Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 pm

But a squishy bike lets you hit all the things and tear shit up regardless.
Including ribs!

That's a nice Giant doe. But you can get an aluminum Anthem pretty cheap sooooo....
You can do a Stance 2 for cheap. $1365 list. It's basically the same as the wife's Embolden. You don't get boost spacing or the Maestro suspension, but you get a solid enough rig.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-2

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Including ribs!

That's a nice Giant doe. But you can get an aluminum Anthem pretty cheap sooooo....
You can do a Stance 2 for cheap. $1365 list. It's basically the same as the wife's Embolden. You don't get boost spacing or the Maestro suspension, but you get a solid enough rig.

That's a pretty solid deal.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm

That's a pretty solid deal.
I think I paid $1300 with tax for hers when I bought it last October... it'd been out for maybe 3-4 weeks as a new 17 model.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I didn't realize how cheap the full squish Giants were. Maybe I should've done one of them? I paid $1300 for my hardtail. :notsure:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
rockchops wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:45 pm In4 hardtails. I used to love solid forks too. It's like :manuel: steering in a car. It absolutely sucks I'm some situations but fun in others, almost always more dangerous.
I hated mountain biking until I got a suspension fork.
I wouldn't go without a nice soft fork nowadays because getting older and wiser but back in my heyday I used to love the solid fork. My old school GF Wahoo with the steel fork was amazing.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 pm I didn't realize how cheap the full squish Giants were. Maybe I should've done one of them? I paid $1300 for my hardtail. :notsure:
Your bike's spec'd out much better than a $1300 squish bike, doe. Half the reason I went the cheap route with her bike was I had several parts to move over to upgrade.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 pm I didn't realize how cheap the full squish Giants were. Maybe I should've done one of them? I paid $1300 for my hardtail. :notsure:
Your hardtail has better components than a $1300 squisher.
Do the benefits of better components outweigh the advantages of full squish though? Do the components make that big of a difference?
Johnny_P

rockchops wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I hated mountain biking until I got a suspension fork.
I wouldn't go without a nice soft fork nowadays because getting older and wiser but back in my heyday I used to love the solid fork. My old school GF Wahoo with the steel fork was amazing.
Do you still ride?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
rockchops wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 pm I wouldn't go without a nice soft fork nowadays because getting older and wiser but back in my heyday I used to love the solid fork. My old school GF Wahoo with the steel fork was amazing.
Do you still ride?
Nope but I want to. Everything I do is city/road
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:29 pm They make a bigger difference than you'd think.

They'll last longer, work better, and allow you to ride the bike without dumping money into making a bike into something you should've bought from the gun.

Also, a hardtail is less complex and more durable, and will make you a better rider over time. Spend a year or two on a hardtail then invest in a squisher.
Bolded is what I'm really after. It's why the Orbea was so appealing, honestly. Great spec for the price and it was something I thought I could learn on for a couple years without needing to upgrade anything.

Fathom seems similar, but more trail focused, which is really what I wanted in the first place. 1x drivetrain, dropper, 27.5...checks all the boxes. :notsure: how the 67* head tube angle will feel, but only one way to find out. Hopefully they'll have one to try out at the MTB festival in Brown County next weekend.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I guess it depends on your riding style and where you're at as a rider. For me, full squish isn't so much about comfort as it is about maintaining traction as I hammer. The hard tails I've ridden in the past would bounce the rear pretty bad when hammering on tree roots, rocks, etc. I'm sure you can develop a riding style to accommodate, but that wasn't for me. I couldn't ride something that wasn't full squish. And if you think you're going to want a full squish eventually, you'll be flushing a lot of money away on a hard tail. Bikes depreciate something awful.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

But, agreed on quality components. Especially if you're going to ride often. Casual/easy riding probably isn't as crucial, but for frequent hard riding, you want better end stuff. In the Giant world, that's spending over $2k...which is still pretty reasonable compared to other makes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 am But, agreed on quality components. Especially if you're going to ride often. Casual/easy riding probably isn't as crucial, but for frequent hard riding, you want better end stuff. In the Giant world, that's spending over $2k...which is still pretty reasonable compared to other makes.
Giant really has some :notbad: pricing on their rigs.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:29 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Do the benefits of better components outweigh the advantages of full squish though? Do the components make that big of a difference?
They make a bigger difference than you'd think.

They'll last longer, work better, and allow you to ride the bike without dumping money into making a bike into something you should've bought from the gun.

Also, a hardtail is less complex and more durable, and will make you a better rider over time. Spend a year or two on a hardtail then invest in a squisher.
The fork is the biggest thing that stands out in my mind. The Orbea has one of the best forks on the market, that FS Giant has a much slimmer, more noodly fork that will ride harsher and track worse. The rest of the parts, it's all a toss up but the Orbea's parts are far less likely to break. You could spend the same amount on either, sure, but you'll very quickly end up spending repair money on the FS where you wouldn't on the hardtail.

That's the benefit of getting a hardtail vs a full suspension, until you get into the $2500 ish range.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:54 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 am But, agreed on quality components. Especially if you're going to ride often. Casual/easy riding probably isn't as crucial, but for frequent hard riding, you want better end stuff. In the Giant world, that's spending over $2k...which is still pretty reasonable compared to other makes.
Giant really has some :notbad: pricing on their rigs.
They have a lot of buying power and a gigantic factory. Equals lower price points.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Anyone riding tomorrow? I might be able to do Sunday too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I'm getting out on the bike for the first time in a while tomorrow :fuckyeah:

Me and my friend are going up to a place neither one of us has tried, Lake Norman State Park.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:12 pm I'm getting out on the bike for the first time in a while tomorrow :fuckyeah:

Me and my friend are going up to a place neither one of us has tried, Lake Norman State Park.
Johnny_P

I hope they can order the gray one. If I can get the 2017 advanced SX for $4k OTD I'd do it. Otherwise the yellow one is the better deal, and worth the upgrade from the regular aluminum bike because of the carbon rams and Rockshox suspension. Curiously the only frame difference between the aluminum and carbon is the front triangle. They both have alloy rear ends.

I wouldn't be opposed to an alloy one though. The Anthem 2 has a Fox GRIP fork and Float performance rear which isn't bad. If it's not good enough I'm sure a CF wheelset would make up the difference in stiffness, and a Pike fork is $800 - $300? resale of the Fox fork so $500 upgrade cost. Bikesmith and Cadence apparently have the Anthem 2's in stock, one has the blue, one has the black.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-2-2018

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

But the Fox34 is the OEM only Fox Rhythm fork on the Anthem 2.

It's a shame there isn't an Anthem Advanced in the middle. There's a $1500 gap in their lineup that could be filled.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:46 pm But the Fox34 is the OEM only Fox Rhythm fork on the Anthem 2.

It's a shame there isn't an Anthem Advanced in the middle. There's a $1500 gap in their lineup that could be filled.
Well, I think they offer a nice package with the Advanced 2 that I test rode, really. $4k gets you crabon all around, crabon ramz, RS suspension. Solid. I just don't like the :gag: highlighter yellow color, lol.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:46 pm But the Fox34 is the OEM only Fox Rhythm fork on the Anthem 2.

Well, I think they offer a nice package with the Advanced 2 that I test rode, really. $4k gets you crabon all around, crabon ramz, RS suspension. Solid. I just don't like the :gag: highlighter yellow color, lol.
I think the AA2 is in a solid sweet spot with what you get. I kind of dig the color.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:13 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 pm

I think the AA2 is in a solid sweet spot with what you get. I kind of dig the color.
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Well I broke the goddamned Whorbea on Saturday.... Should be an easy fix, don't have time and want to ride next weekend, so I'm dropping it by the shop this morning.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:40 am Well I broke the goddamned Whorbea on Saturday.... Should be an easy fix, don't have time and want to ride next weekend, so I'm dropping it by the shop this morning.
What happened?