DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:47 pm ESPN had a feature on James Harrison (Steelers) and what a workout nut he is. He was doing the glute bridge with what appeared to be about 500 lbs on the barbell.
500?!?! :mindblown:

Those athletes are on such a different level.

I've done 185, but it's a struggle to really lock it out and get the full range of motion for more than a couple reps.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm I did box squats last night on my deload squat day. I'm definitely weak out of the hole. Need to work these in more often. Was just doing sets of 5 since it was deload and I wanted to give my body a chance to recover and prepare for next cycle. 135x5 was easy. 185x5 was still easy, but definitely noticed how much harder these were than normal squats with that weight. 225x5 was a struggle. 275x2, probably should have pushed for 5. Oh well. Box I was on had my thighs almost exactly parallel to the ground. Next time I do them I'll try to set up a box an inch or two lower to really work on my strength out of the hole.
This is going to sound dick-ish, but :wtf: is the point of a box squat? I can't imagine an athletic situation are you going to be sitting on a box before lifting a weight or jumping.

Since I've been doing ROMWOD for a few months, my mobility has improved enough that I don't have any trouble with oly-style ass-to-grass squats anymore. It's kind of weird, but now getting out of the hole is the easy part. Press those knees out, use the glutes and hams to get just above parallel, quads power out the rest of the way. It's getting from just less than 90* to full extension where I get stuck now. Still taking it slow coming off of the last back tweak, but I worked up to a 5x225 yesterday between kettlebell days. Still a long way from throwing 315 on the bar again, but making some great progress. New mattress has helped as much as anything...no more super soft memory foam shit that let me hips sag and aggravated that disc every single night. I swear I used to wake up every day feeling 80, now I wake up loose with no locked up hips or hamstrings. It's :amazing: the difference a mattress can make.

:fuckyeah:
I think you're right in that there isn't any major athletic benefit in doing them. They definitely help with strength out of the hole though for things like power lifting where you have to hold the weight at the require depth until the judges tell you that you can press it back up. Olympic lifting relies heavily on that spring reflex in the bottom of the squat position, so I'd say box squats aren't beneficial there. But for power lifting and body building they have their place.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 pm I think you're right in that there isn't any major athletic benefit in doing them. They definitely help with strength out of the hole though for things like power lifting where you have to hold the weight at the require depth until the judges tell you that you can press it back up. Olympic lifting relies heavily on that spring reflex in the bottom of the squat position, so I'd say box squats aren't beneficial there. But for power lifting and body building they have their place.
Rock on, I can definitely see box squats helping in that scenario. Seems it would also be good if you have a sticking point, then you could set the box height to just below that point and work on passing through it with multiple reps to work on that particular range.

Power lifting definitely isn't my thing, trying to stay functional and limber for hockey and perhaps some MMA fun. Dude at the MMA gym took one look at me and started acting like my goal should be to compete, though. :notsure: that's really in the cards for me at nearly 31, but the classes I watched sure did look like fun.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 pm I think you're right in that there isn't any major athletic benefit in doing them. They definitely help with strength out of the hole though for things like power lifting where you have to hold the weight at the require depth until the judges tell you that you can press it back up. Olympic lifting relies heavily on that spring reflex in the bottom of the squat position, so I'd say box squats aren't beneficial there. But for power lifting and body building they have their place.
Rock on, I can definitely see box squats helping in that scenario. Seems it would also be good if you have a sticking point, then you could set the box height to just below that point and work on passing through it with multiple reps to work on that particular range.

Power lifting definitely isn't my thing, trying to stay functional and limber for hockey and perhaps some MMA fun. Dude at the MMA gym took one look at me and started acting like my goal should be to compete, though. :notsure: that's really in the cards for me at nearly 31, but the classes I watched sure did look like fun.
Yeah we defnitely have different goals. I just want to be big and strong. As long as I can move weight without pain, that's as "functional" as I feel the need to be at this point.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:46 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Yeah we defnitely have different goals. I just want to be big and strong. As long as I can move weight without pain, that's as "functional" as I feel the need to be at this point.
Hi my name is Brandon and I am a meathead.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:46 pm

I like muscles.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:01 pm

I like muscles.
I just clubbed a cow and now I am going to eat him.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:06 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:04 pm

I like muscles.
:lolol:
I can't help it. One day I'll have other priorities. For now though, this is what I love.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:06 pm

I can't help it. One day I'll have other priorities. For now though, this is what I love.
You're a very earnest, articulate Meathead doe. I find your unabashed enthusiasm for the gym inspirational.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:39 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:23 pm

You're a very earnest, articulate Meathead doe. I find your unabashed enthusiasm for the gym inspirational.
I appreciate it. I'm thankful for the education I have, and love the looks on people's faces when I talk about things that require actual thinking espeically :math: or :science:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:44 am First time back in the gym today after the back thing. I'm hitting 5X5 bench, dips, pull ups, chin ups, maybe a couple other things.

I'm in for suggestions on lifts that some place load on the spine. The doc said no dead lifts or squats for a month, then I'm going to ease back into that stuff with light load, focusing on form. Looks like I tore a muscle in my back.
If you can't squat or deadlift, did you mean you're looking for lifts that don't place a load on your spine?

Bummer about the torn muscle. Assuming it was just a partial tear at least. I think you'd be in a lot more pain if it was a complete tear, plus lots of visible bruising.
Yeah, phone typo. Trying to avoid load on my spine. I think it was a very minor/partial tear. Didn't actually get a scan or anything.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:44 am First time back in the gym today after the back thing. I'm hitting 5X5 bench, dips, pull ups, chin ups, maybe a couple other things.

I'm in for suggestions on lifts that some place load on the spine. The doc said no dead lifts or squats for a month, then I'm going to ease back into that stuff with light load, focusing on form. Looks like I tore a muscle in my back.
My favorite way to focus on the posterior chain is with the glute bridge. If you're not using any weight you can keep your shoulder blades on the ground and maybe switch it up and try using only one leg while pointing the other toward the ceiling. I prefer to use a Sling Shot hip circle (https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/slin ... fgodHQ8B2Q) around my legs just under the knee, prop up my upper back laying across a bench sideways, then throw a barbell across my hip crease. Press out against the hip circle while at the same time lifting the barbell off the floor. Doing it this way helps to activate the hips and glutes much better than leaving your upper back on the ground, IMO.

Like dis -

Thanks man. I've never tried these... perhaps I should.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:30 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm

My favorite way to focus on the posterior chain is with the glute bridge. If you're not using any weight you can keep your shoulder blades on the ground and maybe switch it up and try using only one leg while pointing the other toward the ceiling. I prefer to use a Sling Shot hip circle (https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/slin ... fgodHQ8B2Q) around my legs just under the knee, prop up my upper back laying across a bench sideways, then throw a barbell across my hip crease. Press out against the hip circle while at the same time lifting the barbell off the floor. Doing it this way helps to activate the hips and glutes much better than leaving your upper back on the ground, IMO.

Like dis -

Thanks man. I've never tried these... perhaps I should.
I also might give it a whirl

Man, did HIIT class last night for the first time in a couple weeks. cardio endurance is def. down...
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Those glute bridges are definitely the best way to build :datass: Look up Bret Contreras. He's kinda the pioneer behind them and glute-centric training. He has a max on them of like 800lbs or something.
SAWCE

Shoulders and back last night. Mostly shoulders, and then just a few sets on the assisten pullups machine for back at the end. Been liking hitting that after shoulders since I'm already fatigued and can't get good pull-ups. The assistance makes it much better for focusing on the muscles I'm supposed to be pulling with and not just grip-and-rip a few shitty looking sets that aren't going to benefit me much.
SAWCE

395x6 last night for deads. Not amazing, but much better than my 385x5 on this week last meso.

Shoulders and chest tonight. Hoping to get 6 reps on both of those lifts too.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I did good things at the gym last night.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:57 am I did good things at the gym last night.
Gym was okay for me for the 531 lifts, but good for everything else.

155x5 military, and 225x5 bench, but both were super rough. Did machine shoulder raises, dips, that shoulder complex I'd posted before (front raise, upright row, OHP) then came up with something similar for chest (flyes, db press, close grip db press). Finished off with some rope extensions and skull crushers for shoulders.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

This week is now a rest week.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 pm This week is now a rest week.

Sent from the Beer Depository
Best wishes. I'll do some extra reps for both of you tonight.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I have not lifted in a couple weeks. :baby:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:12 pm I have not lifted in a couple weeks. :baby:
I'm really not looking forward to that.
SAWCE

Squats tonight. Think this week is 305x5+
Apex
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:12 pm I have not lifted in a couple weeks. :baby:
I need to get back to it a little bit, just to maintain what I've got as best as I can. I don't see many PR's in the near future, but they will come again.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:16 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm

I need to get back to it a little bit, just to maintain what I've got as best as I can. I don't see many PR's in the near future, but they will come again.
Yeah even if you do full body training 2-3x a week you should be able to maintain pretty decently.