Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:30 pm So apparently the 5010 wants to play and jump and stuff while the Bronson wants to stay glued to the ground for moar speed and gobble up terrain? I know which one I'd rather ride.
The Anthem Advanced?
Probably. It's lighter, cheaper, and still very fun.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Would seem to be right up your alley, :wasteful:.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/bike/trail-429/

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:39 pm Would seem to be right up your alley, :wasteful:.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/bike/trail-429/

Possibru. But I ain't buying that shit if I can't try it out. Tried a 429T and.... meh? It rode really stiff. The Switchblade was way more fun and plush and jumpy. Would be worth a shot if I found a place that had them.

If a switchblade came up at a good price I'd coRnsider it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:03 pm Possibru. But I ain't buying that shit if I can't try it out. Tried a 429T and.... meh? It rode really stiff. The Switchblade was way more fun and plush and jumpy. Would be worth a shot if I found a place that had them.

Switchblade, you say?

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:03 pm Possibru. But I ain't buying that shit if I can't try it out. Tried a 429T and.... meh? It rode really stiff. The Switchblade was way more fun and plush and jumpy. Would be worth a shot if I found a place that had them.

Switchblade, you say?

That damn hub sounds like ass :triggered:

Bike sounds pretty rad though. Previous Mach 429T had a really stiff chassis that transmitted every single initial hit through the frame to you which I found annoying. I kind of want a couch that wants to just jump and pop off of every single thing on the trail. 429 was missing the couch aspect, the Switchblade seemed to have it. It's overkill for this area though. Maybe the 429 is more composed on an actual trail though, I was riding it on the street without clip in pedals.

The Anthem felt that way, surprisingly. I just hate the way it looks. 5010 felt that way when I test rode the 1st gen years ago but it didn't pedal well at all. The Anthem pedals a lot better. Then again 5010 now has been through 2 suspension revisions so who knows.

Honestly the Stumpjumper was a really nice bike too. With faster tires it would feel a lot better. It was just so hard to get that bike up and over shit because it soaked it all up in the suspension. But it climbed well, was super plush on the rear at least, etc.

I dunno this is probably a :unicorn: hunt for me. Compounded by how hard it is to find a shop with bikes in stock to ride.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:wasteful: should have hit Nox. Every possible bike/truk/truklet you could want.
Apex

[user not found] let me try out his Whorbea for a section today. That bike loves to descend, very confidence inspiring. 29s took a little extra leg to rotate but that is to be expected. Drivetrain was nice and solid brakes.
Geometry was completely different than what I’m used to but didn’t feel wrong at all.

Now to try out a 27.5 and a 27+ out on a trail sometime.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 pm [user not found] let me try out his Whorbea for a section today. That bike loves to descend, very confidence inspiring. 29s took a little extra leg to rotate but that is to be expected. Drivetrain was nice and solid brakes.
Geometry was completely different than what I’m used to but didn’t feel wrong at all.

Wait, you haven’t ridden mine?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:49 pm :wasteful: should have hit Nox. Every possible bike/truk/truklet you could want.
:foreveralone:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Bummed the pump track was closed.

Ride at Nox was solid. Shoulder is a bit stiff but nothing serious.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:49 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 pm [user not found] let me try out his Whorbea for a section today. That bike loves to descend, very confidence inspiring. 29s took a little extra leg to rotate but that is to be expected. Drivetrain was nice and solid brakes.

Wait, you haven’t ridden mine?
Only around the parking lot at Mercer.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Apex

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 am Here's some tire options on sale at Jenson right now. They only have the Ardent Exo's in 2.4 so I wouldn't be able to run staggered.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Continental-X ... on-29-Tire

https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Ardent ... Ready-Tire

https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Minion-DHR-II-29-Tire

https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Aggressor-29-Tire

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The Conti’s that are on [user not found]’s Whorbea were really nice. Idk anything about the Maxxis tarz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The Conti's would suit that bike pretty well. I'd do a 2.2 rear and a 2.4 front

For Maxxis, I'd do the Ardent. Same thing = 2.25 rear and 2.4 front. MAKE SURE that the Maxxis is the EXO version so if/when you go tubeless you've got the better sidewall.

I'm a fan of the Nobby Nic, too. It rolls quickly and traction is good unless you're hooning it around at the limit.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:39 am That damn hub sounds like ass :triggered:

Bike sounds pretty rad though. Previous Mach 429T had a really stiff chassis that transmitted every single initial hit through the frame to you which I found annoying. I kind of want a couch that wants to just jump and pop off of every single thing on the trail. 429 was missing the couch aspect, the Switchblade seemed to have it. It's overkill for this area though. Maybe the 429 is more composed on an actual trail though, I was riding it on the street without clip in pedals.

The Anthem felt that way, surprisingly. I just hate the way it looks. 5010 felt that way when I test rode the 1st gen years ago but it didn't pedal well at all. The Anthem pedals a lot better. Then again 5010 now has been through 2 suspension revisions so who knows.

Honestly the Stumpjumper was a really nice bike too. With faster tires it would feel a lot better. It was just so hard to get that bike up and over shit because it soaked it all up in the suspension. But it climbed well, was super plush on the rear at least, etc.

I dunno this is probably a :unicorn: hunt for me. Compounded by how hard it is to find a shop with bikes in stock to ride.
Are those two things polar opposites of one another? Either it rides like a couch and soaks up the trail, or it's lively and wants to pop off of everything.

I mean, I can make my bike ride like either just depending on how much air I put in the rear shock and where I set the rebound dampening. Set the rear shock at 195-200 pounds, it soaks up everything and feels pretty planted. Pump it up to 220 and I can get in the air off of the smallest rollers.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:10 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:39 am That damn hub sounds like ass :triggered:

Are those two things polar opposites of one another? Either it rides like a couch and soaks up the trail, or it's lively and wants to pop off of everything.

I mean, I can make my bike ride like either just depending on how much air I put in the rear shock and where I set the rebound dampening. Set the rear shock at 195-200 pounds, it soaks up everything and feels pretty planted. Pump it up to 220 and I can get in the air off of the smallest rollers.
No. Zil's Orbea comes close to what I want, and really would be a great bike. It's fast, comfortable especially on small impacts, and provides a good enough platform to get air off of. 5010 was the same way, just didn't pedal as well. Generally the longer the travel, the more travel you have to overcome to get it airborne, which is why I kind of felt the Stumpy was couch like but hard to pop up on things.

By "pop up on things" I mean ramp off a jump, go over a log, general hooning around.

The Trek was like the Stumpy. Just soaked it all up, but it felt faster due to the tire choice on that bike. Pedaled well. Wasn't very playful. Maybe that was a product of the 29" wheels too.

But the Orbea, 5010, Anthem all seemed to have really nice small bump compliance while being able to also take larger hits and still provided enough platform to easily bunny hop and get air off things.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Going to Blue Mountain bike park on Sunday. Weather should be glorious. Wifey gets done at 11, so we should be up there by 2 to get the half day pass for $27.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 am Here's some tire options on sale at Jenson right now. They only have the Ardent Exo's in 2.4 so I wouldn't be able to run staggered.

What tires are on it now, and what's the issue you're trying to solve? What pressure you running?

I recommend a fatter tire up front. I'd also recommend a more aggressive tread up front. You can get away with smaller tighter spaced tread blocks on the back, will help decrease rolling resistance with minimal impact on rear traction because that's where all your weight is anyway. Front tire has less weight on it, so deeper tread doesn't negatively affect rolling resistance much, but deeper tread allows the front to bite harder and steer better.

So like 2.4 front aggressive tread with wider spaced knobs, 2.0-2.2 rear with less aggressive tread and tightly spaced knobs. In Conti world that would be like a Mountain King front with an X-king rear. In Schwalbe world that might be a Nobby Nic front and a Racing Ralph rear. But my Ralph didn't last long and was stupid expensive and IMO didn't grip enough so I can't recommend that. I currently have a Nobby Nic front with an X-king rear. It works, ish. I do want more overall traction though, mostly in the front. You could do a Magic Mary front and a Nobby Nic rear that would be a rad combo with loads of grip.

I know nothing about Maxxis tires. I think my next tire set will be WTB Trail Boss front and WTB Ranger rear, or maybe a bit more aggressive than that.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:56 am

What tires are on it now, and what's the issue you're trying to solve? What pressure you running?

I recommend a fatter tire up front. I'd also recommend a more aggressive tread up front. You can get away with smaller tighter spaced tread blocks on the back, will help decrease rolling resistance with minimal impact on rear traction because that's where all your weight is anyway. Front tire has less weight on it, so deeper tread doesn't negatively affect rolling resistance much, but deeper tread allows the front to bite harder and steer better.

So like 2.4 front aggressive tread with wider spaced knobs, 2.0-2.2 rear with less aggressive tread and tightly spaced knobs. In Conti world that would be like a Mountain King front with an X-king rear. In Schwalbe world that might be a Nobby Nic front and a Racing Ralph rear. But my Ralph didn't last long and was stupid expensive and IMO didn't grip enough so I can't recommend that. I currently have a Nobby Nic front with an X-king rear. It works, ish. I do want more overall traction though, mostly in the front. You could do a Magic Mary front and a Nobby Nic rear that would be a rad combo with loads of grip.

I know nothing about Maxxis tires. I think my next tire set will be WTB Trail Boss front and WTB Ranger rear, or maybe a bit more aggressive than that.
Tires on the bike right now are 2.1 Schwalbe Rocket Ron's IIRC. Lots of grip issues, super narrow XC Racey type tire. He's running tubes.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:00 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:56 am

Tires on the bike right now are 2.1 Schwalbe Rocket Ron's IIRC. Lots of grip issues, super narrow XC Racey type tire. He's running tubes.
Front washout or rear sliding? Could just leave the Ron on the back and put a more gnarly tire on the front for starters. I don't think a RoRo would make a good front tire. Pair it with a Nic up front, if that still sucks, throw the Nic on the rear and put a Mary on the front.

Yeah those are light, fragile XC tires that are designed for hardpack. Would be a handful on wet roots or loose over hard. X-king is also an XC race tire but I'd pick it over the Ron. But I'd want a more aggressive front than that. Especially if you're running tubes and can't drop the pressure.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am Going to Blue Mountain bike park on Sunday. Weather should be glorious. Wifey gets done at 11, so we should be up there by 2 to get the half day pass for $27.
:notbad:

pex? [user not found]?
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:00 am

Front washout or rear sliding? Could just leave the Ron on the back and put a more gnarly tire on the front for starters. I don't think a RoRo would make a good front tire. Pair it with a Nic up front, if that still sucks, throw the Nic on the rear and put a Mary on the front.

Yeah those are light, fragile XC tires that are designed for hardpack. Would be a handful on wet roots or loose over hard. X-king is also an XC race tire but I'd pick it over the Ron. But I'd want a more aggressive front than that. Especially if you're running tubes and can't drop the pressure.
Not even rocket rons. They're 2.1 rapid robs which do seem to be very racey. Knock on wood but I haven't had a flat although I think the rear has a very slight leak. I just pump it up beforehand and it seems fine for the ride.

The front tire was washing out and I had my pressures at 30psi yesterday.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am Going to Blue Mountain bike park on Sunday. Weather should be glorious. Wifey gets done at 11, so we should be up there by 2 to get the half day pass for $27.
:fuckyeah:

I’ll be getting home from LBI sometime on Sunday so I can’t make it.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm

pex? [user not found]?
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 am

Not even rocket rons. They're 2.1 rapid robs which do seem to be very racey. Knock on wood but I haven't had a flat although I think the rear has a very slight leak. I just pump it up beforehand and it seems fine for the ride.

I'd probably just change out the front tire then :iono: That Rapid Rob looks pretty decent as a rear I guess.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:37 pm

pex? [user not found]?

Put your weight a little more forward, that'll help a bit with front bite. Also, tarz would help.

A 2.4 with a 2.25 would do well. I've been running X-kings on my bikes for a few years now, they do well around here.

Also, can't do Blue Mountain - supposedly riding Allaire with the wife. :notsure:
:popcorn:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:37 pm

pex? [user not found]?

Put your weight a little more forward, that'll help a bit with front bite. Also, tarz would help.

A 2.4 with a 2.25 would do well. I've been running X-kings on my bikes for a few years now, they do well around here.

Also, can't do Blue Mountain - supposedly riding Allaire with the wife. :notsure:
You're also an MTB cyborg sooooooo.

It looks like the 2.25 Ardent Exo isn't listed under the actually exo variant. It's with the regular tubeless ready one if you check the drop down.

:wasteful: Can you do blue mountain sunday?