Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:43 pm Speaking of Emondas, mine feels rather big. I'm smack dab in the middle of the height recommendations for a 56 according to Trek, but the reach feels...excessive. I spent a fair amount of time on the Peloton this winter, which is obviously really upright like a spin bike. When I got back on the Emonda for the first ride, first of all, I had the saddle WAY too low. No idea how I'd been riding it like that, but I brought it up like an inch and a half, and slid it back juuuust behind center on the rails. The saddle position feels great now, but now the reach feels way too long. I think it's a combination of having been really upright on the Peloton for so much time, and also the new saddle position creating both a longer reach and a bigger drop to the bars. Seriously feels like I need an 80mm stem on the thing.

I hopped on a couple smaller bikes at the LBS and they definitely felt more comfortable. A 54CM carbon Emonda felt a little small - the front end felt low, particularly, given the saddle height I need. The size medium Giant TCR, though? Holy hell, goldilocks. It felt like it was built for me. Only a 10mm difference in top tube from my bike, but somehow it felt like "yep, this is my bike". That said, a 10mm difference in top tube means I should be able to get the Emonda to fit me okay. Prolly time to pay up for a bike fit.
80mm stem is pretty short for a road bike. I wouldn’t go lower than that because the handling can get really whacked out and the steering way too fast. Ultimately the reach is why I sold the Cervelo. I couldn’t get comfortable on it. But I miss the explosive power of that bike. It was so fast.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:24 pm Y’all been riding lately?

I did a road ride on the gravel bike yesterday. Felt good to get out on the road again and the route I took was very low traffic. The steel bike is pretty flexy and vibrates a lot when I put the hammer down on road, so I kind of want a road bike again. Prices seem to have become insane on them though.

The Vittoria tires on the gravel bike also stopped holding air from too many glass cuts so I replaced them. Bought that Bontrager air shot pump to do it and MY PEOPLE this is the way. It was so easy. Replaced with another set of Vittorias since I already had one and just needed to buy one more. But I think next time I need tires I’ll get something else.
I've been dying to, but the weather has either been shit, or I've been too busy with work and the kids. I'm taking a PTO day tomorrow and am planning to do the full Fall Creek trail into downtown and back. 'sgonna be good. :megusta:

Have you seen the new Emonda ALR? No idea when they'll start being available, but they look niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice IMO.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... lr/c/B212/

Nice paint job on that one. Trek has the best paint of the big manufacturers For sure. I’d spend more for the carbon model just for compliance and vibration reduction. It’s common for me to lose feeling in my hands on bike rides anymore.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Stems are cheap, buy an 80 and try it? I've had no issues with $15 ebay stems. Different handlebar geometries also affect things.

Dunno what kind of spacers you have available, but you can also raise the bars up via spacers and/or flipping your stem. Those are free changes that shorten the effective reach. Amusingly I have both a 54cm carbon Emonda and a medium Liv-branded TCR here and generally prefer the fit on the Emonda, though neither of them have the stock stem/bars. In fact I have an 80mm stem on the Giant and a 100 on the Trek.

I've gotten my bikes almost accessible at this point, been trying to clean out the garage. I'm still :notsure: whether I really want to ride again, it's just not safe outside of a closed course. I still want to eventually get into triathlon :doe: which requires being able to handle a super aggressive bike, plus regular road bikes are still the most efficient way to get around locally.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:07 pm 80mm stem is pretty short for a road bike. I wouldn’t go lower than that because the handling can get really whacked out and the steering way too fast. Ultimately the reach is why I sold the Cervelo. I couldn’t get comfortable on it. But I miss the explosive power of that bike. It was so fast.
I'm with you, I really don't want to have to do that. If I need an 80mm stem, I need a smaller bike. We'll see, hopefully spending more time on it will get me used to the position.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:17 pm Stems are cheap, buy an 80 and try it? I've had no issues with $15 ebay stems. Different handlebar geometries also affect things.

Dunno what kind of spacers you have available, but you can also raise the bars up via spacers and/or flipping your stem. Those are free changes that shorten the effective reach. Amusingly I have both a 54cm carbon Emonda and a medium Liv-branded TCR here and generally prefer the fit on the Emonda, though neither of them have the stock stem/bars. In fact I have an 80mm stem on the Giant and a 100 on the Trek.

I've gotten my bikes almost accessible at this point, been trying to clean out the garage. I'm still :notsure: whether I really want to ride again, it's just not safe outside of a closed course. I still want to eventually get into triathlon :doe: which requires being able to handle a super aggressive bike, plus regular road bikes are still the most efficient way to get around locally.
I could try flipping the stem, I'm sure that would help. We'll see how tomorrow's ride goes. :iono:
Johnny_P

It’s worth trying the stem flip.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Maybe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275606058251

:tits: will be so annoyed. :lolol:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

coogles wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:49 pm Maybe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275606058251

:tits: will be so annoyed. :lolol:
Bikes are worthless now, you can probably get a whole bike for that price via a private party.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:24 pm Y’all been riding lately?

I did a road ride on the gravel bike yesterday. Felt good to get out on the road again and the route I took was very low traffic. The steel bike is pretty flexy and vibrates a lot when I put the hammer down on road, so I kind of want a road bike again. Prices seem to have become insane on them though.

The Vittoria tires on the gravel bike also stopped holding air from too many glass cuts so I replaced them. Bought that Bontrager air shot pump to do it and MY PEOPLE this is the way. It was so easy. Replaced with another set of Vittorias since I already had one and just needed to buy one more. But I think next time I need tires I’ll get something else.
I've been dying to, but the weather has either been shit, or I've been too busy with work and the kids. I'm taking a PTO day tomorrow and am planning to do the full Fall Creek trail into downtown and back. 'sgonna be good. :megusta:

Have you seen the new Emonda ALR? No idea when they'll start being available, but they look niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice IMO.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... lr/c/B212/

That paint scheme is dope.

Re: fit, I too prefer a tad smaller bike generally. I’d say my fit was worth it, wish I would’ve done it sooner, that said, I wasn’t far off. You can get 95% of the way with YouTube videos. My biggest problem was just needing a new saddle.
Johnny_P

Yet another road ride on the gravel steed. Damn near PR’d a pretty serious descent. Came within just a couple seconds of my best time from 2015 on my Cervelo, despite the more upright fit and less aero frame. The fat ass 32mm tires are really nuts and grip like crazy on turns.

Pretty brutal on hills though. I think it’s 10 lbs heavier than any dedicated road bike would be. Combined with frame flex and it’s just a slug up road climbs.

Specialized Roubaix looks nice.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well, I tried to go for a ride today. There's a rail-to-trail about 3 miles from the house, but you have to cross some pretty busy roads to get there, including going over a highway overpass that has some pedestrian infrastructure surrounded by 40+ mph vehicles. The amount of time I had to stop at these crossings and roundabouts was astonishing. I had two people yell indiscernible comments at me out of open windows, I guess for daring to be outside of a car. So I rode back home without even getting to the trail, again having to wait unreal amounts of time just to cross the street. Remind me again why I own a road bike?

Also, I've concluded my bike is ~3cm too long in the top tube.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

coogles wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:32 pm Well, I tried to go for a ride today. There's a rail-to-trail about 3 miles from the house, but you have to cross some pretty busy roads to get there, including going over a highway overpass that has some pedestrian infrastructure surrounded by 40+ mph vehicles. The amount of time I had to stop at these crossings and roundabouts was astonishing. I had two people yell indiscernible comments at me out of open windows, I guess for daring to be outside of a car. So I rode back home without even getting to the trail, again having to wait unreal amounts of time just to cross the street. Remind me again why I own a road bike?

Sounds about right. That's why I have 4 road bikes. :derp: :thisisfine:

In a few weeks (Memorial Day) it'll be a full year since I rode one outdoors. At least they've plummeted in value during that time... :wasteful:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:32 pm Well, I tried to go for a ride today. There's a rail-to-trail about 3 miles from the house, but you have to cross some pretty busy roads to get there, including going over a highway overpass that has some pedestrian infrastructure surrounded by 40+ mph vehicles. The amount of time I had to stop at these crossings and roundabouts was astonishing. I had two people yell indiscernible comments at me out of open windows, I guess for daring to be outside of a car. So I rode back home without even getting to the trail, again having to wait unreal amounts of time just to cross the street. Remind me again why I own a road bike?

People are awful. That blows man I’m sorry.

You try the shorter stem yet?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:53 pm People are awful. That blows man I’m sorry.

Ahhhhh Trump country.

I haven't, and it's not like I'm riding so long that it matters, I can just keep my hands closer on the bars instead of going all the way to the hoods. But to have to run a 70cm or 80cm stem on a 56cm bike means I bought the wrong size bike.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:53 pm People are awful. That blows man I’m sorry.

Ahhhhh Trump country.

I haven't, and it's not like I'm riding so long that it matters, I can just keep my hands closer on the bars instead of going all the way to the hoods. But to have to run a 70cm or 80cm stem on a 56cm bike means I bought the wrong size bike.
I’d try an 80 flipped upwards to give a tiny bit of lift. Its cheap enough to give it a shot.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Going down to an 80mm really isn't that big of a deal. Keep in mind that you also have the reach of the bars adding to the lever, so it's not 20% shorter effectively than a 100mm.

Also, IIRC you said that you raised your seat up a bunch? That also moves it backward, increasing reach. It might be worth sliding it forward some. I actually tend to prefer a pretty far forward seat despite it supposedly being more aggressive - it's just plain more comfortable for me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Ugh... I have actually had some pretty annoying encounters with shitbag motorists of late, it's certainly a turnoff of the sport.

Did some MTB trail riding this weekend and had a blast. I finally got a trailer hitch on order, hopefully I can be out on the MTB more soon.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:04 pm Going down to an 80mm really isn't that big of a deal. Keep in mind that you also have the reach of the bars adding to the lever, so it's not 20% shorter effectively than a 100mm.

Also, IIRC you said that you raised your seat up a bunch? That also moves it backward, increasing reach. It might be worth sliding it forward some. I actually tend to prefer a pretty far forward seat despite it supposedly being more aggressive - it's just plain more comfortable for me.
That's a fair point on the bars being a portion of the effective reach as well.

I did move the seat up quite a bit. After being on the Peloton all winter, when I hopped on the Emonda the first time this spring I could tell I had the seat WAY lower. I broke out the tape measure and the BB to seat rails measurement was ~3cm longer on the Peloton than I had it on the Emonda. I put the two next to each other and got the saddle placement as close as I could, but yeah, that also had the impact of making the reach to the bars longer and lower as well.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:07 pm Ugh... I have actually had some pretty annoying encounters with shitbag motorists of late, it's certainly a turnoff of the sport.

Did some MTB trail riding this weekend and had a blast. I finally got a trailer hitch on order, hopefully I can be out on the MTB more soon.
Dude, it certainly is. My dog and I also almost got run over in the crosswalk as I was coming home on my run this a.m., so...fun! Sometimes I really hate cars.

Deets on the trailer hitch? I've had such a major itch to get on a MTB again. I know I don't have time to ride one, or the trails within ~30mins drive that would make owning one worth it. But man, watching these MTBing videos on YouTube makes that look like so much more fun than being on the road bike. Would love to fuck off and travel the country riding trails all day.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:05 am
D Griff wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:07 pm Ugh... I have actually had some pretty annoying encounters with shitbag motorists of late, it's certainly a turnoff of the sport.

Dude, it certainly is. My dog and I also almost got run over in the crosswalk as I was coming home on my run this a.m., so...fun! Sometimes I really hate cars.

Deets on the trailer hitch? I've had such a major itch to get on a MTB again. I know I don't have time to ride one, or the trails within ~30mins drive that would make owning one worth it. But man, watching these MTBing videos on YouTube makes that look like so much more fun than being on the road bike. Would love to fuck off and travel the country riding trails all day.
You can put almost anything after this phrase or simply leave it as is.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:09 am

:notwrong:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:09 am

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Whelp, I found out why that size medium (55cm top tube) TCR felt so much more comfortable in reach despite being almost identical in size to my (56cm top tube) Emonda. Giants come with bars with a 75mm reach. The bars on the Emonda have a 100mm reach. So, 10mm shorter top tube, 25mm shorter reach to the bars, 35mm less reach overall more or less. :derp:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

That'll do it. All the more reason not to worry about running a shorter stem.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Did bike stuff with he who must not be named today, ‘twas 5/7.