DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

coogles wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:30 pm Got the equivalent of the lunk alarm sounded on me today for doing C&J's. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to set down 225 from directly overhead as if it's a 5 pound dumbbell. Time to find a new gym. Ugh.

:rage:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That’s a bummer. I was worried about deadlifting in my new gym, cause I’d heard they’re touchy about that. Didn’t have any trouble with them when I lifted on Monday though. 375x8 :fuckyeah:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote:
coogles wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:30 pm Got the equivalent of the lunk alarm sounded on me today for doing C&J's. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to set down 225 from directly overhead as if it's a 5 pound dumbbell. Time to find a new gym. Ugh.

That’s a bummer. I was worried about deadlifting in my new gym, cause I’d heard they’re touchy about that. Didn’t have any trouble with them when I lifted on Monday though. 375x8 :fuckyeah:
Yeah man, it's total bummer. I think part of the problem was just that it was the busy post-work hours. I've done Oly lifting there before and dropped weights on missed reps and such and never had a problem. :iono:

Still probably time to find a new spot. The place is a madhouse and as much of a hookup spot as it is a real gym. For a married dude who just wants to do some real work it's definitely not ideal.

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm

I didn't think you dropped your deadlifts doe?
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm

I didn't think you dropped your deadlifts doe?
I’m pretty good about lowering gently during my set, but I was definitely more conscious of that at the new gym.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

coogles wrote:
SAWCE wrote: That’s a bummer. I was worried about deadlifting in my new gym, cause I’d heard they’re touchy about that. Didn’t have any trouble with them when I lifted on Monday though. 375x8 :fuckyeah:
Yeah man, it's total bummer. I think part of the problem was just that it was the busy post-work hours. I've done Oly lifting there before and dropped weights on missed reps and such and never had a problem. :iono:

Still probably time to find a new spot. The place is a madhouse and as much of a hookup spot as it is a real gym. For a married dude who just wants to do some real work it's definitely not ideal.

Someone complained.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Calvinball wrote:
coogles wrote:Yeah man, it's total bummer. I think part of the problem was just that it was the busy post-work hours. I've done Oly lifting there before and dropped weights on missed reps and such and never had a problem. :iono:

Someone complained.

Yeah, he told me as much. Sissies.

Apex

coogles wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:25 am
Calvinball wrote:
Someone complained.

Yeah, he told me as much. Sissies.

Your awesomeness clearly got in the way of someone's mirror selfie.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote:
coogles wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:25 am Yeah, he told me as much. Sissies.

Your awesomeness clearly got in the way of someone's mirror selfie.
lol :dat:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The whole "no dropping weight" thing is :bs:

I feel that you should be able to set down a dead if you're working with that weight, but with Olympic stuff/pushing maxes, it's going to happen sometimes. That's why there are padded floors, mats, rubber wrapped plates, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:16 pm I OHP'd 135 X1 on Friday, the first time in my life I have ever pressed plates. That's about 14 months of 5/3/1.
DL concluded at 280 X2, I think I started at 135.

Decent.
Nice man!

Still getting used to the machines at the new gym. Smith machine feels weirdly heavy. At the old gym I had 175lbs (bar included @ 45lbs) on the smith and was hitting seated shoulder press for 17 reps with two rest pause sets in there. Last week at the new gym I hit a total of 8 reps with 135lbs (bar included).. Unreal. Similar with incline press.. was up at 245 at the old gym, stuggled with 185 last night at new gym.

Deadlifts are feeling good though. Hit 275 for 8 reps last night. I'll try to remember to film the leg press set tomorrow night.. should be hitting around 770lbs or so..
Back when I had only the Planet Fitness membershit to use on the road, I had to do a lot of my work on Smith machines. I noticed even at PF when they're all the same two designs, the "weight" varies quite a bit. I think this is mostly due to lubrication or lack thereof on the rails, the resistance isn't actually the weight of the bar, but the resistance of the mechanism itself.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:47 am The whole "no dropping weight" thing is :bs:

I feel that you should be able to set down a dead if you're working with that weight, but with Olympic stuff/pushing maxes, it's going to happen sometimes. That's why there are padded floors, mats, rubber wrapped plates, etc.
:word:

If you miss a rep and drop a deadlift, I get that, but you definitely shouldn't be dropping every rep. That shit annoys me. Dropping oly lifts though is typically how they're performed doe. Highly explosive and technical lifting portion, then drop it to conserve energy for the next rep/set.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Nice man!

Still getting used to the machines at the new gym. Smith machine feels weirdly heavy. At the old gym I had 175lbs (bar included @ 45lbs) on the smith and was hitting seated shoulder press for 17 reps with two rest pause sets in there. Last week at the new gym I hit a total of 8 reps with 135lbs (bar included).. Unreal. Similar with incline press.. was up at 245 at the old gym, stuggled with 185 last night at new gym.

Deadlifts are feeling good though. Hit 275 for 8 reps last night. I'll try to remember to film the leg press set tomorrow night.. should be hitting around 770lbs or so..
Back when I had only the Planet Fitness membershit to use on the road, I had to do a lot of my work on Smith machines. I noticed even at PF when they're all the same two designs, the "weight" varies quite a bit. I think this is mostly due to lubrication or lack thereof on the rails, the resistance isn't actually the weight of the bar, but the resistance of the mechanism itself.
Yeah I've noticed that too. It's not a big deal, I'll just have to adjust my weights slightly to make sure I'm hitting the rep range I want. Between switching gyms and travelling, these last few weeks have been shitty for the gym. Glad t-day is a thursday so I can just wake up and do my cardio and not have to worry about missing a lifting session. then Christmas I'll just have to check hours for the gyms back up at home and out in Carlsbad. Don't imagine I'll get to lift at all on Christmas day, so I'll probably bump everything up a day and lift Christmas eve, then Tuesday and Thursday of that week.
Apex

https://startingstrength.com/training/t ... ersistence

Three hundred and thirty pounds overhead. :mindblown:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:47 am The whole "no dropping weight" thing is :bs:

If you miss a rep and drop a deadlift, I get that, but you definitely shouldn't be dropping every rep. That shit annoys me. Dropping oly lifts though is typically how they're performed doe. Highly explosive and technical lifting portion, then drop it to conserve energy for the next rep/set.
The whole "Oly lift" thing is loud AF. I mean, lifting weights isn't gentle and quiet for sure, but tossing 250 lbs from overhead to the ground is rough on equipment, loud as fuck, causes a scene, and people shouldn't just expect to walk into any gym and be able to do it. If you want to perform Olympic lifts, you need to find a place that it is equipped for it, both from an equipment standpoint and from a neighbor standpoint. Or build your own setup.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:37 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 am

The whole "Oly lift" thing is loud AF. I mean, lifting weights isn't gentle and quiet for sure, but tossing 250 lbs from overhead to the ground is rough on equipment, loud as fuck, causes a scene, and people shouldn't just expect to walk into any gym and be able to do it. If you want to perform Olympic lifts, you need to find a place that it is equipped for it, both from an equipment standpoint and from a neighbor standpoint. Or build your own setup.
That's a good point as well. If I wasn't in a gym that didn't have the rubber bumper plates and platforms that were built for it, I wouldn't do it in a normal commercial gym.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This morning's lift was pretty weak... Got 120X6 for OHP on my first week of this 531 cycle. I expected/needed more for a new PR, just feeling a little under the weather coming off my deload week.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm This morning's lift was pretty weak... Got 120X6 for OHP on my first week of this 531 cycle. I expected/needed more for a new PR, just feeling a little under the weather coming off my deload week.
I was 120 X 3 two days ago. :flaccid:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Squats sucked today. 265x3. Last time I got 265x4. I think I could have gotten more, but I came down weird on that third rep and getting it up was way harder than it should have been. Really need to hit 5-8 reps with that next time. Got 165x20 on my back off set afterwards though, so that felt nice.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote:Squats sucked today. 265x3. Last time I got 265x4. I think I could have gotten more, but I came down weird on that third rep and getting it up was way harder than it should have been. Really need to hit 5-8 reps with that next time. Got 165x20 on my back off set afterwards though, so that felt nice.
Nice.

Just did the BBB leg day, DL of 275X11. Squats 5X10 at 175. These work outs are hard.
Calvinball

I’ma go in for leg day tomorrow, but unplanned week off for upper body.

I sliced into my knuckle pretty badly and if I go and try to grip things it’ll open back up and start bleeding. Hopefully it’ll be good enough to go maybe by Friday.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

This week/ yesterday:

good: did some of my back squats at 315, dat stong gettin stronger
rows with 100 lb dumbbell
calf raises going well and getting toned
generally feeling quite good & stronger
Keeping good average HR (over 150)

Bad:
still can't hit all my bench press reps at 225. I got 13 monday, 17 thursday :disappoint: I'm totally stuck at this weight/endurance for this move.
Last edited by goIftdibrad on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:08 am This week/ yesterday:

good: did some of my back squats at 395, dat stong gettin stronger

Bad:
still can't hit all my bench press reps at 225. I got 13 monday, 17 thursday :disappoint: I'm totally stuck at this weight/endurance for this move.
395 squat is :notbad:
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:08 am This week/ yesterday:

good: did some of my back squats at 395, dat stong gettin stronger

Bad:
I didn't realize you were squatting any where near that kind of weight.. that's :impressive: I haven't even tried hitting in the 300s again yet.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

lol, my math sucks. 315. my bad
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:lol, my math sucks. 315. my bad
:lolol:

I got a full week in this week for the first time in months, I’d guess.

:fuckyeah: