried some. Worst case you change the stem or flip it upside down... I'm 5'9" and my bikes are 51 and 52cm.
:dat: I am over 6'1" and ride a 57 CM. My vintage roadie is much larger and it sucks, I would gravitate towards something that you're on the taller end of the range for.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm
coogles wrote:
My CAAD10 was a 54, I can definitely make them work, but at least on that bike it took some fiddling. With the original stem I felt like the bars were way too close to my knees and I had a hard time even turning the damn thing, and the drop to the bars was significant even with all of the spacers still on it. I had to run a longer stem to get the bars out away from my legs, so the reach was about the same as on the 56 with the factory stem, but now with the increased drop to the bars I felt pretty laid out on it even on the hoods. The drops were totally unusable. With a riser stem it probably would have been okay. When I test-rode a 56cm Emonda last year it was a total Goldilocks moment, though, it felt perfect.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:30 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:50 am I liked the low intensity indoor rides, just throw on some tv and chill out. Especially with the trainer automatically adjusting the resistance you never need to think about watts or zones or anything. Now we have no space for the trainer, sadly - unless I set it up outside which seems :fullretard:

Yeah, I agree. I do it some, but it feels so stupid, particularly if it's not something special. I don't mind driving to the mountains to make a day out of it, but just an hour in the car commuting to some other local spot is rather :rage: to me, such a waste of time/pollution. I've noticed a lot of people I ride with almost always drive to every ride/only do group rides. :iono: I can't really get down with that. One of the reasons I was attracted to cycling to begin with was to lower my footprint on the planet, and yet, hundreds of people are driving :truk: /SUV all over Charlotte every day just to ride their bikes and literally never use their bikes instead of their cars to do anything, because who rides to work on a $7K dentist bike?
This is why I ride my CX bike everywhere and leave the MTB to rot for 2 years. I hate driving to a bike ride. Everyone I know who bikes in Philly just rides their bike to the meetup point and goes from there.

My CX bike might be my favorite thing I’ve ever owned.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Calvinball wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 pm I guess I can post in here now that I have a peloton?
:fancy:

Outside is best :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm Nah I must have been thinking about someone else, I thought you were like 5'8" or shorter. Look at 54s too IMO unless you've already tried some. Worst case you change the stem or flip it upside down... I'm 5'9" and my bikes are 51 and 52cm.
My CAAD10 was a 54, I can definitely make them work, but at least on that bike it took some fiddling. With the original stem I felt like the bars were way too close to my knees and I had a hard time even turning the damn thing, and the drop to the bars was significant even with all of the spacers still on it. I had to run a longer stem to get the bars out away from my legs, so the reach was about the same as on the 56 with the factory stem, but now with the increased drop to the bars I felt pretty laid out on it even on the hoods. The drops were totally unusable. With a riser stem it probably would have been okay. When I test-rode a 56cm Emonda last year it was a total Goldilocks moment, though, it felt perfect.
:word:

At the end of the day, whatever feels good is good. I have really short/small legs for someone of my size, so sizing is a bit different for me.