Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:24 pm TCR? Sweeeeet. Interested to hear the difference between it and the metal bike.
Yusssss. TCR indeed. 105 mechanical, pretty basic. But even just going to carbon is a noticeable improvement based on a quick test ride.

Probably going to slap some different tires on it and otherwise rock it as-is for awhile. The new Vittoria pros look promising, though I might pick up some turbo cottons on closeout. Dunno yet.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:24 pm TCR? Sweeeeet. Interested to hear the difference between it and the metal bike.
Yusssss. TCR indeed. 105 mechanical, pretty basic. But even just going to carbon is a noticeable improvement based on a quick test ride.

Probably going to slap some different tires on it and otherwise rock it as-is for awhile. The new Vittoria pros look promising, though I might pick up some turbo cottons on closeout. Dunno yet.
Nothing :wrong: with 105, it’s a work horse and I don’t see a need for more although I wouldn’t mind trying electronic for ease of adjustment.

Looks like a nice machine, carbon is indeed :megusta:

I’m going back to tubeless GP5000 now that those Bontrager floor pumps exist. That’ll solve the annoyance of mounting problem and a bit better ride will be nice. I’ve got the tires on hand, just need to get the pump now.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:36 am Nothing :wrong: with 105, it’s a work horse and I don’t see a need for more although I wouldn’t mind trying electronic for ease of adjustment.

I’m going back to tubeless GP5000 now that those Bontrager floor pumps exist. That’ll solve the annoyance of mounting problem and a bit better ride will be nice. I’ve got the tires on hand, just need to get the pump now.
105 is totally fine, but if someone gave me an Ultregra Di2 groupset I'd gladly run that instead. It's REALLY nice, but I'm not dropping that kind of cash just yet. The TCR with Ultregra Di2 and carbon wheels is $6,500, versus the $2,400 I paid.

Looks like one of the local shops has some 25c 5000S TRs is the tan sidewall...might have to go pick those up this afternoon. I'd rather run 28s but these wheels don't look very wide, 28s might get a bit of light bulbing going on.
Last edited by coogles on Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

105 has always been an awesome value vs performance tradeoff. Especially since it got redesigned and uses the same shadow derailleur tech from the ultegra / Dura Ace / MTB stuff. My cross bike has an ultegra rear mech and I’ve smashed it into way too many things and it keeps just working.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:36 am
coogles wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:59 pm

Nothing :wrong: with 105, it’s a work horse and I don’t see a need for more although I wouldn’t mind trying electronic for ease of adjustment.

That pump is so good.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Got a pair of 25c 5000 S TRs on the way in black/coffee. :fuckyeah:

Over here wondering if my Milwaukee M18 inflator will seat them, or if I'll need to get one of those Bontrager pumps as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:24 pm Got a pair of 25c 5000 S TRs on the way in black/coffee. :fuckyeah:

Over here wondering if my Milwaukee M18 inflator will seat them, or if I'll need to get one of those Bontrager pumps as well.
This https://www.northerntool.com/products/m ... lsrc=aw.ds

I wouldn't try to set up tubeless with that unless you're in for some self loathing. You may be able to get it done but it won't be easy.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:21 am
coogles wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:24 pm Got a pair of 25c 5000 S TRs on the way in black/coffee. :fuckyeah:

This https://www.northerntool.com/products/m ... lsrc=aw.ds

I wouldn't try to set up tubeless with that unless you're in for some self loathing. You may be able to get it done but it won't be easy.
I also have an air compressor that I used with a finishing nailer to redo a bunch of trim in our old house. :derp:

Looks like I just need one of these and I should be good to go.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-5-Piece ... t/50129860
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Finally got the GP5000s installed. The coffee sidewalls are nowhere near as bright as the tan on some others, which stinks, but it's still better than solid black on a black bike.

Also, holy shit those Giant branded tires were tight. I actually dented one of the rims ever so slightly with the (metal) tire lever trying to get them off. I had to cut holes in the tire, pry one bead up with a flathead from the inside, then get the tire lever under the bead from the outside. Even once I had the lever in I couldn't get the bead over the outside of the rim without using WAY too much force. I'm glad I don't really care about these wheels.

After that, getting the tires beaded with my compressor was pretty easy. Then filled with 40mL of sealant using a syringe, aired up, good to go.
Last edited by coogles on Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:15 pm Finally got the GP5000s installed. The coffee sidewalls are nowhere near as bright as the tan on some others, which stinks, but it's still better than solid black on a black bike.

Also, holy shit those Giant branded tires were tight. I actually dented one of the rims ever so slightly with the (metal) tire lever trying to get them off. I had to cut holes in the tire, pry one bead up with a flathead from the inside, then get the tire lever under the bead from the outside. Even once I had the lever in I couldn't get the bead over the outside of the rim without using WAY too much force. I'm I don't really care about these wheels.

After that, getting the tires beaded with my compressor was pretty easy. Then filled with 40mL of sealant using a syringe, aired up, good to go.
This is why tubeless sucks sometimes. For road bikes especially. Not being able to remove the tire to install a tube on the side of the road blows.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:22 pm This is why tubeless sucks sometimes. For road bikes especially. Not being able to remove the tire to install a tube on the side of the road blows.
No doubt. Though strangely, the GP5000s were much easier to get on. Getting those off would be far less difficult.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:31 pm Also, you buy that Defy yet? :trollface:

https://playtridelafield.com/products/g ... night-2022
That looks pretty good. I haven’t ridden a bike in 2.5 weeks lol.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:47 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:31 pm Also, you buy that Defy yet? :trollface:

https://playtridelafield.com/products/g ... night-2022
I haven't ridden a real bike in about that long, unless you count riding less than a mile to the gym on my ancient 26er MTB. Hoping to take my maiden voyage on the TCR tomorrow and get out for a real group ride on Friday.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:47 pm

I haven't ridden a real bike in about that long, unless you count riding less than a mile to the gym on my ancient 26er MTB. Hoping to take my maiden voyage on the TCR tomorrow and get out for a real group ride on Friday.
:fuckyeah: it’s raining all week here so I’m stuck with running/lifting. Hopefully it’s nicer this weekend.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:47 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:57 pm

:fuckyeah: it’s raining all week here so I’m stuck with running/lifting. Hopefully it’s nicer this weekend.
bro right it didnt rain here anything to speak of like three weeks then just every. fucking. day. this week.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:36 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:47 pm

bro right it didnt rain here anything to speak of like three weeks then just every. fucking. day. this week.
:dat: We get your weather the next day typically so you're hopefully seeing an end to this tomorrow and I'm fingers crossed the weekend will be decent. Better to rain when I'm stuck working.

I had to go to Orlando for a trade show last week and that is some fucking :disgust: weather. It's like 15 degrees hotter than here and 1,000,000X humidity even at 6 AM.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:52 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:36 am

:dat: We get your weather the next day typically so you're hopefully seeing an end to this tomorrow and I'm fingers crossed the weekend will be decent. Better to rain when I'm stuck working.

I had to go to Orlando for a trade show last week and that is some fucking :disgust: weather. It's like 15 degrees hotter than here and 1,000,000X humidity even at 6 AM.
Yea the deep south humidity can suck it, so glad to be rid of that life. The weather here is far superior, and I've even gotten used to winter, tho I've been about done with it and glad o see it go by march.

re: weekend weather, supposed to clear up for saturday, which is good cause the big local beer festival is then and i have two brews (well one brew and a cider) to bring. It will be nice to get sunshine and not be rained on all afternoon
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Had kind of a nasty fall yesterday on my lunch ride. I've been trying to use the greenways a bit more and less sketchy roads, so I did just that, there's a nice loop from my house that is like 50% greenway, 30% neighborhoods, and only 20% real roads which are :notbad: , 25-30 miles in total. Well, it's been raining a good bit off and on here, but everything seemed dry. One of the greenways covers a swampy area where there are deck board bridges for several hundred meters at a time. While I'm very aware that these are slippery, I was proceeding with caution but not under the impression that they were drenched/extra :moist:

I hit I slight turn and it just happened to be an area that was fully shaded almost 24/7 and stayed very wet. I couldn't see the wetness until it was too late and went down at about 15 MPH but man did the skin burns hurt... :disappoint: fortunately no major injury but I've been trying to keep these clean and applying ointment, it was tough sleeping last night as most positions had some pressure on these somewhere. They're all on my right side, arm, elbow, leg knee, torso side...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Ouchies!!
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Yea dude rash sucks ass. keep that ointment on them and the scaring should be minimal; you DONT want these scabbing over too soon. there is a special bandage you can get that is moist and will help keep that moisture in but allow it to breathe, but at least use a non stick. I asked the wife what its called will advise; i forgot casue i was on lots of pain killers.
Johnny_P

Aw man that sucks. Sorry Griff.

In high school when I lived in TX I was on a bike race team. One of the races was in Louisiana and had a bunch of boardwalks over swamp. I remember that a few riders slipped off the deck and straight into the muck. Slick boards can take you out in no time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:08 am Yea dude rash sucks ass. keep that ointment on them and the scaring should be minimal; you DONT want these scabbing over too soon. there is a special bandage you can get that is moist and will help keep that moisture in but allow it to breathe, but at least use a non stick. I asked the wife what its called will advise; i forgot casue i was on lots of pain killers.
Let me know when you find out. For now they're open and I've just been keeping them clean and adding ointment.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:20 am Aw man that sucks. Sorry Griff.

In high school when I lived in TX I was on a bike race team. One of the races was in Louisiana and had a bunch of boardwalks over swamp. I remember that a few riders slipped off the deck and straight into the muck. Slick boards can take you out in no time.
Yep, definitely didn't stand a chance with that dime sized road bike contact patch :lolol: :ohwell: