DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Jaxper wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:24 pm

A buddy of mine ran it for almost a year and got really good size gains. I'll see how it works for me for a while. Gonna give it at least 6 months and then I'll see about doing 531 for more strength.

Were you following all the diet advice with it too?
That I recall, yeah. I was on an unlimited meal plan at college. :lol:
Apex wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:27 pm TL:DR on DoggCrapp?
IIRC, you basically take everything to failure so that you completely and utterly maximize your time under tension.
:notsure: you'd have been hitting 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight every day on college food...

@apex, what Jax said. You only do one working set per muscle group per day but you take it to absolute failure with rest pause sets and stuff like that. Then you do weighted stretches to force the fascia surrounding the muscle to grow. You lift three days a week and you hit everything three times over a two week period. A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3, repeat. Every muscle group is hit in a certain order on each day. Every time you do A1 you use the same exercises but you try to get more weight or more reps within the rep range you're shooting for on each lift. (so standard progressive overload, but you don't vary your exercises at all).
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:57 pm
Jaxper wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:24 pm

That I recall, yeah. I was on an unlimited meal plan at college. :lol:

IIRC, you basically take everything to failure so that you completely and utterly maximize your time under tension.
:notsure: you'd have been hitting 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight every day on college food...

@apex, what Jax said. You only do one working set per muscle group per day but you take it to absolute failure with rest pause sets and stuff like that. Then you do weighted stretches to force the fascia surrounding the muscle to grow. You lift three days a week and you hit everything three times over a two week period. A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3, repeat. Every muscle group is hit in a certain order on each day. Every time you do A1 you use the same exercises but you try to get more weight or more reps within the rep range you're shooting for on each lift. (so standard progressive overload, but you don't vary your exercises at all).
:word: Thanks for the break-down.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Well, I've been making good, steady progress after finishing a good 12 weeks of nothing but kettlebell work. Was definitely the break I needed from weights to get some energy back in my training. Good news is I hit a triple at 315 on deads today. Followed that up with some hip hinge work - loaded 185 on the bar and just worked the last half of the movement, lowering the bar to my knees, then working on my posterior chain to bring the bar back to a lockout position. On my last rep I decided "fuck it, I'll just clean this up to the rack" and as soon as I started the pull from just below my knees, by back went. :rage:

Several months without a back tweak, but it's my fault. Left hip and hamstring felt a bit spicy today and I tried to do all that work anyway. Should have been a light single-legged day with some bodyweight hamstring curls or something, but noooo. :rolleyes:

Thankfully the tweak feels pretty minor, but damn. Hopefully this doesn't set me back for too long.
SAWCE

Did my first DC night last night.
I'll post up the numbers when I get home tonight and can check my notebook. Cool training idea, but I'll definitely need to learn to take things to absolute failure. Definitely stopped a few reps short on stuff last night.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 pm Did my first DC night last night.
I'll post up the numbers when I get home tonight and can check my notebook. Cool training idea, but I'll definitely need to learn to take things to absolute failure. Definitely stopped a few reps short on stuff last night.
:pussy:

:hue:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:36 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 pm Did my first DC night last night.

:(
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:42 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the new program doe. Will take a little getting used to I am sure.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the new program doe. Will take a little getting used to I am sure.
Yeah, I'm expecting this first month to be figuiring out what weight to use and teaching myself to mentally push past when I want to stop. Ideally I'll run it for 6-8 months and then go back to 531 or something.
SAWCE

Night two of DC..

Barbell curl, hammer curl, standing calves, glute ham raise (felt great, I've never really done these before, but I definitely need to load them heavier next time.), then leg press.

Loving how fast these workout are, but again, I need to mentally push past where I think I'm currently failing.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:35 pm Night two of DC..

Barbell curl, hammer curl, standing calves, glute ham raise (felt great, I've never really done these before, but I definitely need to load them heavier next time.), then leg press.

Loving how fast these workout are, but again, I need to mentally push past where I think I'm currently failing.
:impressive:
Took me a while to be comfortable with them enough to want to load them. Maybe I was doing them wrong though. :dunno:

Anywho, I got my personalized program from Brian Alsruhe yesterday and started it this morning. Holy hell. I thought I worked hard before. He had me dripping in sweat not even halfway through the workout. My entire shirt was a darker shade by the end of it.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Jaxper wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:35 pm Night two of DC..

Took me a while to be comfortable with them enough to want to load them. Maybe I was doing them wrong though. :dunno:

Anywho, I got my personalized program from Brian Alsruhe yesterday and started it this morning. Holy hell. I thought I worked hard before. He had me dripping in sweat not even halfway through the workout. My entire shirt was a darker shade by the end of it.
Never heard of him. What style of lifting, and how much is he charging you?
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 pm
Jaxper wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 am

He's Maryland's Strongest Man (in the open class, I believe, even though he's barely above the minimum) - I've shared/recommended a bunch of his videos in here before, primarily directed at Griff and Brad. Check him out, he's such a humble dude!

It was $150 for a 12 week program. I'll definitely run it a few times - especially after we buy a house (not planned yet, but likely next year at some point) and have more space/ceiling height to work with. The main goal of mine was to improve on the big 4 and get my workouts done in ~1.5hrs whilst getting a bunch of volume. He's a big proponent of leveraging giant sets.

I'd been slacking off in the gym lately, so this gave me some financial accountability.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Jaxper wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 pm

He's Maryland's Strongest Man (in the open class, I believe, even though he's barely above the minimum) - I've shared/recommended a bunch of his videos in here before, primarily directed at Griff and Brad. Check him out, he's such a humble dude!

It was $150 for a 12 week program. I'll definitely run it a few times - especially after we buy a house (not planned yet, but likely next year at some point) and have more space/ceiling height to work with. The main goal of mine was to improve on the big 4 and get my workouts done in ~1.5hrs whilst getting a bunch of volume. He's a big proponent of leveraging giant sets.

I'd been slacking off in the gym lately, so this gave me some financial accountability.
Nice man. The financial accountability is always nice to have, espeically since you have the home gym and don't have a monthly membership to keep you on the hook to going to the gym.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Good lifting session last night despite packing the wrong shoes.

I think I'm getting to the point where i prob need an actual program :doe: I'll see how next week goes.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Excited about working B2 tonight
Preacher curl
Reverse grip barbell curl
Donkey calf raise
Laying curl
Back squat
Back squat widowmaker
SAWCE

Workout was cool last night. Need to push the widowmaker harder next time. Only used 135 for that 20 rep set after having done 245x8 for the straight set. I'll bump the straight set up to 255 next week and go to 155 for the widow maker. Weight selection on everything else was pretty close to where it needed to be for the prescribed failure ranges.

Gonna start being good about doing abs and cardio in the mornings on the off days, so Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Sunday will be a complete recovery day.. maybe some yoga at home or something.

Today I just walked at an incline on the treadmill for 20 minutes and then hit some abs. I'm gonna reverse this in the future and do abs first and finish with the cardio and maybe some foam rolling. Since I'm doing three different cardio days, I'll cycle through treadmill, stairstepper, and stationary bike so that I don't get too bored. I'll follow a progressive overload schedule for them as well, making sure that each session is a little more demanding than the previous time I hit it.

Abs I'll cycle through doing upper abs and an oblique crunch, lower abs and a twisting oblique movement, and then an antiflexion movement for abs and anti rotation movement for obliques (yes I know you can't actually target "upper" and "lower" abs since it's all just one sheet of muscle, but I do believe there is benefit in hitting it from different angles like you would with your chest or any other body part). Today was kneeling cable crunches, and then cable oblique crunches.. Thursday will be hanging knee/leg raises and cable twists. Saturday will be ab rollouts, and then pallof presses/holds.

Excited to be back on training cardio and abs consistently, especially with how productive my morning felt today. Sets me up to be productive the rest of the day.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Walked on the treadmill?? :disgust:

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:16 pm Walked on the treadmill?? :disgust:

It was at an incline if that helps at all :iono:

2.6mph speed. Level 3 incline. I'll work my way up to 3mph speed and then start increasing the incline. I also need to move up to 30 minutes from the 20 that I did today.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 pm Image

If that's true, then you're Sauron and I'm a lowly Desert :bruh: street rat.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I went for a walk outside this morning... was going to go for a run, but my legs are sore as fuck from my workout yesterday and from the longest swim of my life Saturday.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I'm wiped after my deadlift workout yesterday (delayed a day) and my OHP workout this morning. I'm thinking I'll need a coffee this afternoon since I have a late hockey game tonight as well.
The panda hath arrived.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Jaxper wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 am I'm wiped after my deadlift workout yesterday (delayed a day) and my OHP workout this morning. I'm thinking I'll need a coffee this afternoon since I have a late hockey game tonight as well.
Late hockey games as adults, ugh. All the young whipper-snappers get the good ice time and us olds get stuck playing crazy late and being dead for work the next day. When we start up next week my games are going to be Wednesdays at 10:55 way out in the burbs 30 minutes from my house. Thursday mornings are going to suck! :disgust:
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:12 am
Jaxper wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 am I'm wiped after my deadlift workout yesterday (delayed a day) and my OHP workout this morning. I'm thinking I'll need a coffee this afternoon since I have a late hockey game tonight as well.
Late hockey games as adults, ugh. All the young whipper-snappers get the good ice time and us olds get stuck playing crazy late and being dead for work the next day. When we start up next week my games are going to be Wednesdays at 10:55 way out in the burbs 30 minutes from my house. Thursday mornings are going to suck! :disgust:
You said it. Ours is at 10:15. Fortunately, it's at the rink 2 miles from my house. Normally I work from home on Thursdays to sleep in a bit, but I'm not sure I'll be able to swing it this week.
The panda hath arrived.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I did my weight lifting routine last night after a 5 day break (did some HIIT classes in there :doe:) and felt really good.

I am moving around non-insignificant masses of iron.
brain go brrrrrr