DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:50 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Nice. Yeah I think I'm gonna drop 10lbs off my OHP max for next month and see how that feels. If I can get one rep at my 1+ weight next week I'll think about just keeping the current max.
At some point you have to stop or drop and build some volume. It would be nice to increase your 1RM endlessly but if it were that easy everyone would be yuge.
Yep. I'm honestly surprised that I lasted 7 months with increasing every month. Especially since I came off of Juice in the beginning of the 4th month. I thought for sure I'd stall then.
SAWCE

Jaxper wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 5:58 pm

:word: Still been adding calories every week. Currently hitting 4,750/day... pizza would definitely make hitting that easier.
:wtf: is your grocery bill per week/month?
Grabbed my first batch of groceries for the month. Just a few essentials, I'll need to grab more this weekend, so I'll update this and keep a running total for June.

Last night $29.20 got me:
4.77lbs of rolled oats
1 gallon of milk (I wanted Mac and Cheese for dinner. Already had a few boxes plus butter.)
32oz of egg whites
9.5lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs.
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:09 pm
Jaxper wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 pm

:wtf: is your grocery bill per week/month?
Grabbed my first batch of groceries for the month. Just a few essentials, I'll need to grab more this weekend, so I'll update this and keep a running total for June.

4.77lbs of rolled oats
1 gallon of milk (I wanted Mac and Cheese for dinner. Already had a few boxes plus butter.)
32oz of egg whites
$44.13 at Costco got:
4lbs of butter, should last quite a while
A week's worth of egg whites
60 eggs
Two tubs of natural peanut butter
3lbs of broccoli
3lbs of bananas
10lbs of red potatoes.

Then I dropped $15.50 at vons to make nachos today. Some of the food will be left over, but I got:
Bag of chips
Taco seasoning
Two cans of refried beans
Two bars of Mexican cheese

Running total for the month is now $90.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

LOL at the "Meathead Basics Running Tally"
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

What is Mexican Cheese?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:49 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:09 pm

4.77lbs of rolled oats
32oz of egg whites
$44.13 at Costco got:
60 eggs
3lbs of broccoli
3lbs of bananas
10lbs of red potatoes.

Then I dropped $15.50 at vons to make nachos today. Some of the food will be left over, but I got:
Bag of chips
Taco seasoning

i think we need a grocery bill thread.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:56 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:49 pm

$44.13 at Costco got:
60 eggs
3lbs of broccoli
3lbs of bananas
10lbs of red potatoes.

Bag of chips
Taco seasoning

i think we need a grocery bill thread.
:doit:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:50 pm What is Mexican Cheese?
I think it's just a blend of cheddar and jack cheeses. :iono:
SAWCE

So last week I couldn't get 160 or 165, whichever it was, for a single rep on military press. I got 170x1 last night. There was a little bit of leg drive behind it, so not a true military press, but I'm happy I got it up. I'll hold off on resetting that max for another month. I'm finally getting my eating and calories back to where they need to be, so I'm hoping I can keep the numbers moving up for another month or two on every thing.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:50 pm What is Mexican Cheese?
:dat: Usually shredded very fine.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:38 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm familiar with the shredded blend, "sticks of Mexican cheese" just threw me off for some reason. :derp:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm familiar with the shredded blend, "sticks of Mexican cheese" just threw me off for some reason. :derp:
Lol just saw that I put "bars".. it was supposed to be "bags"

Meathead not type gud.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Numbers are getting back up towards pre-house move/switch to early mornings/more focus on form.

Squatted 295 for 6 this am. After climbing 600 feet on the treadmill.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

gains were made in the gym.

also, working out really is a great antidepressant
I had been in a shit mood for 3 days and it pulled me out it.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:58 am gains were made in the gym.

:fuckyeah:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:58 am gains were made in the gym.

Absolutely true! Moving some iron is a fantastic way to get out of a funk.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well... I have some :rage: :disappoint: today and some :fuckyeah: today.

The :rage: is that I thought my back was all healed/good, so I went to do my normal 531 DL day. It's week one of my cycle, so my plan was just to go for the weight (295) five times only, new PR would've been 11 reps. 5@295 should very much be easy-peasy, a month ago I was doing 315X10. So all was fine and good until the last set, last rep, and just... BOOM, instantly, the raging back pain returned. I could barely walk, couldn't even unload the bar. I ended up just kind of sitting there for about 20 minutes and finally driving back to my hotel. Fortunately, I don't have to work for a little while, so right now I'm just icing my back and took some ibuprofen.

I'm not really sure what to do here, hopefully it'll start feeling better again. I've been to the doctor about weight lifting stuff once before and clearly, the average doc doesn't really know shit about it/can't "diagnose" something like this, so I'm not going to pursue that immediately. Hopefully it'll start feeling better like last time, but I'll really need to take it easy for the long time. I'm thinking I might be done trying to DL heavy for the rest of my life. It's just not worth this stupid shit, I feel like I could be seriously hurt and don't want to fuck up my back forever. Obviously, it wasn't really healed from last time and that was the issue, but fuck this.

The :fuckyeah: is that I'm now a YMCA member instead of my old gym, so I can use real weights in most places around the country. I quit my other gym in Charlotte and will likely quit Planet Fitness soon as well. The Y will cost as much as the other two combined, but it's nationwide (mostly) and way nicer. Plus, the home location is on the lake, has canoes and kayaks available, a pool, etc. which is pretty rad.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 am Well... I have some :rage: :disappoint: today and some :fuckyeah: today.

The :rage: is that I thought my back was all healed/good, so I went to do my normal 531 DL day. It's week one of my cycle, so my plan was just to go for the weight (295) five times only, new PR would've been 11 reps. 5@295 should very much be easy-peasy, a month ago I was doing 315X10. So all was fine and good until the last set, last rep, and just... BOOM, instantly, the raging back pain returned. I could barely walk, couldn't even unload the bar. I ended up just kind of sitting there for about 20 minutes and finally driving back to my hotel. Fortunately, I don't have to work for a little while, so right now I'm just icing my back and took some ibuprofen.

I'm not really sure what to do here, hopefully it'll start feeling better again. I've been to the doctor about weight lifting stuff once before and clearly, the average doc doesn't really know shit about it/can't "diagnose" something like this, so I'm not going to pursue that immediately. Hopefully it'll start feeling better like last time, but I'll really need to take it easy for the long time. I'm thinking I might be done trying to DL heavy for the rest of my life. It's just not worth this stupid shit, I feel like I could be seriously hurt and don't want to fuck up my back forever. Obviously, it wasn't really healed from last time and that was the issue, but fuck this.

The :fuckyeah: is that I'm now a YMCA member instead of my old gym, so I can use real weights in most places around the country. I quit my other gym in Charlotte and will likely quit Planet Fitness soon as well. The Y will cost as much as the other two combined, but it's nationwide (mostly) and way nicer. Plus, the home location is on the lake, has canoes and kayaks available, a pool, etc. which is pretty rad.
yea... i ain't done no deadlift since i hurt my back. It might not be worth it to me.

I did not know that i could go to any YMCA. how does one find out if its nation wide?
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:27 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 am Well... I have some :rage: :disappoint: today and some :fuckyeah: today.

yea... i ain't done no deadlift since i hurt my back. It might not be worth it to me.

I did not know that i could go to any YMCA. how does one find out if its nation wide?
My gf was having trouble staying motivated to work out at home/the "free" gym at our neighborhood pool, so she wanted to join. She has been loving the classes and such, and being able to go with her friend (the three of us joined, said we were roommates, so it's $40ish each). During the tour, I asked about it. Essentially, in 2018, all YMCAs will be possible to visit. They said for the time being, most will still allow it, just call before. I went in the Chicago 'burbs today with no issue, just had to bring in my membership card and license.

As to the DL thing... I'm kind of in the same boat. I'll likely re-introduce it in a few months but keep the weight low and do some higher rep training. I really don't need to be bigger/stronger at this point in my life, I would like to just continue looking the same and feeling good. Jeopardizing my back seems stupid. :iono: I've always been very un-athletic/uncoordinated, maybe I'm just not cut out for the DL movement.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:33 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:27 am

My gf was having trouble staying motivated to work out at home/the "free" gym at our neighborhood pool, so she wanted to join. She has been loving the classes and such, and being able to go with her friend (the three of us joined, said we were roommates, so it's $40ish each). During the tour, I asked about it. Essentially, in 2018, all YMCAs will be possible to visit. They said for the time being, most will still allow it, just call before. I went in the Chicago 'burbs today with no issue, just had to bring in my membership card and license.

As to the DL thing... I'm kind of in the same boat. I'll likely re-introduce it in a few months but keep the weight low and do some higher rep training. I really don't need to be bigger/stronger at this point in my life, I would like to just continue looking the same and feeling good. Jeopardizing my back seems stupid. :iono: I've always been very un-athletic/uncoordinated, maybe I'm just not cut out for the DL movement.
good info on the travel perks.

RE: deads. Yea man, i was SCARED i fucked my back up properly. went away after a couple of weeks. I'll still do squats and what not, and use machines to work out hamstrings. I feel like i've done real work adding muscle and dropping weight since adding real weighted squats to my workout, and i have made huge improvements in core strength.

But having a hurt back...cant do nothing. fuck that. :nope:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:38 am

RE: deads. Yea man, i was SCARED i fucked my back up properly. went away after a couple of weeks. I'll still do squats and what not, and use machines to work out hamstrings. I feel like i've done real work adding muscle and dropping weight since adding real weighted squats to my workout, and i have made huge improvements in core strength.

:word: :fax:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:word: :fax:
SAWCE

I wonder if pulling from a sumo stance would be better for the two of you. Conventional definitely isn't for everyone, and sumo will keep your back more upright at the bottom of the movement, which might be what you need. Try it at 135 just to see how it feels compared to a conventional deadlift.. just keep in mind that it'll likely feel weird for a few sets.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 pm

I wonder if pulling from a sumo stance would be better for the two of you. Conventional definitely isn't for everyone, and sumo will keep your back more upright at the bottom of the movement, which might be what you need. Try it at 135 just to see how it feels compared to a conventional deadlift.. just keep in mind that it'll likely feel weird for a few sets.
:iono: might have to try it.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dan, I would urge you to a sports oriented physical therapist. I mean, you may be right that pulling massive poundage is not in your future, but it could be that whatever area of your back that keeps blowing up needs strengthening, and PT's are good for that. 99% of doctors are going to say :butwhy: when you tell them you keep jacking up your back lifting 315 lbs. off the floor and their prescription will be "Don't do that."