Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

Zillon wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:36 pm Otherwise, I'm waiting on the saddle, bar tape, and bottle cages to arrive; I went a little out of the box for those. Also ordered a custom stem cap to tie it all together. Then I just need a fit, and it's new bike time. :megusta:
:excited:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: BMcuckleU + Beep Beep

Man, I went out on the MTB to do some trails this AM and just felt like :poop:

I think I am on too big a calorie deficit this week or maybe my sleep has suffered or something. I just felt like my powah and focus were way off the mark. It was still nice to be outside in the woods :doe: , 5/7.

Pretty stoked for Zill's NBD. Will you be selling the CAAD?
Zillon
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: 🌮

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:49 pm Man, I went out on the MTB to do some trails this AM and just felt like :poop:

I think I am on too big a calorie deficit this week or maybe my sleep has suffered or something. I just felt like my powah and focus were way off the mark. It was still nice to be outside in the woods :doe: , 5/7.

Pretty stoked for Zill's NBD. Will you be selling the CAAD?
Sometimes that happens. Might need to just take a rest from riding, or do more fun rides? Have you really been dialing back the calories?

I actually felt surprisingly good on my ride to the bike shop, I thought I’d feel like garbage after essentially 4 weeks off of the bike. I definitely have lost some climbing ability but my power on the flats was way better than expected.

I’m not sure what will happen to the CAAD yet. Might keep it around as a crit missile, or maybe sell the frame and swap the components to something different.
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Got a parts itch that needs scratchin'? Hit me up: Momentum Worx
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Still kind of want that Ripley AF. Price is reasonable, capability is close to what I want. Still haven't bought a new helmet, no time to go check any out. I've ridden once in the last 2 weeks.

Buy a bike that I'll never ride doesn't sound like a great move.
coogles
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am Still kind of want that Ripley AF. Price is reasonable, capability is close to what I want. Still haven't bought a new helmet, no time to go check any out. I've ridden once in the last 2 weeks.

It isn't. See: Emonda.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:55 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am Still kind of want that Ripley AF. Price is reasonable, capability is close to what I want. Still haven't bought a new helmet, no time to go check any out. I've ridden once in the last 2 weeks.

It isn't. See: Emonda.
Hopefully we buy a house next year. That will dictate a lot of what I do bicycle wise.
Zillon

New bike day happened a bit early this week. :megusta:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:fuckyeah:

What is the length of that stem? :dedong:
Zillon

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:01 am :fuckyeah:

What is the length of that stem? :dedong:
140mm. :dedong: indeed.

Probably the most thorough fit I’ve ever had - tweaked cleat position, saddle angle, stem length and saddle height. The fitter was particularly enamored with how “ideal” my body was for cycling.

So yeah, apparently I might be genetically gifted for riding a bike. Narrow hips, long femurs, high pelvic rotation, long arms. I can ride longer and lower than most people.

Also, I learned some things as well. Due to my natural pelvic rotation, running a level saddle is not ideal. I should’ve been running a nose-down saddle profile all these years. Likely why saddle discomfort has been such an issue for me.
Zillon

She rips.

Took it out for the maiden voyage tonight after work. Was a bit brisk and breezy, but I didn’t care. I just wanted to get out and ride the new steed.

The fit has me longer and lower than I’ve ever been on a road bike and it feels fantastic. When I get into the drops, I can feel the power gains from better muscle engagement, and I’m in a much more aerodynamic position. It’s crazy how much faster this bike is in the drops.

As for the bike, it’s fantastich. Smooth, with super composed handling. It feels so much better bombing into a corner than the CAAD did, but that’s thru axles for you. Also, having real brakes again is :tits:

Johnny_P

Pretty long reach on that bike. Otherwise it’s near identical to my R3, down to the square tubes and asymmetrical BB / chain stays. That bike was a ripper and I’m sure this is better being 10 years newer.

This gonna be a race machine or just a nice bike to ride?
Zillon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 am Pretty long reach on that bike. Otherwise it’s near identical to my R3, down to the square tubes and asymmetrical BB / chain stays. That bike was a ripper and I’m sure this is better being 10 years newer.

This gonna be a race machine or just a nice bike to ride?
I put it side by side with the CAAD and they’re near identical in terms of saddle to bar reach and handlebar height. The saddle is a smidge higher on the Felt.

But man, the handling is no comparison. The Felt is just so much more confident mid-corner where the CAAD feels like it wants to push wide. Much of that is likely due to the smaller frame, thru axles, and longer stem getting more weight over the front axle. It’s impressive.

As for purpose - I don’t race road bikes. But it’ll be my weapon for fast group rides, all-day adventures, and anything that’s pavement only. If I ever decide to do a crit… that’s what the CAAD is for.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Looks bitchin. What are thru axles?
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:31 pm Looks bitchin. What are thru axles?
Pretty much just what they sound like. You're probably used to quick release wheels on bikes - they have a skewer to tighten the wheel onto the dropouts, the wheel rests on the dropouts on little nubs (not sure the technical term :lolol: ). Through axles are an axle bolt that goes through the center of the hub.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:51 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:31 pm Looks bitchin. What are thru axles?
Pretty much just what they sound like. You're probably used to quick release wheels on bikes - they have a skewer to tighten the wheel onto the dropouts, the wheel rests on the dropouts on little nubs (not sure the technical term :lolol: ). Through axles are an axle bolt that goes through the center of the hub.
OK. How does that make for a better handling bike?
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:51 am

:iono: if I could really tell the difference honestly, but it stiffens the connection between the frame and the wheels I guess.
Zillon

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:08 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am

:iono: if I could really tell the difference honestly, but it stiffens the connection between the frame and the wheels I guess.
Bigger axle tubes are stiffer and deflect less, bigger bearings, more secure connection as well (captured all the way around).

No real downsides other than it's not quite as quick to remove the wheel as with a quick release with most TA setups. But it's definitely more theft-proof to the casual street urchin.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Zillon wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:08 am

Bigger axle tubes are stiffer and deflect less, bigger bearings, more secure connection as well (captured all the way around).

No real downsides other than it's not quite as quick to remove the wheel as with a quick release with most TA setups. But it's definitely more theft-proof to the casual street urchin.
Yep, I'm not sure if I can tell a difference in rigidity/handling or not - I have a modern carboner bike with thru axles which is hugely more stiff than my old steel bike with QR skewers, but there are a lot of factors at play there. I would be curious to try them back to back on similar bikes.

That said, I actually prefer the thru axles from a usability standpoint as it's just easier to always have the wheels aligned 100% perfectly without any fuss. I always have the multi tool in my saddle bag anyway so I can remove them easily enough.
Zillon

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:53 pm
Zillon wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:50 pm

Yep, I'm not sure if I can tell a difference in rigidity/handling or not - I have a modern carboner bike with thru axles which is hugely more stiff than my old steel bike with QR skewers, but there are a lot of factors at play there. I would be curious to try them back to back on similar bikes.

That said, I actually prefer the thru axles from a usability standpoint as it's just easier to always have the wheels aligned 100% perfectly without any fuss. I always have the multi tool in my saddle bag anyway so I can remove them easily enough.
Having ridden my CAAD (carbon fork w/aluminum frame and QR) and the Sacklist (carbon fork w/steel frame and TA) back to back, it's apparent, even with gravel tires and wheels on the Sacklist. The front end just tracks so much more confidently and responds to steering quicker.

My buddy I was riding with introduced me to these yesterday, which are pretty rad:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Zillon wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:47 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:53 pm

Having ridden my CAAD (carbon fork w/aluminum frame and QR) and the Sacklist (carbon fork w/steel frame and TA) back to back, it's apparent, even with gravel tires and wheels on the Sacklist. The front end just tracks so much more confidently and responds to steering quicker.

My buddy I was riding with introduced me to these yesterday, which are pretty rad:

Those are indeed dece. If I ever need to replace my axles for some reason, I will probably grab those.

I finished up the Raleigh build this weekend, wanted to get out for a ride this morning but it's raining... meh. If it dries out this afternoon, I'll likely try to get a quickie in.
Zillon

That new bike smell lasted all of a week and a half. Dropped the chain on a Image day ride and put some nice gouges in the frame. :flaccid:

Oh well.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Zillon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:31 pm Image

That new bike smell lasted all of a week and a half. Dropped the chain on a Image day ride and put some nice gouges in the frame. :flaccid:

Oh well.
Hey, you got it out of the way!
Zillon

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:45 pm
Zillon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:31 pm Image

Oh well.
Hey, you got it out of the way!
Ugh.

Still hurts to look at.

Rides great though, just a flesh wound. I’ve got a K-edge chain catch on order that should arrive tomorrow.

Also, the new bike lane over Delaware alongside the 295 overpass is :tits:
Johnny_P

oh balls, that sucks. Is the frame itself OK, no creaking?
Any idea why it dropped? FD need to be tweaked?
Zillon

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:27 pm oh balls, that sucks. Is the frame itself OK, no creaking?
Any idea why it dropped? FD need to be tweaked?
Posed it for a photo in the big ring/small cog as one does, and when I went to shift it, I dropped the front ring first like a rook. No chain tension, it dropped right off the small chainring.

Frame is fine, it's all superficial... just ugly now. Just installed a K-edge chain catch tonight so that this doesn't happen again. Now I just need to find some touch-up paint of some kind.