Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:23 pm Dang, I need to fix up my MTB.
:waiting:
Biggest thing is the bushing for the rear shock. There's a million different sizes, and I'm not even sure how to start measuring. Gotta buy some calipers, and I'm lazy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Dang, I'll take some photos and use DFD genius to maximize the rebuild.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:52 pm

Biggest thing is the bushing for the rear shock. There's a million different sizes, and I'm not even sure how to start measuring. Gotta buy some calipers, and I'm lazy.
You could always drop it off at a shop, you have JLU :plac: / actual profit to :troywax:

Whatever it takes to get on the trails sooner.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:03 pm
You could always drop it off at a shop, you have JLU :plac: / actual profit to :troywax:

A $20 job becomes $200 in that case. The bike is a POS, really not worth putting money into, but new bikes are unobtainium so I'll make this one work.

I'm a month away from good trail riding weather, so I have time. Plus a project would be nice, just wish it was a bit more straight forward.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:10 pm
A $20 job becomes $200 in that case. The bike is a POS, really not worth putting money into, but new bikes are unobtainium so I'll make this one work.

I'm a month away from good trail riding weather, so I have time. Plus a project would be nice, just wish it was a bit more straight forward.
Just call the manufacturer and figger it oot.
It's a Giant, which could be good or bad.

2010 Giant Trance X2, I've tried researching and can't find anything definitive. I figured calling them would result in them sending me to a :dillerman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:03 pm

:word:

I dropped like $550 on stuff for my bike that is probably worth $500 :ohwell:

I mean, it beats whatever I could buy for $1K bike-wise, if I could find anything at all. I think my new setup should be good for a few years unless I decided to go full suspension at some point for some reason, which I can't really see doing as long as I live in Charlotte.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:28 pm

I mean, it beats whatever I could buy for $1K bike-wise, if I could find anything at all. I think my new setup should be good for a few years unless I decided to go full suspension at some point for some reason, which I can't really see doing as long as I live in Charlotte.
Man, I like FS for tree roots and :bs: in Michigan, but it really depends on the trails.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:28 pm

Man, I like FS for tree roots and :bs: in Michigan, but it really depends on the trails.
We do have some really rooty/rocky trails where it would be :nice: , but the stuff I enjoy most around here is more flowy and I like being faster up climbs (and the simplicity is nice). I rode with my buddy last weekend on his full sus and he really CRAWLED on climbs. He is a very strong rider, he did the 108 mile road ride with me Sunday the day after doing a 70 miler with his brother. I don't know that I want to crawl up the climbs.

:iono: pros and cons, I guess that's why N+1 rule exists :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've never actually ridden a full suspension bike though, I assume it is like most things, where once you try it, you want it. No one is going back to a GTI after driving a Corvette.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:37 pm I've never actually ridden a full suspension bike though, I assume it is like most things, where once you try it, you want it. No one is going back to a GTI after driving a Corvette.
Not all FS bikes are the same and climb differently. Some suck big time, others are great. I bought my Trance originally because it climbed so well...damn near a HT with the shock "locked". My dad's Santa Cruze and Pivot bikes climb great as well. He believes it has to do with the rear suspension geometry and claims that anything with a dual link is superior.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

FTP test update. :flaccid:

The twins brought home a little virus from daycare that my wife fought off in 24 hours, but for me made its way down into my lungs and completely fucked up my cardio for a month. I ran a fever for a full week and am still hacking shit up a bit, but I’m probably 90% now. I took a full month off from the bike and started back up with the power zone program, so this was only my third ride back.

I was still hoping to average 200 watts for the ride, but around the 14 minute mark I had to back off the resistance from 50 to 48 as the recommended cadence slowly increased, I was getting too much lactic acid with 6 minutes left to finish strong. My final average was 191 with a FTP of 181, which is definitely lower than it would have been a month ago, but better than my first FTP result of 174. Considering I’m not quite 100% yet and haven’t ridden in a month, I’ll take it.

Last edited by coogles on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pmDepends on the FS bike - some climb well, some are couches meant for going down hills. My Orbea climbs very well.
:dat:

When I did a quick test ride of the Supercaliber I was :mindblown: at how quick that thing spun up. It actually felt faster than a hardtail but also had some compliance. Just a ridiculously cool, fast bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pmDepends on the FS bike - some climb well, some are couches meant for going down hills. My Orbea climbs very well.

When I did a quick test ride of the Supercaliber I was :mindblown: at how quick that thing spun up. It actually felt faster than a hardtail but also had some compliance. Just a ridiculously cool, fast bike.
Don't tempt me :lolol:

Nice job on the FTP test man. The bumps in the road slowing you down are a drag, but at the end of the day, you'll come out a beast. The biggest thing is just persevering and getting back on the bike.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm
It's a Giant, which could be good or bad.

2010 Giant Trance X2, I've tried researching and can't find anything definitive. I figured calling them would result in them sending me to a :dillerman:
Here: dan@bikeworks.shop

E-mail him - not only is he a good wrench, he works at a Giant factory store local to me. Mention I sent you (use my actual name). He'll get you figured out.
Wow, thanks man! I don't want to waste his time just yet, I'll frustrate myself further and if I truly can't figure it out, I'll hit him up.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Logged another ride on the Vittoria Terreno Dry tires. This time I dropped 5 PSI and set them at 28 front / 30 rear.

:mindblown:

Very smooth, very supple in all conditions. Fast on pavement and hard pack. A little over their head on true MTB, mostly noticeable with braking. Brake straight but give up grip quickly if you really clamp down. I rode them in wiss and they did just fine with drops and water crossings and such. No issues climbing over roots and rocks.

Two complaints. They wash out on looser gravel without too much warning where the nanos would just take a predictable slide. And there seems to be a lot of wind resistance if you’re in a headwind. Must be the fish scale tread.

Ace tires. Would buy again.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:37 pm I've never actually ridden a full suspension bike though, I assume it is like most things, where once you try it, you want it. No one is going back to a GTI after driving a Corvette.
Not all FS bikes are the same and climb differently. Some suck big time, others are great. I bought my Trance originally because it climbed so well...damn near a HT with the shock "locked". My dad's Santa Cruze and Pivot bikes climb great as well. He believes it has to do with the rear suspension geometry and claims that anything with a dual link is superior.
Just depends on the bike’s intended usage. [user not found]’s bike is single pivot and climbs nicely... better than the Pivot Mach 5.5 which is dual link. Most new FS bikes that are mid travel or less (like 140mm or so) will climb pretty great. It’s mostly due to better air shocks now, and more progressive leverage curves now that all mountain bikes are 1x drivetrains.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:01 pm
Just depends on the bike’s intended usage. [user not found]’s bike is single pivot and climbs nicely... better than the Pivot Mach 5.5 which is dual link. Most new FS bikes that are mid travel or less (like 140mm or so) will climb pretty great. It’s mostly due to better air shocks now, and more progressive leverage curves now that all mountain bikes are 1x drivetrains.
Excellent input. I honestly haven't paid much attention to bike tech in the last 5 years or so, I'm sure there's been a lot of advancement. And that's the thing, I'd still go FS over HT, especially with modern tech.

A mid travel 1x drivetrain bike would be :megusta:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

https://www.tftuned.com/mount-kit-guide
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm
https://www.tftuned.com/mount-kit-guide
:mindblown: I couldn't find this anywhere.

I'm still going to take my own measurements, but now I can confirm them. :fuckyeah:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:52 am
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 am

Don't tempt me :lolol:

Nice job on the FTP test man. The bumps in the road slowing you down are a drag, but at the end of the day, you'll come out a beast. The biggest thing is just persevering and getting back on the bike.
Ha, I'm a bad influence on those around me when it comes to stuff like this.

And thanks. I was certainly frustrated having to take that much time off, but I'll keep improving. Definitely looking forward to a full 4 weeks of training and retesting at the end of the program. I'll get the rest of this week and then have to take another week off while we're on vacation, but there are worse reasons to have to change up the workout routine.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

You hit 35mph on the Orbea??
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:43 pm Damn.

Good job getting back at it, though - it’s still early in the year.
Damn indeed. It's frustrating as fuck, catching COVID in early November and being severely limited from a fitness perspective up until close to New Year's. We got the Peloton at the very end of January and I was making what felt like solid progress over those next six weeks, just to catch another bug and be out of commission for a full month. I don't habitually check my weight, but I think I was ~178 pounds before I got sick, and at my lowest over these last 4 weeks I was down to 168 pounds. I never had a lack of appetite, but even then my body must have been using a lot of energy stores to fight that shit off and burned a lot of muscle in the process, although I did actually get a bit leaner too. Hey...upside. Based on the way my pants fit, I think most of that muscle mass was lost in my legs, but it should also be the quickest to come back.

And thanks, I do appreciate the encouragement. Those Peloton screen grabs of yours are good #goals material.
Last edited by coogles on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 pm You hit 35mph on the Orbea??
:lol:

No, that was on the Peloton in the final sprint of the workout where I put down ~800 watts for 20 seconds.
:derp: :lol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 pm
Have you considered a tapeworm instead, for weight loss? :lol:
Might not be a worse idea than being sick for so damn long. :disappoint:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:27 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:53 pm

Might not be a worse idea than being sick for so damn long. :disappoint:
Might want to dunk your kids in sheep dip when they get back from daycare.
Disgusting little Petri dishes masquerading as human beings. :disgust: