Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Also gonna try and check out that All City on Saturday. Lisa is gonna kill me :D
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:34 pm Also gonna try and check out that All City on Saturday. Lisa is gonna kill me :D
Might want to check and see if she has any life insurance policies out on you...
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:34 pm Also gonna try and check out that All City on Saturday. Lisa is gonna kill me :D
Might want to check and see if she has any life insurance policies out on you...
:notbad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:22 pm
You're not married yet. #YOLO
Simple. Buy [user not found]'s wife's bike for her. That way he can buy the Embolden from me and I'll just buy the wife a Hail.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:07 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:22 pm

You're not married yet. #YOLO
Simple. Buy [user not found]'s wife's bike for her. That way he can buy the Embolden from me and I'll just buy the wife a Hail.
Dat bike :plac:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:45 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:07 pm

:dill: ception.

Seriously doe, we can do this.
I’d need like $2k for the embolden to make it work doe...
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:56 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:45 pm

:dill: ception.

Seriously doe, we can do this.
I’d need like $2k for the embolden to make it work doe...
What’s wrong with the embolden?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:11 pm

What’s wrong with the embolden?
It's not Enduro enough. :derp:
If she’s not exceeding the bikes capabilities....
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 pm

It's not Enduro enough. :derp:
If she’s not exceeding the bikes capabilities....
There’s nothing wrong with it. She loves it, and there’s plenty of room for her to grow with it.
Johnny_P

NBD

Macho Man Disc on fire sale. Picked up some sweet King Cages for it and camo tape. Don’t love the 105 would prefer sram but whatever.
Johnny_P

So
1) This thing is lol heavy, as much as my hardtail I think. Whatever I don't care.
2) Road disc will change your life
3) SO SMOOTH off road, it eats everything up. This is the smoothest bike I own.
4) Take it off jumps, gap that pothole, detour up over the curb and ride a shitty sidewalk, this bike DGAF and begs you to get rad on it
5) God bless threaded bottom brackets

I love it. Sure its heavy and I'm slower on the hills on this but it'll make me a stronger rider and really I'm not racing so who gives a shit? This is easily an all day bike. Moreso than any other bike I own. Geometry is perfect with the 90mm stem, bars are high, soaks up bumps, 35mm tires are incredible, etc. Fantastic buy.

I'll eventually upgrade the wheelset to shave a couple pounds, and maybe the disc calipers to TRP Spyres. I don't think it needs anything else.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 pm So
1) This thing is lol heavy, as much as my hardtail I think. Whatever I don't care.
4) Take it off jumps, gap that pothole, detour up over the curb and ride a shitty sidewalk, this bike DGAF and begs you to get rad on it

I love it. Sure its heavy and I'm slower on the hills on this but it'll make me a stronger rider and really I'm not racing so who gives a shit? This is easily an all day bike. Moreso than any other bike I own. Geometry is perfect with the 90mm stem, bars are high, soaks up bumps, 35mm tires are incredible, etc. Fantastic buy.

I'll eventually upgrade the wheelset to shave a couple pounds, and maybe the disc calipers to TRP Spyres. I don't think it needs anything else.
Sounds like a good time. Would love to replace the CAAD with something like this.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 pm So

Sounds like a good time. Would love to replace the CAAD with something like this.
Fun part is... I got it so cheap that I won't feel bad upgrading things as I go. It's like a LEGO set compared to my proprietary everything Cervelo that requires :unicorn: parts. IS disc tabs, 1-1/8" standard threadless steerer, standard headsets with external bearings, threaded BB, QR wheels, fits fat ass 42mm tires, etc. It's so simple.

It's H E A V Y doe, lol. A CF fork and nicer wheels and tubeless and I'd shave off about 3 lbs I think.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm Image
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-sx-27dot5-2016

So this might be happening. Going to look at it Saturday. Local guy selling it used that I kinda sorta know.
So this was a :nope:

It felt entirely too big for this area (not size-wise, capability-wise). Slow, ponderous, and you sit so far into the travel that to hop it you need to overcome all of that plus the height of the obstacle. It wasn't very poppy or jumpy or.... fun? I'm sure it's a RIOT on a downhill though.

Oh well. Highlighter then?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm Image
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-sx-27dot5-2016

So this might be happening. Going to look at it Saturday. Local guy selling it used that I kinda sorta know.

It felt entirely too big for this area (not size-wise, capability-wise). Slow, ponderous, and you sit so far into the travel that to hop it you need to overcome all of that plus the height of the obstacle. It wasn't very poppy or jumpy or.... fun? I'm sure it's a RIOT on a downhill though.

Man, that's weird. That's the exact opposite from the experience I had on the Trance at the demo day. Can't help but wonder if maybe the bike was set up for a lighter rider and had too much sag? Or maybe it's just a difference in the updated geometry for 2017+. I thought the Trance pedaled pretty well and was SUPER playful. Honestly I thought the Anthem was the more serious and buttoned down of the two. Probably faster, but less willing to pop off of things and get airborn.

Either was I'd definitely try to get to a demo day and try out both of the 2018s.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Man, that's weird. That's the exact opposite from the experience I had on the Trance at the demo day. Can't help but wonder if maybe the bike was set up for a lighter rider and had too much sag? Or maybe it's just a difference in the updated geometry for 2017+. I thought the Trance pedaled pretty well and was SUPER playful. Honestly I thought the Anthem was the more serious and buttoned down of the two. Probably faster, but less willing to pop off of things and get airborn.

Either was I'd definitely try to get to a demo day and try out both of the 2018s.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Might be worth a demo day I guess but I typically ride XC type trails anyways that favor tighter handling of the Anthem. I'm assuming a lot of the poppy feel comes from suspension setup nuances. Just didn't like how slacked out this bike was, felt like it would be a handful in tight stuff.

FWIW the Anthem I rode has a 2 degree steeper head angle and shorter chain stays than this bike. I think some of that is due to the 160mm fork they put on the Trance SX from the factory. There was quite a bit of travel to overcome to get it in the air.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I can see the Trance being that way. I love mine, but if you only do XC stuff, the Trance could be a bit heavy.

5/7 would got Anthem.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Tempting af

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/merc ... QxMDAwNjg=

This would bring the cost of my bike within about $200 of the Macho King (that I couldn't order.... fuckers). Would shave about 600 grams (1.3 lbs) from the Macho Man, possibly more due to tubeless. FWIW, a custom aluminum wheelset with something like Onyx or White hubs would be around $800 + tax I think. Similar weight overall but CF are stiffer laterally.

Thoughts, DFD bicycle bretheren? All four of you.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 pm Tempting af

This would bring the cost of my bike within about $200 of the Macho King (that I couldn't order.... fuckers). Would shave about 600 grams (1.3 lbs) from the Macho Man, possibly more due to tubeless. FWIW, a custom aluminum wheelset with something like Onyx or White hubs would be around $800 + tax I think. Similar weight overall but CF are stiffer laterally.

I think it all depends on what you're really looking for. To me, a gravel bike is more for long-term comfort than being snappy and stiff. Alloy rims will give a tiny bit and will be more in line with that theme than carbons, IMO, but if you really want to take out some weight the extra $200 would seem worth it IMO.

:wasteful: away.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Good news / bad news on my hunt for a new :boxodicks:. Because Butler won on Friday, we decided to stay in Detroit to watch the second round game on Sunday. We lost. :(

But that meant I also missed the BGI sale. Not a terrible disappointment, though, given we've now learned we owe the feds $2,200 this year because of the payout from the company my wife works for being acquired and her stocks being purchased. Turns out they didn't elect to sell the shares to pay the taxes and give her the rest, they just cut her a check for the whole amount. I could have ordered the Fathom online, but it was also only 9% off, not the 15% they'd always discounted in years past. Not that great a :dill:.

Might just walk in and see if they're still willing to take the 9% off, but I'm also thinking this is a good excuse to hold off for another month or two, keep saving, and to try to find a better :dill: on a full squish.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:51 pm Good news / bad news on my hunt for a new :boxodicks:. Because Butler won on Friday, we decided to stay in Detroit to watch the second round game on Sunday. We lost. :(

But that meant I also missed the BGI sale. Not a terrible disappointment, though, given we've now learned we owe the feds $2,200 this year because of the payout from the company my wife works for being acquired and her stocks being purchased. Turns out they didn't elect to sell the shares to pay the taxes and give her the rest, they just cut her a check for the whole amount. I could have ordered the Fathom online, but it was also only 9% off, not the 15% they'd always discounted in years past. Not that great a :dill:.

Might just walk in and see if they're still willing to take the 9% off, but I'm also thinking this is a good excuse to hold off for another month or two, keep saving, and to try to find a better :dill: on a full squish.
Go in and ask them about it, can't hurt anything and they might honor the sales price. :iono: I've had a shop offer that on a Giant before. Was back in 2009.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 pm Tempting af

I think it all depends on what you're really looking for. To me, a gravel bike is more for long-term comfort than being snappy and stiff. Alloy rims will give a tiny bit and will be more in line with that theme than carbons, IMO, but if you really want to take out some weight the extra $200 would seem worth it IMO.

:wasteful: away.
Yeah all up cost for the Macho Man plus this wheelset would be $200 less than the all up cost of the Macho King itself. I really wanted to just buy the Macho King but not available so :iono: not an option.

Crabon rams should ride smoother vertically and stiffer laterally. They're wider than any aluminum rim so they'll give the tire more volume, and tubeless where the current rams are not tubeless compatible. This bike will be used as a rigid hardtail sometimes :hubba:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:51 pm Good news / bad news on my hunt for a new :boxodicks:. Because Butler won on Friday, we decided to stay in Detroit to watch the second round game on Sunday. We lost. :(

Go in and ask them about it, can't hurt anything and they might honor the sales price. :iono: I've had a shop offer that on a Giant before. Was back in 2009.
Was that the last time you bought a MTB?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Was that the last time you bought a MTB?
Yeah when I got the X Caliber.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:ohdang:

Dude on Facebook is selling a 2018 Trance Advanced 1 in my size. Dat bloo. :jimp:

Guy is asking $3,949, but bicycle blue book says it's only worth $2,950 or so. On a MSRP of of $5,100? :nuke: :lolol: