DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Excited about tonight's workout. Hammer chest press (we have this really old school one that feels great), smith shoulder press, decline skull crushers, close grip chins, t-bar row. Should get a great pump..
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Question for you guys:

What are your thoughts on eating before/after a workout?

I eat plenty, usually a big dinner, big-ish lunch, breakfast I skip occasionally or usually go a bit lighter, like say four hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit. I generally lift in the morning. Will this be detrimental? I'm quite sure I clear 3k calories per day.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:26 am Question for you guys:

I eat plenty, usually a big dinner, big-ish lunch, breakfast I skip occasionally or usually go a bit lighter, like say four hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit. I generally lift in the morning. Will this be detrimental? I'm quite sure I clear 3k calories per day.
Seeing as how I typically lifted after work, I'd make sure I wasn't hungry before lifting. Something simple for an afternoon snack. I then ate dinner about 30-45 mins after lifting and ate everything I could. Some guys will get a jolt of caffeine before lifting but I never seemed to need that.

Guys who I know lift in the morning will have their coffee and a protein shake before lifting than breakfast after.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I just get a little bread in my stomach before heading to the gym. Enough to stave off weakness/the shakes but not too much that'd result in mud butt from my cardio shaking everything around.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I try to have a snack that's high in fat/protein before gym. Coffee as well if I feel a bit sluggish.

I really need to get back on that low carb train.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am

Seeing as how I typically lifted after work, I'd make sure I wasn't hungry before lifting. Something simple for an afternoon snack. I then ate dinner about 30-45 mins after lifting and ate everything I could. Some guys will get a jolt of caffeine before lifting but I never seemed to need that.

Guys who I know lift in the morning will have their coffee and a protein shake before lifting than breakfast after.
I normally do coffee before, breakfast after, haven't had much issue with lack of food prior to working out. Just don't want my gainz impacted.

Today though, I'm just now eating for the first time, which isn't uncommon, and I lifted around 7:30. I should probably just get some brotein powder to carry on the road.
SAWCE

I'm firmly in the camp that you should have something before you workout. If you can make time for it, I like about 45 minutes to an hour for the food to kinda start clearing. Brad is right with the high protein, but I don't like doing high fat before or after a workout since it slows the digestion rate of protein. For a quick pre workout meal that'll clear your system easily, do a few rice cakes and a protein shake, or if you don't like protein shakes, do those hardboiled eggs you have been, but maybe pop the yolks out of some of them so you only get 1 or 2 yolk with a total of 4-5 whites.
SAWCE

Another good session of DC last night.

Did a few warm up sets on the hammer strength machine as I worked up to what I felt my working weight should be. Wound up with 2 plates and a 25 on each side.. got 10 reps, then 2 reps, then completely failed going for my second rest pause set. I'm getting better at pushing the first set hard enough to where I'm actually hitting momentary failure on the first two sets with absolute failure on the last one. 12 reps total, goal was 11-15.

Smith military press I went a little lighter and will definitely need to increase weight next time. Worked up to 155lbs. Got 10,4,3 I believe.. will have to consult log book when I'm home. 17 reps. Goal was 11-15.

Decline skull crushers I went too light too. 60lb EZ bar, 20, 10, 5 reps. 35 total, goal 15-30.

Close grip chin ups. Body weight for 13, 5, 3. 21 reps. 15-20 goal, so I'll add weight next time.

T-bar row 130lbs I think, got a straight 12 reps. Goal was 10-12 reps. No rest pauses on this one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm firmly in the camp that you should have something before you workout. If you can make time for it, I like about 45 minutes to an hour for the food to kinda start clearing. Brad is right with the high protein, but I don't like doing high fat before or after a workout since it slows the digestion rate of protein. For a quick pre workout meal that'll clear your system easily, do a few rice cakes and a protein shake, or if you don't like protein shakes, do those hardboiled eggs you have been, but maybe pop the yolks out of some of them so you only get 1 or 2 yolk with a total of 4-5 whites.
This is where the road life is hard. Often times it's all or nothing with the breakfast at a hotel, it can be like $15, no way I'm going through that twice.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I really noticed no difference in performance when I don't eat before though, since I go right when I get up.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:02 pm I really noticed no difference in performance when I don't eat before though, since I go right when I get up.
You might not notice a difference in performance, but you’re definitely shortchanging yourself in the gainzzz department by not eating before hand. Also depends on your workout though. If you’re giving 100% effort you should definitely feel a difference between fed and fasted lifting. Not saying you need to be hitting 1rm PRs every workout, but if you’re truly taking things to failure in order to grow then I think you’d notice an extra rep or two on stuff with food in your system. If you’re just lifting to maintain though, I don’t think you need food before hand.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

This is what I do for mine. My coffee protein shake is half a cup of milk, a scoop of whey, and 12 oz coffee (or whatever the large size is on a Keurig). Then I eat 3 eggs and a half cup of oatmeal w/ 1-2 TB of PB mixed in for breakfast.
The panda hath arrived.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Jaxper wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:24 pm

This is what I do for mine. My coffee protein shake is half a cup of milk, a scoop of whey, and 12 oz coffee (or whatever the large size is on a Keurig). Then I eat 3 eggs and a half cup of oatmeal w/ 1-2 TB of PB mixed in for breakfast.
:notbad:

Probably what I'd do if I wasn't on the road all of the time. It really makes keeping the diet right difficult.

My legs are really sore from the Boring But Big workouts this week. :notbad:
SAWCE

Curious how lifting tonight will go after yesterday's injury. Doc cleared me for the gym as long as I listen to my body and scale back as needed. Luckily tonight starts with arms, so nothing too heavy while I feel things out.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 pm Curious how lifting tonight will go after yesterday's injury. Doc cleared me for the gym as long as I listen to my body and scale back as needed. Luckily tonight starts with arms, so nothing too heavy while I feel things out.
Hope everything felt alright dude! Injuries blow.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:46 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 pm Curious how lifting tonight will go after yesterday's injury. Doc cleared me for the gym as long as I listen to my body and scale back as needed. Luckily tonight starts with arms, so nothing too heavy while I feel things out.
This one literally might've blown. :hubba: The shower sex was too rough so he fell and hit his head... if he was lucky, she would've finished him off while he was on the ground.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:46 am
Thanks man. It was surprisingly good. Luckily this program starts you on biceps first that day, so I got to kinda scale up to the heavier weight for hack squats through the workout. I felt a little pressure in my head during hack squats, but I also just about tied a PR, so the pressure didn’t seem out of the ordinary. 320lbs plus whatever the sled/platform weighs for 10 reps :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Boring but big is going well so far, on my first deload week. So far my back continues to feel good and healthy. My strength isn't what it was before the injury, but appears to be rising, and I think the size gain may be working as well.

:gay:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm Boring but big is going well so far, on my first deload week. So far my back continues to feel good and healthy. My strength isn't what it was before the injury, but appears to be rising, and I think the size gain may be working as well.

Looking good man. Arms look thicc, especially your forearms, plus the veins :jimp: Don't think I've seen you this lean before.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm Boring but big is going well so far, on my first deload week. So far my back continues to feel good and healthy. My strength isn't what it was before the injury, but appears to be rising, and I think the size gain may be working as well.

:megusta:
SAWCE

Hit 8 plates on each side of the leg press for 8 reps. :fuckyeah: 720lbs not counting the sled. I’ll film myself next week to make sure I’m hittig decent ROM. Followed it up with a set of 25 reps with 4 plates and a 25 on each side.
Last edited by SAWCE on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 pm Hit 8 plates on each side of the leg press for 8 reps. :fuckyeah: 720lbs. It counting the sled. I’ll film myself next week to make sure I’m hittig decent ROM. Followed it up with a set of 25 reps with 4 plates and a 25 on each side.
holy shit
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 pm Hit 8 plates on each side of the leg press for 8 reps. :fuckyeah: 720lbs. It counting the sled. I’ll film myself next week to make sure I’m hittig decent ROM. Followed it up with a set of 25 reps with 4 plates and a 25 on each side.
holy shit
Still need to make sure I’m not micro-repping them and looking like a tool bag, but I think my ROM should be pretty decent.. getting a full extension just short of lock out and bringing it down until the tops of my thighs hit my rib cage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am holy shit
Still need to make sure I’m not micro-repping them and looking like a tool bag, but I think my ROM should be pretty decent.. getting a full extension just short of lock out and bringing it down until the tops of my thighs hit my rib cage.
:impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote:

Looking good man. Arms look thicc, especially your forearms, plus the veins :jimp: Don't think I've seen you this lean before.
:zing:

I wish my calves weren't so :jalepenis: but it is what it is.