Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 am Honestly the Havnoonian felt pretty comfy in just regular gym shorts and stuff. It was made during a time where padded shorts weren't happening on the regular. That Connor saddle is fantastic and the rear of the frame has enough compliance. If it's too harsh you can try to fit wider or softer tires to it. The gatorskins ride notoriously hard but wear like iron and are hella resistant to flatting. That bike should be able to fit 25's, maybe 28's on it.
It's a sweet bike. The bike shop dudes popped it open to see what it was, then promptly assembled it and had it ready in three hours, 3 days before we agreed, because retro steel bike dOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I'm not changing a thing. I'm going to figure out some rides that are safe (we have installed a bunch of bike lane streets locally) and eventually what is called the CV Link will be completed. http://www.coachellavalleylink.com/. I'm gonna get some padded shite and some gloves and a helmet and shoes, all that stuff. I'm old and fatter than I should be, that's one of the reasons I got it. Lifting weights isn't going to cut it alone. TBH safety is my biggest concern with getting back into biking. I've invested a fair amount in post secondary education and trusting today's driver to keep a proper lookout and avoid messing up my squash is asking too much, unfortunately. I've seen a lot of bikers around here "exercise their rights" on roads where the law might be on their side, but rational though is not. The arterials around here routinely see traffic at over 70 mph (limit being 50 or 55) Gotta map out my strategy.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:43 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 am

It's a sweet bike. The bike shop dudes popped it open to see what it was, then promptly assembled it and had it ready in three hours, 3 days before we agreed, because retro steel bike dOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I'm not changing a thing. I'm going to figure out some rides that are safe (we have installed a bunch of bike lane streets locally) and eventually what is called the CV Link will be completed. http://www.coachellavalleylink.com/. I'm gonna get some padded shite and some gloves and a helmet and shoes, all that stuff. I'm old and fatter than I should be, that's one of the reasons I got it. Lifting weights isn't going to cut it alone. TBH safety is my biggest concern with getting back into biking. I've invested a fair amount in post secondary education and trusting today's driver to keep a proper lookout and avoid messing up my squash is asking too much, unfortunately. I've seen a lot of bikers around here "exercise their rights" on roads where the law might be on their side, but rational though is not. The arterials around here routinely see traffic at over 70 mph (limit being 50 or 55) Gotta map out my strategy.
I run blinky lights during the day as well, every bit helps.
Right, also on my list.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 am Honestly the Havnoonian felt pretty comfy in just regular gym shorts and stuff. It was made during a time where padded shorts weren't happening on the regular. That Connor saddle is fantastic and the rear of the frame has enough compliance. If it's too harsh you can try to fit wider or softer tires to it. The gatorskins ride notoriously hard but wear like iron and are hella resistant to flatting. That bike should be able to fit 25's, maybe 28's on it.
lol even in a box it grabs attention

Bright ass blinky light can help. Also check around with local shops, they might have group rides of varying speed / experience levels. If they don't have anything organized themselves, they can probably point you in the right direction.

This worked well for me for about 4 years but looks like ass on the bike :iono:
https://www.rei.com/product/756360/plan ... bike-light

I recently changed to this because the superflash fell apart:
https://www.rei.com/product/895618/cygo ... bike-light

Also if you're concerned about safety and all, brighter colors tend to be more visible. Yellow, orange, etc for jerseys isn't a bad call.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:04 am

Bright ass blinky light can help. Also check around with local shops, they might have group rides of varying speed / experience levels. If they don't have anything organized themselves, they can probably point you in the right direction.

Also if you're concerned about safety and all, brighter colors tend to be more visible. Yellow, orange, etc for jerseys isn't a bad call.
I might actually spring for that light, that's a nice light and doesn't look ridiculous, either.
A lot of my friends have them, they look cool on the bike. Problem is, it has like 10 different settings between flashes and brightness. So I think it's going to be a bit complicated to turn on while riding.

The superflash was pretty easy to turn on and off while riding.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:04 am

Agreed on all, will check the light. Not dying or being maimed>aesthetics.
Johnny_P

Pizza ride is ON tonight!
Johnny_P

Ride was good. I should probably be with the fast group now.

Also. Holy shit the Cervelo is a weapon. Almost forgot that. Been riding the dirt sleds around and this thing is lighter and stiffer and just a rocket.
Johnny_P

Look who I found

Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:04 am Sweet.

I had a fantastic ride last night. Rode from the :haus: to the trail, bumped into a TON of different people I know, and would've kept riding if I didn't run out of daylight. 21 miles in all, and the ride from the :haus: to the trail is super easy and traffic free. :fuckyeah:
Yeah man that sounds like a good ride. Roughly what my belmont rides end up being. :like:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:04 am Sweet.

I had a fantastic ride last night. Rode from the :haus: to the trail, bumped into a TON of different people I know, and would've kept riding if I didn't run out of daylight. 21 miles in all, and the ride from the :haus: to the trail is super easy and traffic free. :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah: That's awesome.
Johnny_P

Also the verdict is in. I prefer Sram shifters for road and mountain. :iono: I like the snappy more positive shift action than the muted soft shift action of Shimanos.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:28 am Also the verdict is in. I prefer Sram shifters for road and mountain. :iono: I like the snappy more positive shift action than the muted soft shift action of Shimanos.
You running a SLX 1x11 drivetrain right now?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:28 am Also the verdict is in. I prefer Sram shifters for road and mountain. :iono: I like the snappy more positive shift action than the muted soft shift action of Shimanos.
You running a SLX 1x11 drivetrain right now?
MTB: 1x11 SLX with Fled's old chainring
Cross: 2x11 Shimano 105
Roadie: 2x10 Sram Rival

I could probably make the cross bike 1x10 with little effort. Get some used Rival 10 shifters which should be like $50 for the pair, GX 10 speed clutched MTB derailleur $50, new sunrace cassette at $50, and a chain and chainring. I bet I'm there for under $250 but it would only be 1x10.

Gotta look for some used 11 speed shit. lol Sram's ____22 road groupsets use 1:1 pull ratios so you can make a poverty 1x11 clutched system by using a GX 10 speed MTB rear derailleur. I think that's what the new Rival1 rear is.

I think 1x11, 40 x 11-42 would be fine for the cross bike.
Johnny_P

Anyone ride a 56? This is a hell of a deal.

https://mybikeshop.com/products/2012-pa ... owned.html

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

My tires shipped from the UK to JFK and were transferred to the USPS at the New York hub.

Tracking information shows them in Miami, Florida.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:55 pm My tires shipped from the UK to JFK and were transferred to the USPS at the New York hub.

:thisisfine:
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:55 pm My tires shipped from the UK to JFK and were transferred to the USPS at the New York hub.

:boxodicks:
Johnny_P

Biked to work today on the cross rig. Gonna stop by the shop after work and get some new tars for it. Thinking WTB Nano 40's. They air up to 40mm size, rather than the current 35's that air up to 31mm :disappoint:

https://www.wtb.com/products/nano-40c

Tan wall or black wall?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:11 am Biked to work today on the cross rig. Gonna stop by the shop after work and get some new tars for it. Thinking WTB Nano 40's. They air up to 40mm size, rather than the current 35's that air up to 31mm :disappoint:

Tan wall or black wall?
Tan wall you hipster.
Johnny_P

Strava heat map is useful for finding hidden trails :notbad:

Gonna go explore a few rogue trails in FDR Park.

Dog will probably pee on the floor doe. :notsure: :aintcare:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:18 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:11 am Biked to work today on the cross rig. Gonna stop by the shop after work and get some new tars for it. Thinking WTB Nano 40's. They air up to 40mm size, rather than the current 35's that air up to 31mm :disappoint:

Tan wall or black wall?
Tan wall you hipster.
The votes are tallied, the verdict is in. Tan wall CRUSHED black wall with a score of 1-0

:amazing:

We'll see which juans they have in stock at ye olde shoppe.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:40 pm
Apex wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:18 am

Tan wall you hipster.
The votes are tallied, the verdict is in. Tan wall CRUSHED black wall with a score of 1-0

LBS don't stock anything doe. :mindblown:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:40 pm

LBS don't stock anything doe. :mindblown:
I know, I'm expecting the "we don't have those but could order it or here try these instead" discussion.
Johnny_P

So that was fun. FDR has a bunch of rogue fishing trails that are rideable. More MTB than cross but it works.

Got the brown tires. :fuckyeah: and paid for them with my $150 10-year service award gift card from my company :fuckyeah:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

My tires are now in North Carolina.

Man I hate the USPS.