Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:25 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:01 pm

:yikes:

Sorry man. Deets? It can be crazy out there.
In bike lane. Cruising at 20+. Blinky light on. Lady speeds past me and turns immediately in front of me. I damn near t boned the car, no idea how I came to a stop. I braked so hard I almost fell over when I stopped, couldn’t get a foot down.
I actually had a similar incident a month or two ago. Same thing, in a bike lane, car passes me and turns right into me (I was going slower). It was the lightest brush of contact so I didn't go down, but at the same time the asshat didn't even stop to check.

I have a number of shitty stories/situations from even the past couple of weeks :disappoint:

My buddy and I were riding on this road that is pretty urban, like store fronts, restaurants, apartments all along the street, pretty slow moving traffic. Well, it normally has a bike lane but it was blocked for construction. We were on a climb and this lady behind the car that was behind us just starts laying on the horn. The people directly behind us actually rolled next to us once the bike lane came back and apologized (even though they didn't do anything).

The bitch honking floors it and blows by us really close and of course we catch up to her at the next light because it's a slow fucking road anyway. We yelled at her and she said she was going to call the cops on us :lolol:

People can be so shitty, I don't understand the :butwhy:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Yay ragers
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:25 pm

In bike lane. Cruising at 20+. Blinky light on. Lady speeds past me and turns immediately in front of me. I damn near t boned the car, no idea how I came to a stop. I braked so hard I almost fell over when I stopped, couldn’t get a foot down.
I actually had a similar incident a month or two ago. Same thing, in a bike lane, car passes me and turns right into me (I was going slower). It was the lightest brush of contact so I didn't go down, but at the same time the asshat didn't even stop to check.

I have a number of shitty stories/situations from even the past couple of weeks :disappoint:

My buddy and I were riding on this road that is pretty urban, like store fronts, restaurants, apartments all along the street, pretty slow moving traffic. Well, it normally has a bike lane but it was blocked for construction. We were on a climb and this lady behind the car that was behind us just starts laying on the horn. The people directly behind us actually rolled next to us once the bike lane came back and apologized (even though they didn't do anything).

The bitch honking floors it and blows by us really close and of course we catch up to her at the next light because it's a slow fucking road anyway. We yelled at her and she said she was going to call the cops on us :lolol:

I have never understood this. People who initiate aggression........then receive it back.......then they gotta call the cops. I mean, people are crazy..........who's to say Dan isn't just going to shoot you if start honking at him.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:17 pm

I have never understood this. People who initiate aggression........then receive it back.......then they gotta call the cops. I mean, people are crazy..........who's to say Dan isn't just going to shoot you if start honking at him.
It's a fairly safe assumption that skinny dudes in form fitting attire on road bikes aren't carrying I think... I do regret that we yelled at her at all, best thing is to just ignore such fuck faces... but we were both kind of fuming. I mean this cunt was just laying on the horn for 30 full seconds, as we went up a hill on a 25 MPH street with construction. It's all of like 300 meters of barricades before the bike lane comes back as well.

:ohwell:

I did tell her to go ahead and call the cops and she didn't :doit:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:22 pm

It's a fairly safe assumption that skinny dudes in form fitting attire on road bikes aren't carrying I think... I do regret that we yelled at her at all, best thing is to just ignore such fuck faces... but we were both kind of fuming. I mean this cunt was just laying on the horn for 30 full seconds, as we went up a hill on a 25 MPH street with construction. It's all of like 300 meters of barricades before the bike lane comes back as well.

The few times I’ve had to tell someone to go ahead and call the cops or go ahead and hit me, whatever their threat may have been, it always feels good to end the sentence by calling them a stupid fucking cunt.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:18 am

The few times I’ve had to tell someone to go ahead and call the cops or go ahead and hit me, whatever their threat may have been, it always feels good to end the sentence by calling them a stupid fucking cunt.
I definitely uttered some choice words in the heat of the moment.

One thing I thought about that is kind of embarrassing is if it had been some good ol' boy in an F250 I don't think I would've uttered the same words... I operate under the assumption that a 40s woman in a Jeep GC isn't going to shoot me, probably both dumb and sexist :lolol:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:59 am

I definitely uttered some choice words in the heat of the moment.

One thing I thought about that is kind of embarrassing is if it had been some good ol' boy in an F250 I don't think I would've uttered the same words... I operate under the assumption that a 40s woman in a Jeep GC isn't going to shoot me, probably both dumb and sexist :lolol:
Stereotypes are just population probability statistics by another name.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

things you can get away with being yuge.

Its funny, not alot of shit like that happens here. Constitutional carry and all.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:37 am

Its funny, not alot of shit like that happens here. Constitutional carry and all.
:iono: another generally true stereo type is that the redder/more rural a county is, the larger percentage of drivers are fucking dick bags to me on my bike. The type of people who carry are the same community who run myself and others off the road for zero fucking reason other than we exist and aren't in a :truk: I have a lot of anecdotal evidence around this.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:42 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:37 am

:iono: another generally true stereo type is that the redder/more rural a county is, the larger percentage of drivers are fucking dick bags to me on my bike. The type of people who carry are the same community who run myself and others off the road for zero fucking reason other than we exist and aren't in a :truk: I have a lot of anecdotal evidence around this.
also :notwrong:

Those same people probably complain about people speeding in the neighborhoods too, because 25 looks fast when you are standing still.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:16 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:42 am

also :notwrong:

Those same people probably complain about people speeding in the neighborhoods too, because 25 looks fast when you are standing still.
I also imagine plenty of people carry who don't drive super doodies with don't step on snek tags, it's just the douche bags who advertise it are the same crowd trying to run over people on bicycles for the mere sin of existing.
Johnny_P

Pickup trucks are way more likely to throw something like a water bottle at me as they drive by. Been a while since that has happened though.
Johnny_P

I keep getting ad targeted by TIME for the Alpe d'Huez. Honestly at $7500 its not a bad deal, considering you get Zipp 303 wheels and Ultegra DI2. Pretty bike.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:59 pm I keep getting ad targeted by TIME for the Alpe d'Huez. Honestly at $7500 its not a bad deal, considering you get Zipp 303 wheels and Ultegra DI2. Pretty bike.

That is a pretty thing.

I have my eye on this bish.

https://www.teamcyclingandfitness.com/p ... 6265-1.htm

Wifey is :notsure: , but I'd be able to get rid of my 15 year old 26er, and this thing could pull double duty as an around-the-neighborhood bike and handle some trail duty as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

NBD for everyone hopefully!

I’ll probably start thinking about gravel bikes once we complete this new shed project. I’m just :notsure: if I’ll actually be able to get a ton of use, new wheels on the Ribble would probably be better. I really want to start doing some bigger gravel events though, looks like such fun riding.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:crickets:

Gonna go demo some bikes this weekend at the Brown County Epic.

https://www.hmba.org/brown-county-epic/

Pivot, Transition, and Ibis will all be there. Others too I hope, but wanting to get some seat time with the Ripley, Trail 429 and Smuggler.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:32 pm :crickets:

Gonna go demo some bikes this weekend at the Brown County Epic.

https://www.hmba.org/brown-county-epic/

Pivot, Transition, and Ibis will all be there. Others too I hope, but wanting to get some seat time with the Ripley, Trail 429 and Smuggler.
Dude, sounds like a blast! I haven't had a chance to get out on the MTB since August, but did a big day at the US National Whitewater Center then with my local friend and college besty in from CT. He rented a full squish Giant from Whitewater and it was sadly a turd, he was pretty much dying after 25 miles or so. He does a lot of gravel riding up in New England, even on single track, but it was his first real MTB experience as an adult. I wish the bike would've been in better shape, he likely would've gotten hooked.

I did a decently big ride last weekend, 112 miles. It was a 67 mile charity fondo, plus commuted down to SC and back from my house to round out the century+. My buddy Maxx came alond and ended up doing about 124 miles for his longest ride ever. I was pretty impressed as he rides a steel bike (Fairlight) AND had a mechanical and lost rear shifting, did 80+ of those miles in the 11 sprocket rear cog with just the two front ratios. Pretty wild as the only other century he's done was with me last year and he was riding the struggle bus pretty hard. I was stoked to see him knock this one out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9995972026

I'm hoping to get a ride in this weekend. I was going to do an AM group ride today, but it's raining.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, been kinda training for my Spartan half marathon race in November, doing more running with body weight stuff mixed in - there are a few parks close by so I run between them hitting monkey bars, pull ups, dips, pushups, etc. at each stop.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well that was dumb. Helped the wife and kids get out the door and then hopped in the 86 to head down to Nashville (IN). About 60 second after getting onto 465 (the ring road around Indianapolis), I was car sick. I don't know if it was because I had a bit of a stomach bug earlier in the week, but by the time I made it around to the south side of Indianapolis to get on 65 south I was ready to puke. To date the 86 is the only car I've ever driven or ridden in that makes me car sick. There's something about the way concrete highways are made that pitches this car back and forth and tremendously upsets this car.

Once I got on 65, which is asphalt, things smoothed out and I was more or less fine and made my way down to Nashville. Got there around 10:45am, stopped over by the vendor booths, and literally every short travel bike my size was already out. Trail 429, Mach 4, Spur, Smuggler, Ripley, Exie, all out. So I went back to my car and sat down for awhile keeping my eyes on the trail coming out of the woods to see if anyone looking about my size came back, and slowly it started to drizzle, then clear, then rain, clear, then it poured. And it stayed raining until I decided to just pack it up and head home at about 11:25. And at that point the roads were too wet to have any fun without fear of wrapping the 86 around a tree.

And then I got car sick again on the way home. Hooray.

Griff I don't know how you daily this thing. It's fun when driving it in a spirited fashion but I hate using it as a regular car. I'm never taking it on the highway again.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:06 am Dude, sounds like a blast! I haven't had a chance to get out on the MTB since August, but did a big day at the US National Whitewater Center then with my local friend and college besty in from CT. He rented a full squish Giant from Whitewater and it was sadly a turd, he was pretty much dying after 25 miles or so. He does a lot of gravel riding up in New England, even on single track, but it was his first real MTB experience as an adult. I wish the bike would've been in better shape, he likely would've gotten hooked.

I did a decently big ride last weekend, 112 miles. It was a 67 mile charity fondo, plus commuted down to SC and back from my house to round out the century+. My buddy Maxx came alond and ended up doing about 124 miles for his longest ride ever. I was pretty impressed as he rides a steel bike (Fairlight) AND had a mechanical and lost rear shifting, did 80+ of those miles in the 11 sprocket rear cog with just the two front ratios. Pretty wild as the only other century he's done was with me last year and he was riding the struggle bus pretty hard. I was stoked to see him knock this one out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9995972026

I'm hoping to get a ride in this weekend. I was going to do an AM group ride today, but it's raining.
112 miles in one stint? Good lawd. I'd be dead by the halfway point.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:55 pm Well that was dumb. Helped the wife and kids get out the door and then hopped in the 86 to head down to Nashville (IN). About 60 second after getting onto 465 (the ring road around Indianapolis), I was car sick. I don't know if it was because I had a bit of a stomach bug earlier in the week, but by the time I made it around to the south side of Indianapolis to get on 65 south I was ready to puke. To date the 86 is the only car I've ever driven or ridden in that makes me car sick. There's something about the way concrete highways are made that pitches this car back and forth and tremendously upsets this car.

Once I got on 65, which is asphalt, things smoothed out and I was more or less fine and made my way down to Nashville. Got there around 10:45am, stopped over by the vendor booths, and literally every short travel bike my size was already out. Trail 429, Mach 4, Spur, Smuggler, Ripley, Exie, all out. So I went back to my car and sat down for awhile keeping my eyes on the trail coming out of the woods to see if anyone looking about my size came back, and slowly it started to drizzle, then clear, then rain, clear, then it poured. And it stayed raining until I decided to just pack it up and head home at about 11:25. And at that point the roads were too wet to have any fun without fear of wrapping the 86 around a tree.

And then I got car sick again on the way home. Hooray.

Griff I don't know how you daily this thing. It's fun when driving it in a spirited fashion but I hate using it as a regular car. I'm never taking it on the highway again.
Dang :sad: I really enjoy it as a daily. It’s def loud and the ride is meh but I don’t mind it, I love how engaging it is in just the mundane daily activities.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:03 pm Dang :sad: I really enjoy it as a daily. It’s def loud and the ride is meh but I don’t mind it, I love how engaging it is in just the mundane daily activities.
I shouldn't give out the wrong impression, I agree with you. It makes cruising around the burbs where I live way more fun than my hooptie minivan.

Certainly my opinions are a result of how the highways around me in particular are constructed. But still, I've never had these problems in another car. To not be able to take it on even a short road trip makes owning it a big :butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

To be fair, we don’t really have non asphalt highways, but I’ve driven it from Memphis area (Mississippi) where I bought it home, taken work trips to Raleigh and Atlanta, never really minded it.

But also bikes… bummer you didn’t get to try any. I’m going to try to get out on the road in the AM.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:35 pm To be fair, we don’t really have non asphalt highways, but I’ve driven it from Memphis area (Mississippi) where I bought it home, taken work trips to Raleigh and Atlanta, never really minded it.

But also bikes… bummer you didn’t get to try any. I’m going to try to get out on the road in the AM.
The only state mine's been to other than Indiana is Michigan last year when we took that trip to Traverse City. Michigan has a fair amount of concrete highways too and I never noticed the behavior up there. The road noise with these Michelins on concrete is ridiculous but otherwise it's only been 465 and the stretch of 69 between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne where I've had this happen. Maybe it's something specific about the way our state's construction crews piece concrete highways together, I have no idea. I should try to get a video of it at some point but I'm not sure how well that would work.

I do wonder if a different suspension setup with higher quality dampers would help. It'd be an expensive experiment, but I really like driving this car, and there's probably no replacing it with something else right now unless it's something pretty cheap that I could just pay cash for due to interest rates.

I was pretty :disappoint: about not being able to ride anything, but then again I have no plans to buy a MTB so it was just going to be for a bit of fun that day.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:07 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:35 pm To be fair, we don’t really have non asphalt highways, but I’ve driven it from Memphis area (Mississippi) where I bought it home, taken work trips to Raleigh and Atlanta, never really minded it.

The only state mine's been to other than Indiana is Michigan last year when we took that trip to Traverse City. Michigan has a fair amount of concrete highways too and I never noticed the behavior up there. The road noise with these Michelins on concrete is ridiculous but otherwise it's only been 465 and the stretch of 69 between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne where I've had this happen. Maybe it's something specific about the way our state's construction crews piece concrete highways together, I have no idea. I should try to get a video of it at some point but I'm not sure how well that would work.

I do wonder if a different suspension setup with higher quality dampers would help. It'd be an expensive experiment, but I really like driving this car, and there's probably no replacing it with something else right now unless it's something pretty cheap that I could just pay cash for due to interest rates.

I was pretty :disappoint: about not being able to ride anything, but then again I have no plans to buy a MTB so it was just going to be for a bit of fun that day.
I definitely think a set of better dampers would go a long way on this thing. Don't get me wrong, the ride is... not good. I just have a fairly high pain tolerance for that stuff and it's not THAT bad. Going from borked magna ride to better OEM shocks to DRM Bilsteins on my Corvette was pretty eye opening.

Basically, OEM dampers are built to a cost IMO. You sort of have a ride, handling, price, pick two situation with dampers. 86 places handling above other things as an ethos, so they chose handling and (low) cost. My Corvette truly rode amazingly compared to stock and was objectively quicker on track with an $800 or whatever set of shocks, even on the stock leaf springs.