DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:53 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:51 pm

:troywax: dang thats alot.
How much is your monthly gym membership? It's an investment for sure.
77. buts thats for both the wife and I, includes unlimited classes, and daycare once the spawn is old enough.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:55 pm

77. buts thats for both the wife and I, includes unlimited classes, and daycare once the spawn is old enough.
:word:
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:36 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:33 pm

I need to look into this. save money on gym, save time. but the gym isn't really a huge time suck for me the way traffic works out.
@Jaxper has a sweet home gym setup.

Basic stuff to start off with; rack, bench, barbell, weights. You can get plates off CL's for cheap if you keep an eye out. All in to start you're probably looking at about a grand for everything, could be more if you wanted to get fancier.

I didn't get a notification on the tag for some reason, but yeah - home gymming is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing is the obvious convenience and not having to deal with dumb shits hogging equipment. But the curse can be summed up in these quotes:
  • "I'll get out there and lift as soon as I finish what I'm doing right now."
  • "I'll get out there and lift after lunch."
  • "I'll get out there and lift in a few hours."
  • "I'll get out there and lift tomorrow."
Anywho, in total spending for gym related items, I'm up to around 3 grand over the 2+ years I've had it. BUT I wasn't patient with hunting on craigslist, except for when I bought more weight (iron plates). Assuming you bought EXACTLY what I did, and all at once, at 77/mo for membership plus gas (for you and your wife), you'd be looking at breaking even in ~3 years. Not to mention the time savings on what it takes you to drive to the gym (depending on how much you value this extra time).

I want to reiterate that there are DEFINITELY cheaper paths (Titan rack vs Rogue, etc) to the one I took to getting a good home gym setup, but I think it's a worthy investment if your health and time are something that you value highly, like I do. If this is something that either of you (or anyone on this board, for that matter) is considering, I'm more than happy to help. I put together a spreadsheet of everything I remember buying for a friend a while back that I can email to anyone interested - just PM me your email address.
The panda hath arrived.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:20 am
Apex wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 am I needs to DYELB again... A couple more months and we can drop the little one off at the gym day-care doe, so will definitely get back on schedule then.
That's one of the parts of owning a child that I'm not looking forward to.
What, not being able to lift weights?

:lolgasm:

If that goes into your decision making process, you should probably pass. It is only the beginning of a long list of indignities most of which are far worse.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

Jaxper wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Basic stuff to start off with; rack, bench, barbell, weights. You can get plates off CL's for cheap if you keep an eye out. All in to start you're probably looking at about a grand for everything, could be more if you wanted to get fancier.

I didn't get a notification on the tag for some reason, but yeah - home gymming is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing is the obvious convenience and not having to deal with dumb shits hogging equipment. But the curse can be summed up in these quotes:
Anywho, in total spending for gym related items, I'm up to around 3 grand over the 2+ years I've had it. BUT I wasn't patient with hunting on craigslist, except for when I bought more weight (iron plates). Assuming you bought EXACTLY what I did, and all at once, at 77/mo for membership plus gas (for you and your wife), you'd be looking at breaking even in ~3 years. Not to mention the time savings on what it takes you to drive to the gym (depending on how much you value this extra time).

I want to reiterate that there are DEFINITELY cheaper paths (Titan rack vs Rogue, etc) to the one I took to getting a good home gym setup, but I think it's a worthy investment if your health and time are something that you value highly, like I do. If this is something that either of you (or anyone on this board, for that matter) is considering, I'm more than happy to help. I put together a spreadsheet of everything I remember buying for a friend a while back that I can email to anyone interested - just PM me your email address.
I don't think the tag things work on here, but glad you chimed in! I've done most of my lifting with a home gym (buddy sold his condo and moved in with his now wife so that option went away for now). It's really 5/7 if you have the space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Jaxper wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

thanks for the input.

pming email addy
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/gms/d ... 10821.html

hmm... lowball them? i could squat and shit 100 bucks. LOLOL
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/gms/d ... 10821.html

hmm... lowball them? i could squat and shit 100 bucks. LOLOL
:notbad: Would only need some weights and a bench and you can do all the compound lifts that you want.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:41 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:20 am

That's one of the parts of owning a child that I'm not looking forward to.

If that goes into your decision making process, you should probably pass. It is only the beginning of a long list of indignities most of which are far worse.
Haha it doesn't actually go into my decision making. I love lifting weights, but I know I want kids and I know my priorities will shift when they come along and they'll be at the top of my list.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Haha it doesn't actually go into my decision making. I love lifting weights, but I know I want kids and I know my priorities will shift when they come along and they'll be at the top of my list.
I may or may not have been bench pressing my :baby: yesterday. :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:41 pm What, not being able to lift weights?

Imagegasm:

It takes about 2 yrs to get over the hump IME. At that point the family is chilling and free time resurfaces. It's where I'm at now. I probably could've fit in working out if my work schedule wasn't so intense.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I'm going to start https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/borin ... -challenge next week. Will post results/thoughts as I go.
SAWCE

Arms and shoulder superset workout tonight. Was taking longer breaks than I should have in the beginning, but god damn I got a crazy pump.
EZ bar skull crushers/curl/upright row: 6 sets of 10 reps each exercise.

Overhead dumbbell extension/dumbbell hammer curl/machine lateral raise: 6 sets of 10

Machine preacher curl dropset/barbell front delt raise dropset: 3 sets of 10 rep dropsets each. Two drops per set.

Single arm cable triceps pushdown dropset/bent over cable rear delt raise: 3 sets of 10 reps each. Double drops each set on the cable extensions.

Was wearing a tank in the gym, and threw on a shirt after to walk the dogs in since it was so sweaty and gross.. this shirt's sleeves are normally a little loose on my arms, but they would barely stretch over them when I pulled it on. :fuckyeah:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

went back to HIIT class last night.

burned a bunch of calories, but jesus even take off the ~2 months from just that left me...quite winded.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:03 am went back to HIIT class last night.

burned a bunch of calories, but jesus even take off the ~2 months from just that left me...quite winded.
Dude I've been trying to do a tabata protocol for cardio a few times a week and I have yet to make it through all 8 rounds. It's tough. I did that last night and got through 5 rounds of kettle bell swings and then later that night I did like 15-20 minutes of yoga at home. Need to be good about actually doing both of those a few times a week.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

These lower body boring but big work outs make my legs feel like they're going to fall off.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Thought you'd all appreciate to know, I think I'm going to switch focus back to strength training/PL for the time being. WL is a lot of fun but I've been extremely unmotivated to lift since my space does not work well with WL and I'd make too many excuses (gotta rearrange stuff, ze fiance's car is in the way, etc).

I'll probably get back into it once we have more space/ceiling height though because it's been a lot of fun when I can do it. I'll plan to keep working with the Oly coach on Saturdays until my pass runs out.

Now the decision comes down to whether I want to do 531 (or some variation of it) or J&T2 again. HMMM

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk2
The panda hath arrived.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

now that I'm back on the j00se and off stupid clomid, i really feel like I'm making progress in the gym again vs treading water. I did 5 honest reps @ 225 on the bench press yesterday with 5 not so honest reps, lol. did the rest of the reps at 185 (5x5)
did squats 5x5 @245. Front squats 3x5 at 155. Been deadlifting on the trap bar (based on recommendation from trainer at gym after a chat) and did 3x5 at 225. All while keeping the olde HR above 140 (avg of 149 to be precise)

so, proguress.
Jaxper wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 am Thought you'd all appreciate to know, I think I'm going to switch focus back to strength training/PL for the time being. WL is a lot of fun but I've been extremely unmotivated to lift since my space does not work well with WL and I'd make too many excuses (gotta rearrange stuff, ze fiance's car is in the way, etc).

I'll probably get back into it once we have more space/ceiling height though because it's been a lot of fun when I can do it. I'll plan to keep working with the Oly coach on Saturdays until my pass runs out.

Now the decision comes down to whether I want to do 531 (or some variation of it) or J&T2 again. HMMM

what do these PL and WL acronyms mean?

Also, hellow fellow one plus user!
brain go brrrrrr
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:37 am
Jaxper wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 am Thought you'd all appreciate to know, I think I'm going to switch focus back to strength training/PL for the time being. WL is a lot of fun but I've been extremely unmotivated to lift since my space does not work well with WL and I'd make too many excuses (gotta rearrange stuff, ze fiance's car is in the way, etc).

what do these PL and WL acronyms mean?

Also, hellow fellow one plus user!
PL = powerlifting
WL = weightlifting

Ahoy!
The panda hath arrived.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Decided to start with a variant of 531 (nSuns LP, for those who reddit) for the time being to get a lot of quality reps in on the movements - primarily deadlift and bench since they got pushed to the wayside when I tried out WL. So far, so good! Can't wait for my strength to come back.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

I'm starting DoggCrapp training today. Going to really have to learn to push to true failure.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:29 am I'm starting DoggCrapp training today. Going to really have to learn to push to true failure.
I did it for a bit back in college and was less than impressed. Unless you're cycling again, I'd recommend against it. If you're simply bored of 531, I'd be happy to help with putting something together/recommending another program.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Jaxper wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:29 am I'm starting DoggCrapp training today. Going to really have to learn to push to true failure.
I did it for a bit back in college and was less than impressed. Unless you're cycling again, I'd recommend against it. If you're simply bored of 531, I'd be happy to help with putting something together/recommending another program.
A buddy of mine ran it for almost a year and got really good size gains. I'll see how it works for me for a while. Gonna give it at least 6 months and then I'll see about doing 531 for more strength.

Were you following all the diet advice with it too?
Apex

TL:DR on DoggCrapp?
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:24 pm
Jaxper wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm

A buddy of mine ran it for almost a year and got really good size gains. I'll see how it works for me for a while. Gonna give it at least 6 months and then I'll see about doing 531 for more strength.

Were you following all the diet advice with it too?
That I recall, yeah. I was on an unlimited meal plan at college. :lol:
Apex wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:27 pm TL:DR on DoggCrapp?
IIRC, you basically take everything to failure so that you completely and utterly maximize your time under tension.
The panda hath arrived.